United States of Entropy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
idiotic GOP stunts from egomaniacs like Cruz (R-Canada) have, over the past 4 years, done enormous harm to the economy. Shutdown countdown: What the next eight days could bring - The Washington Post i believe we've had 40 failed votes to repeal the ACA? it's difficult to keep count. i know hurting the economy is the point. and i know it might play well to the cheap, uninformed seats, and it lets the Tea Party crowd delay growth and blame Obama for everything under the sun ("thanks, Obama!"), but what it really does is harm other Americans.

I wonder if these conservatives want to hurt other Americans as well as Obama. When I hear anyone complaining about liberals, it sounds like they want to punish them for voting and supporting Obama or any other progressive.

idiotic GOP stunts from egomaniacs like Cruz (R-Canada) have, over the past 4 years, done enormous harm to the economy.

More like Ted Cruz (R-Calgary).

He's renouncing his Canadian citizenship. We won't miss him.

That's the problem with the whole system right now. Neither side can allow the success of the opposing party and hope for re-election. I still think that we should have nationwide draft from general public for congressional seats every 4 years. After the draft is over, have them play rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock for which one will server as president.

We can't do much worse than what we have now...

We've seen just how bad the recession was, the damage that was done, and the slowing of progress by a political party who's only (now failed) goal was to make Obama a one-term president.

What, pray tell, would President INDY have done?

(President Irvine would have started with a larger stimulus and he wouldn't have gutted the public sector)

Thank you for the softball question. Nothing Obama did and everything he didn't.

First, there would be no job killing Obamacare. A free market reform of health insurance that severed insurance from work.

Build the pipeline and drill baby drill. Energy independence and jobs.

Enforce our immigration laws and finish the fence on our southern border.

No more continuing resolutions. A Federal budget by Oct 1 of each year or an automatic across-the-board cut of 5%. This president has never signed a budget.

True entitlement reform along the lines of Paul Ryan

Real tax reform to cut rates, end loopholes and simplify

Get the government out of the student loans program. Obama took it over. Eliminate the Dept of Education.

True banking reform that split up the Too Big To Fail banks. They've grown under Dodd-Frank.

Thanks my first year anyway.

Thank you for the softball question. Nothing Obama did and everything he didn't. First, there would be no job killing Obamacare. A free market reform of health insurance that severed insurance from work. Build the pipeline and drill baby drill. Energy independence and jobs. Enforce our immigration laws and finish the fence on our southern border. No more continuing resolutions. A Federal budget by Oct 1 of each year or an automatic across-the-board cut of 5%. This president has never signed a budget. True entitlement reform along the lines of Paul Ryan Real tax reform to cut rates, end loopholes and simplify Get the government out of the student loans program. Obama took it over. Eliminate the Dept of Education. True banking reform that split up the Too Big To Fail banks. They've grown under Dodd-Frank. Thanks my first year anyway.

I expected nothing less, in fact, I probably could have written/cut-and-pasted this for you.

Good luck with all this.

Build the pipeline and drill baby drill. Energy independence and jobs.

By the time any of that comes online and actually has an impact solar power will be as cheap as dirt. Once again, technology will solve what politics could not.

INDY, I love you man - but you MUST stay informed (and I don't mean Drudge)...set up some Google alerts or something.

The report asserts that grid parity has already been attained in 10 US states as system costs of solar have fallen below US$3 per Watt. Hawaii and California lead tables of states at or near grid parity in the residential, commercial and industrial sectors.

US solar capacity to total 50GW by end of 2016, says Deutsche Bank

from today...

Surpassing competition after only over three years of research, and entering the roadmap at world class level, a new record efficiency of 44.7% was measured at a concentration of 297 suns. This indicates that 44.7% of the solar spectrum's energy, from ultraviolet through to the infrared, is converted into electrical energy. This is a major step towards reducing further the costs of solar electricity and continues to pave the way to the 50% efficiency roadmap.

World Record Solar Cell With 44.7% Efficiency

By the time any of that comes online and actually has an impact solar power will be as cheap as dirt. Once again, technology will solve what politics could not.

1) Tell N Dakota the the benefits of an American energy policy are years down the road. They currently have the lowest unemployment in the nation at 3% because of the energy boom.
INDY, I love you man - but you MUST stay informed (and I don't mean Drudge)...set up some Google alerts or something.

What's the BTU of solar energy. In other words, what area of space dedicated to solar panels would be required to replace an avg 600 megawatt coal plant?

1) Tell N Dakota the the benefits of an American energy policy are years down the road. They currently have the lowest unemployment in the nation at 3% because of the energy boom.
and of course, what happens to all these wonderfully employed families when the "market" changes?

What's the BTU of solar energy. In other words, what area of space dedicated to solar panels would be required to replace an avg 600 megawatt coal plant?
You need to start thinking of solar power in a different way. Like the CPU - they are getting smaller, faster, and more efficient every 18 months. Also - the solar "panels" you envision today are not the ones that will soon be the norm. Start thinking in terms of "cells." We will wear them, they will be built into the road system, they will be painted on buildings and houses. They will be integrated into every part of infrastructure.

In other words, if it's not as cheap and efficient as coal is right now, we shouldn't pursue it?

Isn't this cowardly behaviour inherent to that party (GOP)?
"If it's not as cheap and efficient as coal is right now, we shouldn't pursue it"
"If gun control does not prevent all mass shootings, we shouldn't pursue it"
"If a stimulus does not result in jobs for everyone, we shouldn't pursue it"
"If a health care overhaul does not remedy all issues immediately, we shouldn't pursue it"

I think their lack of responsibility, lack of ambition, unwillingness to take action and defeatist attitude quite shocking.

Isn't this cowardly behaviour inherent to that party (GOP)? "If it's not as cheap and efficient as coal is right now, we shouldn't pursue it" "If gun control does not prevent all mass shootings, we shouldn't pursue it" "If a stimulus does not result in jobs for everyone, we shouldn't pursue it" "If a health care overhaul does not remedy all issues immediately, we shouldn't pursue it" I think their lack of responsibility, lack of ambition, unwillingness to take action and defeatist attitude quite shocking.

It's not that shocking. We have a black president.

Isn't this cowardly behaviour inherent to that party (GOP)? "If it's not as cheap and efficient as coal is right now, we shouldn't pursue it" "If gun control does not prevent all mass shootings, we shouldn't pursue it" "If a stimulus does not result in jobs for everyone, we shouldn't pursue it" "If a health care overhaul does not remedy all issues immediately, we shouldn't pursue it" I think their lack of responsibility, lack of ambition, unwillingness to take action and defeatist attitude quite shocking.

There's more to it than that. INDY can correct me, but I think that the average Republican believes that government investment in solar makes the economy worse while not being worth that tradeoff; that gun control's effects in limiting mass shootings are limited enough to not worth the sacrificing of individual liberty, or that gun control makes crime worse; that stimulus actually hurts job-creation (an opinion shared by most economists, actually); and that state-sponsored health care is bad for health care/the economy enough to not be worth any benefits that it may bring. Those tradeoffs are where policy differs, and it's important to understand them in developing policy positions. I'm not sure that ascribing a cause of cowardice for positions that are somewhat reasonably thought through (even though I certainly don't agree with all of them) is particularly productive.

There's more to it than that. INDY can correct me, but I think that the average Republican believes that government investment in solar makes the economy worse while not being worth that tradeoff; that gun control's effects in limiting mass shootings are limited enough to not worth the sacrificing of individual liberty, or that gun control makes crime worse; that stimulus actually hurts job-creation (an opinion shared by most economists, actually); and that state-sponsored health care is bad for health care/the economy enough to not be worth any benefits that it may bring. Those tradeoffs are where policy differs, and it's important to understand them in developing policy positions. I'm not sure that ascribing a cause of cowardice for positions that are somewhat reasonably thought through (even though I certainly don't agree with all of them) is particularly productive.

:up: Nice post! It's important to not demonize opposing views.

just wait to see how they act when the next president has a vagina. #evenworse

I'm curious to see what you think of Digitize's post. It seemed to be a clear and coherent exploration of the Right's position. I certainly hope dialogue across different ideological lines is still possible.

I'm curious to see what you think of Digitize's post. It seemed to be a clear and coherent exploration of the Right's position. I certainly hope dialogue across different ideological lines is still possible.

i don't think Obama's race can ever be discounted in the sheer level of disdain and nihilism that's come across from the GOP since 2008. they have spent the past 5 years trying to reverse the results of two elections (where they got clobbered). race is a part of the American story, and it's always a factor. to pretend that racial resentment isn't a part of the Obama story, and to pretend that even something like "food stamps" isn't loaded, coded language, is simply wrong. and i think people aren't as willing to admit their subtle prejudices, nor do they quite realize how affected we all are by such things -- we may not even be aware of the reactions we have.

but of course that isn't the whole story. of course digitze's post was coherent and helpful, and i readily admit that my post wasn't helpful, it was intended as a bit of off-the-cuff snark, a little bit funny, and definitely true to an extent.

i don't think Obama's race can ever be discounted in the sheer level of disdain and nihilism that's come across from the GOP since 2008. they have spent the past 5 years trying to reverse the results of two elections (where they got clobbered). race is a part of the American story, and it's always a factor. to pretend that racial resentment isn't a part of the Obama story, and to pretend that even something like "food stamps" isn't loaded, coded language, is simply wrong. and i think people aren't as willing to admit their subtle prejudices, nor do they quite realize how affected we all are by such things -- we may not even be aware of the reactions we have.

but of course that isn't the whole story. of course digitze's post was coherent and helpful, and i readily admit that my post wasn't helpful, it was intended as a bit of off-the-cuff snark, a little bit funny, and definitely true to an extent.

I agree that race plays a factor in the high levels of hate Republicans have for Obama. I remember there was a lot of disdain for Bill Clinton, but an obsessive hate for Hillary Clinton back in the 90s. So I do agree that race and gender are playing a role in many of a Republicans' attitude these days. To sum it up, having a black man in the White House can reveal a whole different side of someone.

ETA: But let's not forget that even Laura Bush got some verbal attacks from liberals, even though there seems very little to hate her about. Such is life in a divided country

To which I ask Republicans, "What's the solution?" And to which I usually hear something akin to "Get government off our backs!"

To which I ask Republicans, "What's the solution?" And to which I usually hear something akin to "Get government off our backs!"

The solution to the economic stuff, from what I understand, is shrinking the government. This isn't absurd if you accept the premise that an oversized government is directly responsible for our current woes. And is that not just the root of economic differences between the American left and the American right? The former believes more than the latter that the government's intervention in the economy can produce good results. Shrinking the government is not the same thing as doing nothing, and it is a policy suggestion that can be borne by more than selfishness.

Shrinking government is great in theory, but it's not a solution, and the problem is there are no real solutions offered. The space program wouldn't have been done left up to the private sector, it's not profitable. The majority of research will not be done, or at least not started in the private sector, it's not profitable. Healthcare is for the most part "free market" right now and look what it's done.

We even had a poster in here once suggest that highways and interstates should be privatized, can we imagine what a profitable infrastructure would look like?!

Shrinking the government does nothing for the problem, what we need to do is overhaul the government. Remove the pork, don't just talk about it, remove it. That alone would make such an incredible impact it would be ridiculous. Regulate lobbyist more!!!

The partisan divide of today is actually a religious one. There are people on the right that worship the free market, it can do no wrong and there is no place for government. There is a sector of society today that I honestly believe their beliefs are love of free market, love of gun, love of God, in that order.

Then their are people on the left that worship government, it needs to be everywhere and regulation will ultimately give them equality for all.

Both of these sectors are small, but they're loud and have a strong hold on both parties.

i don't think Obama's race can ever be discounted in the sheer level of disdain and nihilism that's come across from the GOP since 2008.

While I don't disagree that race may be a factor for some Republicans, I think it's a cheap and easy distraction to focus on the President's race as opposed to having an honest and open discussion about the deep ideological divides that separate us. The problem is that race-and-gender bias are ephemeral things that can't really be proven easily, and which only prove incendiary and emotionally manipulative. It's far easier to play that card than to actually engage the ideological divide and figure out how to resolve differences. I really like Digitize and BVS' posts in that regard. We need more of that.

I'm not sure that this helps the cause either. I can't imagine what would have happened had Bush likened Senate Democrats in 06 to terrorists.
On Debt Ceiling, WH Compares GOP To Terrorists - Business Insider

What did the '06 Democrats do that would warrant a comparison with defunding the government and this debt ceiling nonsense?

I don't think false equivalence are helpful either.

I think race has been a political motivator since 1789, and most certainly wielded by the GOP since 1964.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom