US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
John McCain has the strength to keep America safe and the courage to secure the peace.
Oh and Obama supports infanticide. If you don`t think something is wrong with that,"Just Wow."The Next Smear Against Obama: "Infanticide"

This is the one that I've been worried about for awhile now - so much so that I wasn't even going to mention it on FYM - hoping against hope that it just might be overlooked (ya right, who was I kidding? Myself obviously.) I first read this about a month ago and after reading numerous articles on it decided to dig deeper. The thing is, after reading several articles on it I still didn't quite know what it was about. It sounded horrible. If it was true I really had my doubts about Obama. Why would he vote this way on something so obviously wrong? This is one that you can expect the Republican's to air ads sometime in October - probably middle to late October - so the public has no time to research it properly. They'll gasp and think he's a monster. Once again I hear the sound of Karl Rove cackling. Shit.

I almost felt sorry for that Republican shill in that clip.

John McCain is a liar. Hey if repetition works for them...

Olbermann's special comment tonight, tearing not only McCain, but the whole GOP really, for the way they've turned 9/11 into 9/11 with a trademark, a political tool. I think it is phenomenal, but I'm sure a good deal of you will think it's over the top.

YouTube - Special Comment 9/10/08

I almost felt sorry for that Republican shill in that clip.

John McCain is a liar. Hey if repetition works for them...

Yeah, me too. Sure, I'm biased, but I typically find that most of the Republican spokespeople on these shows come off as slimy, plain and simple. This guy, on the other hand, actually seemed like he might be a nice guy in real life. But he should've expected it--he was booked to defend a bullshit accusation, one that the McCain people thought was so important that they pushed it all morning.

Honestly, I think that the media have every right to start cutting through the crap. Get rid of this bullshit about dodging questions and spinning answers. Who the hell cares if some dumbass Congressperson doesn't come back to your show if they never give you an answer in the first place? Frankly, I'm happy that Campbell Brown has started to take this approach, as well as the obvious characters of Matthews and Olbermann. The rest need to get on board. Enough with the bullshit.

That ad in the clip has been pulled by CBS who was apparently outraged that McCain used a Katie Couric clip to imply she'd said that line about Obama when in fact it had nothing to do about Obama. So the ad is gone under a cease and desist order.

Heckuva job, John.

John McCain is a liar. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm wondering, what do Democrats think regarding ways of preventing these lies from becoming ingrained into the American consciousness? Is there any way to stop this happening for a third time?

I think that Obama needs to fight back. I think that what he and his campaign don't realize is that the CAN fight back without sinking to the same slimy level. Here's how:

Imagine this commercial. Barack Obama himself in a close-up, talking to the camera. "John McCain has shown you a commercial telling you that I supported teaching kindergartners a "comprehensive sex education." In reality, the legislation I supported would have taught kindergartners to recognize when a stranger is touching them inappropriately. It would have protected them from sexual predators. John McCain apparently thinks this was wrong. John McCain is out of touch. I am Barack Obama, and I approve this message."

Go head on. Show that John McCain is a spinning liar. Show that John McCain isn't the honorable guy he says he is. Yet doing it this way does it in a way that's not starkly negative about McCain. Show that you have some fight and that you're right.

Isn't it kind of relevant that a person running a campaign strongly based on his character is suddenly doing things that lack integrity?

Well, if integrity and Sarah Palin are the things team Obama want to talk about, I'm sure the McCain campaign won't mind. You can't prove someone lacks integrity because of a flap over pigs, lies and lipstick, especially someone like John McCain. Acting like your running against Sarah Palin rather than John McCain also is unlikely to be a winning strategy.

Those last few McCain ads really are quite stunning. I never disliked the guy, just thought it was a real shame he’d let himself be castrated so easily. I also thought he’d steer clear of all that after all the crap that hit him during his run against Bush. But those ads… what an absolute dickhead he is.

It’s a shame. This could have been a genuinely decent and really great contest to watch. That’s absolutely flown out the window now and I’d say it probably has the potential to become one of the most nasty and shallow.

One more for the road!

McCain campaign has a new ad out designed to portray Obama as a predator and Sarah Palin as prey by pointing to 30 opposition researchers that the Obama team allegedly sent to Alaska to savage her.

Of course, the article that the ad references doesn't say Obama sent them -- it actually says Democrats sent them.

But the Democratic National Committee's chief of research, Mike Gehrke, tells me that the DNC hasn't sent a single researcher to Alaska. "Zero," Gehrke says.

Gehrke also offered this little gem:

"If I had 30 researchers, they'd be busy trying to keep track of McCain's houses."

TPM Election Central | Talking Points Memo | DNC's Chief Researcher: We Sent "Zero" Oppo-Guys To Alaska

Here's the bit about CBS:

YouTube has removed a webad that casts Sarah Palin as the victim of sexism on the request of CBS, whose anchor Katie Couric was featured in the ad.

“One of the great lessons of that campaign is the continued and accepted role of sexism in American life," Couric is quoted in the ad.

In the original clip, which aired months before Palin entered the race, Couric was talking about Hillary Clinton. The ad applies her words to Palin.

Asked about the ad, CBS spokeswoman Leigh Farris said, "CBS News does not endorse any candidate in the Presidential race. Any use of CBS personnel in political advertising that suggests the contrary is misleading."

YouTube's page displaying the ad now tells visitors, "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by CBS Interactive Inc."

Is Biden trying to step aside?....

Political Radar: Biden: Hillary a Better Pick Than Me

"Make no mistake about this, Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight. She’s a truly close personal friend, she is qualified to be president of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she’s first rate, I mean that sincerely, she’s first rate, so let’s get that straight."

I'm sure this must have been posted before as this is an old article but I found this very interesting today as Ali Velshi was explaining it on CNN.

BREAKING DOWN THE NUMBERS
Here's how the average tax bill could change in 2009 if either John McCain's or Barack Obama's tax proposals were fully in place.
MCCAIN OBAMA
Income Avg. tax bill Avg. tax bill
Over $2.9M -$269,364 +$701,885
$603K and up -$45,361 +$115,974
$227K-$603K -$7,871 +$12
$161K-$227K -$4,380 -$2,789
$112K-$161K -$2,614 -$2,204
$66K-$112K -$1,009 -$1,290
$38K-$66K -$319 -$1,042
$19K-$38K -$113 -$892
Under $19K -$19 -$567

Most people probably fall in that boldfaced category. It's clear who will provide more tax cuts for the middle class! I know this may be nothing new but I found it interesting.

Link:
How McCain and Obama will change your tax bill - Jun. 11, 2008

ETA: This forum doesn't allow tabs! :mad: Hopefully that info is clear enough!

Last edited:
I think the context of what Biden was responding to easily explains his bending-over-backwards tone:
a man in the audience told Biden how glad he was that Obama picked him over Hillary, "not because she's a woman, but because, look at the things she did in the past."
Unclear what exactly that means, but, it sure sounds like a nasty 'character' smear.

At least he didn't laugh along with it like McCain did when asked, "How do we beat the bitch?"

Last edited:
So when something like this mentions "tax bills," what does that mean to an average person like me, who pays taxes out of my paycheck and maybe pays at the end of the year, maybe gets a refund, doesn't have any property taxes?

In my case, would "tax bills" mean that I'm just paying less or more overall in the amount of general federal taxes I pay?

And in that chart, for instance it says under McCain -$319, under Obama -$1,042 ... what does that mean? That under McCain I'd pay $319 less overall and under Obama I'd pay $1,042 less overall?

In my case, would "tax bills" mean that I'm just paying less or more overall in the amount of general federal taxes I pay?

That under McCain I'd pay $319 less overall and under Obama I'd pay $1,042 less overall?

Yes and yes.

(although your actual decrease might be different in either case because they are using "average" and I'm not sure a single person with no children and no house/mortgage would be considered average)

"Make no mistake about this, Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight. She’s a truly close personal friend, she is qualified to be president of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she’s first rate, I mean that sincerely, she’s first rate, so let’s get that straight."

I'm wondering the same thing. If Obama had picked Hillary, this race would be most likely over. But he didn't pick her, which allowed McCain to pick what is turning out to be arguably the best and most exciting person he could have picked. Poor Joe. I haven't heard his name anywhere on the news in days, except when he told the wheelchair bound man to stand up.

And Hillary's been awful quiet lately. :hmm:

And in that chart, for instance it says under McCain -$319, under Obama -$1,042 ... what does that mean? That under McCain I'd pay $319 less overall and under Obama I'd pay $1,042 less overall?

Yeah I understood it as... under Obama I'd save $1042 but under McCain I'd save only $319.

This is getting stranger by the minute.

This is getting stranger by the minute.

Get off it, it's not strange at all. Some guy in the audience told Biden he was glad Obama picked him instead of Hilary, and went on to say some stuff to the effect of she isn't qualified. Biden was correcting that guy. That is all.

Olbermann's special comment tonight, tearing not only McCain, but the whole GOP really, for the way they've turned 9/11 into 9/11 with a trademark, a political tool. I think it is phenomenal, but I'm sure a good deal of you will think it's over the top.

YouTube - Special Comment 9/10/08

So... the guy who is saying Republicans have nothing but phony, crocodile, opportunistic tears regarding 9/11 is the same guy that once made John Gibson the worst person in the world for mocking Jon Stewart's emotional monologue after 9/11, when Olbermann scolded Gibson saying "I would never question your pain and sincerity?"

Got it. :up:

I'm wondering the same thing. If Obama had picked Hillary, this race would be most likely over. But he didn't pick her, which allowed McCain to pick what is turning out to be arguably the best and most exciting person he could have picked. Poor Joe. I haven't heard his name anywhere on the news in days, except when he told the wheelchair bound man to stand up.

And Hillary's been awful quite lately. :hmm:

Well not to spread any rumors, but today on a certain radio show they were talking about Obama's private meeting with Clinton in Harlem, some were speculating a change of VP to counteract McCain's pick and of course right radio had a field day with this... but there was a caller that claimed he "knew" Biden had cancer and that this may have been a meeting to discuss this. The caller was more than likely full of shit, or maybe he had read deep's post earlier about Biden... who knows:shrug:

Well, if integrity and Sarah Palin are the things team Obama want to talk about, I'm sure the McCain campaign won't mind. You can't prove someone lacks integrity because of a flap over pigs, lies and lipstick, especially someone like John McCain. Acting like your running against Sarah Palin rather than John McCain also is unlikely to be a winning strategy.

Are you honestly going to tell me he didn't perpetuate lies in these two ads?

So... the guy who is saying Republicans have nothing but phony, crocodile, opportunistic tears regarding 9/11 is the same guy that once made John Gibson the worst person in the world for mocking Jon Stewart's emotional monologue after 9/11, when Olbermann scolded Gibson saying "I would never question your pain and sincerity?"

Got it. :up:

If my memory serves me correctly, Gibson was made the worst person in the world because of what came after the quote you referenced, which was Gibson mocking Stewart's monologue.

Watch.

YouTube - World's Worst: Keith Destroys FOX's John Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom