US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #741
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:34 AM
If "the only qualified candidate" has to be one who admittedly doesn't understand the economy, doesn't understand Social Security, and thinks that no American is uninsured ... then I guess I don't want "the only qualified candidate."

Old 08-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #742
Refugee

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Obama/Biden has a sizable lead in Florida at the moment,.
Really? Check this out:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Florida: McCain vs. Obama

Quote:
Virginia apparently is nearly tied
Thats about right.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Virginia: McCain vs. Obama

Quote:
and Ohio is always a very narrow margin of victory regardless of who wins.
I wouldn't say always, but it is close at the moment.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Ohio: McCain vs. Obama

Quote:
a lesser lead in Pennsylvania
Now hear is where the Democrats actually have a solid lead and it will be interesting to watch to see if Palin and the Republican convention can cut into this or flip it. Ridge would have been the better running mate to do that obviously, but Obama did show he has weaknesses in Pennsylvania that the Palin pick might impact.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Pennsylvania: McCain vs. Obama

I think Pennsylvania will be difficult though. A more likely possiblity would be for McCain to win Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and Colorado. All red states last time and states where the Democrats currently do not have any real leads.

Here is the situation in Colorado:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Colorado: McCain vs. Obama

Here is the current electoral vote situation if the election were to happen this past week:

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map

Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #743
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i would love to hear how McCain thinks she'll govern.

She is already governing. She has done more governing, in point of fact, than the other three Democratic or Republican Presidential or VP nominees.

She is governing Alaska, I believe it's a state in your country, and doing so pretty well by most accounts. A little outside the DC Beltway, which is possibly why you haven't heard of it.

Or maybe you're biased against women and dismiss their achievments.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #744
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Or maybe she's, you know, a woman? And that alone tipped the scales.
I'm so fed up of these Republican feminists smashing the glass ceiling.

Who do they think they are?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #745
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Republican feminists
curious.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #746
ONE
love, blood, life

Executive experience is defined as having run a state or a business, right?

A presidential campaign is a business, you know. A business of which the candidate, namely Obama or McCain, is the CEO. They're big businesses with departments for communications/speechwriting, advertising, policy, scheduling, fundraising, etc etc. Each of the departments has a director, usually chosen and appointed by the candidate him/herself. Decisions are made every day, and the biggest/most important ones are no doubt made by the head honcho - the candidate. It's a business and the candidate - Obama or McCain - is running the whole show, has the final say on everything and bears the ultimate responsibility and/or blame for everything.

Considering that this business of Obama's has raised anywhere from 265 to 340 million dollars so far this election cycle(aka since its foundation) and has in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 million dollars on hand right now, and considering it managed to fill a stadium with 84,000 people the other night to support it, and since it has the support of probably 55-60 million people nationwide, and since he has been complimented by many for how well he's run his campaign, I'd say he's doing a hell of a job running this business of his, and since this business will be nearly two years old when all is said and done, I'd say that's some valuable executive experience.

And I don't know the exact numbers for McCain, but if he's still here, I guess he's doing an ok job(though not as good as Obama) running his business too.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #747
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:34 AM

Quote:
She is already governing. She has done more governing, in point of fact, than the other three Democratic or Republican Presidential or VP nominees.

She is governing Alaska, I believe it's a state in your country, and doing so pretty well by most accounts. A little outside the DC Beltway, which is possibly why you haven't heard of it.

perfectly stated.

<>
Old 08-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #748
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
If "the only qualified candidate" has to be one who admittedly doesn't understand the economy, doesn't understand Social Security, and thinks that no American is uninsured ... then I guess I don't want "the only qualified candidate."

Biden is also on record as saying he would be willing to run on a McCain ticket.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #749
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Executive experience is defined as having run a state or a business, right?

A presidential campaign is a business, you know. A business of which the candidate, namely Obama or McCain, is the CEO. They're big businesses with departments for communications/speechwriting, advertising, policy, scheduling, fundraising, etc etc. Each of the departments has a director, usually chosen and appointed by the candidate him/herself. Decisions are made every day, and the biggest/most important ones are no doubt made by the head honcho - the candidate. It's a business and the candidate - Obama or McCain - is running the whole show, has the final say on everything and bears the ultimate responsibility and/or blame for everything.

Considering that this business of Obama's has raised anywhere from 265 to 340 million dollars so far this election cycle(aka since its foundation) and has in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 million dollars on hand right now, and considering it managed to fill a stadium with 84,000 people the other night to support it, and since it has the support of probably 55-60 million people nationwide, and since he has been complimented by many for how well he's run his campaign, I'd say he's doing a hell of a job running this business of his, and since this business will be nearly two years old when all is said and done, I'd say that's some valuable executive experience.

And I don't know the exact numbers for McCain, but if he's still here, I guess he's doing an ok job(though not as good as Obama) running his business too.

Ah, but you have already said Obama was qualified as of January 2007 or even earlier, well before he ran this campaign or produced those numbers.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #750
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Ah, but you have already said Obama was qualified as of January 2007 or even earlier, well before he ran this campaign or produced those numbers.
When did he say that?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #751
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
When did he say that?
In the other thread, the 'McCain could win if he picks Palin' thread, because I posted the same thing there and that's how he responded, by asking me if I thought he was qualified BEFORE running the campaign in January 2007, and I said yes.

But I also said that he and I measure 'qualified' in very different ways.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #752
Refugee

Quote:
When did he say that?
In the Palin thread.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #753
Blue Crack Addict

Ah, I was scratching my head going through the posts here.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 AM   #754
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

all the snark aside, this totally misses the point, though i appreciate the attempt to wield empty American electoral catchphrases and pre-digested soundbytes as if one actually had the history and context to understand them.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:16 PM   #755
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
all the snark aside, this totally misses the point, though i appreciate the attempt to wield empty American electoral catchphrases and pre-digested soundbytes as if one actually had the history and context to understand them.
You know, I've disagreed with right wing American posters here on plenty of occasions, but none of them have ever implied, as you seem to be doing, that my point of view on US politics shouldn't be taken seriously because I lacked the 'history and context' to understand it.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #756
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:34 AM
But more importantly, where's Mittens?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:10 PM   #757
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
You know, I've disagreed with right wing American posters here on plenty of occasions, but none of them have ever implied, as you seem to be doing, that my point of view on US politics shouldn't be taken seriously because I lacked the 'history and context' to understand it.
the truth is

you made a valid point

she has executive experience

the others are only legislators

and Obama has no real accomplishments or anything to suggest he is a reformer.

Palin has much more of a track record in two years
than Obama has in 4 years

also, she went to Kuwait to visit the Alaskan National Guard.
and as Governor she is in commander in cheif of the Alaskan National Guard

Obama never went to visit the Illinois National Guard serving in Desert Shield.

It seems that when people can not give legitimate responses to opinion and statements in here they start writing about the poster or the style or some other nonsense.

I take it for what it is.

Is it a concession to the better argument?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:10 PM   #758
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

on that post, i think you missed it.

i think Europeans tend not to understand some specifically American context, especially in regards to race.

i think many Europeans don't know nearly as much about America as they think they do.

i was referring to something specific.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 PM   #759
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
It seems that when people can give legitimate responses to opinion and statements in here they start writing about the poster or the style on some other nonsense.

I take it for what it is.

A concession to the better argument.

good for you.

and when others are faced with legitimate responses to opinion,

they get deliberately simplistic.

so an argument like this:

Quote:
passes for a "legitimate response."
Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #760
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:34 AM
I admit I have some bias

do you think you have any?