US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread #6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Snare of Privilege

By ELISABETH BUMILLER
New York Times, May 25

WASHINGTON — Hillary Rodham Clinton, Wellesley ’69, Yale Law ’73 and the first lady of the land for eight years, is suddenly a working-class heroine of guns and whiskey shots. Barack Obama, Columbia ’83 and Harvard Law ’91, visits bowling alleys and beer halls and talks about his single mother who lived on food stamps. John S. McCain III, United States Naval Academy ’58, the son and grandson of admirals and the husband of one of the richer women in Arizona, chases after the conservative, anti-elite religious base of the Republican Party, and prefers to talk about the “cabin” at his Sedona weekend retreat rather than the Phoenix home lushly featured in the pages of Architectural Digest in 2005.

In an increasingly populist country, it’s not surprising that all three presidential contenders have been sprinting away from the elitist label for much of this primary season. But do they really expect to get away with it? More to the point, should they? Don’t voters want the best and brightest, and best-credentialed, rising to the top? Not exactly. Americans have been ambivalent about elites since the nation was founded by revolutionaries who were also, in many cases, landed gentry. And status and wealth still play an outsize role in our supposedly classless society.

Our presidential history is a case in point. Although there has long been an anti-aristocratic bent to American politics, voters have put some famous aristocrats (including two Roosevelts, one Kennedy, all Harvard men) into the White House, and have all but idolized them as well. Over the last 20 years, every president has been a graduate of Yale. In 2004, two members of the university’s rarefied secret society, Skull and Bones, ran against each other, and the more elite candidate, George W. Bush (Andover, Yale, Harvard Business School, son of a president), won.

But it’s not always easy to say exactly who, or what, constitutes the elite—especially in recent decades. In his book The Power Elite, published in 1956, the leftist thinker C. Wright Mills identified a class “composed of political, economic, and military men,” who harnessed “the major means of production” along with “the newly enlarged means of violence” created in the nuclear age. In 1975, the neoconservative Irving Kristol described the elite, or “the new class,” as he termed it, as a confederacy of like-minded liberals in a range of professions—from journalism to law—who were “suspicious of, and hostile to, the market precisely because the market is so vulgarly democratic.” Mr. Mills and Mr. Kristol shared the belief that “the elite,” however they were defined, wielded disproportionate influence. This year, these competing views remain in place. Republicans sneer at Democrats for being cultural elitists, and Democrats deride Republicans as economic elitists. But the old labels have been turned inside out.

Mrs. Clinton and Mr. McCain have both derided Mr. Obama as “elitist” for his remarks about bitter rural voters who “cling” to guns and religion, even as Mr. Obama, in a counterpunch, mocked her courtship of gun owners, depicting her as a kind of ersatz Annie Oakley “packing a six-shooter” in a duck blind. And Mr. McCain, throwing a haymaker of his own, pointed out in a recent speech to members of the National Rifle Association that “someone should tell Senator Obama that ducks are usually hunted with shotguns.” Amid all this, some have noted that we have reached a curious moment in American history: an African-American candidate, born seven years after the Supreme Court repudiated segregation in public schools and four years before the Voting Rights Act was passed, finds himself struggling to overcome an aura of privilege. “It really is a delicious irony that the first serious black candidate for president should suddenly be described as elite,” said Tom Wolfe, the author of Bonfire of the Vanities and a longtime chronicler of the nation’s fixation on status.

One reason is that Mr. Obama holds two Ivy League degrees at a time when not all Americans accept the notion of an Ivy League education as a triumph of American opportunity. As elite campuses have become more culturally diverse, but not necessarily more accessible to many in the middle class, the perception persists that high-powered connections still matter. “Most people in America just don’t buy into the idea of a meritocracy as defined by Ivy League meritocrats,” said Nicholas Lemann, the dean of Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism and the author of The Big Test, a history of the SAT and the rise of the American meritocracy. “That’s one reason why the average American buys the person who doesn’t have fancy college credentials but who built a business from scratch, like the guy who owns a Toyota dealership in Marietta, Ga., and who grew up poor.”

In a nation without a titled aristocracy, an elite education may well be the most important membership card. “American elites have a problem that the Europeans don’t, which is how to assure that their children and their children’s children retain their elevated social position,” said Jason Kaufman, a Harvard sociologist who has written on elites and American culture. “Americans do this through cultural institutions and exclusion—art museums, classical music and tremendously elitist universities.”

There may be another reason Americans are skeptical about the idea that the best rise to the top: those at the top haven’t performed too well lately. Christopher Buckley, Yale ’75, the novelist and humorist, notes that recent Iraq books contain echoes of The Best and the Brightest, David Halberstam’s classic account of the huge failures of the Ivy League brain trust in the Kennedy White House who propelled the nation into Vietnam. “If you loved Vietnam, brought to you by Harvard and Yale, you’ll love Iraq,” Mr. Buckley said. Consider some crucial players in the Iraq war: former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, Princeton ’54; Vice President Dick Cheney, Yale dropout; I. Lewis Libby, Yale ’72; and L. Paul Bremer III, the former top American civilian administrator in Baghdad, Yale ’63, Harvard Business ’66. Mr. Bush, Mr. Bremer and Mr. Libby also graduated from Andover. Mr. Buckley recalled a famous line uttered by his father, William F. Buckley Jr., Yale ’50, who observed in the 1960s that he’d rather “be governed by the first 2000 names in the Boston telephone book than by the 2000 members of the Harvard faculty.”

Ivy League credentials aside, what matters in the end to most voters, when it comes to choosing a president, is not academic pedigree, but rather the candidates’ ability to make an emotional connection and to win trust and confidence. The most famous aristocrat-presidents of the 20th century, John F. Kennedy and Theodore and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, all had that gift, and it outweighed the advantages—and drawbacks—of education, wealth and privilege. This year’s focus on the crucial swing states, and their large working-class populations, has made inspiring those voters and playing down elitist credentials a political necessity. At the very least, Mrs. Clinton’s lopsided primary victories in West Virginia and Kentucky show how much more work Mr. Obama, the likely Democratic nominee, must do with this critical slice of the electorate. “We believe in the best and the brightest, but you’ve also got to relate to ordinary people,” said Ed Rollins, the longtime Republican strategist who was the national chairman this year of the unsuccessful presidential campaign of former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas. “I think one of the problems that Obama has is that he gives a magnificent speech, he can inspire massive crowds, but he seems aloof up close.”

The lesson has not been lost on Mr. McCain, whose third-generation Annapolis lineage makes him perhaps the most elite of the three candidates and is married to a woman whose money financed his political career. In a speech last month in Inez, Ky., the Appalachian coal-mining hollow where in 1964 Lyndon B. Johnson declared his war on poverty, Mr. McCain tried to bridge the difference. “I cannot claim that the circumstances of our lives are similar in every respect,” Mr. McCain told a friendly crowd at the Martin County Courthouse. “I’m not the son of a coal miner. I wasn’t raised by a family that made its living from the land or toiled in a mill or worked in the local schools or health clinic. I was raised in the United States Navy, and after my own naval career, I became a politician. My work isn’t as hard as yours.” Nonetheless, Mr. McCain assured the crowd that “you are my compatriots,” and “that means more to me than almost any other association.”

It was a peculiarly American sentiment—hopeful, political, perhaps na?ve. But it was as old as the nation itself. “I am a living witness that any one of your children may look to come here as my father’s child has,” Lincoln told Union troops assembled at the White House in August 1864, before promising them all “equal privileges in the race of life.”

Last edited:
since we are going to 1000 replies before these threads close

Why not open the new one with the last 100 replies

or at least the last 2 pages of the 68 pages?

100 posts is a bit too much clicking and selecting for me but I went ahead and moved the last two pages.

^ thanks

one thing that really bothers me

is all the Kennedys that are supporting Obama and suggesting Hillary should bow out?

when we have that 1980 Democratic Primary

I was 24-25 in 1980, and I do remember it.

Kennedy’s official announcement was scheduled for early November 1979. There was a prime time interview with CBS’s Roger Mudd and it was a minor disaster. Kennedy flubbed a number of the questions and couldn’t exactly explain why he was running, and the polls, which showed him leading the President by 58-25 in August now had him ahead 49-39.[5] Then the hostages were taken in Tehran, Iran and the bottom fell out of the Kennedy campaign.

Carter’s approval ratings jumped in the 60-percent range in some polls, due to a "rally ‘round the flag" effect[6] and an appreciation of Carter's calm handling of the crisis. Kennedy was suddenly left far behind. Carter beat Kennedy decisively in Iowa and New Hampshire. Carter decisively defeated Kennedy everywhere except Massachusetts, until impatience began to build with the President’s strategy on Iran. When the later primaries in New York, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut came around, it was Kennedy who won largely due to such impatience.

Carter was still able to maintain a substantial lead even after Kennedy swept the last batch of primaries in June. Despite this, Kennedy refused to drop out, and the 1980 Democratic National Convention was one of the nastiest on record. On the penultimate day, Kennedy conceded the nomination and called for a more liberal party platform in what many saw as the best speech of his career. On the platform on the final day, Kennedy for the most part ignored Carter.

The delegate tally at the convention was in part:

* Jimmy Carter – 2,129.02
* Ted Kennedy – 1,150.48

* 14 others – 66.5

In the vice presidential roll call, Mondale was re-nominated with 2,428.7 votes to 723.3 not voting and 179 scattering.

The popular votes in the primaries were:[7]

* Jimmy Carter (inc.) - 10,043,016 (51.13%)
* Ted Kennedy - 7,381,693 (37.58%)

* Unpledged - 1,288,423 (6.56%)
* Jerry Brown - 575,296 (2.93%)
* Lyndon LaRouche - 177,784 (0.91%)
* Cliff Finch - 48,032 (0.25%)

That's a point against one Kennedy, not all Kennedys.

And perhaps this one Kennedy knows why he calls for Clinton to quit. ;)

I don't know where this belongs

but this guy Lieberman :down:

well, let's just say I hope he can not pull off a re-Election in 4 years

Lieberman to speak at conference hosted by Hagee

By ANDREW MIGA – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Joe Lieberman said Wednesday he will address a conference hosted by the Rev. John Hagee, who was spurned by Republican John McCain for his claim that God sent Adolf Hitler to help Jews reach the promised land.

"I believe that Pastor Hagee has made comments that are deeply unacceptable and hurtful," Lieberman, I-Conn., said in a statement. "I also believe that a person should be judged on the entire span of his or her life's works. Pastor Hagee has devoted much of his life to fighting anti-Semitism and building bridges between Christians and Jews."

Lieberman is one of the strongest supporters of likely GOP presidential nominee McCain. He also has been mentioned as a possible running mate.

Lieberman plans to appear at Hagee's "Christians United for Israel" summit in Washington. He called Hagee's group "a vital force in supporting the war against terrorism and defending our ally, Israel."

Language in the Constitution stated that each enslaved black man be counted as three-fifths of a person :no:
for the purposes of determining representation in Congress.

Now Howard Dead and some in the DNC want each voter of Michigan and Florida to be counted as one-half of a person :huh:
for the purposes of determining representation at the Democratic Convention?

610x.jpg

It is 2008,
these people deserve better.

The people that showed up at the polls and took the time to vote had no control over when the primary was held.

Why not have a solution that punishes the people that are responsible?

Any delegate that is a state legislator who voted in favor of moving up the state primary should be barred from the convention.

The people that showed up at the polls and took the time to vote had no control over when the primary was held.

Any delegate that is a state legislator who voted in favor of moving up the state primary should be barred from the convention.

the people who showed up and voted broke the rules. what about the people who stayed home and didn't vote -- and followed the rules -- because they were told that their votes wouldn't count. are they to be disenfranchised?

I am so frustrated and disheartened with this process so much right now, being a voter from Michigan who participated in the January primary. Ugh.

I am so frustrated and disheartened with this process so much right now, being a voter from Michigan who participated in the January primary. Ugh.

In 1789, African-Americans were defined in the Constitution as 3/5 of a person for counting representation.

In 2008 you have been defined by the DNC as 1/2 of a person for counting representation.

We have come a long way. :sick:

I am so frustrated and disheartened with this process Ugh.

Well, perhaps if you were a non-citizen in prison for attempted murder

you would get a full vote in the Democratic Primaries.

Can some one please tell me why these people have a vote in choosing the Democrat nominee?

Puerto Rico inmates cast early ballots for Dem. primary

BAYAMON, Puerto Rico (AP) — Arturo Vazquez is locked up for assault and robbery, but he and hundreds of other prisoners may have a say in choosing the next president of the United States, casting early ballots Friday in Puerto Rico's key Democratic primary.

This Spanish-speaking Caribbean territory lets imprisoned felons vote. And Sunday's primary is hugely important: It may clinch the nomination for Sen. Barack Obama or buoy his rival, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Vazquez made no bones about his choice after he voted in one of several curtained cardboard booths erected in a lunchroom with steel tables.

It wasn't Clinton.

"No woman should ever be president of the United States. It ought to be a man," said the burly convict with dark, close-cropped hair and a gray prison jumpsuit. He told a reporter he marked an 'X' for Sen. Barack Obama on the ballot which he slipped into a cardboard box.

But some other inmates at Correctional Institute 501 in this San Juan suburb argued that it's time for a female president.

A dozen inmates interviewed by The Associated Press at the compound of white buildings surrounded by barbed wire said they were grateful for the opportunity to help nominate a future American president.

Elliot Dones, 32, serving a seven-year sentence for robbery, said he is excited that the United States is showing interest in what Puerto Ricans have to say.

"I feel great. I feel mostly that we matter to the United States," said Dones, who voted for Clinton.

Omar Gonzalez, counting down a prison sentence for attempted murder, hopes Puerto Rico's economy is strong enough to give him a job when he is released — and believes that will depend in part on policy decisions made in Washington and who wins the presidency.

In 1789, African-Americans were defined in the Constitution as 3/5 of a person for counting representation.

In 2008 you have been defined by the DNC as 1/2 of a person for counting representation.

We have come a long way. :sick:

course its only fair to point out that the reasons and motivations for the definition are quite different.

I'm not really sure what I think about the whole Michigan/Florida debacle so don't read this as some sort of closet Obama-agenda-pushing. I just think that this is misrepresentation of the situation. African Americans were so defined because of slavery and racial prejudice, these voters are so defined in effort to resolve the issue of those states breaking the DNC rules. It's not meant to--nor does it--disparage or diminish their humanity.

Just sayin, is all. . .

course its only fair to point out that the reasons and motivations for the definition are quite different.

I'm not really sure what I think about the whole Michigan/Florida debacle so don't read this as some sort of closet Obama-agenda-pushing. I just think that this is misrepresentation of the situation. African Americans were so defined because of slavery and racial prejudice, these voters are so defined in effort to resolve the issue of those states breaking the DNC rules. It's not meant to--nor does it--disparage or diminish their humanity.

Just sayin, is all. . .

Deep's posts are more powerful the less you actually analyze them.

Now you've just gone and ruined it.

;)

McCain says using Google to vet VP candidates

Mon Jun 9, 4:56 PM ET

It turns out choosing a vice president isn't that complicated after all.

Republican presidential candidate John McCain joked on Monday that Google, the popular Internet search engine, had made investigating his list of potential candidates a little bit easier.

"You know, basically it's a Google," he said to laughter at a fund-raising luncheon when asked how the selection process was going. "What you can find out now on the Internet -- it's remarkable. I learned I have a pet name for my wife."

McCain could be reading our posts.

rumor mongering at its worst

scarlett_johansson.jpg

Actress has a crush on Obama

By: Jeffrey Ressner

June 10, 2008 02:31 PM EST

Every presidential candidate can use a sexy blonde movie star to liven up his campaign, appear at big money events and rally the entertainment community. Sen. Barack Obama’s go-to Hollywood hottie is Scarlett Johansson, a starlet who trades frequent e-mails with the presumptive Democratic nominee. Johansson met Obama several times,one-on-one on many occasions.

Could Scarlet be the "Whitey" that has someone so upset? :reject:

or is this rumor mongering at its worst?

^It's easier to numb the pain if she thinks of them as 75% black.

it's true, she might look at them as little radicalists in training who's inculcated self-loathing of their 25% white blood will make them that much more powerful when The Revolution comes and the streets run with the blood of Whitey.

i'll bet those little girls have been taught the terrorist fist-jab since the day they were born.

^Yeah, I knew the Obamas were terrorists when I saw them do that fist jab. I believe a similar picture of Bin Laden and Saddam doing one was Bush's key piece of intelligence for invading Iraq.:hmm:

^Yeah, I knew the Obamas were terrorists when I saw them do that fist jab. I believe a similar picture of Bin Laden and Saddam doing one was Bush's key piece of intelligence for invading Iraq.:hmm:

sure, go ahead and make light of the situation

do you ever wonder why Obama asked

"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately?"

Why do you think the Obamas shop at Whole Foods???????

What item is number one? on the terrorist shopping list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom