United Methodist Ninja Detained By ATF Agents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Too far or were they just doing their jobs? Shouldn't they have been told this event was taking place on the campus and that people would be dressed as ninjas and pirates? Should he sue?

http://www.redandblack.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/04/13/443dd07e60128

"Having dressed up as a ninja for his part in Wesley’s spirit week event, Ransom was stopped by ATF agents who interpreted his clothing and behavior as suspicious.

The agents were on campus for Project Safe Neighborhoods, a training program they put on for state and local law enforcement. Tuesday’s program was hosted by University police.

Ransom was apprehended as he jogged from Wesley to nearby Snelling.

“One of the guys yelled I had a gun, tackled me and asked where my gun was,” Ransom said.

After telling agents he only had his keys, wallet and cell phone on him, Ransom said the agent pinning him to the ground responded that, being trained officers, they would not mistake any of those items for a gun.

The dialogue between Ransom and the agent went back and forth, with the agent insisting Ransom had a gun, and Ransom insisting he was unarmed.

Ransom said he explained to the plainclothes agents, that he was participating in an event, and that other costumed people were at the Wesley building.

“I told them, ‘There’s 30 other people dressed up as pirates and ninjas’,” Ransom said."

University Police Chief Jimmy Williamson said he was unhappy with how the situation was handled, but later had a “constructive talk” with an ATF supervisor.

“I can see how as law enforcement officers, they interpreted what they saw as suspicious,” Williamson said, “but the police have to show a bit of due diligence.”

I'd be worried if someone thought they could walk around town in full Ninja gear (on any day other than Halloween) and not be stopped by authorities.

nbcrusader said:
I'd be worried if someone thought they could walk around town in full Ninja gear (on any day other than Halloween) and not be stopped by authorities.

That's why Batman ran into so many problems.:wink:

nbcrusader said:

Alright, now. Hold your horses. This is Athens, Georgia we're talking about here. And to be honest, any day in Athens could be Halloween.
On the UGA campus, the distance between the Wesley Foundation and Snelling Dining Hall is maybe 100 yards. And that is on campus---not "around town"
Also, if you've ever been to Athens (and "around town"), you would not be alarmed at the sight of a college kid wearing a ninja costume.
Athens is a party town.

didn't the thought occur to the police that a professional ninja would know better than to go out for a morning jog around campus in broad daylight dressed in full ninja gear? :der:

But if true criminal activity were taking place in such an obvious fashion, no one would buy the police's excuse that "they're all weird" or "we thought it was a party".

Back
Top Bottom