US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't you answer the question? Its a simple one. It is an important one.

I believe that the behavior of the candidates supporters are hurting his cause.

Regarding all the polls, statistics are a funny thing...

Despite a raft of advantages in the electorate for Democrats, in September's first Gallup Tracking poll, an equal number of Republicans and Democrats were surveyed (including "leaners") from Sept. 3-5, compared to a 10-point Democratic identification advantage two weeks ago. That partisan makeup of the polling pool resulted in a 5-point lead for McCain in Sept. 5 tracking poll. Meanwhile, the new CBS poll features a 6-point swing in partisan composition toward Republicans, which plays some role in the poll's two-point lead for McCain. Finally, the latest USA Today poll, which claims a four-point edge for McCain, was arrived at after a 10-point swing in partisan makeup toward GOP respondents.

Shocking.

Monday's USA Today poll had a 48-47 split between Democrats and Republicans surveyed. That represents a nearly 10 point shift in party identification toward Republicans since USA Today's July polling. When asked for comment, USA Today polling editor Jim Norman wrote that "it's possible" that their latest sample includes too many Republicans.

Scholar dude:

Emory University political scientist Alan Abramowitz is highly skeptical of the new Gallup, USA Today and CBS polls. About the latter, which showed a statistically insignificant two point lead for McCain, Abramowitz said: "One reason for the dramatic difference between the two recent CBS polls is that the two samples differed fairly dramatically in terms of partisan composition. The first sample was 35.2% Democratic, 26.2 percent Republicans, and 38.6 percent independent. The second sample was 34.9% Democratic, 31.1% Republican, and 34.0% independent. That's a change from a 9 point Democratic advantage to a 3.8 point Democratic advantage. That alone would probably explain about half of the difference in candidate preferences between the two [CBS] polls."

Here.

I believe that the behavior of the candidates supporters are hurting his cause.

It's easier to just avoid it.:shrug:

I agree that the vicious crap is hurting Obama. It there anything he can do? I dont think so. Until KoS, Media Matters and the other rumormongers realize their actions are hurting their guy and they put a stop to it, the polls will keep showing a lead for McCain/Palin.

Would it surprise you to know I intend on voting for him?

I fail to see how my point of his slips being used against him is going against him. It seems to me there is more validity to an attack on him would bear more weight than an attack on the daughter of a candidate.

If the media, the Obama campaign or surrogates were making an issue of this, sure I think it wouldn't help him.

But they're not.

The main political blog that I check out on a daily basis is very left-leaning and I haven't seen it there at all either.

It seems to me there is more validity to an attack on him would bear more weight than an attack on the daughter of a candidate.

Who is attacking her?

Why can't you answer that simple question? It's an important one.

So do you think the American public will support someone whose supporters are attacking a woman with vicious lies, her daughter with vicious lies, and now twisting the main candidates daughters words are going to help their cause?

Anitram, are you saying she has not had vicious rumors spread about her? Because I think that can be stipulated.

So do you think the American public will support someone whose supporters are attacking a woman with vicious lies, her daughter with vicious lies, and now twisting the main candidates daughters words are going to help their cause?

You know what, I think 99.999% of the people who are following this election closely have not even heard of this story or seen this clip.

Like I said, I read a very leftist blog, it ain't on there. I'm sure there are others where it is on. But if you think that a handful of supporters who may talk to each other on a handful of blogs (since this is NOT widespread) are influencing the general public, well I have to tell you that they and their egos would probably love to hear that they've apparently become this powerful.

LOL.

What are these vicious rumors? I haven't heard one single rumor about McCain's daughter.

:confused:

If you're going to pay that much attention to the extreme fringe and try and claim that they're actually holding sway over a good portion of the voters, I think you're stretching just a weeeee bit.

If you think that it is not making the airwaives on a daily basis and being read out loud by talk radio hosts, I do not know what to say. There is not a liberal or right wing talk show host that I have not heard it mentioned on here in Boston.

I know from our past conversations that Anitram and Diemen do not agree with me. That is fine. You know were I stand.

Anitram asked for what the daughter should have said. I responded.

Dreadsox referred to the twisting of McCain's daughters words, as if it's some rampant thing going on right now.

There was no twisting of her words. Taken as they were spoken, the intent seemed just a little questionable. I think that's all anitram was pointing out.

Your point is that bloogs supporting Obama do not have influence. Talk radio reads bligs DAILY on the air to stir the listeners up. What is there to understand?

I think you lost me here honestly.

I was only and specifically talking about Meghan McCain and her statement. I thought that's what you were talking about as well but apparently you mean on a more general basis?

I think the mentality that no one in here should ever say anything about a candidate that s/he doesn't think that candidate's opponent (or 'The Media') should also say publically really needs to go. Since the primaries started, I've seen plenty of posters here, 'liberal' and 'conservative', say things about various candidates that I doubt any of us would consider strategically brilliant talking points for that candidate's opposition. (Should Romney have called McCain 'Hillary lite with post-traumatic stress disorder'? Should Obama have called Hillary 'Billary the two-headed monster'? Should any news anchor have called either candidate those things?) This forum isn't a campaign strategy focus group meeting, nor is it a major internet hub where thousands of ordinary Americans gather daily to follow the latest political news. It's fine to say that this or that criticism would be an ill-advised one for the actual campaigns to pursue, or that it might turn off Joe America to see this or that gaffe being laughed at on television, but it seems pointless to me to get that worked up over people in here posting it. Unless, that is, we're going to stick to debating and discussing only actual platform issues, as opposed to which candidate is more of a moron or a snob or an ignoramus or a victim than the others--but it's been clear since January that the former is not the kind of discussion we're going to have.

I do not think you are characterizing my dialogue accurately.

I think there should be a cautious approach when dealing with a candidates children. I think it gets carried away. I think if it goes down that road far enough, Obama will lose.

Other than the fact that talk radio preys on the gullible, uninformed and bigoted?

So you're saying that we should just let questionable statements fly, let questionable decisions and actions pass because we don't want some talk radio host to blow it up way out of proportion to fire up his/her listeners?

Sit down, shut up and let them say/do what they will?

I can understand your point in regards to vicious rumors, but questioning Meghan McCain's intent is certainly not one of them.

What are these vicious rumors? I haven't heard one single rumor about McCain's daughter.

She parties harder than the Bush girls combined, her and her girlfriend are going to have a baby using Olbermann as the doner, she's Muslim, and she doesn't wear a flag pin. You haven't heard this?

Other than the fact that talk radio preys on the gullible, uninformed and bigoted?.

There are left leaning shows in Boston that have brought these things up. Are they uninformed and bigoted?

Its a losing strategy to continue to attack the family of the candidate.

I want the man to win. I think he will bring the most change. I think his supporters are hurting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom