US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
diamond said:

the core conservative base does not want mccain.

Breaking: Dobson Slams McCain on Ingraham
Released as a Statement Ingraham read over the air.

I am deeply disappointed the Republican Party seems poised to select a nominee who did not support a Constitutional amendment to protect the institution of marriage, voted for embryonic stem cell research to kill nascent human beings, opposed tax cuts that ended the marriage penalty, has little regard for freedom of speech, organized the Gang of 14 to preserve filibusters in judicial hearings, and has a legendary temper and often uses foul and obscene language.

I am convinced Sen. McCain is not a conservative, and in fact, has gone out of his way to stick his thumb in the eyes of those who are. He has sounded at times more like a member of the other party. McCain actually considered leaving the GOP caucus in 2001, and approached John Kerry about being Kerry’s running mate in 2004. McCain also said publicly that Hillary Clinton would make a good president. Given these and many other concerns, a spoonful of sugar does NOT make the medicine go down. I cannot, and will not, vote for Sen. John McCain, as a matter of conscience.

But what a sad and melancholy decision this is for me and many other conservatives. Should Sen. McCain capture the nomination as many assume, I believe this general election will offer the worst choices for president in my lifetime. I certainly can’t vote for Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama based on their virulently anti-family policy positions. If these are the nominees in November, I simply will not cast a ballot for president for the first time in my life. These decisions are my personal views and do not represent the organization with which I am affiliated. They do reflect my deeply held convictions about the institution of the family, about moral and spiritual beliefs, and about the welfare of our country.

This could swing it for Mitt in the South.

Now it's OK to bring religion into it? Wow your consistancy sucks...

Irvine511 said:
mirror, mirror, on the wall ...

who better to point the finger

than one that has been washed clean by Jesus blood?

us unclean just don't get it

even though we do get some:wink:

deep said:

who better to point the finger

than one that has been washed clean by Jesus blood?

us unclean just don't get it

even though we do get some:wink:

if you're feeling unclean, i recommend showering together beforehand. preferably without Jesus's blood.

I just saw that bigot asshole Glenn Beck on CNN parroting the same thing - that he's voting for Hillary in the general because McCain makes baby Jesus cry (or some such).

anitram said:
I just saw that bigot asshole Glenn Beck on CNN parroting the same thing - that he's voting for Hillary in the general because McCain makes baby Jesus cry (or some such).

he's got something in common with diamond.

and i bet you can guess what.

anitram said:

I didn't know that Glenn Beck lived in the future and already knows that Hillary (and McCain for that matter) are getting the nominations. That kicks ass!:rockon:

phillyfan26 said:
The GOP's going to explode.

I'm reading Tom Brokaw's newest book right now, called "Boom: Voices of the 60s." The parallels I'm noticing between the 1968 election and this one are unbelievably similar. The way the Republican party is fracturing and fighting amongst itself is almost identical to the way Democratic party fell apart so to speak, during the 68 campaign. I feel like I'm reading about our current situation from everything to the war to civil rights (although now more for non-racial minorities, etc.) On a side note, the book is excellent. I'd highly recommend it to any one interested in that time and how it connects and continues to this day.

Apparently Hillary and McCain have something in common when it comes to the irrational levels of loathing some elements in their own party have for them.

yolland said:
Apparently Hillary and McCain have something in common when it comes to the irrational levels of loathing some elements in their own party have for them.

Bill Maher was on Larry King last night and he talked about this a bit (with respect to Hillary), saying that people who are so adamantly anti-Hillary are really reflecting something ugly about themselves moreso than making a statement about her.

anitram said:

Bill Maher was on Larry King last night and he talked about this a bit (with respect to Hillary), saying that people who are so adamantly anti-Hillary are really reflecting something ugly about themselves moreso than making a statement about her.
could hold true for Rush Limbaugh and the other McCain haters, too.

I haven't followed the whole thread. Just saw this and thought I'd do a drive by & post...

No More 'Pink Houses' For McCain
By Brandon Barker
Feb 5th 2008 12:20PM

Whether he was lobbying for a John Mellencamp endorsement for his presidential bid or simply looking for a rousing, all-American song to rally his supporters, we will never know. Because, according to Rolling Stone, the popular heartland rocker has quietly asked Republican Sen. John McCain to stop playing "Our Country," "Pink Houses" or any other Mellencamp tune at his political events.

Mellencamp, a balladeer of middle class sufferance, is a Democrat and, until recently, a supporter of John Edwards' 2008 presidential campaign. In fact, Mellencamp even interrupted a performance of his song "Small Town" at an Iowa concert so that the former North Carolina Senator could let it be known to the crowd that he too came from a small town. The crowd had a mixed response, as you can imagine.

But this leaves McCain in a real bind. With his campaign gathering support and delegates, now comes the time for his staff to nail down a campaign song. And, during this stormy political season, Toby Keith is just not going to cut it.

Though a Republican, McCain is still a folksy man-of-the-people, a war hero, a gritty underdog who all-out demands a good American-penned tune. But with patriotic artists like Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi and John Mellencamp off-limits to conservatives, where does he turn?

http://news.aol.com/political-machi...ink-houses-for-mccain/?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Lila64 said:
I haven't followed the whole thread. Just saw this and thought I'd do a drive by & post...

No More 'Pink Houses' For McCain
By Brandon Barker
Feb 5th 2008 12:20PM

Whether he was lobbying for a John Mellencamp endorsement for his presidential bid or simply looking for a rousing, all-American song to rally his supporters, we will never know. Because, according to Rolling Stone, the popular heartland rocker has quietly asked Republican Sen. John McCain to stop playing "Our Country," "Pink Houses" or any other Mellencamp tune at his political events.

Mellencamp, a balladeer of middle class sufferance, is a Democrat and, until recently, a supporter of John Edwards' 2008 presidential campaign. In fact, Mellencamp even interrupted a performance of his song "Small Town" at an Iowa concert so that the former North Carolina Senator could let it be known to the crowd that he too came from a small town. The crowd had a mixed response, as you can imagine.

But this leaves McCain in a real bind. With his campaign gathering support and delegates, now comes the time for his staff to nail down a campaign song. And, during this stormy political season, Toby Keith is just not going to cut it.

Though a Republican, McCain is still a folksy man-of-the-people, a war hero, a gritty underdog who all-out demands a good American-penned tune. But with patriotic artists like Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi and John Mellencamp off-limits to conservatives, where does he turn?

http://news.aol.com/political-machi...ink-houses-for-mccain/?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Bono loves everybody. McCain can pick a U2 song. Sure Edge, Adam, and Larry might be pissed, but they'll get over it.:wink:

Haha, Mellencamp did the same thing to Reagan back in '84 when Reagan was also trying to use "Pink Houses" in his campaign. I always wondered if Reagan had actually bothered to listen to the lyrics...

Irvine511 said:
Reagan thought that "born in the USA" was a patriotic song.

It might be the most patriotic song of all, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom