US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you would honestly be shocked in our political climate that this quote could become a hot button issue in this election than you're pretty naive.

No, not at all. I know stuff like this happens all the time, and it pisses me off.

My "come on / knock it off" was to deep, because I know deep doesn't honestly believe this shit, and I was finally compelled to say it after a very long time of just sitting back and rolling my eyes silently at his ... his ... his .... whatever it is that he's been doing here since election season began.

I like deep - how could I not? How could anyone not like deep? Especially after he complimented my eyes?

I just finally let loose the "KNOCK IT OFF" that I'd been holding in for a long time. :)

You know, by the way - every time I hear "Badlands" now, I think about how you said it was to you like "I'm Sailing Away" was to Cartman. And then I think of you singing "Badlands" like Cartman.

So thanks for that. ;)

I am disappointed in the sex ed ad.

It is VERY important to educate children about touching. Who can do it and who cannot. It is unfortunate to label such programs as sex education.

YouTube - Obama calls Palin a pig

Obama - no class :no:

This is something that pushes undecideds away.

Desperate?

or just stupid?

He needs to a sincere apology, yesterday.

and try and get this behind him.

Even though it was obviously meant in good humour - Obama is the about the only Democrat that's actually been polite the last week - I can't believe he wouldn't have the foresight to see what the headlines will be screaming tomorrow...something like..."Obama calls Palin a Pig with lipstick". I can hear Karl Rove cackling all the way from Canada. How quickly this is turning sour.

I dont think O has a mind of his own.
I think he was coached into saying this-but common sense would prohibit a concrete thinker from doing this, even tho the reference was oblique.

<>

Even though it was obviously meant in good humour - Obama is the about the only Democrat that's actually been polite the last week - I can't believe he wouldn't have the foresight to see what the headlines will be screaming tomorrow...something like..."Obama calls Palin a Pig with lipstick". I can hear Karl Rove cackling all the way from Canada. How quickly this is turning sour.

Harry

as strident of an Obama supporter. as one could be

but, you get it :up:

:huh: Does he even mention Palin in the clip? My hearing's not too good, but if he was discussing anyone but McCain I missed it...

This is astonishingly moronic.

Link

Last October, asked about Sen. Hillary Clinton's health care plan, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., was blunt.

McCain said Clinton's proposal was “eerily” similar to the ill-fated plan she devised in 1993.

“I think they put some lipstick on a pig,” he said, “but it’s still a pig.”

The McCain campaign thinks we're stupid.

"IN DRUDGE WE TRUST"

capt.cps.nns26.100908010122.photo00.photo.default-333x512.jpg

Obama Says McCain Is Offering Fake Change: 'You Can Put Lipstick on a Pig, But It's Still a Pig'

September 09, 2008 6:10 PM

LEBANON, Va. -- "That's not change," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said of what Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is offering.

"You know, you can put lipstick on a pig," Obama said, "but it's still a pig."

The crowd rose and applauded, some of them no doubt thinking he may have been alluding to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's ad lib during her vice presidential nomination acceptance speech last week, "What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick."

God, the McCain camp really is just....sick. I thought I was at a loss for words, but there are actually lot of words coming to mind. Disgusting. Pathetic. Twisted. Disgraceful. Shameful. Disgusting (again).

Do people really want a guy who would approve such a disgraceful, disgusting ad as President of the United States???? I mean, he said it--he put his face at the end of that commercial and said, "I'm John McCain, and I approve this message." How disgusting is that? This guy calls himself honorable, a "maverick," and an American hero, someone who'd rather stick to his principles than win an election. And then he goes and lets someone write a disgusting ad like this and then put his name on it???

You can erase all of the other issues, all of the other pros and cons. This alone is disgraceful. Sad.

God, the McCain camp really is just....sick. I thought I was at a loss for words, but there are actually lot of words coming to mind. Disgusting. Pathetic. Twisted. Disgraceful. Shameful. Disgusting (again).

Do people really want a guy who would approve such a disgraceful, disgusting ad as President of the United States???? I mean, he said it--he put his face at the end of that commercial and said, "I'm John McCain, and I approve this message." How disgusting is that? This guy calls himself honorable, a "maverick," and an American hero, someone who'd rather stick to his principles than win an election. And then he goes and lets someone write a disgusting ad like this and then put his name on it???

You can erase all of the other issues, all of the other pros and cons. This alone is disgraceful. Sad.

amen to that! :up: well said steve. this ad is just pitiful and yes, a disgrace to the human race for that matter... I am completely disgusted..:mad:

Obama - no class :no:

This is something that pushes undecideds away.

Desperate?

or just stupid?

He needs to a sincere apology, yesterday.

and try and get this behind him.

Of course, after he was just talking about how McCain suddenly talks about change when he got elected when in fact he doesn't bring any change and after he not once mentioned Palin suddenly this metaphor is an attack on Palin.
Makes sense.

"IN DRUDGE WE TRUST"

capt.cps.nns26.100908010122.photo00.photo.default-333x512.jpg

Obama Says McCain Is Offering Fake Change: 'You Can Put Lipstick on a Pig, But It's Still a Pig'

September 09, 2008 6:10 PM

LEBANON, Va. -- "That's not change," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said of what Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is offering.

"You know, you can put lipstick on a pig," Obama said, "but it's still a pig."

The crowd rose and applauded, some of them no doubt thinking he may have been alluding to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's ad lib during her vice presidential nomination acceptance speech last week, "What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick."

let's get some good goutrage going over a conservative site twisting words, starting rumors, and misleading readers!! yes!! :applaud:

amen to that! :up: well said steve. this ad is just pitiful and yes, a disgrace to the human race for that matter... I am completely disgusted..:mad:

I think this may really be McCain scraping the bottom of the barrel - it's in shockingly bad taste.

NY Gov. Patterson is now claiming the McCain campaign of using racism because "community organizer" is supposedly interchangeable with the word "black."

:rolleyes:

I know he's not a part of the Obama campaign, but they're having a really bad few days. I think the wheels are coming off the bus. I sense desperation, and they have yet to figure out how to go after Palin.

NY Gov. Patterson is now claiming the McCain campaign of using racism because "community organizer" is supposedly interchangeable with the word "black."

I know he's not a part of the Obama campaign, but they're having a really bad few days. I think the wheels are coming off the bus. I sense desperation, and they have yet to figure out how to go after Palin.

are you goutraged by the misleading drudge headline?

John McCain releases that ad, and we're talking about Obama using a joking reference to McCain's own words to convey a point? Really?

This is honestly the first time during this campaign I've lost respect for McCain. A lot of respect, at that.

Desperation? Because of Governor Patterson's statement and Drudge's headline?

Honestly, I think McCain's ad shows a huge amount of desperation.

It is a very poor ad that they should pull ASAP.

I did read some of the legislation he signed. There was a discussion in one of these threads about teaching abstinence in schools. It was referred to as backwards thinking, however it is part of the legislation that Obama signed.

All public elementary, junior high, and senior high
20 school classes that teach sex education and discuss sexual
21 activity or behavior intercourse shall emphasize that
22 abstinence is an effective method of preventing unintended is
23 the expected norm in that abstinence from sexual intercourse
24 is the only protection that is 100% effective against
25 unwanted teenage pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases,
26 and HIV acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) when
27 transmitted sexually.

The details of that legislation (the part about sex ed):

'Nobody's suggesting that kindergartners are going to be getting information about sex in the way that we think about it,' Obama said. 'If they ask a teacher 'where do babies come from,' that providing information that the fact is that it's not a stork is probably not an unhealthy thing. Although again, that's going to be determined on a case by case basis by local communities and local school boards.'"

In addition to local schools informing kindergarteners that babies do not come from the stork, the state legislation Obama supported in Illinois, which contained an "opt out" provision for parents, also envisioned teaching kindergarteners about "inappropriate touching," according to Obama's presidential campaign. Despite Obama's support, the legislation was not enacted.

What a perverse ad McCain approved.

It is a very poor ad that they should pull ASAP.

I did read some of the legislation he signed. There was a discussion in one of these threads about teaching abstinence in schools. It was referred to as backwards thinking, however it is part of the legislation that Obama signed.

All public elementary, junior high, and senior high
20 school classes that teach sex education and discuss sexual
21 activity or behavior intercourse shall emphasize that
22 abstinence is an effective method of preventing unintended is
23 the expected norm in that abstinence from sexual intercourse
24 is the only protection that is 100% effective against
25 unwanted teenage pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases,
26 and HIV acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) when
27 transmitted sexually.

Is your information correct?

is that the language from the bill that Obama got passed?

Obama has said it was a bill to inform kindergardeners about sexual abuse so they would be protected?

Why would anyone be against that? :huh:

Did it receive an unanimous vote when it passed?

There was a discussion in one of these threads about teaching abstinence in schools. It was referred to as backwards thinking, however it is part of the legislation that Obama signed.
[/I]

I never said abstinence along with comprehensive sexual education was backwards thinking, in fact I think we agreed on that. Don't put words in my mouth. The question was would this type of sex ed fall into Palin's definition of "explicit"? From everything I've read regarding Christian Conservative views of education this would in fact fall under "explicit".

The actual wording of the age-appropriate sex ed provision:

The program established under this Act shall include, but not be limited to, the following major educational areas as a basis for curricula in all elementary and secondary schools in this State: human ecology and health, human growth and development, the emotional, psychological, physiological, hygienic and social responsibilities of family life, including sexual abstinence and prevention of unintended pregnancy, prevention and control of disease, including age appropriate instruction in grades K through 12 on the prevention of sexually transmitted infections, including the prevention, transmission and spread of HIV, public and environmental health, consumer health, safety education and disaster survival, mental health and illness, personal health habits, alcohol, drug use, and abuse including the medical and legal ramifications of alcohol, drug, and tobacco use, abuse during pregnancy, sexual abstinence, tobacco, nutrition, and dental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom