US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama's known quantities...his propensity to surround himself with what I considener "extremist" views...concerns me.

That propensity concerns me more than her inexperience.

McCain has thought deeply about issues as well. That and 10 cents will get me...well...nothing in this country...hehe Damn economy.

other than Wright,

who are these extremists that you see Obama giving serious time and attention to in regards to the formulation of policy?

so go with success

and experience on the top of the ticket.

Why don't we go with whose platform we agree with.

I don't agree with almost anything McCain says and 500 years of experience couldn't change that so I don't give a rat's ass about his Senate record. In fact, that only proves more to me that I don't want to vote for him.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

you'll be supportive of the various proxy wars with Russia and a permanent occupation of Iraq, then.

It's a fair point.

McCain never got over the fact that he lost Vietnam.

There are good and ample reasons for anti-war conservatives to be intensely suspicious of his agenda - which is why I still prefer Obama/Biden.

Why don't we go with whose platform we agree with.

I don't agree with almost anything McCain says and 500 years of experience couldn't change that so I don't give a rat's ass about his Senate record. In fact, that only proves more to me that I don't want to vote for him.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

platforms mean nothing

but if you are referring to his potential agenda

true, I am not crazy about all of it.

But, I am sure he will not abuse the office like Bush has and the Democratic Senate will keep him in check, and he will even choose a moderate course to get things accomplished

I just gave Obama / Biden 20 minutes of my time to watch them on 60 minutes.

And I swear, Obama could have been in a coma for the last four years.
He did not give one example of anything he has done.

Just all this non specific talk about nice things, saying he is for change.
He gives me nothing to vote for.

platforms mean nothing

but if you are referring to his potential agenda

true, I am not crazy about all of it.

But, I am sure he will not abuse the office like Bush has and the Democratic Senate will keep him in check, and he will even choose a moderate course to get things accomplished

I don't like even 5% of his agenda. He does nothing for students and doesn't even seem to recognize the reality of today's student situation. His record on women's issues that are important to me is beyond dismal. His behaviour re: Russia/Georgia made him look like a silly warmonger longing for the Cold War, and I don't even want to imagine the Iran situation.

That all seals the deal for me.

It is funny that you are full of HOPE about his appointments, his course of action, the Senate growing balls, and so on. All complete gambles that apparently don't bother you.

I have seen this McCain, he is not the same one as in 2000. I don't trust this one to choose a moderate course. Not one bit. So he can sell his newfound McCain to the far right, that is his prerogative.

I don't like even 5% of his agenda. He does nothing for students and doesn't even seem to recognize the reality of today's student situation. His record on women's issues that are important to me is beyond dismal. His behaviour re: Russia/Georgia made him look like a silly warmonger longing for the Cold War, and I don't even want to imagine the Iran situation.

That all seals the deal for me.

It is funny that you are full of HOPE about his appointments, his course of action, the Senate growing balls, and so on. All complete gambles that apparently don't bother you.

I have seen this McCain, he is not the same one as in 2000. I don't trust this one to choose a moderate course. Not one bit. So he can sell his newfound McCain to the far right, that is his prerogative.

yes, absolutely.

It's a fair point.

McCain never got over the fact that he lost Vietnam.

There are good and ample reasons for anti-war conservatives to be intensely suspicious of his agenda - which is why I still prefer Obama/Biden.

I think he got over the loss. He led the charge to normalize relationships with Viet Nam and has visited the Communist Vietnamese people many times.

I did watch a special last night
he did get into the War College when he got back and had some position in the Navy.

What he feels ls passionately about is not fighting wars like the Viet Nam Wart was fought. In the early 80s he stood up in the floor of the Senate and took on a very popular President Reagan for putting the U S Marines in Lebanon. He said there was no mission defined. He plan for success. And that they were sitting ducks.

30 days later a car/truck? bomb killed about 280?

Reagan pulled all the troops out.

And a few months larter invaded Grenada so he could have a wiun.

The hypocrisy stinks to high heaven.

I am not the poster in here spreading bullshit about a family and a DS kid blaming MCCain for bringing that upon himself.

It does doesn't it...although POW jokes are fair game since he put is on his resume.

Give me a break...

I watched the same posters in this forum scream about the way Kerry was treated in 04. Yet this is somehow ok.

If the fucking sources that the left in this forum find valid about Palin count, so does Wright and Avery... That is my point.

You mean Ayers?

What exactly was his association, though? They sat on a board together for an anti-poverty fund, and he contributed $200 to Obama's re-election campaign. That's it. Everything else is pure speculation.

Oh, guess who else could be claimed to have had ties to the Weathermen? The Clintons. Bill Clinton commuted the sentences of two convicted Weathermen members.

Which is worse: pardoning a convicted terrorist or accepting a campaign contribution from a former Weatherman who was never convicted?

I am not the poster in here spreading bullshit about a family and a DS kid blaming MCCain for bringing that upon himself.

that's a twisting of my position, but yes, i do think that they've taken Palin's story and presented it to the right wing base as proof of her "authenticity" as an anti-choice advocate and an evangelical.

if -- *if* -- this story blows up, it will be McCain's fault for gambling on a candidate who had not been properly vetted, AND for bowing to the base and not going with the multitude of pro-choice candidates who we know he would have preferred -- Lieberman, Ridge, Snow, Hutchinson, etc.

I watched the same posters in this forum scream about the way Kerry was treated in 04. Yet this is somehow ok.

If the fucking sources that the left in this forum find valid about Palin count, so does Wright and Avery... That is my point.

when i see stern doctors on TV saying, "Sarah Palin is lying about her Down's Syndrome baby," then we can start to equivocate between some whispers on a blog and between the deliberate, coordinated, and well-financed Swift Boating that went on 2004.

The hypocrisy stinks to high heaven.

You know I probably should listen to the voice in my head and not respond, but I will.

I have been a member of this forum since 2002. I have almost consistently called bullshit when I feel the right is out of line and the left.

I find it offensive that people in this forum so want Obama to win that they would stoop to spreading this story around without a shred of a fact. It is repulsive.

I find it offensive that the people in the forum so want Obama to win, that they would make jokes about "lying" in reference to the torture endured by McCain.

AS for my point, which apparently you get...if the Palin/Grandmother story is fair game...so is the bullshit about Avery.

You cannot be seriously comparing the Swiftboating of Kerry with calling McCain out on his constant POW references (especially when his use of it is a complete dodge of the question he was asked) or some internet chatter about Palin's child/grandchild.

I find it offensive that the people in the forum so want Obama to win, that they would make jokes about "lying" in reference to the torture endured by McCain.

I find it offensive that McCain is cheapening his POW experience and other POW's experiences by using it as a cheap political out when he doesn't want to or can't sufficiently answer a question.

I find it offensive that people in this forum so want Obama to win that they would stoop to spreading this story around without a shred of a fact. It is repulsive.

:shrug:

i actually wasn't the first person to bring it up. i reported that, yes, it's on the blogs, and not just left wing blogs either.

:shrug:

sue me. it is a fact that it is a story that's going around the internet on serious, well-read blogs.

You cannot be seriously comparing the Swiftboating of Kerry with calling McCain out on his constant POW references (especially when his use of it is a complete dodge of the question he was asked) or some internet chatter about Palin's child/grandchild.

I am a hypocrite how?

Unless you were not referring to me?

Obama was associated with Avery? Yes or no? Do you believe that bombing was an appropriate activity to engage in?

How does that make me a hypocrite?

AS for the MCCain POW thing? I do not think your joke was about that. I did not take it that way, and still do not.

And YES...when it is brought up in here as a talking point to discredit McCain and/or Palin....I call bullshit.

I don't like even 5% of his agenda. He does nothing for students and doesn't even seem to recognize the reality of today's student situation.

sometimes I wish I was born in Canada

you guys do a lot of things right.

Our American system is what it is.

I was in college in the 70s.

You told me a BS and BA is worthless.

Someone else told me he hoped Obama would get elected becasse that would determine if he could go to Penn State.

That it would cost $100,000.

The Government has never paid for anything beyond high school.

I worked all through high school and had two jobs when I went to college.

We don't have $100,000 to pay for college student's worthless BS and BAs.

The student, family should plan for it, I did.

My 15 nieces and nephews are planning with their families, too.

I know it is not the Canadian way.

You know, I was asked yesterday if I was serious about casting my vote for Obama...I may have convinced myself otherwise here tonight. Thanks:doh:

You know, I was asked yesterday if I was serious about casting my vote for Obama...I may have convinced myself otherwise here tonight. Thanks:doh:

why?

aren't you letting a non-political issue -- Palin's baby, or not -- cloud your judgment? didn't you just say that you were happy that Obama/Biden are sticking to the issues?

you're going to vote for McCain because you're mad at me?

isn't that a question for Obama?

i'm sure he's answered it.

I believe he has....

Which would lead me to understand that there is some factual connection. More than the shite I have seen about Palin in here tonight and her baby.

I believe he has....

Which would lead me to understand that there is some factual connection. More than the shite I have seen about Palin in here tonight and her baby.

you are the one who's letting this story get out of hand.

the rest of us are taking it as it is, and taking a wait-and-see attitude.

i've explored some of the potential ramifications.

but i'm not basing my vote on it at all.

you seem to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom