US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has he actually said that he can't use a keyboard? Or is this a report by a third party?

Because I remember specifically that a few weeks after he said he'd never sent an e-mail, he said that he was learning how to use the Internet or some such. Which then strikes me as odd if he can't utilize a keyboard?

"I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself," McCain told the New York Times in an interview that appeared Sunday. "I don't expect to be a great communicator, I don’t expect to set up my own blog, but I am becoming computer literate to the point where I can get the information that I need."

That keyboard thing just sounds very fishy to me at this point.

Anyone who thinks his past doesn't affect his physical health and mental health are fooling themselves.

Emphasis added on the mental health bit. My uncle is a Vietnam Vet & a staunch Louisiana Republican who's not voting for McCain. "No one would be right in the head after living in a box for that long" is what he says.

McCain's biggest political ploy also his political handicap? :hmm:

You know, if they want to put an end to the "John McCain is a liar" meme, maybe they better stop lying...

Sept. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Senator John McCain has drawn some of the biggest crowds of his presidential campaign since adding Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to his ticket on Aug. 29. Now officials say they can't substantiate the figures McCain's aides are claiming.

In recent days, journalists attending the rallies have been raising questions about the crowd estimates with the campaign. In a story on Sept. 11 about Palin's attraction for some Virginia women voters, Washington Post reporter Marc Fisher estimated the crowd to be 8,000, not the 23,000 cited by the campaign.

Until Palin, 44, joined him on the campaign trail, McCain, 72, had limited his political events to smaller town hall meetings and rallies of a few hundred people. His Democratic rival, Barack Obama, an Illinois senator, routinely draws thousands of people to his speeches, a phenomenon McCain has tried to use to his advantage by labeling Obama, 47, a celebrity.

That changed on Aug. 30, at Palin's first big public appearance after her nomination. The McCain campaign said 10,000 people showed up at the Consol Energy Arena in Washington, Pennsylvania, home of the Washington Wild Things baseball team.

The campaign attributed that estimate, and several that followed, to U.S. Secret Service figures, based on the number of people who passed through magnetometers.

``We didn't provide any numbers to the campaign,'' said Malcolm Wiley, a spokesman for the U.S. Secret Service.

Grim.

Bloomberg.com: Politics

:lol:

It's so ridiculous. Prior to the Palin pick, McCain was picking on Obama for being a celebrity. Now that he has Palin, he's practically screaming "look! I've got a celebrity, too! Vote McCain!" Except she's apparently not as popular as they're hyping her to be.

Maybe she can guest star on Kathy Griffin's show. :wink:

Anybody see McCain on The View? I watched pieces of it on youtube...

Why the hell would he agree to go on this show? He looked pathetic. Is he this desperate for the woman vote, or does he not understand women at all...

Anybody see McCain on The View? I watched pieces of it on youtube...

Why the hell would he agree to go on this show? He looked pathetic. Is he this desperate for the woman vote, or does he not understand women at all...

I think it's the women of the view who looked pathetic.

Whoopi: "So if you're elected president, am I going to become a slave?"

Yikes... :banghead:

Those Republicans, classy to the core:

A conservative political forum on Saturday sold boxes of waffle mix depicting Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama as a racial stereotype on its front and wearing Arab-like headdress on its top flap.

The product, Obama Waffles, was meant as political satire, said Mark Whitlock and Bob DeMoss, two writers from Franklin, Tenn., who created the mix and sold it for $10 a box from a booth at the Values Voter Summit sponsored by the lobbying arm of the Family Research Council.

Republican Party stalwarts Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney were among speakers at the forum, which officials said drew 2,100 activists from 44 states.

While Obama Waffles takes aim at Obama's politics by poking fun at his public remarks and positions on issues, it also plays off the image of the classic pancake-mix icon Aunt Jemima, which has been widely criticized as a demeaning stereotype. Obama is portrayed with popping eyes and big, thick lips as he stares at a plate of waffles and smiles broadly.

My Way News - Forum sells 'Obama Waffles' with racial stereotype

I think that was BVS' main point though--"Why the hell would he agree to go on this show."
It's so ridiculous. Prior to the Palin pick, McCain was picking on Obama for being a celebrity. Now that he has Palin, he's practically screaming "look! I've got a celebrity, too! Vote McCain!"
To give her credit where credit is due, though--this is one thing Palin clearly IS good at. Star appeal, understanding what her likely and potential voters want on an emotional level and projecting that to them. It's a very different sort of iconic pull than Obama has, and in either case that's a dumb reason to vote for someone, but she does have it.

Last edited:

You're joking right? Out of all the comments you chose that one? She nailed him on that one.

Did you see his response? He realized he screwed up.

I think that was BVS' main point though--"Why the hell would he agree to go on this show."

Well it was part of my point. I think he probably thought it was going to be a soft TV spot where he could talk about Palin. I do agree parts of it were ridiculous, but there were also points where I think the women of The View really made good points and backed him in a corner that he wasn't expecting.

To give her credit where credit is due, though--this is one thing Palin clearly IS good at. Star appeal, understanding what her likely and potential voters want on an emotional level and projecting that to them. It's a very different sort of iconic pull than Obama has, and in either case that's a dumb reason to vote for someone, but she does have it.

:yes:

If the level of interest in her remains strong through the next two months, I think she could be the key to a McCain victory.

The thing that bothers me the most about McCain winning is the apparent basis for the victory--a victory won through shallow means.

The sleep-deprived new parent speaks! :wink:

Yeah, I think if the level of media interest in her remains strong is probably the key. (Which at least for the moment is a bonus side effect of rationing her availability to interviewers, keeping her from taking questions on the stump, etc.) For now, she still has the momentum of novelty on her side: she arrived as an unknown to both the public and the media (unlike Biden--no juiciness left to squeeze there), a bona fide shock pick, and able to project the star appeal in person that McCain can't, while meanwhile Obama's appeal no longer feels new after all those months of airplay. There's a downside to this of course, which is that she's therefore also tempting, fresh meat and so everything about her is being gone over with a micrometer--but, a good PR team will have some tricks up its sleeve to try to convert that scrutiny into a silver lining by charging that this reflects desperation, that she's being savaged by sinister "piranhas" (as McCain's campaign manager put it), etc.

It's shallow, yeah, but campaign politics aren't known for profundity and neither are all these Someone-Just-Like-Me!!! voters (funny, isn't it, how all three male candidates are by all appearances devoted parents too, yet you don't hear millions of moms and dads out there gushing about how this means "he understands my issues" as a parent).

Last edited:
I'm watching his appearance on The View now. I'm surprised that they're asking such pointed questions.

When they asked why he endorsed campaigns that "we know are lies," he says they're not lies.

Unfortunately, they don't push further.

Folks, what do we think of McCain's argument as to why his campaign has gotten so slimy:

"Well, if Senator Obama had done as I asked and agreed to doing town hall meetings, the campaign wouldn't be like this."

?

Is that really an answer? Sure, McCain wouldn't be able to blatantly lie about Obama if he was right next to him, but is this really an acceptable cause of the slimy campaign that McCain's now running? :huh:

Plus, does Obama seriously have to do whatever McCain asks of him?? :doh:

I realize he's trying to make Obama look like the bad guy---"Well, he didn't do the reasonable thing"---but it's sooooooo stupid.

When they asked why he endorsed campaigns that "we know are lies," he says they're not lies.

Unfortunately, they don't push further.

It makes me sick how he just sits and there calmly says 'they're not lies' when everyone knows they are. How does he sleep? The ambition to be president has swallowed him whole.

Folks, what do we think of McCain's argument as to why his campaign has gotten so slimy:

"Well, if Senator Obama had done as I asked and agreed to doing town hall meetings, the campaign wouldn't be like this."

?

Is that really an answer? Sure, McCain wouldn't be able to blatantly lie about Obama if he was right next to him, but is this really an acceptable cause of the slimy campaign that McCain's now running? :huh:

Plus, does Obama seriously have to do whatever McCain asks of him?? :doh:

I realize he's trying to make Obama look like the bad guy---"Well, he didn't do the reasonable thing"---but it's sooooooo stupid.

It's revolting how he stands there talking with this sad tone of voice about the negative tone of the campaign as if he has nothing to do with it. Fucking disgusting.

Honest to God, every question they are asking is making him squirm.

This is very surprising to me.

?

Is that really an answer?

Paul Reiser wrote a great article about this.

Am I just losing my friggin' mind? Seriously. I keep looking around the room to see if I'm living in some suddenly altered state where everything we know is now called the opposite, and nobody notices. Or can stop it.

"I wish I didn't have to take your lunch money, but you should'nt of hadda brung it."

We're in the 3rd grade again. The skinny, smart kid who just moved in to the neighborhood is getting roughed-up by the asshole bully. The kid who hits you in the head with your hand and says, "Why're you hitting yourself? Why're you hitting yourself?"

"Um, actually I'm not. You're hitting me."

"You calling me a liar?"

"No, I'm just pointing out that..." SMACK!

"Why're you hitting yourself?"

And there seems to be no one to appeal to. There're no grown-ups around when you need 'em. No one to step in and say, "Alright, that's enough now. We don't do that here, fella." And in the absence of any authority, the asshole gets to keep doing it.

"Why're you hitting yourself? SMACK! Why're you hitting yourself?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom