Ugly Elctions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]The election of 1828

One of the most vitriolic elections was in 1828.

John Quincy Adams was nicknamed "The Pimp" by the campaign of his opponent General Andrew Jackson, based on a rumour that he had once coerced a young woman into an affair with a Russian nobleman when he had been American ambassador to Russia.

Adams' supporters hit back with a pamphlet which claimed: "General Jackson's mother was a common prostitute brought to this country by British solders! She afterwards married a mulatto man with whom she had several children of which number General Jackson is one!!" Jackson won anyway.

And just to show that this kind of thing goes right back to the start of American campaigning, we have the election of 1800 in which Thomas Jefferson was accused of favouring the teaching of "murder, robbery, rape, adultery and incest". Jefferson won. He did not teach the offending subjects.

George Bush and John Kerry have got off quite lightly. [/Q]

Looks like ours are tame...hehe!

Please add any election stories and links....I find this klind of history interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3493277.stm

One particularly obnoxious racist politician was Theodore Bilbo of Mississippi, who lived from 1877 to 1947. I *think* he is the one who accused one of his opponents of "having been born in a n:censored:r graveyard at midnight". He was elected governor of Mississippi twice. He fell into disrepute when he supported Hitler. Good grief, we have had some terribly unsavory characters in American politics.

Last edited:
In a favorite novel of mine (Sophie's Choice) a character referred to Bilbo's death of cancer of the mouth. He (the character) thought it a fitting end for such a man.

Last edited:
najeena said:
In a favorite novel of mine (Sophie's Choice) a character referred to Bilbo's death of cancer of the mouth. He (the character) thought it a fitting end for such a man.

Yeah. The man was an absolute :censored: bastard, just about the worst man to ever participate in American politics. I don't think it's wrong to heartily dislike Dixiecrats, and he was the worst one of them all.

Back
Top Bottom