United 93 -- The Movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
i still don't want to see it, but apparently it's a terrific piece of moviemaking, currently running at 92% over on Rotten Tomatoes.

here's what one of my favorite critics had to say:

[q]LAST IMPRESSIONS
“United 93” and “The Death of Mr. Lazarescu.”
by DAVID DENBY
Issue of 2006-05-01
Posted 2006-04-24

“No one is going to help us. We’ve got to do it ourselves.” Those plain, unarousing words, spoken by a man ordinary in looks but remarkable in perception and courage, are a turning point in “United 93,” Paul Greengrass’s stunning account of how a group of airline passengers, almost certain of death, decided on the morning of September 11th to fight back against hijackers on a suicide mission. But Greengrass doesn’t build the moment as a turning point in any conventional way. The words of the anonymous passenger, a round-faced man who has been studying the hijackers ever since they made their first moves, are spoken firmly but without emphasis, and no dead air is placed around the statement to give it extra weight. The hijackers have taken over the flight at knifepoint and murdered a passenger in first class, and everyone else, appalled, has gathered at the back of the plane. By this time, both the passengers and the crew understand what is going on. Many of them have spoken by cellphone to friends and relatives, and they know that the World Trade Center and the Pentagon have been hit. The hijackers aren’t going to land and hold them hostage; they are going to slam them into another building. The only issue—for the flight controllers and the military people we see at other points in the movie, as well as for the people on board—is what can be done to take control of a situation both terrifying and unprecedented. Greengrass’s movie is tightly wrapped, minutely drawn, and, no matter how frightening, superbly precise. In comparison with past Hollywood treatments of Everyman heroism in time of war, such as Hitchcock’s hammy “Lifeboat,” or more recent spectacles, like “War of the Worlds,” there’s no visual or verbal rhetoric, no swelling awareness of the Menace We All Face. Those movies were guaranteed to raise a lump in our throats. In this retelling of actual events, most of our emotion is centered in the pit of the stomach. The accumulated dread and grief get released when some of the male passengers, shortly after those few words are spoken, rush the hijackers stationed at the front of the plane with the engorged fury of water breaking through a dam.

A fair amount of distaste for this movie has been building in recent weeks. Would the heroic event—which ended when the plane crashed in Pennsylvania, killing everyone aboard—be exploited in some way? And why do we need to take this death trip? But “United 93” is a tremendous experience of fear, bewilderment, and resolution, and, when you replay the movie in your head afterward, you are likely to think that Greengrass made all the right choices. Born in England in 1955, he has directed, among other films, “Bloody Sunday,” a re-creation of the British Army’s massacre of Northern Irish protesters, in 1972; and “The Bourne Supremacy,” a franchise action movie in which a near-silent Matt Damon tears up Europe. What unites all three films is a dynamic use of the camera. It’s handheld and thrust into the tumult, yet somehow—and this is the essence of Greengrass’s art—we see what we need to see.

The movie begins slowly, with the morning prayers of the sweet-faced young men who will become the terrorists; the drowsy routine at Newark airport, where Flight 93, bound for San Francisco, began; the passengers amiably settling into the plane; the puzzlement at the Federal Aviation Administration command center, as first one and then another flight veers off course. When Flight 93 is hijacked, the passengers initially respond with panic, while the flight controllers on the ground, burning through their disbelief, try (without success) to rouse the military. Steadily, the editing becomes quicker, the language grows more terse and peremptory, and we begin to pick up details in a flash, out of a corner of the camera’s eye.

The hijackers kill the pilots, but Greengrass doesn’t show us their deaths; we just see their bodies being dragged across the cockpit, from the point of view of a flight attendant in the middle of the plane. Rejecting standard front-and-center staging, Greengrass works in half-understood fragments. When the passengers revolt, the violence is not an artfully edited fake but a chaotic, flailing scramble, and it’s not performed by charismatic types displaying their prowess. In a story of collective and anonymous heroism, we don’t want Denzel Washington leading the charge or Gene Hackman wrathfully telling the military to get on the stick. Greengrass uses real flight attendants, air controllers, and pilots, and mixes them in with little-known or unknown actors. As an ensemble, the players are stolid, but in a good way—they exhibit a combination of incomprehension and intelligence, befuddlement and alertness, that feels right. They live within the moment without overdefining it.

Flight 93’s departure, scheduled for 8 A.M., was delayed. By the time the plane got off the ground, the attacks on the World Trade Center were only a few minutes away. In the movie, once the flight is aloft Greengrass sticks to real time, and the passing minutes have an almost demonic urgency. This is true existential filmmaking: there is only the next instant, and the one after that, and what are you going to do? Many films whip up tension with cunning and manipulation. As far as possible, this movie plays it straight. A few people made extraordinary use of those tormented minutes, and “United 93” fully honors what was original and spontaneous and brave in their refusal to go quietly.

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/articles/060501crci_cinema

[/q]

i'm very torn over this issue... both with United 93 and Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center," which i think is due in august.

i know people who died that day, but i'm not going to say that movie's shouldn't be made about the subject... i mean we've had movies about the holocaust, pearl harbor, the titanic, and countless other tragedies/disasters... and i've seen many of them.

while i think it's too soon for a hollywood production about 9/11, who am i to really say when is too soon? it's been 5 years... when would it be ok? 10 years? 20 years? 50 years?

i don't know... i'll probably go see it by myself at like a matinee. it's certainly not a "date" movie, that's for sure.

:shrug: i think the fact that it's leading off TriBeCa helped me decide on wether to see it or not.

Last edited:
i suppose one difference is that most of us didn't live through D-Day, the Holocaust, the Civil War, Pearl Harbor, and most of us weren't actually on the ground in Vietnam, whereas for most of us 9-11 happened in front of us on our TV screens. no, we weren't on that flight, but i've got a pretty good idea what happened, i don't see the need to dramatize such an event (whereas, for example, the dramatization of the Holocaust in "Schindler's List" was profoundly moving as it brought history to terrible life).

i have no problems with it being made, nor with people who want to see it, i just don't want to see it.

but then again, if it is as good a film as everyone is saying it is, and since Greengrass is a terrific up-and-coming director, i can't say that i'm not curious.

I'm torn about it, part of me wants no part of it but part of me wants to see it and wants to somehow honor those who died by seeing it. I know that sounds terribly corny and wrong (there are better things to do to honor them, maybe I'm not saying it in the correct way), Unfortunately I never made it to Ground Zero or to the United 93 or Pentagon sites to honor then in that way. I watched the tv movie on A&E about Flight 93 and the WTC TV documentary complete with the sounds of the falling bodies. Watching it in private is one thing, going to a theater is entirely different for me. I am afraid I will be emotionally uncomfortable in the extreme. I cry at movies all the time but obviously this is entirely different. Part of me also feels like it is terribly voyeuristic in some way and I hate that feeling.

But if the family members of some of those people can see it (and they have) then it is no sacrifice for me in comparison. I just worry that it is somehow another action/suspense movie a la Bourne Supremacy, tragically the ending of this one is all too real.

Am I the only one who has never quiet felt right about United 93? I'm not suggesting that Bush was behind 9/11, I'm just saying I often wonder if the passangers took over the plane - and if they did, why didn't they try to land it? - or if the plane was shot down.

I really don't want to see it.

I think it's way too soon. Movies like this should let some amount of time pass.

On the one hand, I read the 9/11 commission report, and I found the parts regarding the hijackings and what went on that day on those planes to be terribly heartbreaking. It is a difficult read, but I think an important one. On the other hand, I don't want to see the movie, because it just makes me uneasy I guess. What the people onboard did is incredibly heroic and I'm not sure that all of us here would do it, put in the same situation. Who knows. But what I find so sad about it is that there is really no happy ending there - not for the people who died, not for their families and not even for the rest of us because this world, post 9/11 is a shitty place to be. So the entire movie is a hard thing to take.

I'm not really opposed to it being made - that's something for the families to speak out about if they feel that way. I just personally don't want to see it.

WildHoneyAlways said:
WWII movies were being produced shortly after the war ended. (The Sands of Iwo Jima for example)

Actually WWII movies were being made way before the United States even entered the war.

Casablanca
The Great Dictator with Charlie Chaplin
Confessions Of A nazi Spy
Foreign Correspondent Alfred Hitchcock
Dive Bomber

The Fighting Sullivans (about 5 American brothers killed on the Battleship Juneau shortly after Pearl Harbor) took less than a year to become a motion picture.

In the 40's Hollywood supported the war effort and churned out dozens of pro-America, pro-Allied pictures. War bonds were sold in theater lobbies. And people flocked to the movies. Fast forword to 2006 and Hollywood is staunchly anti-war, considers George Bush the enemy and actually awards Oscars to the movies that show the United States in the worst light.
Hopefully United 93 will open some eyes.

blueyedpoet said:
Am I the only one who has never quiet felt right about United 93? I'm not suggesting that Bush was behind 9/11, I'm just saying I often wonder if the passengers took over the plane - and if they did, why didn't they try to land it? - or if the plane was shot down.

I guess I am the only one. Let me clarify something. I'm not suggesting a huge conspiracy theory. And, who knows how people respond when their lives are threatened. Maybe they did try to save the plane. Based upon news reports, I'm just a bit skeptical in accepting the provided story.

Damn, I realized I spelt passengers incorrectly in my original post...I fixed it in this post, but I'm sure it's too late to edit my original. Oh well....

as MrsSpringsteen stated...
Watching it in private is one thing, going to a theater is entirely different for me. I am afraid I will be emotionally uncomfortable in the extreme. I cry at movies all the time but obviously this is entirely different

I don't get to the theater very often, for many reasons. But I don't think I would see it in a theater. I may wait for it to air on cable or rent it, as U2Democrat said... I must say I was more intrigued about the movie after reading the review Irvine511 posted. Seeing the commercials on TV though, I just thought 'too soon'.

Hollywood patriots in the 40's;
Two of it's biggest stars, Jimmy Stewart & Clark Gable, enlist and fly bombing missions over Germany.

Hollywood patriots of today;
Michael Moore, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and George Clooney bravely protest the war from their California mansions.

INDY500 said:
Two of it's biggest stars, Jimmy Stewart & Clark Gable, enlist and fly bombing missions over Germany.

Michael Moore, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and George Clooney bravely protest the war from their California mansions.

Yet another unnecessary commentary from the armchair generals.

Melon

INDY500 said:
In the 40's Hollywood supported the war effort and churned out dozens of pro-America, pro-Allied pictures. War bonds were sold in theater lobbies. And people flocked to the movies. Fast forword to 2006 and Hollywood is staunchly anti-war, considers George Bush the enemy and actually awards Oscars to the movies that show the United States in the worst light.

Hollywood still churns out propaganda films. "Independence Day" and "Armageddon" were two notable examples in the mid-to-late 1990s.

I wish I could give you more modern examples, but I avoid manipulative tripe like the plague now that I'm older. And just for the record, I avoid manipulative tripe on the left too (i.e., "Super Size Me").

Melon

Anyway, it sounds like a good movie, but I'm not sure I want to see it either. Coincindentally, I've spent the last couple days going through the CBS feed tapes from 9/11 for a news promotion, and, frankly, I can't think of anything more chilling than that.

But as for the movie being made, good for the director. I imagine it'll be a good movie to see someday when I'm less haunted.

Melon

I really want to see this movie, not for voyeuristic reasons, but because I still haven't resolved what happened on September 11. I believe documentary film-making, when it's done well, can be extremely effective. It can really act as a tool in contemplating both the human condition and all the cruel and senseless things we too often do to one another.

I also find it intriguing that the movie will be in real-time, without editorializing, or going into the back-story of any of the passengers. From what I gather, we'll simply see a snapshot in time -- it will be up to the viewer to attach any sort of meaning to what's taking place.

As far as it being too early to produce such a film, I can certainly empathize with those who feel this way. If you're an American, or have any sort of tangible connection to the events through family or friends, it will be a difficult thing to watch. From my Canadian perspective, however, I really feel we need to accelerate a greater communication between all parties and cultures involved in the events of 9/11. It seems as though many people (and politicians) have retreated from this discussion, replacing it with rigid opinions and stereotypes.

I think this film will be difficult to see, but also too important to miss.

Last edited:
INDY500 said:

Michael Moore doesn't live in California:|

I am going to see it with the father of someone who died that day. I am not sure when we are going, probably before it leaves so it will be more private.

I would not see it otherwise. He and I shoveled dirt to build a peace garden in his daughter's memory.

Why not go see it?

We live in a world drenched in evil.

Have you heard any news lately on the war in Uganda?
*twenty years and counting...*

We miss so much keeping an eye on Tom Cruise or ....

melon said:

Yet another unnecessary commentary from the armchair generals.

Melon

Just an observation. There's a reason that those that fought and won WWII are called The Greatest Generation. They recognized a threat and they were willing to make ANY sacrifice to stop it.
That's what happened aboard United 93.

From a Dennis Prager column:

"If anything should be controversial, it is Hollywood going AWOL while its country fights the scourge of our time, Islamic totalitarianism. For five years, America has been battling people who are dedicated to destroying every value that Hollywood claims to care most about -- freedom, tolerance, women's rights, secular government, equality for gays -- and Hollywood has yet to make a film depicting, let alone honoring, this war."

INDY500 said:
Just an observation. There's a reason that those that fought and won WWII are called The Greatest Generation. They recognized a threat and they were willing to make ANY sacrifice to stop it.
That's what happened aboard United 93.

From a Dennis Prager column:

"If anything should be controversial, it is Hollywood going AWOL while its country fights the scourge of our time, Islamic totalitarianism. For five years, America has been battling people who are dedicated to destroying every value that Hollywood claims to care most about -- freedom, tolerance, women's rights, secular government, equality for gays -- and Hollywood has yet to make a film depicting, let alone honoring, this war."

I'm not against criticism. I just thought that particular one was pretty "hit-and-run" about it.

The trouble is with that Prager comment, what kind of film is Hollywood supposed to make? Demographics are very different now when compared to WWII. American audiences are extremely escapist nowadays, not unlike the filmgoing audiences of the Great Depression. Chances are, if Hollywood made a bunch of films about war, people would just tune out. If they want to deal with the war on terrorism, all they have to do is turn on the TV. Of course, back in the 1940s, there was no TV.

It is not about being anti-American as much as Hollywood exists to make money. That's certainly not unlike any of the GOP's campaign contributors, so I find it very hard to swallow such rhetoric as being genuine.

Melon

I don't know that any generation is "Greater" or less than any other generation.

"The Greatest Generation" did show some remarkable commitment to fighting facism. . .after Pearl Harbor was attacked anyway. The "Greatest Generation" by and large stood by while a U.S. citizens had their property virutally confisicated and were placed in camps. While some members of "The Greatest Generation" fought and died to stop Hitler's racist regime their families back home had to sit at the back of the bus and couldn't vote in local elections.

On the other hand, just five years ago, some this generation's "self-indulgent" and "unwilling to sacrifice" members acted to stop terrorists from crashing yet another plane, others went in to burning buildings to save lives.

I don't say this to disrespect those who fought for our country (or those who refused to for conscience sake). My father in law is a veteran. I met over 100 veterans who, during World War II, fought on the island where I live now, and that was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

But. . .

Perhaps, people are just people. Maybe the "conventional wisdom" of society changes. Maybe what causes Hollywood chooses to champion change. (And by the way, Hollywood has always existed to make money. They make what sells. Period.). But at the end of the day people are people, capable of great heroism, capable of great cowardice.

melon said:

You make some valid and extremely interesting points. I'd expect no less from someone who acknowledges the genius of the great Orson Wells. I just hope people will give the movie a look, if not at the cinema, than on DVD.

A la prochaine fois

INDY500 said:

Make it a money making proposition and Hollywood would "honor" just about anything.

Tools like Prater can't see the forrest for their own agenda.
Hollywood cares about making money more than some so-called political agenda.

Like so many of his peers, Prater probably blasted Hollywood for 'promoting' homosexuality with Brokeback or Capote.

Brokeback had a budget of 14 mill and has made 83 mill in return
Capote had a budget of 7 mill and has made 28 million in return

Now let's think of war movies, the most recent being Jarhead (that I could think of)
budget of 70 million and a has made 62 million, a loss

It's like everything else, it's about money.
This United 93 movie, as much as I try and put cynicism aside, is about that as well. There was a Flight 93 movie on A&E a few months ago, it was good, why wasn't this enough of a tribute?
Gotta go for the cash grab, low budgets (15 mill), large audience=$$$, maybe they should donate everything above the costs to charities, if this is really about a tribute.

Hey. Hey. Give it to me. Give it to me.

Give it to me. Give it to me. Give it to me.
Give it to me. Give it to me. Give it to me.

Allah is the Greatest
Allah is the Greatest
Allah is the Greatest
Allah is the Greatest
Allah is the Greatest

No
Allah is the Greatest
Allah is the Greatest

I wonder if they include evidence that it was a faith based initiative :|

Dreadsox said:
I am going to see it with the father of someone who died that day.

I'm sure that will be a special experience. I am so sorry for his loss.

As weird as it probably sounds to some people I still think of that day and those people almost every day. It will just randomly come into my mind or some everyday thing will trigger it.

I'm planning to see this movie. I'm sure I'll cry all the way through it but I think it's important - and a part of history.

http://www.variety.com/VR1117942055.html

"A wrenching reminder of 9/11 was surrounded with red-carpet hoopla at the world premiere of "United 93," which kicked off the fifth edition of the Tribeca film fest Tuesday at GothamGotham's Ziegfeld theater.

After the film's devastating final scene, the screen abruptly went dark and a cacophony of loud, uncontrollable sobs could be heard coming from the back of the theater, where many of the nearly 100 family members of 9/11 victims were seated.

Some were seeing the film for the first time. As more than 1,100 viewers filed out, a funereal silence filled the theater.

And as the sobbing continued after the screening, there were sounds of other people comforting the family members and taking them outside."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom