US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Texas, Florida and Michigan three of the largest states went for Hillary and they were not properly allocated in the delegate totals to represent the will of the people that took time to vote.

Just to note, we won't know how Michigan would have voted, because Hillary was the only Democratic candidate on the ballot, as the other candidates abode by the the party's rules that disqualified Michigan for moving up its primary date. That, in itself, made it unfair to attribute Michigan as a "Hillary victory."

Of course, we all know why Michigan et al. moved up their dates, because they were tired of elections being decided by such "diverse" and "populous" states as New Hampshire and Iowa. Yet another reason why we need to scrap these partisan primaries and caucuses in favor of a national runoff election.

Just to note, we won't know how Michigan would have voted, because Hillary was the only Democratic candidate on the ballot, as the other candidates abode by the the party's rules that disqualified Michigan for moving up its primary date. That, in itself, made it unfair to attribute Michigan as a "Hillary victory."

Of course, we all know why Michigan et al. moved up their dates, because they were tired of elections being decided by such "diverse" and "populous" states as New Hampshire and Iowa. Yet another reason why we need to scrap these partisan primaries and caucuses in favor of a national runoff election.

There were 8 Democrats initially on the Michigan Ballot.

On election day there were four.

The handwriting was on the wall, Barack Obama, Bill Richardson, Joe Biden, and John Edwards did not want Hillary to take the symbolic win in Michigan so they colluded to pull their names off the ballot.

Why did they not pull their names off in Florida?

Hillary Clinton, Dennis Kucinich, Mike Gravel and Christopher Dodd remained on the ballot.

There was no requirement by the DNC to come off the ballot. Only not to buy ads and campaign. Also there was a huge push to get people to go to the polls and vote "Uncommitted" or what ever that status was.
I recall Obama and Edwards pushing this real hard.

They were sure Uncommitted would beat the Hillary voters, and Hillary would look like a loser.

I see what you did there.

I detest the current primary system as well.

When a topic pops up in FYM that finds me more knowledgeable than the likes of Melon or Yolland, I have to at least show up. It's like a Haley's Comet sighting or something.

And because I believe in staying on topic, I too am not a huge fan of the primary system, for reasons already eloquently stated.

yes, Hillary won the election in Texas, she got the most votes from the voters that went to the polls on primary election day.

but because of a weird caucus thing, where people that voted had a chance to come back at night and caucus - for few hours, Obama got awarded more delegates. .

Texas isn't a good example, though. It was one of the states where Republicans could vote in the Democratic primary, and it was the one where Rush Limbaugh encouraged them to do so just to fuck it up. I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember that most of the Republicans that voted in the Dem primary did, indeed, go for Hillary.

Defense is of the most importance in baseball. With pitching being the first line of defense, of course.

:up:

All that matters to me:

The Rasmussen Reports Balance of Power Calculator currently shows Obama leading in states with 193 Electoral College votes while McCain leads in states with 183 votes (see Quick Campaign Overview). When leaners are included, it’s Obama 264, McCain 247 (see 50-State Summary).

Data from Rasmussen Markets currently gives Obama a 57.4 % chance of winning in November. Other key stats of Election 2008 can still be seen at Obama-McCain: By the Numbers.

Looking to see that 57.4% steadily increase over the next two months....:D

I must say, I am starting to feel SLIGHTLY more optimistic than I was about the Democrats.

Biden could eviscerate Palin in the debates.

Then again, he might not. The public seem to think of him as boring, which could be damaging.

truth be told, polls the past few weeks are totally meaningless. Obama got probably a bit more of a bump than expected, given that McCain did everything he could to make the bump as small as possible (VP announcement, timing of the RNC). the Palin pick was another act of desperation as well. she's by far the least qualified of his potential picks, but she's the most buzzworthy and gave him a much needed jolt of electricity.

let's see where things are in a week or two, and ultimately, it is the state by state polling that matters.

though all of the above is kind of boring when all you want to do is zing! another poster.

Then again, he might not. The public seem to think of him as boring, which could be damaging.

Public opinion will likely be swayed by media commentary. The media was so impressed that Bush could add "2+2" correctly in the 2004 debates that they gave him a free pass on everything else. Kerry, on the other hand, was not so lucky.

I would not be surprised if it happens again, since the bar for logic and reason is set so low for the GOP.

Texas isn't a good example, though. It was one of the states where Republicans could vote in the Democratic primary, and it was the one where Rush Limbaugh encouraged them to do so just to fuck it up. I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember that most of the Republicans that voted in the Dem primary did, indeed, go for Hillary.

I know early on there was so much hatred at Hiallry that many GOP voted Obama just to hurt Hillary's prospects.

And also, many of those small red conservative states that will never go Democrat in November are the ones that gave Obama the nomination.
So Obama really is the GOP choice for the Democratic Nomination.

The weaker candidate.

I know early on there was so much hatred at Hiallry that many GOP voted Obama just to hurt Hillary's prospects.

And also, many of those small red conservative states that will never go Democrat in November are the ones that gave Obama the nomination.
So Obama really is the GOP choice for the Democratic Nomination.

The weaker candidate.

From speaking to friends of mine that have lived in the US, they thought Obama was a better choice than Hillary because Hillary was so disliked by such a large % of Americans that she didn't have a chance. Obama does not have the history that Hillary has. That could be an advantage.

That doesn't necessarily mean Obama will win, of course.

Washington Times - Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics

Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics
Christina Bellantoni (Contact)
Sunday, September 7, 2008

ST. LOUIS, Mo. - Sen. Barack Obama's foes seized Sunday upon a brief slip of the tongue, when the Democratic presidential nominee was outlining his Christianity but accidentally said, "my Muslim faith."

The three words -- immediately corrected -- were during an exchange with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "This Week," when he was trying to criticize the quiet smear campaign suggesting he is a Muslim.

But illustrating the difficulty of preventing false rumors about his faith from spreading, anti-Obama groups within one hour of the interview had sliced it out of context and were sending it around via email. They also were blogging about it.

Mr. Obama, who is a Christian and often proudly speaks about how his faith has influenced his public service, said he finds it "deeply offensive" that there are efforts "coming out of the Republican camp to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith."

The exchange came after Mr. Obama said that Republicans are attempting to scare voters by suggesting he is not Christian, which McCain campaign manager Rick Davis said was "cynical."

Asked about it on ABC, Mr. Obama said, "These guys love to throw a rock and hide their hand."

"The McCain campaign has never suggested you have Muslim connections," said Mr. Stephanopoulos, who repeatedly interrupted Mr. Obama during the interview.

"I don't think that when you look at what is being promulgated on Fox News, let's say, and Republican commentators who are closely allied to these folks," Mr Obama responded, and Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted: "But John McCain said that's wrong."

Mr. Obama noted that when Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin "was forced" to talk about her pregnant 17-year-old daughter, he issued a forceful statement to reporters that the line of inquiry was "off limits." But he said the McCain campaign tried to tie him to "liberal blogs that support Obama" and are "attacking Governor Palin."

"Let's not play games," he said. "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come."

Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted with, "Christian faith."

"My Christian faith," Mr. Obama said quickly. "Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested that I'm a Muslim. And I think that his campaign's upper echelons have not, either. What I think is fair to say is that, coming out of the Republican camp, there have been efforts to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith -- something which I find deeply offensive, and that has been going on for a pretty long time."

Asked to comment on the accidental misstatement illustrating the difficulty of the issue, Obama spokesman Bill Burton offered this comment: "I'm not surprised that the only outlet doing this story is The Washington Times."

----

whoops :lol:

It's not funny when people are so filled with hate and ignorance that they knowingly take something out of context and use it to try to fool people who are even more ignorant into believing it.

It might be a good idea to calm down, and then get to know the posters in here before jumping down their throats. Maybe reading a few more threads before posting would be a good idea.

How am I jumping down someone throat?? And how do you know what I read on here? Seems a bit judgmental on your part?? I guess I am allowed to have an opinion as long as it falls in line with the majority on here??

I must say, I am starting to feel SLIGHTLY more optimistic than I was about the Democrats.

Biden could eviscerate Palin in the debates.

He is a good debater so she will have her hands full. He tends to be long winded but he is a smart politician that will, no doubt, come off confident. VP debates usually don't matter much but this one will be huge.

Washington Times - Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics

Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics
Christina Bellantoni (Contact)
Sunday, September 7, 2008

ST. LOUIS, Mo. - Sen. Barack Obama's foes seized Sunday upon a brief slip of the tongue, when the Democratic presidential nominee was outlining his Christianity but accidentally said, "my Muslim faith."

The three words -- immediately corrected -- were during an exchange with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "This Week," when he was trying to criticize the quiet smear campaign suggesting he is a Muslim.

But illustrating the difficulty of preventing false rumors about his faith from spreading, anti-Obama groups within one hour of the interview had sliced it out of context and were sending it around via email. They also were blogging about it.

Mr. Obama, who is a Christian and often proudly speaks about how his faith has influenced his public service, said he finds it "deeply offensive" that there are efforts "coming out of the Republican camp to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith."

The exchange came after Mr. Obama said that Republicans are attempting to scare voters by suggesting he is not Christian, which McCain campaign manager Rick Davis said was "cynical."

Asked about it on ABC, Mr. Obama said, "These guys love to throw a rock and hide their hand."

"The McCain campaign has never suggested you have Muslim connections," said Mr. Stephanopoulos, who repeatedly interrupted Mr. Obama during the interview.

"I don't think that when you look at what is being promulgated on Fox News, let's say, and Republican commentators who are closely allied to these folks," Mr Obama responded, and Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted: "But John McCain said that's wrong."

Mr. Obama noted that when Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin "was forced" to talk about her pregnant 17-year-old daughter, he issued a forceful statement to reporters that the line of inquiry was "off limits." But he said the McCain campaign tried to tie him to "liberal blogs that support Obama" and are "attacking Governor Palin."

"Let's not play games," he said. "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come."

Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted with, "Christian faith."

"My Christian faith," Mr. Obama said quickly. "Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested that I'm a Muslim. And I think that his campaign's upper echelons have not, either. What I think is fair to say is that, coming out of the Republican camp, there have been efforts to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith -- something which I find deeply offensive, and that has been going on for a pretty long time."

Asked to comment on the accidental misstatement illustrating the difficulty of the issue, Obama spokesman Bill Burton offered this comment: "I'm not surprised that the only outlet doing this story is The Washington Times."

----

whoops :lol:

I hope the Right doesn't try to use crap like this to try to pass off something that is not true. Its insulting when we all know what he meant and it cheapens the process.

How am I jumping down someone throat?? And how do you know what I read on here? Seems a bit judgmental on your part?? I guess I am allowed to have an opinion as long as it falls in line with the majority on here??

You tried to jump down my throat for being inconsistent about poll numbers when you didn't even get that my "numbers" post was completely sarcastic, and then even refused to believe it when anitram pointed that out to you. So yeah, you could stand to get to know the posters here.

You could also stand to lose the whole "blinded by liberalism" and "hatred of conservatism" angle until you've shown any evidence that you aren't being completely hypocritical in those claims as well.

I hope the Right doesn't try to use crap like this to try to pass off something that is not true. Its insulting when we all know what he meant and it cheapens the process.

Could you clarify? I'm confused as to what you mean by "crap like this" in reference to the article.

Edit: nevermind - you were referencing the picking up on the 3 words and spreading it. Gotcha.

I know. Nobody should think he's a Muslim. It's just a funny and unfortunate mistake on his part, is all.

:sigh: Multiple punctuation marks aren't helping, nor is your defensive attitude. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, due to actually knowing you, but proving my point in your response to my friendly admonishment leaves you on your own in here. Good luck.

As I and many others have said on this board on numerous occasions, polls are meaningless at this point. Sure, Obama is down a few points right now. Doesn't mean a thing. Something could happen next week to change that. For or against his favor.

And sometimes 2 polls taken at the same time come to different conclusions. My conclusion? They're not all that accurate and shouldn't be given much weight.

So on what day do you think the polls will start to mean something?

I do find the fact that Obama was up by 8 points last Monday and now is down by 3 points today, an 11 point change in just 6 days, is significant.

I take it only polls that show Obama ahead are accurate?:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom