US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Affairs have become so common in politics, there's no point. Both political parties have had their share of scandals (Foley, Vitter, Craig, Clinton, Spitzer, now Edwards) so it would be dumb for Democrats to rejoice over a Republican affair, or vice-versa. The only proper thing to do is to be disappointed and feel sorry for their families.

just as an aside, you know what's interesting about this -- the Democrats get caught cheating in what might be considered a "normal" context. like, they have affairs with prostitutes or younger women or whatever, but it's all not that surprising, really.

the Republicans are cruising for blow jobs in airport bathrooms or paying prostitutes to put them in diapers.

just sayin'.

I agree, an affair is an affair (and lying is lying) whether it's hitting up an intern for a blow job or cruising for favors from men in a public bathroom.

I agree, an affair is an affair (and lying is lying) whether it's hitting up an intern for a blow job or cruising for favors from men in a public bathroom.

If they wanted to get Larry Craig they should have got him with his body parts exposed in a public place in a sexual activity.

Larry Craig's actions tapping a foot, and a hand motion were not sufficient for any real conviction, had he chose to fight it.

Edwards, Clinton and Craig may have exercised poor judgment but they really did not break any laws.

Senator Vittner paid for the services of a prostitute in LA? or elsewhere when he was a U. S. Congressman, after he had sworn to uphold the laws and protect the Constitution.

I don't disagree that using a prostitute is legally different; the discussion I was replying to concerned "poor behavior" and how "normal" or abnormal various forms of it are.

Sorry I quoted you.

I was really directing this at anyone that cares to get involved in judging personal behavior outside of their own relationships.

Bill Clinton displayed "bad" personal behavior, but he was a very good President.

George W Bush may display "good" personal behavior but he has been about one of our worst Presidents, ever.

it seems to me that the Republicans have a few more psychosexual issues to work out, is all.

it seems to me that the Republicans have a few more psychosexual issues to work out, is all.

It seems to me that you would be more sensitive to people who may be repressing homosexual tendancies. But since you are calling the behavior of Republicans into question I leave you with some names:

Ted Kennedy - Manslaughter
Rep. Gerry Studds - Sex with a minor
Rep. Mel Reynolds - Sex with minor(s)
Rep. Brany Frank - Prostitution Ring out of Apartment.

There is more, but what does it prove. There are issues all around.

It seems to me that you would be more sensitive to people who may be repressing homosexual tendancies. But since you are calling the behavior of Republicans into question I leave you with some names:

Ted Kennedy - Manslaughter
Rep. Gerry Studds - Sex with a minor
Rep. Mel Reynolds - Sex with minor(s)
Rep. Brany Frank - Prostitution Ring out of Apartment.

There is more, but what does it prove. There are issues all around.

i have contempt and pity for Larry Craig and Mark Foley.

none for Vitter, though. just contempt.

you're also implicating Frank in a bit more than he's actually responsible for.

but the grander point i'm making is that none of these men have ever positioned themselves as part of a party that thinks it's some sort of arbiter of morality, or that only one kind of sex is the acceptable kind of sex, or presented bogus notions of "family values" that have nothing to do with their lived in reality. setting aside Ted Kennedy, since i was talking about sex, both Studds and Frank never, ever positioned themselves as advocates of "family values" or whatever nonsense has been at the center of the Republican party social platform for 20 years. just like i'm not all that concerned at who gives Bill Clinton a blowjob. we all knew he was a sleaze and would chase anything with a skirt. at least he didn't persecute others for the same behavior.

She definitely had bad people working on her campaign.

WASHINGTON (AP) ― Hillary Rodham Clinton's top campaign strategist advised her to cast presidential rival Barack Obama as having questionable "roots to basic American values and culture" and use the theme to counter the image that his background is diverse and multicultural.

"I cannot imagine America electing a president during a time of war who is not at his center fundamentally American in his thinking and in his values," Mark Penn wrote in a March 2007 memo to Clinton.

Clinton did not take Penn's advice, revealed by a report in the September issue of The Atlantic magazine.

The article says Clinton's campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination went from front-runner status to failure for a number of reasons, from badly managed money to blistering warfare between advisers. Clinton, the candidate who said she was ready to lead on Day One of her administration, did little to quell the infighting.

Clinton grew angry during a conference call with her senior aides about how to recover from her loss in the Iowa caucuses. She found herself doing most of the post-mortem, to near-silence on the other end of the line.

"This has been a very instructive call, talking to myself," Clinton snapped, and hung up, the magazine reported.

Mostly, the disputes were over whether to go negative against Obama, a half-black, Harvard-trained lawyer with a gift for soaring rhetoric and big themes.

Penn advised going negative.

Obama's background — he grew up in Indonesia and Hawaii — was a "lack of American roots," Penn wrote. Also a weakness, he added, was the divisive rhetoric of Obama's controversial pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who cursed America during a sermon.

"Won't a single tape of Wright going off on America with Obama sitting there be a game-ender?" Penn wrote in a March 30 memo.

Penn's memos also contained prescient advice. The memo from March 2007 talked about the importance of a key voting bloc he called "the invisible Americans" — women and lower- and middle-class voters.

Those groups helped Clinton beat Obama in key states before she quit the race in June.

That's pretty despicable.

Americans pride themselves as being the top destination for immigrants who are looking for a better life. But once you get there, you better get in the back of the line, you don't have sufficient American roots.

Yeah, we're still waiting for that Native American president, Mark Penn.

Well I'm glad she didn't fully take Penn's advice, she deserves credit for that...

Unfortunately, a majority of the right agree with this.

Unfortunately, a majority of the right agree with this.

Ugh... there you go again...

No, for the last time, a majority of the right couldn't care less about his nationality. I know it's hard for you to believe, but that isn't the reason why conservatives don't like him.

No, for the last time, a majority of the right couldn't care less about his nationality. I know it's hard for you to believe, but that isn't the reason why conservatives don't like him.

then why has it been part of the campaign against him?

Focus On Family Pulls Controversial Obama 'Rain' Video - Politics News Story - KMGH Denver

DENVER -- Focus on the Family Action has pulled a video from its Web site that had asked people to pray for "rain of biblical proportions" during Sen. Barack Obama's acceptance speech at Invesco Field on Aug. 28.

The political arm of Focus on the Family pulled the video Monday after a number of complaints from Focus members.

Stuart Shepard, the director of digital media for the group, wrote and starred in the video that he described as "mildly humorous."

In the video, Shepard called for Christians to pray for "abundant, torrential" rains during the Democratic nominee's acceptance speech in order to disrupt it. He had asked Christians to pray for rain that would create flash flood warnings and "swamp the intersections."

In the video, Shepard said he hoped the rain would start "two minutes before the acceptance speech begins."

"I'm still pro life, and I'm still in favor of marriage as being between one man and one woman," Shepard said in his video. "And I would like the next president who will select justices for the next Supreme Court to agree."

The video was posted on the Internet on July 30.

A spokesman for Focus on the Family Action said they regret the video and removed it. Focus on the Family Action lobbies for and against political issues.

YouTube - Man asks people to pray for rain during Obama's DNC speech

You can't be serious? It's a big part of Carosi's book, it's a big part of the mass emails going around, it's a big part of Rush/Hannity/Beck programs...

I'm sorry you don't notice it.

And re-read that article it's not talking about his "nationality" it's talking about how he didn't grow up in middle America, his "roots" aren't really America. Your heroes talk about this all the time, but because they are smart enough to not be blantant about you don't notice.

Focus On Family Pulls Controversial Obama 'Rain' Video - Politics News Story - KMGH Denver

DENVER -- Focus on the Family Action has pulled a video from its Web site that had asked people to pray for "rain of biblical proportions" during Sen. Barack Obama's acceptance speech at Invesco Field on Aug. 28.

The political arm of Focus on the Family pulled the video Monday after a number of complaints from Focus members.

Stuart Shepard, the director of digital media for the group, wrote and starred in the video that he described as "mildly humorous."

In the video, Shepard called for Christians to pray for "abundant, torrential" rains during the Democratic nominee's acceptance speech in order to disrupt it. He had asked Christians to pray for rain that would create flash flood warnings and "swamp the intersections."

In the video, Shepard said he hoped the rain would start "two minutes before the acceptance speech begins."

"I'm still pro life, and I'm still in favor of marriage as being between one man and one woman," Shepard said in his video. "And I would like the next president who will select justices for the next Supreme Court to agree."

The video was posted on the Internet on July 30.

A spokesman for Focus on the Family Action said they regret the video and removed it. Focus on the Family Action lobbies for and against political issues.

YouTube - Man asks people to pray for rain during Obama's DNC speech

Wow... Focus on the Hatred is back to their same ole shit.

Well maybe they figured that flooding might wash away some of their own as well.

it's a big part of Rush/Hannity/Beck programs...

Your heroes talk about this all the time, but because they are smart enough to not be blantant about you don't notice.

Bull. Show me.

The only part of that article that conservatives have used against Obama is Wright, as he should be.

The Fairbanks, Alaska Republican mayor has reservations about McCain's intellectual ability and tells Republicans there to vote for Obama.

Republican Mayor Jim Whitaker has said he is endorsing Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.

“My goal is to let Republicans have a clear understanding that their right to vote should not be restricted by any party affiliation,” the borough mayor said. He said the economic and political challenges facing the state and country are broader than political parties alone can address and suggested Republicans should consider crossing party lines by focusing on the strongest candidate this year.

Whitaker, a former state lawmaker, said a comparison of Obama and Republican Sen. John McCain leads him to believe Obama has the stronger “intellectual capacity” and a greater ability to manifest it.

Bull. Show me.

The only part of that article that conservatives have used against Obama is Wright, as he should be.

Rush has made fun of his name, ran parody songs 'The Magic Negro', and his arrogant upbringing(which is just laughable).

Hannity has entertained the Muslim connections, and has defended many of the lies in Carosi's book.

Blender had them name their top ten songs

BARACK OBAMA

1. Ready or Not Fugees
2. What's Going On Marvin Gaye
3. I'm On Fire Bruce Spingsteen
4. Gimme Shelter Rolling Stones
5. Sinnerman Nina Simone
6. Touch the Sky Kanye West
7. You'd Be So Easy to Love Frank Sinatra
8. Think Aretha Franklin
9. City of Blinding Lights U2
10. Yes We Can will.i.am