US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #801
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
she wasn't extensively vetted. it was startling to most Republicans. it has caught everyone by surprise.

i am not kidding myself. not at all.

i will say it again -- i think it was a media stunt.
I think he sounded out plenty of people, but I would grant you that he ultimately discarded most of their advice.

I disagree with your statement that it was a rash choice. It was a calculated gambler's choice, which is not the same thing, at all, as rash.

It was a risky choice, granted, but it could pay off big - or alternatively, lose him the election big.
__________________

financeguy is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #802
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,476
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post

It was a risky choice, granted, but it could pay off big - or alternatively, lose him the election big.


sounds like the invasion of Iraq.

is this who we want making these decisions?
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #803
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,476
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I can show you where Palin has been more consistent in 2 years
than Obama has been in 6 months

you've convinced me

that Obama has a record

and Palin does not.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:30 PM   #804
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
sounds like the invasion of Iraq.

is this who we want making these decisions?
My point of view has always been that I am sceptical of interventionist foreign policy.

So, no, I don't want McCain making these decisions - but I wouldn't want, say, Hillary Clinton making them either. Obama may or may not be better, but he's completely untested, thus far, every bit as untested as Palin.

One thing Obama DOES have going for him, from the point of view of anti-war conservatives, is that he voted against the Iraq invasion.
financeguy is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:30 PM   #805
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I think he sounded out plenty of people, but I would grant you that he ultimately discarded most of their advice.

I disagree with your statement that it was a rash choice. It was a calculated gambler's choice, which is not the same thing, at all, as rash.

It was a risky choice, granted, but it could pay off big - or alternatively, lose him the election big.
I agree

I saw something where she had mentioned it back in April.


Just because McCain knows how to keep things on the down low
does not mean it did not happen.

I prefer this style
over ginning it all up like the Obama people did with all the hype and text crap.
deep is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #806
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,885
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
so you'd vote for McCain who obviously doesn't have these issues?

you'd vote for a man who's putting someone even more inexperienced than the (in your judgment) inexperienced Obama just a heartbeat away from the presidency?

the fact is, Obama is a known quantity who has thought deeply and seriously about issues, has said what he will do, and has managed a multimillion dollar organization that defeated the Clintons.

Palin has no such paper trail, there is no evidence that she's given any serious thought at all to foreign policy.

though it sounds like what i originally thought about the pick -- that McCain is engaging in some weird sort of judo -- is working on you.
Obama's known quantities...his propensity to surround himself with what I considener "extremist" views...concerns me.

That propensity concerns me more than her inexperience.

McCain has thought deeply about issues as well. That and 10 cents will get me...well...nothing in this country...hehe Damn economy.
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #807
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,476
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Obama may or may not be better, but he's completely untested, thus far, every bit as untested as Palin.

but we have ample evidence that he takes these decisions very, very seriously, and we have ample evidence that he makes informed, thought out, cautious decisions.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:32 PM   #808
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,663
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Wouldn't that make his visit after he announced? So really he does not give a rats ass about the troops because he was running for President by then.
Compelling argument you're making here. Searching Obama's senate records shows that he was talking about shortages in veteran's affairs budgets in 2005, and then went on to cosponsor a bill that led to a $1.5 billion increase in veteran's medical care. Also authored a Sheltering All Veterans Everywhere Act in '05, and a Homes for Heroes Act in '06.

Clearly doesn't give a shit about the troops.
Diemen is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:32 PM   #809
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you've convinced me

that Obama has a record

and Palin does not.
yes
a record of saying one thing and then doing something else.
deep is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:32 PM   #810
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,476
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I prefer this style
over ginning it all up like the Obama people did with all the hype and text crap.

in my opinion,

McCain's unveiling was a much, much bigger and more successful stunt.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #811
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,476
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Obama's known quantities...his propensity to surround himself with what I considener "extremist" views...concerns me.

That propensity concerns me more than her inexperience.

McCain has thought deeply about issues as well. That and 10 cents will get me...well...nothing in this country...hehe Damn economy.


other than Wright,

who are these extremists that you see Obama giving serious time and attention to in regards to the formulation of policy?
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #812
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
in my opinion,

McCain's unveiling was a much, much bigger and more successful stunt.

so go with success

and experience on the top of the ticket.
deep is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #813
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,476
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
yes
a record of saying one thing and then doing something else.


true.

if you can't say anything nice,

don't say anything at all.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #814
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Obama's known quantities...his propensity to surround himself with what I considener "extremist" views...concerns me.
i'm curious - who do you consider to be extremists? that's a genuine question.

someone other than wright?
Se7en is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:35 PM   #815
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,476
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
so go with success

and experience on the top of the ticket.


you'll be supportive of the various proxy wars with Russia and a permanent occupation of Iraq, then.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:36 PM   #816
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
so go with success

and experience on the top of the ticket.
Why don't we go with whose platform we agree with.

I don't agree with almost anything McCain says and 500 years of experience couldn't change that so I don't give a rat's ass about his Senate record. In fact, that only proves more to me that I don't want to vote for him.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?
anitram is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:37 PM   #817
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you'll be supportive of the various proxy wars with Russia and a permanent occupation of Iraq, then.
It's a fair point.

McCain never got over the fact that he lost Vietnam.

There are good and ample reasons for anti-war conservatives to be intensely suspicious of his agenda - which is why I still prefer Obama/Biden.
financeguy is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #818
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,885
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
i'm curious - who do you consider to be extremists? that's a genuine question.

someone other than wright?
the weatherman
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:44 PM   #819
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Why don't we go with whose platform we agree with.

I don't agree with almost anything McCain says and 500 years of experience couldn't change that so I don't give a rat's ass about his Senate record. In fact, that only proves more to me that I don't want to vote for him.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

platforms mean nothing

but if you are referring to his potential agenda

true, I am not crazy about all of it.

But, I am sure he will not abuse the office like Bush has and the Democratic Senate will keep him in check, and he will even choose a moderate course to get things accomplished


I just gave Obama / Biden 20 minutes of my time to watch them on 60 minutes.

And I swear, Obama could have been in a coma for the last four years.
He did not give one example of anything he has done.

Just all this non specific talk about nice things, saying he is for change.
He gives me nothing to vote for.
deep is offline  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:46 PM   #820
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,476
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
the weatherman


so you believe this stuff,

but think the Palin mother/grandmother thing is horseshit?
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×