US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting comments from Biden today

Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Democratic nominee for vice president, departed Sunday from party doctrine on abortion rights, declaring that as a Catholic, he believes life begins at conception.

While Mr. Biden’s views may not be new to Democrats in his circle, his comments, in an interview on “Meet the Press” on NBC, came at a time when his party is confronted with a new face: Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, whose anti-abortion stance and decision to give birth just five months ago to a baby with Down syndrome have revved up the conservative base of her party.

In the interview Sunday, Mr. Biden tried to walk the line between the staunch abortion-rights advocates in his party and his own religious beliefs. While he said he did not often talk about his faith, he said of those who disagree with him: “They believe in their faith and they believe in human life, and they have differing views as to when life — I’m prepared as a matter of faith to accept that life begins at the moment of conception.”

Convenient that you didn't post the part immediately after that where he said, "but I am NOT prepared to force my belief, a religiously-based relief, on to everyone." (something like that).

Interesting comments from Biden today

Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Democratic nominee for vice president, departed Sunday from party doctrine on abortion rights, declaring that as a Catholic, he believes life begins at conception.

While Mr. Biden’s views may not be new to Democrats in his circle, his comments, in an interview on “Meet the Press” on NBC, came at a time when his party is confronted with a new face: Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, whose anti-abortion stance and decision to give birth just five months ago to a baby with Down syndrome have revved up the conservative base of her party.

In the interview Sunday, Mr. Biden tried to walk the line between the staunch abortion-rights advocates in his party and his own religious beliefs. While he said he did not often talk about his faith, he said of those who disagree with him: “They believe in their faith and they believe in human life, and they have differing views as to when life — I’m prepared as a matter of faith to accept that life begins at the moment of conception.”

is this like a flip flop?

so is he now pro life?

what's his voting record?

<>

Well, can you think of another person McCain could have picked besides Palin that would do no harm to the base while at the same time pick up a significant number of women?

so, at the very least, you are admitting to the fact that she is a purely political pick and her pick had absolutely nothing to do with her ability to run the country in the event McCain becomes incapable of performing his duties?

in essence, she is a gimmick.

is this like a flip flop?

so is he now pro life?

what's his voting record?

<>

He is not pro-life.

Read my above post.

TheEdge U2JT didn't post the whole quote. He went on to say that he is NOT prepared to force his religiously-based belief on anyone else AKA he is in favor of abortion being legal.

Convenient that you didn't post the part immediately after that where he said, "but I am NOT prepared to force my belief, a religiously-based relief, on to everyone." (something like that).

I only posted what I saw online. If there was more, I did not see it. I was not trying to be deceptive. I was impressed that he was able to be honest about his view on this and not avoid the question.

Here's one gal votin' for Joe!

Make that two :sexywink:

Remember I supported him during the primary. He was my #1 choice, put I wouldn't but Obama as far back as #2, because I knew realistically Biden had no chance. I always knew I wanted a ticket with Obama and Biden, I just didn't know who was going to be on top.

I'm just wondering, does anyone here actually volunteer for either of the campaigns on a consistent basis?

Just curious. I want to know how active FYMers are beyond this message board...which is why I've barely been posting during the election and won't be posting much through Nov. 4 (I'm an intern).
I think *maybe* Jeannieco?--although she doesn't post in FYM often. I'm pretty sure there's no one else, because I've never seen anyone besides you talk about it.

Congratulations on the internship! Hope you're enjoying it and learning a lot.

I think *maybe* Jeannieco?--although she doesn't post in FYM often. I'm pretty sure there's no one else, because I've never seen anyone besides you talk about it.

Congratulations on the internship! Hope you're enjoying it and learning a lot.

It's been great. I've been interning since the first week of June, it's been quite a wild ride here in Virginia...looking forward to the final stretch. It's becoming kind of a distraction from my school work :uhoh:

The fact that Palin's a heartbeat away from being president if McCain wins gives me a LOT of pause. And then a small shiver.

And speaking of which, I have a totally random question. What happens if one of the candidates drops dead before the election?

Does the election proceed as usual, with only the remaining candidates and a write-in space on the ballot? If enough voters wrote in the name of the deceased candidate to give him the win, what would happen then?

Oh, the things you wonder about when you're lying awake at one a.m.

departed Sunday from party doctrine on abortion rights, declaring that as a Catholic, he believes life begins at conception.

Party doctrine? I don't think you quite understand, do you not believe that there are those that personally don't condone but support people's rights?

It's been great. I've been interning since the first week of June, it's been quite a wild ride here in Virginia...looking forward to the final stretch. It's becoming kind of a distraction from my school work :uhoh:
Yes, I've had students who were campaign interns before, and that's always been their experience too. I have worked at the polls, but never for a campaign. A friend of mine from grad school now teaching out east attended the Democratic convention as a delegate--he came by that position mostly because he has some reputation as a blogger on local/state politics, but I assumed as a delegate he must also be working for the campaign, and was surprised when he said he wasn't. He's like me, a professor with three young kids, so I'm impressed merely that he finds time to run a nonacademic political blog, but I was still surprised that he wasn't actually involved with the campaign.

Well, good luck! :up:

And speaking of which, I have a totally random question. What happens if one of the candidates drops dead before the election?

I was thinking about that as well yesterday. Anyone have an answer? Would the VP pick become the nominee? Would the election be postponed? Would there be another set of primaries to choose a nominee?

It's possible for people to be personally anti-abortion, but to respect and uphold the rights of others to choose for themselves. It doesn't have to be an either - or prospect.

I respect his honesty and his opinion. Personally I would find it very difficult to not vote based on what I personally believe but I respect him for being able to do it..

Sadly, I think this issues gets twisted, The right sees pro-choice woman as baby killers and the left see pro-lifers as intrusive. I know a lot of Pro-choice women, my wife included, who hate the idea of abortion but want to protect personal rights. They wish is that there was better education to prevent unwanted pregnancies by not having them in the 1st place. Same on the other side. Not all Pro-lifers are abortion clinic bombers and religious zealots.

My experience with it was working in an Emergency Room as an EMT and coming across women that had allowed this to become their form of birth control. I had patients who came in complaining of abdominal pain. We run the test, verify pregnancy and the 1st things asked was, :"Do you do abortions?" We found some that were on their 3rd and 4th abortion. This is where I, as a pro-life person, feel that we really need better education. You can preach abstinence, but that doesn't even seem to be working with priests these days. This is the world we have and we have to work within our limitations.

My Christian brothers and sister, yes I am a Conservative Christian if you haven't guessed, may disagree with me but, if we our great desire is to eliminate abortions why can't we compromise on education? Let be realistic about what our kids are doing when we are not around and do what is necessary to prevent these pregnancies. Maybe we can teach the "choice" woman have starts with the choice of birth control. Lets educate them how to make a good choice.

My Christian brothers and sister, yes I am a Conservative Christian if you haven't guessed, many disagree with me but, if we our great desire is to eliminate abortions why cannot we compromise on education. Let be realistic about what our kids are doing when we are not around and do what is necessary to prevent these pregnancies. Maybe we can teach the "choice" woman have starts with the choice of birth control. Lets educate them how to make a good choice.

I agree with you.

This is why Sarah Palin, who preaches abstinence, is so scary to me. It didn't even work with her own kid.

Comprehensive sex education and access to effective birth control are imperative. But it is the RIGHT and not the left that sticks its head in the sand and pretends like these things don't exist. The teachings of the churches in this regard are nothing short of negligent.

My experience with it was working in an Emergency Room as an EMT and coming across women that had allowed this to become their form of birth control. I had patients who came in complaining of abdominal pain. We run the test, verify pregnancy and the 1st things asked was, :"Do you do abortions?" We found some that were on their 3rd and 4th abortion. This is where I, as a pro-life person, feel that we really need better education. You can preach abstinence, but that doesn't even seem to be working with priests these days. This is the world we have and we have to work within our limitations.

My Christian brothers and sister, yes I am a Conservative Christian if you haven't guessed, may disagree with me but, if we our great desire is to eliminate abortions why can't we compromise on education? Let be realistic about what our kids are doing when we are not around and do what is necessary to prevent these pregnancies. Maybe we can teach the "choice" woman have starts with the choice of birth control. Lets educate them how to make a good choice.

I don't think you would find an abortion rights advocate that disagreed with any of that. I know I certainly don't.

I agree with you.

This is why Sarah Palin, who preaches abstinence, is so scary to me. It didn't even work with her own kid.

Comprehensive sex education and access to effective birth control are imperative. But it is the RIGHT and not the left that sticks its head in the sand and pretends like these things don't exist. The teachings of the churches in this regard are nothing short of negligent.

Exactly...

I was thinking about that as well yesterday. Anyone have an answer? Would the VP pick become the nominee? Would the election be postponed? Would there be another set of primaries to choose a nominee?

Oh good, I'm not the only one. I was a little worried that the only response to my question was something along the lines of "what is wrong with you, you morbid freak?"

;)

I agree with you.

Why is it scary? That seems like a strong word. I can see where you would not agree, but I think it is kind of low on the totem pole of issues in this election. Realistically, what can she do regarding curriculum for sex education? It is a state issue. I'm more interested in the key issues that a Presidential team has a large effect. Economy, Energy, National Security, where will all the money I put in to Social Security over my lifetime be when I it 65?

I don't think you would find an abortion rights advocate that disagreed with any of that. I know I certainly don't.

I guess the question is what action is being taken on either side. Other than trying to overturn Row v. Wade or fight to keep it, what is happening in the real world, not legislative offices of Washington and the chambers of the Supreme Court.

Realistically, what can she do regarding curriculum for sex education? It is a state issue.

Well there are many education bills that come to the desk of the president, but I'm sure you are aware of that...

Also, if we have a VP potential President that holds these beliefs it brings a certain legitimacy to this type of backwards thinking...

I guess the question is what action is being taken on either side. Other than trying to overturn Row v. Wade or fight to keep it, what is happening in the real world, not legislative offices of Washington and the chambers of the Supreme Court.

the action that pro-choice people take is to fight for abortion to remain legal while supporting comprehensive sex education, fully funded birth control, and the overall advancement and education of women because the more educated women are the more in control of when and how they get pregnant they tend to be. action is also taken by parents who tell their daughters that they are worth more than the status of their virginity, that sex isn't shameful but entirely natural and something that must be approached with caution, knowledge and protection.

so it's a multi-pronged thing.

at the bottom line, every pro-choice person wants each pregnancy to be a wanted pregnancy. many pro-choice people view each and every abortion as a failure, or even a tragedy. but they believe that a woman must be able to control when she does and does not get pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom