UFOs! Do you believe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
Or have you ever had an encounter?

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Have you ever saw Noel Gallagher ?

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Subcommandante Marcos, Chiapas Mexico

Oooohh.. this is a goodie, I find it amazing just to even begin to think about this mystery.. I mean.. Of all th ethings you could imagine other life to be.. When t comes down to it, you've got no idea whatsoever aliens would look like.. and jsut anythig about them.. But seriously.. however technologically advanced they are, how ever much they can talk through telepathy... DO THEY HAVE U2???.. I think not... though I'll wonder if sometimes Bonos not from another planet.. he's too cool to be one of us.. 'Gushes at the Brim'.. hah..

I believe they are certainly a possibility. But you know what else I believe - I believe it is strange that humans assume that if intelligent life exists elsewhere in our galaxy/universe, that somehow this life must be infinitely more advanced than us. Why?

Isn't it just as likely that civilisations have developed elsewhere that are still learning, still developing, just like us.

Oh and another thing, why are aliens always portrayed as having a vaguely human-like form? The human ego at work, perhaps? After all, if they develop in another world, in a totally different environment (much weaker or much stronger gravity for instance), why would they look like us?

Unless (and this is a facinating theory), humans are decended from aliens who previously colonised earth. I don't really buy that, given our physical similarity to the higher primates already here, but interesting nonetheless.

Side note: Anyone ever watch that animated series 'The Cities of Gold' that was probably last screened sometime in the 80's. It tied in with some of these ideas, too.

------------------
"I could walk into this room
and the waves of conversation
are enough
to knock you down
with the undertow

soooo alone..."

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
Side note: Anyone ever watch that animated series 'The Cities of Gold' that was probably last screened sometime in the 80's. It tied in with some of these ideas, too.

HOLY SHIT! You legend! That was THE best series! I ask everyone about that and hardly anyone remembers. So good. A cliffhanger every episode.

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
HOLY SHIT! You legend! That was THE best series! I ask everyone about that and hardly anyone remembers. So good. A cliffhanger every episode.

Yes indeed. That show had it all. I've no idea how, where or when it was made, though.

I don't think I've ever seen/heard anything to convince me. But, if I woke up tomorrow and the headline of the newspaper said it had been proven/discovered, it wouldn't surprise me. I mean I'd pass out, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
I don't think I've ever seen/heard anything to convince me. But, if I woke up tomorrow and the headline of the newspaper said it had been proven/discovered, it wouldn't surprise me. I mean I'd pass out, but it wouldn't surprise me.

But to me, it's not a matter of believing (unless you've got some mashed potato handy) - life on other worlds either exists or it doesn't. Now as for 'UFOs', it scares me how stupid people can be about these things.

Even in my own fairly small city, the strobe lights from the local uni club have been known to freak people out (reflecting off clouds etc).

------------------
"Once again
I'm in trouble with my old friend
She is papering the windowpanes
She is putting on a smile
Living in a glasshouse..."

In an English class I had, we all did our research project on psychic/paranormal subjects, so we all learned a lot about that type of stuff. There have been so many hoaxes that it is ridiculous.

However, I suppose without hard evidence to tell me otherwise, I should keep an open mind.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

YES, I DO.

The Pyramids.

Generations of grandfathers, fathers, and sons, back in B.C. times, built the pyramids.
They say that they used pulleys.

The Great pyramid, which is nearly 500 feet high, consists of 6 and 1/2 million tons of stone and around 2 and 1/2 million individual blocks. Each individual block varies from 70 tons to 100 tons.
My Dodge Grand Caravan weighs 3800 pounds. That's not even 2 tons!

And these blocks are perfectly cut and fitted together. You can't even stick a piece of paper in between them.

Now, maybe I have a vivid imagination but,.............slaves and pulleys?
rolleyes.gif

I don't think so.
Well, in my opinion anyway.

That's just one of many "speculations" I believe.

------------------
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

P.S.-When I say "God Bless America", I mean just that,....."God Bless America."
Just like when I was kid and said it every morning.
There is no hidden, over-educated, or abstract meaning. Just "God Bless America."

[This message has been edited by whammy (edited 01-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by whammy (edited 01-08-2002).]

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:

aaah i remember that. it was great, with that sun ship and golden kondor and all. good stuff, i saw it in 2 languages.

random mysterious cities of gold site

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 01-08-2002).]

I loved what Arthur C. Clarke said on the Space Odyssey DVD - if you haven't seen an unidentified flying object, you're not very observant.
wink.gif

Whether they're aliens, I don't know, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere. But no, I don't think they're here on this planet. Scratch that, I just thought of Dennis Rodman, Bj?rk, Calista Flockhart, Jim Carrey...
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Klodomir:
I loved what Arthur C. Clarke said on the Space Odyssey DVD - if you haven't seen an unidentified flying object, you're not very observant.
wink.gif

Whether they're aliens, I don't know, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere. But no, I don't think they're here on this planet. Scratch that, I just thought of Dennis Rodman, Bj?rk, Calista Flockhart, Jim Carrey...
biggrin.gif

Bjork is her own planet - we just orbit around her...

Hmmmm - one of the most interesting topics there is. I think about often, and i've seen a few TV shows about it, read the Bermuda triangle book by Charles Berlitz (really should read it if you're into this stuff)...

I don't know. So far, i haven't see any or had any contact and i never had an encounter.

I imagine lots of those "sightings" are hoaxes, people confusing light&shadow play for UFOs etc...but there's really interesting things like the famous "Philadelphia experiment" or the Bermuda triangle mystery.

I stick to the "i'll believe it when i see it" theory when it comes to UFOs, and maybe those things just are out there and we're not supposed to know what it really is.

As for life on other planets...i believe it exists. But if it was really as advanced as it's usually portrayed, surely it would try to locate other forms of life like we are trying?
I think it may be closer to some bacteria. Plus it may be so far away we may never find it.

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-10-2002).]

Issac Asimov wrote a fantastic book which I don't have here at my apt. but that I've read that essentially proved three points:

1. Life DOES exist, or has existed at some point in the universe. Simple statistics can prove this.

2. Intelligent life probably does exist, possible far more advanced than us.

3. The probability that 1. this life form has evolved and exists at the same time as us 2. has developed space travel that allows them to deal with the problem of SOL (speed of light) and 3. they've bothered to come and visit us is very unlikely, but entirely possible.

The idea that there has been literally thousands of "visitations" and yet we haven't actually come face to face with extraterrestrials is a farce. Chances are that aliens have not visited us, and if they did, they wouldn't announce their visit to Elmer Fudd on the back roads of buttfuck nowwhere and then brainwash him and leave him sitting in his car....

That being said, I once saw something in the sky that I can't explain. It wasn't a plane, it didn't move like a plane. I don't know what it was, but it probably was my eyes playing tricks on me.

Do I believe there is life out there? Yes. Do I hope that they visit us? Yes. But have they? Probably not
frown.gif

Oh, and Whammy, my brother is an archaeologist, and I can assure you, it is entirely possible for the pyramids to be built. They used thousands and thousands of slaves to haul those stones. When you have free labor numbering in the thousands, you can do a lot.

Look at medieval cathedrals. Probably more complicated, and yet built the same way with similar tools and no one doubts who built them....they don't call it the "dark ages" for nothing. They weren't sophisticated at all, probably less sophisticated than the ancient egyptians. Everyone thinks that the egyptians were from another planet because they're got wierd writing and lots of strange gods and mummify their dead. The truth is, a lot of cultures did the same thing. Look at the Aztecs...and yes, I'm quite aware that some people think they were aliens too.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp the idea that great things can be accomplished with very little. Our society has gotten to comfortable with relying on technology. It's like the sad bastards (and whammy, I'm not calling you a sad bastard) who go out into the woods and try and climb a mountain or something and don't have the right equipment and aren't experianced and get lost or decide that they "um, actually don't really like the cold" and use their fucking cell phones to call for help. They can fuck right off and get eaten by a bear for all I care. People need to stop relying on 2-ply and heat and running water all the time because the fact is in a lot of countries they just don't have anything and are still living as they have lived for a thousand years and are doing just fine.

sorry for the rant....

[This message has been edited by popkidu2 (edited 01-10-2002).]

In regards to pyramids and cathedrals, I think it is a result of the ebb and flow of education and knowledge. The rise and fall of nations. The most recent example would be the fall of the Roman Empire, which led into about 1000 years of educational lapse, before Europe could pick up and go beyond the Romans. The same likely happened several times before, but happened so long ago that the collective memory is lost.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

no, don't believe in them

there are many things we can't understand/don't know about

I don't mind not understanding everything that goes on in this world
I do not need the idea of alien life to make these things seem more sensible to me

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by U2girl:
As for life on other planets...i believe it exists. But if it was really as advanced as it's usually portrayed, surely it would try to locate other forms of life like we are trying?
Perhaps they have already found us and are observing us. But imagine that they are humans and we are ants - they might not even be interested in talking to us because they are so much more advanced than we are.

Originally posted by Salome:
no, don't believe in them

there are many things we can't understand/don't know about

I don't mind not understanding everything that goes on in this world
I do not need the idea of alien life to make these things seem more sensible to me

Well I don't think it's a matter of believing or not believing. Alien life or, closer to home, UFOs, will continue to exist (or not exist) regardless of my thoughts on the matter.

As for all the other theories, eg the Egpytian Pyramids idea, I think that's just a load of crock. But the existence of intelligent alien life: more than possible. And given enough time and progress, probably easier to prove than God. (I do believe in God, btw).

------------------
"I was in need of help
Heading to black out
'Til someone told me 'run on in honey
Before somebody blows your goddam' brains out'
You shop-lifted as a child
I had a model's smile
You carried all my hopes
Until something broke inside..."

Originally posted by U2girl:
Hmmmm - one of the most interesting topics there is. I think about often, and i've seen a few TV shows about it, read the Bermuda triangle book by Charles Berlitz (really should read it if you're into this stuff)...

I don't know. So far, i haven't see any or had any contact and i never had an encounter.

I imagine lots of those "sightings" are hoaxes, people confusing light&shadow play for UFOs etc...but there's really interesting things like the famous "Philadelphia experiment" or the Bermuda triangle mystery.

I stick to the "i'll believe it when i see it" theory when it comes to UFOs, and maybe those things just are out there and we're not supposed to know what it really is.

I think it may be closer to some bacteria. Plus it may be so far away we may never find it.

I've read that book and many more about the Bermuda Triangle.
I like all the different explanation skeptics? give as to where the submerged buildings, walls, and roads come from. And why there is a figure of stones in a circle almost identical to stonehenge.

biggrin.gif

------------------
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

P.S.-When I say "God Bless America", I mean just that,....."God Bless America."
Just like when I was kid and said it every morning.
There is no hidden, over-educated, or abstract meaning. Just "God Bless America."

Back
Top Bottom