US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bush Said To Give Orders Allowing Raids in Pakistan

WASHINGTON — President Bush secretly approved orders in July that for the first time allow American Special Operations forces to carry out ground assaults inside Pakistan without the prior approval of the Pakistani government, according to senior American officials.

Link
Providing a potential sneak preview of his general election talking points, McCain asked, “Will we risk the confused leadership of an inexperienced candidate who once suggested bombing our ally, Pakistan?”

I await Strongbow telling us how happy he is that Obama has finally come around to McCain and Bush's long held position on bombing Pakistan without their government's approval.

Maybe the educated elite libruls devote their time reading more academic elitist works as opposed to lowest-common denominator political gotcha books.

:wave:

this homo-communist-librul-elitist-urbanist-northeasterner just looks down his *nose* at the common flyover state folks.

Is Biden trying to step aside?....

Political Radar: Biden: Hillary a Better Pick Than Me

"Make no mistake about this, Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight. She’s a truly close personal friend, she is qualified to be president of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she’s first rate, I mean that sincerely, she’s first rate, so let’s get that straight."

FAR BE IT FROM ME TO SPREAD RUMORS ... but it has been whispered that Biden has prostate cancer. again, I AM NOT ENDORSING THIS OR SAYING THAT IT IS TRUE NOR AM I SAYING ANYTHING AT ALL REALLY.

:shrug:

could be another fascinating wrinkle.

Well, if integrity and Sarah Palin are the things team Obama want to talk about, I'm sure the McCain campaign won't mind. You can't prove someone lacks integrity because of a flap over pigs, lies and lipstick, especially someone like John McCain. Acting like your running against Sarah Palin rather than John McCain also is unlikely to be a winning strategy.

how do you sleep?

Bush Said To Give Orders Allowing Raids in Pakistan

Link

I await Strongbow telling us how happy he is that Obama has finally come around to McCain and Bush's long held position on bombing Pakistan without their government's approval.

So your admitting that Obama was for bombing Pakistan without their approval?

Congratulations, perhaps you might have finally found one idea that Obama could say he was for before others decided to jump on board, although at a different time and because of changed conditions. The administration clearly weighed and considered the consequences of such actions, and had previously felt that the negative consequences of that type of action outweighed the benefits. But with the changes in the political situation in Pakistan, the inability or unwillingness of the Pakistani military to bring security to the border areas, and the increased insurgent activity from there, appears to have changed the caculation on this particular issue.

Well not to spread any rumors, but today on a certain radio show they were talking about Obama's private meeting with Clinton in Harlem, some were speculating a change of VP to counteract McCain's pick and of course right radio had a field day with this... but there was a caller that claimed he "knew" Biden had cancer and that this may have been a meeting to discuss this. The caller was more than likely full of shit, or maybe he had read deep's post earlier about Biden... who knows:shrug:

If the Dems do this it will look like the final act of desperation and will backfire on them tenfold.

So your admitting that Obama was for bombing Pakistan without their approval?

Congratulations, perhaps you might have finally found one idea that Obama could say he was for before others decided to jump on board, although at a different time and because of changed conditions. The administration clearly weighed and considered the consequences of such actions, and had previously felt that the negative consequences of that type of action outweighed the benefits. But with the changes in the political situation in Pakistan, the inability or unwillingness of the Pakistani military to bring security to the border areas, and the increased insurgent activity from there, appears to have changed the caculation on this particular issue.

"admitting" seems a weird choice of words. With articles like these:

"If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will," Obama said.

it seemed pretty straightforward that he'd operate without Musharraf's approval if they had the intelligence.

Palin is still a sham. as those who excuse her inexperience like to remind us, it's still about the top of the ticket.

and when it comes to the top of the ticket, it's clear who the American people prefer.

If the Dems do this it will look like the final act of desperation and will backfire on them tenfold.

McGovern did that in 1972 and many claim it increased Nixons margin of victory. Nixon won with 61% of the popular vote in 1972 to 38% for McGovern. But given the situation with Hillary, maybe this would be different.

Palin is still a sham. as those who excuse her inexperience like to remind us, it's still about the top of the ticket.

and when it comes to the top of the ticket, it's clear who the American people prefer.

Thats a bit much to presume at this point considering the top of the Democratic ticket barely won his own party's nomination and although he had a small average lead of 3 points during the summer, that lead was still within the margin of error. Also, still no sign of the Obama Tsunami.

Thats a bit much to presume at this point considering the top of the Democratic ticket barely won his own party's nomination and although he had a small average lead of 3 points during the summer, that lead was still within the margin of error. Also, still no sign of the Obama Tsunami.

i know, right? with McCain's obvious experience, his GOP opponents being little more than freak show punchlines, and the fact that he was "right" on "the surge" and the super-cool $380 rimless running mate Sarah Palin has given him, on average, a tie in the polls, i guess we can conclude that Obama was just a flash in the pan?

or could it be that, when it all settles, most people will come to realize that Obama has actual policies to stand by and defend whereas McCain has sold his soul for some flash and sizzle, but what else?

i know, right? with McCain's obvious experience, his GOP opponents being little more than freak show punchlines, and the fact that he was "right" on "the surge" and the super-cool $380 rimless running mate Sarah Palin has given him, on average, a tie in the polls, i guess we can conclude that Obama was just a flash in the pan?

Hey, you were the one who claimed in early June that Obama's 6 point lead in the Gallup poll would be the closest McCain would ever get to him for the rest of the election season. This is the Democrats year remember, McCain is supposed to be defeated by a large margin. I mean it has to be a large margin since "McCain is a third Bush term", and "Bush is the worst President in US History". At this point, he shouldn't even be mentioning his opponent, let alone his running mate.

or could it be that, when it all settles, most people will come to realize that Obama has actual policies to stand by and defend whereas McCain has sold his soul for some flash and sizzle, but what else?

McCain is NOT the one who has been wrong about Iraq from the begining like Obama. He was not for leaving Saddam in power, abandoning Iraq before it is rebuilt, did not claim certain counter insurgency strategies would make violence increase, and does not support splitting Iraq into different countries.

He is not going to raid the US defense budget to pay for pet domestic programs, or restrict free trade. Unlike Obama he actually does have a record of working with people in the other party and of opposing his own party on various issues.

I think these things will appeal to many Americans, but given that in modern times, the country rarely stays with one party for more than two terms, Obama already has a leg up, not because of anything he has actually proposed, but just because he is not apart of the party in the White House at the moment.

So yes, things could very well fizzle and Obama could walk across the finish line with New Mexico, Colorado and Iowa in his pocket, just enough to become President.

Hey, you were the one who claimed in early June that Obama's 6 point lead in the Gallup poll would be the closest McCain would ever get to him for the rest of the election season. This is the Democrats year remember, McCain is supposed to be defeated by a large margin. I mean it has to be a large margin since "McCain is a third Bush term", and "Bush is the worst President in US History". At this point, he shouldn't even be mentioning his opponent, let alone his running mate.

hey, kiddo, we all speculate. if you're so desperate to feel good about yourself that you're going to bring up speculation that, even at the time itself was labeled by me as speculation, go right ahead. it simply make syou look more pathetic.

McCain is a 3rd Bush term, and, yes, Bush is the worst president at least in my lifetime. why do you think he literally phoned in his address to the RNC? why do you think McCain didn't mention him in his acceptance speech? why do you think McCain won't mention him when he's stumping? why do you think McCain has tried to steal not just Iraq policy from Obama but the overall platform of "change" from him as well?

it is the Democrats year. they are set to win big time in congress. McCain spent his RNC repudiating everything Bush stood for. had it been any nominee other than McCain, the man the Bush people savaged in 2000, it wouldn't even be a contest.

Bush is poison. his policies are the worst we've ever had in my lifetime.

i know you know this.

McCain is NOT the one who has been wrong about Iraq from the begining like Obama. He was not for leaving Saddam in power, abandoning Iraq before it is rebuilt, did not claim certain counter insurgency strategies would make violence increase, and does not support splitting Iraq into different countries.

oh, goodnes, STING, are you still going on about this? everyone knows that Iraq is over and the troops are coming home and that it was a mistake to begin with and the Bushies lied about everything to get us in there and it's been a colossal waste of money.

stop pretending like any serious person thinks any different.

He is not going to raid the US defense budget to pay for pet domestic programs, or restrict free trade. Unlike Obama he actually does have a record of working with people in the other party and of opposing his own party on various issues.

wow, what original thought. eloquent, too.

I think these things will appeal to many Americans, but given that in modern times, the country rarely stays with one party for more than two terms, Obama already has a leg up, not because of anything he has actually proposed, but just because he is not apart of the party in the White House at the moment.

i take this to mean that you, like me, think that Palin is a flash in the pan and that when things settle down and she's revealed to be the fraud that she is, and when you really look at the electoral math, you realize that this is Obama's election to lose.

which he could. i know you people are betting the farm on racism. as you always do. :up:

So yes, things could very well fizzle and Obama could walk across the finish line with New Mexico, Colorado and Iowa in his pocket, just enough to become President.

and race could be too much of a barrier and we could all be dumbed down by 24/7 cable news to the extend where garbage McCain outrages actually stick.

but i think you know as well as i do that on the issues Obama is far better for the country than McCain.

and if you had any sort of integrity, you'd denounce the current McCain campaign.

hey, kiddo, we all speculate. if you're so desperate to feel good about yourself that you're going to bring up speculation that, even at the time itself was labeled by me as speculation, go right ahead. it simply make syou look more pathetic.

The above paragraph looks real good.

McCain is a 3rd Bush term, and, yes, Bush is the worst president at least in my lifetime. why do you think he literally phoned in his address to the RNC? why do you think McCain didn't mention him in his acceptance speech? why do you think McCain won't mention him when he's stumping? why do you think McCain has tried to steal not just Iraq policy from Obama but the overall platform of "change" from him as well?

Just politics of the moment. No different then Harry Truman deciding not to run for re-election in 1952 in order to help is party.

Bush is poison. his policies are the worst we've ever had in my lifetime.

i know you know this.

If that were the case, Bush never would have been re-elected in 2004. Nor would this country have removed two of the worst and most threatening regimes on the planet in Iraq and Afghanistan. Nor would the Bush administration have the 3rd lowest average poverty rate of any Presidential administration in history.

oh, goodnes, STING, are you still going on about this? everyone knows that Iraq is over and the troops are coming home and that it was a mistake to begin with and the Bushies lied about everything to get us in there and it's been a colossal waste of money.

stop pretending like any serious person thinks any different.

Please, tell us all how Kuwait would be safer today if Saddam was still in power? Explain how the Persian Gulf would be safer if Saddam was still in power?

The United States continues to have 15 combat brigades on the ground in Iraq and while there have been amazing accomplishments over the past several years, there is still much that needs to be done and it would be risky to withdraw troops pre-maturely. McCain will only withdraw troops from Iraq as conditions on the ground there warrent their withdrawal. Obama continues to flip flop between getting out completely on a set timetable and advocating the Bush/McCain policy of only withdrawing when conditions warrent it.

When Obama met privately with General Patreus(for the first time I might add), Obama admitted the General did not agree with his ideas for Iraq over the next 12 months.

The majority of the military and national security experts continue to support the removal of Saddam and not withdrawing from Iraq until the Iraqi's can handle the situation on their own. Colin Powell, Norman Swartzkopf, Kenneth Pollack, Michael O'Halon, Meghan O'Sullivan all enormously knowledgeable people on the issue of Iraq continue to support Saddam's removal and the proper rebuilding of Iraq.

Instead of repeating outdated liberal talking points on Iraq, try reading a little history about Saddam and Iraq prior to 2003.

i know you people are betting the farm on racism. as you always do

and race could be too much of a barrier and we could all be dumbed down by 24/7 cable news to the extend where garbage McCain outrages actually stick.

Well, at least we know what your excuses will be on November 5 if the Obama Tsunami does not wash McCain and all the Republicans away.

but i think you know as well as i do that on the issues Obama is far better for the country than McCain.

Sorry, I don't want someone in the White House who thinks Kuwait, the Persian Gulf, the United States and the world would be better off with Saddam still in power in Iraq. That thought that a sound counter insurgency strategy in Iraq would make violence worse. That believes the US defense budget can be his piggy bank for increased domestic spending. That wants to restrict free trade instead of expanding it. That would prefer to appease Russia when it comes to supporting the new countries of the former Soviet Union.

and if you had any sort of integrity, you'd denounce the current McCain campaign.

Oh my, now were questioning the integrity of other forum members because they disagree with their political views. Interesting.

Oh my, now were questioning the integrity of other forum members because they disagree with their political views. Interesting.

Wrong. It's questioning the integrity of forum members who apparently have absolutely no problem with a candidate openly lying to the American people about his opponent.

I watched and interview with Matt Damon, and yes i know, liberal actor what does he know etc (expect that i think he is so articulate and interesting, and RIGHT...*) but he did bring up an point, in saying that Palin has no experience, and yet if anything happens to Mccain she could be the next president, who has no no no idea how to run a country and yet, people are talking about how great she is, and mccain/palin could take it!

also, even our news story talked about the pig in lipstick remark. F*ck me, the republicans have to stretch to make anything look bad they're transparent. Oh Mccain can say it over and over again, and Obama says it once, probably in jest of MCcain, but maybe not, and they act like he's a woman hater. They seem to read so far in between the lines, its a mile wide. Really is pissed me off that people can use something as trivial and stupid like this and it would actually SWAY people away from Obama. Its just a crock of shit.

*and SEXY! :heart:

Wrong. It's questioning the integrity of forum members who apparently have absolutely no problem with a candidate openly lying to the American people about his opponent.

yes, exactly. taking the time to an entire response that -- surprise, surprise -- twists every statement i make seems like a waste of time on a morning like this. he sets up false choices -- either an Obama tsunami or a McCain victory, or else GOTCHA! you're WRONG! -- and then when neither happens, we get the internet triumphalism dance.

and Truman was unpopular not because of the Korean War but *despite* it. but, yes, let's keep up the endless Truman comparisons because it's easier than actually thinking.

and then there's the always ironic:
Instead of repeating outdated liberal talking points on Iraq, try reading a little history about Saddam and Iraq prior to 2003.

which is just ... man. if *anyone* in here has talking points, and if *anyone* doesn't know a thing about Iraq beyond the prism of Saddam-is-a-bad-man ...

F*ck me, the republicans have to stretch to make anything look bad they're transparent. Oh Mccain can say it over and over again, and Obama says it once, probably in jest of MCcain, but maybe not, and they act like he's a woman hater.

Again, the media likes a circus. In the case of the Republican Party, which is already perceived as the party of patriarchal, intolerant, small-minded bigots, any overture outside of that rigid mold is going to be perceived positively by the media, because, again, the bar for the GOP is set so low as to be insignificant. In the case of the Democratic Party, which is perceived as the party of inclusiveness, tolerance, and diversity, the media is more than happy to pick up on any perceived crack in this facade, because people supposedly like to expose hypocrisy.

So let's pat the GOP on the back for showing people that they don't really hate women just on the basis of one VP pick, but let's rip apart those nasty Democrats for not doing far, far more than they have already done!

dead-on WaPo op-ed:

What's the Pig Deal?

With a phony flap and a misleading attack ad, the McCain campaign sinks into silliness.

Thursday, September 11, 2008; A16

IT'S HARD to think of a presidential campaign with a wider chasm between the seriousness of the issues confronting the country and the triviality, so far anyway, of the political discourse. On a day when the Congressional Budget Office warned of looming deficits and a grim economic outlook, when the stock market faltered even in the wake of the government's rescue of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, when President Bush discussed the road ahead in Iraq and Afghanistan, on what did the campaign of Sen. John McCain spend its energy? A conference call to denounce Sen. Barack Obama for using the phrase "lipstick on a pig" and a new television ad accusing the Democrat of wanting to teach kindergartners about sex before they learn to read.

Mr. Obama's supposedly offending remark was not only not offensive -- it also was not directed at Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. "The other side, suddenly, they're saying 'we're for change too,' " Mr. Obama said. "You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig." With a woman on the ticket, apparently all references to cosmetics -- or pork of the non-bridge variety, for that matter -- are forbidden. "Sen. Obama owes Gov. Palin an apology," sniffed former Massachusetts governor Jane Swift. "Calling a very prominent female governor of one of our states a pig is not exactly what we want to see." No matter that Mr. McCain used the lipstick-on-a-pig phrase himself, referring to (female) Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's health-care plan, or that (female) former McCain aide Torie Clarke wrote a book with that title. In the heat of a campaign, operatives will pounce on any misstep and play to the referees over any arguable foul. We understand that, and certainly the Obama campaign has not been above such tactics. But this cynical use of the gender card is unusually silly.

The kindergarten sex ad, exhuming an argument that Republican Alan Keyes used against Mr. Obama in his 2004 Senate race, was equally ridiculous. "Obama's one accomplishment?" the narrator asks. "Legislation to teach 'comprehensive sex education' -- to kindergartners. Learning about sex before learning to read? Barack Obama: wrong on education. Wrong for your family." As a state senator, Mr. Obama voted for -- though he did not sponsor -- a measure that set out standards for non-mandatory sex and health education. It required that instruction be "age and developmentally appropriate" and allowed parents to have their children opt out. To call this an accomplishment seems a departure for a campaign that was insisting just last week that Mr. Obama had no legislation to his credit, conveniently ignoring his significant work on a lobbying reform bill. Mr. Obama's support for the Illinois measure seems both reasonable and relatively unimportant.

John McCain is a serious man who promised to wage a serious campaign. Win or lose, will he be able to look back on this one with pride? Right now, it's hard to see how.

it's interesting to still see McCain's "base" -- aka, the media -- still cutting him slack and thinking that this campaign isn't his fault, it's those meanie Rove advisers who have taken control from the Good Soldier, and shucks, that's just what it takes to win in politics these days. what can you do.

when is the always pro-McCain media going to start to wrap it's head around the idea that maybe, just maybe, the whole idea of "honorable" and "maverick" McCain is just a charade, and the Palin pick pulled back the curtains.

Well if we are to believe that McCain is an honourable man who has fallen victim to Rove and has no say in his own campaign then pray tell how are we supposed to believe that once he gets into office he'll suddenly be this paragon of moderate thought, appointing moderate judges and working with a Dem-controlled Congress.

Talk about cognitive dissonance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom