UGG - you can buy the name, but it will never be American

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
http://sundaytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,9353,8481657-28778,00.html

Just another example of Bastard Corporations.
Next time you buy a Decker's UGG, know that some poor Down's sufferer is probably out of a job.
And that they will never be American.

:angry:

Charity sued over ugg boot name

January 25, 2004
A CHARITY organisation that employs the intellectually disabled has been threatened with legal action if it continues to use the name ugg boot.

Westhaven Industries, a non-profit organisation, employs 65 intellectually disabled people to make ugg boots at a factory on the outskirts of Dubbo.

But last month a letter from lawyers representing US footwear company Deckers Corporation demanded it stop trading under the shop-front name, The Ugg Boot Shop, or be sued.

Westhaven Industries production manager Anthony Sullivan said the legal pursuit could crush the charity organisation, labelling the move "un-Australian".

"We are simply trying to give the intellectually disabled a chance to have a good life and to teach them skills," he said. "To have this hanging over our heads is an absolute disgrace."

Deckers Corporation, operating under Ugg Holdings Inc, bought an Australian ugg boot company and registered the name ugg boots five years ago.

But it's only now that it is cracking down on ugg boot offenders, demanding they stop using the name.

Now dozens of manufacturers and traders have been issued with a demand to stop using the name or face legal action.

In what is shaping up to be a David and Goliath battle, Mr Sullivan said although the company can't afford legal representation, it won't go down without a fight.

"We have been selling sheepskin products for 30 years, long before ugg boots became trendy in America, and to have to give up the name is just ridiculous," Mr Sullivan said.

"It's like registering the name sneakers ? it's a generic term that everyone uses.

"We are a non-profit organisation and any money that we do earn goes straight back into helping the intellectually disadvantaged around the Dubbo area.

"But now we've got this letter saying we will be sued if we continue to use any promotional or advertising material with the name ugg.

"They are a multi-million company and we are a piece of gravel that they want to run over," he said.

"We are planning to form an alliance with other ugg boot companies around Australia in the hope that we can fight this together."

Middletons Lawyers, a Melbourne-based company acting on behalf of Deckers Corporation, did not return The Sunday Telegraph's calls.

*note to prevent being sued/labelled anti American - this is a slight on Deckers, not the American general public.

The article is not clear. Does the non-profit organization make Ugg Boots, or do they make sheepskin boots?

I am not familiar with Australian IP law - in the US, a copyright comes with usage, not registration. If an organization had been selling "ugg" boots for 30 years, it would be difficult for a subsequent registrant to force prior users to cease use of the name.

You probably still have more of an understandng on this law than me nbc, though from what I understand, this company over here has been producing (among other things I'd guess) the boot which is otherwise referred to as the Ugg. I dont think anyone ever put copyright on it as there are a few companies manufacturing them and all sell them as Ugg. Like a thong sandal. It's like it's shared...Weird but still. Deckers are now claiming they have ownership of the word, but it is being said that despite what Deckers think, they cannot actually copyright a word like that. It hasn't stopped them from proceeding with legal action though.

do you realize, angie dear, that the waiting list for uggs over here is until april or july? APRIL OR JULY!!!!!!! :mad:

so much for getting my classic short sand uggs while it's still cold out. :down::angry:

now back to your scheduled thread. :|

do you know how many sheep have to die in order for your stinky feet to be warm?
i dont know either...i was just wondering
:grumpy:

if you desperately want some though, i will ship you some aussie made all quality merino boots!
:up:

but dont think this is because i like you or anything
:angry:

Im just stunned that people have started wearing them again. I can remember wearing mine to swimming training back when I was 14.

I choose not to discuss how long ago that was. :|

Do Americans wear ugg boots out in public? Aren't they meant to be slippers only?

Well, off course ugg boot is a generic term. Why does the company care anyway? It's not as if anyone in Australia is going to mind whether the ugg boots are made by Deckers or by the people in Dubbo. That's like the kid named Anzac who is under scrutiny by the RSL. The whole thing is just crazy.

In my little world, I see a number of swimmers wearing them after practice. Getting out of the water during winter and into warm sheepskin boots gets a :up:

This is just another example to confirm my belief that many Americans (and I dont mean those who use interferece.com) are litigation happy. What is with the world????? surely there are better things to be doing than wasting time and money on something like this.......anyway....

I have never owned a pair of ugg boots, I guess the Sunshine Coast dosn't really get that cold for them in winter, or it is just me, but I did think that they were as quintessentially Australian as the meat pie and vegemite:wink:

Back
Top Bottom