US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if we are to believe that McCain is an honourable man who has fallen victim to Rove and has no say in his own campaign then pray tell how are we supposed to believe that once he gets into office he'll suddenly be this paragon of moderate thought, appointing moderate judges and working with a Dem-controlled Congress.

Talk about cognitive dissonance.

John McCain is a Good Man who's a Straight Talker and a Maverick who will bring Change to Washington. that's all we need to know.

that and the fact that Sarah Palin has a baby. that's all you need to know about her.

stop with your questions. you're like the media, asking rude things. like Putin, she'll talk when she's good and ready, and on her terms, so long as you are "deferential" and aren't sexist.

wow. you can't make this shit up:

"We're not going to spend $3 million of your tax dollars to study the DNA of bears in Montana," McCain said earlier this year, referring to a request from Montana for federal money to study the endangered grizzly bear. "I don't know if it was a paternity issue or criminal, but it was a waste of money."

According to a “summary of requests for federal appropriations” posted to her budget office’s website earlier this year, Palin requested millions of federal dollars for everything from improving recreational halibut fishing to studying the mating habits of crabs and the DNA of harbor seals.

I know I'm obsessed with this guy, but this made me laugh

YouTube - How Keith Olbermann Tonight Made Himself Worst Person!

You posted this same thing last night. One has nothing to do with the other. For starters, the clip you post is an obviously doctored clip. The creator makes no effort to make it look like it's real.

Secondly, Olbermann was ripping the guy a new one for making fun of Jon Stewart's monologue on the first Daily Show after 9/11 - a monologue that YOU complimented in the 9/11 thread.

I don't understand why you're posting an unfunny doctored clip in response to a special comment.

I don't understand why you're posting an unfunny doctored clip in response to a special comment.

Following his "honorable" presidential candidate's example of making stuff up to score slimy points? :shrug:

You posted this same thing last night. One has nothing to do with the other. For starters, the clip you post is an obviously doctored clip. The creator makes no effort to make it look like it's real.

Secondly, Olbermann was ripping the guy a new one for making fun of Jon Stewart's monologue on the first Daily Show after 9/11 - a monologue that YOU complimented in the 9/11 thread.

I don't understand how Olbermann can say McCain and Republicans have phony tears about September 11th when he scolded Gibson for saying someone had phony tears. I read your explanation a few pages back, and I just don't get it. How is this not hypocrisy?

I think the point is Keith said he would never doubt the sincerity of anyone's pain, and is now calling McCain's use of 9/11 as phony crocidle tears...

It is hypocritical.

No, I think Olbermann's main point is that McCain and the Republicans, as they did in 2004, are politicizing 9/11 to their advantage. The RNC said they were going to pay a special tribute to 9/11 with a video that even children should see. What they did instead was show some of the most horrific pictures in order to rile up old emotions, and cheer on stories of a war hero who "knows" how to capture bin Laden & protect our country.

Politics, not tribute.

I don't understand how Olbermann can say McCain and Republicans have phony tears about September 11th when he scolded Gibson for saying someone had phony tears. I read your explanation a few pages back, and I just don't get it. How is this not hypocrisy?

It's not hypocrisy because Stewart had no crocodile tears. Gibson was making shit up for his own idiotic amusement. The GOP's exploitation of 9/11 as a political tool is absolutely real.

Gibson was acting like Stewart was faking his emotions, something nobody in their right mind would think. It was stupid. That's why Olbermann called him out, for implying crocodile tears in a situation where the clearly weren't any.

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of people in their right mind see the reality of the GOP's exploitation of 9/11. Olbermann is calling this situation out because everybody sees it. It is legitimate. Not a baseless, idiotic, insensitive, attention-grabbing ploy like Gibson's claims.

No, I think Olbermann's main point is that McCain and the Republicans, as they did in 2004, are politicizing 9/11 to their advantage. The RNC said they were going to pay a special tribute to 9/11 with a video that even children should see. What they did instead was show some of the most horrific pictures in order to rile up old emotions, and cheer on stories of a war hero who "knows" how to capture bin Laden & protect our country.

Politics, not tribute.

Thank you.

Politics, not tribute.

Yes Republicans have crossed the line several times and politicized 9/11, but Keith could have said it differently. The whole "crocodile tears" part doesn't sit well with the previous clip.

Yes Republicans have crossed the line several times and politicized 9/11, but Keith could have said it differently. The whole "crocodile tears" part doesn't sit well with the previous clip.

I do think the delivery was over the top, but the point is valid.

He said he would never doubt anyone's pain. There is no 'pain' in the GOP regarding 9/11 to doubt, at least not in any of the people he is referring to, at least not that they've shown publicly in YEARS. It's not like the Romney/Guiliani/whoever speeches about 9/11 at the convention seemed at all sincere. It's not like they weren't completely politically transparent. It's not like they all looked like they MIGHT be in some real emotional pain and therefore we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

It is not at all the same situation as the Stewart clip that was being mocked in the earlier clip. The two are not comparable imo.

Hmm...

Rasmussen Poll with an end date of 09/07 had McCain up by 7 in Ohio - 51-44.

But a Quinnipiac poll with an end date of 09/09 and a sample size nearly three times larger than that of the Rasmussen poll has Obama up by 5 - 49-44. Interesting.

Also of interest, the most recent CNN/Time poll for New Hampshire, with an end date of 09/09 - looks to be the most recent poll we have for NH at this point - has Obama's lead increased to six points - 51-45.

Of concern is that the most recent poll for New Mexico - a Rasmussen poll with an end date of 09/08 - has McCain suddenly ahead by two points - 49-47, where Obama had had a fairly comfortable advantage there up to this point.

No recent enough polls for Indiana, but rumblings are the the Obama campaign's internal polling says that Indiana is close enough for them to take out considerable television ad time and maybe schedule some campaign appearances there.

Still waiting for a new poll for Nevada - nothing beyond 08/26 there.

All recent polling suggests that Obama still has a slim lead in Colorado.

Rasmussen poll with an end date of 09/07 has McCain up by 2 in Virginia - 49-47, as does a SurveyUSA poll with an end date of 09/07, while a CNN/Time poll with an end date of 09/09 has McCain up by 4 there - 50-46.

CNN/Time gives Obama a 4 point - 49-45 - lead in Michigan as of 09/09, while two other polls give him a 1 point - 45-44 and 47-46 - lead in Michigan as of 09/07.

In Pennsylvania, as of 09/09, Quinnipiac has Obama up by 3 - 48-45, while as of 09/07, Rasmussen and Strategic Vision have him up by 2 - 47-45. Many are suggesting that Pennsylvania is not as close as it looks - that it will go Obama.

In Florida, a Rasmussen poll with an end date of 09/07 has it tied, while three other polls - PPP with an end date of 09/07, Quinnipiac with an end date of 09/09, and InAdv/Pollposition with an end date of 09/10 - have McCain up by 5 - 50-45, 7 - 50-43, and 8 - 50-42, respectively.

Interesting times.

factcheck.org gets pissed:

Those attacks on Palin that we debunked didn't come from Obama.

Summary

A McCain-Palin ad has FactCheck.org calling Obama's attacks on Palin "absolutely false" and "misleading." That's what we said, but it wasn't about Obama.

Our article criticized anonymous e-mail falsehoods and bogus claims about Palin posted around the Internet. We have no evidence that any of the claims we found to be false came from the Obama campaign.

The McCain-Palin ad also twists a quote from a Wall Street Journal columnist. He said the Obama camp had sent a team to Alaska to "dig into her record and background." The ad quotes the WSJ as saying the team was sent to "dig dirt."

Update, Sept. 10: Furthermore, the Obama campaign insists that no researchers have been sent to Alaska and that the Journal owes them a correction.
Analysis
We don't object to people reprinting our articles. In fact, our copyright policy encourages it. But we've also asked that "the editorial integrity of the article be preserved" and told those who use our items that "you should not edit the original in such a way as to alter the message."

He is. Like I said before he's riding her coattails right now, when some of you realize her coattails aren't long enough you're going to realize you picked the wrong guy, and your wrong guy picked the wrong woman.

You are really offering a hostage to fortune with statements like that.

It's ok....

I even attached the Campaign fund raising letter McCain is sending to potential supports trying to make $$$ off of the web smears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom