United we Stand, Divided we Fall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swizzlestick

The Fly
Even though elections seem to divide this country in two, I truly hope come Wednesday morning we put all bickering aside and support whoever OUR President is. Even if you don’t like the results, or the policies of the winning President, lets stick together and support them for the next 4 years.

Read the Subject of this post. It doesn't matter if it is your boss, your teacher or your coach. Give them support so we can move forward! The whole attitude of "I would never support George Bush because of this", or "I will never agree with anything John Kerry says bacause of that" is no way to get anything done.

Accept the results, move on and lets become one again.

if you don't approve of what is being done, oppose it.

the role of the opposition in a democratic state is an absolutely necessary one. to silence them is to handicap democracy. democracy in general, and its american iteration especially, does not need any additional handicaps placed on it.

Last edited:
I agree with kobayashi.:up:

While it would be nice if we could all become one on Weds. morning,in all reality - IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

This country has become increasingly divided over the last four years into two fairly divided camps - each with their own distinct opinions and objectives. :ohmy:

This division escalated when it was obvious that the last presidential election was underhandedly obtained through the court system. It started when the man that won the popular vote of the American People was not allowed to take office in 2000.

Our current president has been more concerned in solidifying the control of the American economy and the fate of other nations into the hands of his corporate friends than he has been in trying to bridge the gaps which divide the American people.:tsk:

While so many of us are struggling to provide for our families with MUCH LESS MONEY THAN WE HAD FOUR YEARS AGO and with no health insurance, THIS PRESIDENT CONTINUES TO PAY OUR PLIGHT LIP SERVICE WHILE DOING NOTHING TO HELP ALLEVIATE OUR PAIN.

So, while your dreams for a united America sound nice - Pres. Bush's neglect of the majority of the American people's REAL NEEDS are likely not to make that dream a reality.

Definitely time for regime change....:yes:

kobayashi said:
if you don't approve of what is being done, oppose it.

the role of the opposition in a democratic state is an absolutely necessary one. to silence them is to handicap democracy. democracy in general, and its american iteration especially, does not need any additional handicaps placed on it.

:up:

You're right, the beauty of a democracy is to question what is going on. If we were actually a democracy, I would agree with you. There is a greater threat to our society that is bigger than one man or issue that we all need to stick together on. If we don't get behind whoever our president is, all policy aside, we are already defeated. I am not saying if Bush gets re-elected you must change your stance and agree with him. But if Kerry gets elected, he will be my President and will have my support.

There is no way I can blindly support a President/adminstration if I strongly disagree with the way they are leading my country.

Accepting the result of an election is one thing...we don't have a choice for the next 4 years. But it doesn't mean I'm going to support an adminstration that I didn't vote for.

Whether or not I accept the results depends on how we arrive at those results. I accepted it in 2000. I will not do so if that happens again.

If Kerry wins tomorrow, he has my blessing. I don't feel too strongly about either of these candidates, but I can find at least one thing about each that I support.

Bono's American Wife said:
There is no way I can blindly support a President/adminstration if I strongly disagree with the way they are leading my country.

Accepting the result of an election is one thing...we don't have a choice for the next 4 years. But it doesn't mean I'm going to support an adminstration that I didn't vote for.

I generally pray for and "support" anyone who is occupying the office of the Presidency. This doesn't mean that I agree with them all of the time. I have a joke that if the election doesn't go my way, I'm stocking up on poster board at the drug store for protest signs. But then who knows, I'll probably end up using them for acrylic pallets. :wink:

verte76 said:
I generally pray for and "support" anyone who is occupying the office of the Presidency. This doesn't mean that I agree with them all of the time. I have a joke that if the election doesn't go my way, I'm stocking up on poster board at the drug store for protest signs. But then who knows, I'll probably end up using them for acrylic pallets. :wink:

Exactly

I love my country. It is the office of the Presidency that deserves respect and support. Whoever is the President will get nothing less from me.

swizzlestick said:

I love my country. It is the office of the Presidency that deserves respect and support. Whoever is the President will get nothing less from me.

:up: I know being Prez is one job I could never handle. Props to whoever is willing to put their ass out there!

swizzlestick said:

Unfortunately, the have lost this view of the office - it is now more about the person.

Our leaders deserve our support.

Our leaders need our prayers.

Our leaders need wisdom, which grows when we challenge them intelligently.

swizzlestick said:
Read the Subject of this post. It doesn't matter if it is your boss, your teacher or your coach. Give them support so we can move forward! The whole attitude of "I would never support George Bush because of this", or "I will never agree with anything John Kerry says bacause of that" is no way to get anything done.

Accept the results, move on and lets become one again.

Excellent post.......sadly from this thread you can see that it will not happen.:sad:

I'm really concerned about the "divide" in the country now. You should see some of the notes I was getting on my listservers. I quit one because I was getting tired of Bush-bashing posts. OK, I'm not crazy about the guy's policies, but enough is enough. If Bush wins, he's got my prayers and best wishes, and I will be only too happy to bury the hatchet. What's to be accomplished with blind hatred and rage? Wake up, people, it's *our* country.

As long as Democracy works there is nothing to worry about.

This means a legitimate winner in the election.
And the right for people to dissent as well, no matter who wins.

If the election goes awry, it could get real ugly.

verte76 said:
I'm really concerned about the "divide" in the country now. You should see some of the notes I was getting on my listservers. I quit one because I was getting tired of Bush-bashing posts. OK, I'm not crazy about the guy's policies, but enough is enough. If Bush wins, he's got my prayers and best wishes, and I will be only too happy to bury the hatchet. What's to be accomplished with blind hatred and rage? Wake up, people, it's *our* country.

Well, there were no wars and a good economy and the same thing was being done to Clinton. It's the nature of our system.
Giving the American people only two choices, in such a diversified nation is bound to create this friction. If Nader was anything other than a far left liberal, he might have more support. If Colin Powell, or someone moderate with credentials ever ran against the hierarchy of the two party system on a thrid ticket we might start to see change, but I would guess it won't happen. Too much power and money.

Let's just hope the election of either is legitimate. Sure, it doesn't mean that people will stop the bickering, but we don't need that.
We need people to speak out against our leaders. What we don't need is uneccessary radicals with "Bush is a Nazi" signs or whatever. Respect the democracy, that's what America is all about.

The problem is that some people really do think Bush is a Nazi. I do not, but I can't do anything about these partisan zealots.

Yeah, but there were people who hated Reagan with the passion of 1,000 fires. There were people who hated Carter, Clinton, Bush41 and so on. It's the extremists and every election cycle, you have the winning side talking about how the extremists want to ruin our country. And it never happens.

Again, the only thing that could cause us to divide in a manner that which America could really start to have major major problems is if people give up on the idea of our democracy. That is, mostly if Bush is elected under the same suspicious terms again. I wouldn't actively protest, because I don't believe either Bush or Kerry is a solution to our problems.

I think most people will accept if Bush is re-elected legitimately, I will. I think he has been an absolute failure, and I'm generally cosnervative on some issues, but if he's the choice of America, then so be it. But if it goes to litigation, it could be a really bad thing for America.

What would happen? I don't know. I think domestic terrorism is an actual threat, honestly. I saw it right here in my hometown 9 years ago.

I know about the people who hated Reagan. I demonstrated against his administration. I supported Clinton, but alot of people did not. And then the controversy in 2000 wasn't really good for anyone because some people continued to claim that the Bush Administration wasn't legitimate. Partisanship is nothing new. We'll only be so united under optimal circumstances. The question is, can we get to optimal circumstances after all of the votes are cast and the ballots counted?

Back
Top Bottom