U2dem's breaktime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
OK I've got a question for y'all.

If you saw yourself when you were half your age, and your "half your age self" saw you, what would you think of each other?

i.e.-If you happen to be 40 and you saw your 20 year old self, what would you think of each other?

I'm 20. If I saw my 10 year old self I'd tell me to take school a little more seriously and other people less. I cared a little too much about what other people thought of me, and didn't care enough about my schoolwork, and that often got me in trouble. But generally, I'd probably like what I saw in my 10 year old self.

Now, if 10 year old me saw 20 year old me, she/I'd probably be surprised how involved in politics I am. She/I'd also be surprised that I was able to get over my shyness, and now I can approach almost anyone.

Overall I'd say I think my 10 and 20 year old selves would like each other.

Your turn!

I'm 16, so I'm seeing my 8 year old self.

Me at 16 says: Dude, chill out man. None of this matters till you get to high school. Loosen up and hang out with your friends more. Especially in middle school. Those guys who you think will bug you in middle school are actually gonna be your best friends. And practice basketball more.

Me at 8 says: Why the heck aren't you taller? Everyone keeps saying I'm going to be tall when I get older, but you're not taller! Darn.

Hm. To my 14 year old self I'd say: relax. Girls aren't worth the trouble this early. :wink:

To my 28 year old self: you need to exercise more. :lol:

My 8 year old self would also be very conservative politically because he didn't like Al Gore, so the natural choice in 1999 was to like the opposite, George Bush.

My 16 year old self would warn strongly against this.

Wow. This is a great question for me to ask myself because I turn 30 next month. It's been haunting me, and challenging me.

My half-lifed counterpart would be disappointed that I wasted her potential and in seeing the fear I developed. She would have been pleased at the sense of mischief I have that she didn't see and to know I still don't compromise much. I would have told her to not be so serious and run off and join the circus, become a gypsy or a pirate and that time goes very quickly. I liked much of her. Don't know what she would have thought of me.

My half-aged self would say, "Damn, you're old--but you've still got that spark, and you're one cool old broad who knows how to have fun."

My present self would say, "Take more risks. Do more of what you want and don't worry so much about what people think."

Great question, u2dem!

It's strange because this is the year that my life changed dramatically. My half age me spent this year being tested, I changed schools, started College classes and took the classes I'd need to finish school. Luckily I was 5'6" and really tall for my age.

Mini me would look at me now and probably say "when do you ever have fun" and Yay for getting out of the lab mini me would like us I guess.

I'm 36, so I'd be looking at my 18-year-old, college-freshman self. *cringes at thought that I'm more than twice as old as some in here*

Me at 36: First of all, stop wallowing in resentment and self-pity about how shitty the last two years were and start calling or writing your mother twice a month. You won't know this until your little brother writes you about it 2 years from now (although you should), but she cries all the time because you're keeping everyone at arm's length, and sending some of your paycheck home now and then does not make up for it. Hold on to the mostly-for-fun attitude towards dating you had in high school, because your academic goals are the most important ones right now and, frankly, you're still way too confused and reactive about too many things to be ready for a serious relationship--there's a lot more to knowing who you are than knowing who you don't want to be, and no one but you can provide that knowledge, however appealing dreams of love providing it all might be. And don't expect to have what you'll wind up doing with your degree exhaustively mapped out and academically prepared for by the time you graduate--a solid grounding in a field you enjoy is a good goal worth devoting yourself to now, but unforeseen grad school opportunities and quirks of your future marketplace will exert their own influences on the equation later; that's not 'failure,' it's becoming a Responsible Adult who rises to the occasion.

(p.s. Trust me, though, you're doing some very impressive work academically--much, much better than you think--and the effort you're making to come out of your shell socially, which I know is very tough and often seems right now like it's yielding nothing, is going to pay off in all kinds of ways later. I know how sick you are of teenage cliqueishness, and I'll grant all that's not totally behind you yet, but that sense you have that it's beginning to fade away is real, and it will continue to do so.)

Me at 18: You live where?! Well, that's pretty damn deflating...Can I see your publications list?...that's it? that's all?! Lol, look how confident and experienced you sound talking to your students...how do you ever keep a straight face? The home life, though... :up: now, there I'm impressed. Much better than I expected, to be honest. Wow, that's cool how much hiking and traveling you do. I see you never did develop much fashion sense, but I guess I can live with that. Overall it's not as...impressive as I'd hoped for, but you actually seem pretty content and even kinda...happy about it. Guess I need to ponder that one awhile...

Last edited:
yolland said:
I'm 36, so I'd be looking at my 18-year-old, college-freshman self. *cringes at thought that I'm more than twice as old as some in here*

Or maybe just me. :wink:

Sorry to everyone I make feel old here.

phillyfan26 said:

19 *represent*

I would tell my 9 year old self (I just turned 19 in August, so I'm going with 9 instead of 10) to stop being so shy, to let people see who I really am. I was always hiding behind books and homework, and I missed out on some great friendships I could've had in elementary school. I would also tell me to loosen up and quit being so judgemental to things I don't understand.

9 year old me would say, Wow, you turned out completely different at 19 than I thought you would be. She probably would be uncomfortable with how tolerant I am now, but I think overall she would be happy with who I/we are.

BonosSaint said:
My half-lifed counterpart would be disappointed that I wasted her potential and in seeing the fear I developed

Actually I would say the same exact thing. I'd like to think that my half aged self looking at my older self would be proud of how I have survived emotionally and what I have learned about myself. And of the fact that I have stayed true to myself in spite of others.

I'm 23, so my half's gonna be a bit of an awkward number, I'm looking at myself when I was 11 and a half here.

Let's see...my 11 1/2 year old self would be really surprised at how I've changed. They'd probably find it refreshing to see that I've become a lot more comfortable around people in recent years, that I'm not as reserved about expressing things, and that I have a much better idea of what I want out of life now. They would also be relieved to see that my writing abilities have considerably improved since then. Nowhere near perfect, but there's definite improvement :p. They'd also want to know how the hell I wound up going from living in Iowa to living in Colorado. But they'd also probably tell me that I need to work harder at achieving everything I want to achieve-they hear me talk about all these dreams I have, all these things I want, and would say, "So what are you waiting for? Go do it!"

My 23 year old self would tell the 11 1/2 self to enjoy that time of their life more, 'cause they're never getting it back, and appreciate everything they have in live, because that can (and will) be lost or come close to being lost in the blink of an eye. I would also tell them that as far as the personal issues regarding being made fun of and stuff go, things do improve-I, too, would tell my younger self to not be so shy and reserved, and to hell with what people think. And I'd tell them to not give up on schoolwork, or anything else, that they find too hard and frustrating (I unfortunately did that sometimes in high school, and that is something I definitely regret). Keep trying, it's better than nothing.

Think that about sums it up.

Angela

I'm 26, so I'd tell my 13 year old self it's going to be ok..

My 13 year old self wouldn't recognize the person I am today.

My 40-year-old self would reassure my 20-year-old self that her recent decision to change her major was the right thing to do after all, and that journalism would be a richly rewarding, although very stressful, career path.

I would hope that my 20-year-old self would think I'm pretty cool for a 40-year-old. :wink:

My 19 year old self would look at me and say WOW what the fuck happened to you dude?

Where is the earring? Where is your anti-establishment? Wow, you are the principal of the elementary school you attended as a child, you geek! And what the hell happened to you hair? And how the hell could you have been a registered Republican after working in Gerry Studds office?

My 19 year old self would say..... You survived your parents divorce! Your fears of marriage have been overcome. You have beautiful kids. You finished college!!!! You are not a classical musician? How did that happen? You no longer speak to your mother? Why the hell didn't I have the courage to protect myself?

To my younger self..... You will not go blind!!!! When two chicks want a threesome, and you turn it down because u loved your girlfriend, you did the right thing, she married you and you have a beautiful family. You have the power to get through the shitstorm that breaks in your way at twenty. Stop looking for women who create drama, there is something to be said for stability. Your sister and you will become friends again, and it is good. All the pressure that being a musical prodigy brings can be pushed away by playing your music for fun. You will not pick a winning presidential candidate in the next twenty years.

When you break up woth your girlfriend, and she still wants to go see Rattle and Hum with you.....do it! Damn it, that movie got you back together man, and you will marry her on August 21, 1993. That movie changes your life. And one more piece of advice, do not give up on U2 so quickly after Achtung Baby.

hehe

I'd tell my 14.5 :)wink: ) year old self to take school a bit more seriously, take more of an interest in the world around me than just what's outside my door. Take more risks, have more fun and live a little. (I was way too serious back then.)

I'd look at myself now and be proud of how far I've come, what I've accomplished and will accomplish in the future, that I want so much for myself now than I did back then and that I have no regrets (the few I have aren't really even worth regretting, really). Basically, I'd be happy I got out of my shell.

I'm 25, so I would look at myself at 12 1/2.

to my 12 1/2 self
If you think things are tough now, wait until the real shit begins. And remember, you got to love yourself first and foremost

12 1/2 self looking at 25 self
You did what?! You worked where?! And you doing what now?! All this and you still haven't done XY and Z?!
You must really suck being you. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:

Not old, just tired

While all my friends from home are starting college this year I'm still not done and have another degree to finish and one more to go.

And I'd tell mini me to keep her phone away from water driven appliances and listen to that little voice that said "that guy is a schmuck"

Last edited:
I'd tell my 14 year-old self to spend more time with my grandma, less time watching Days of Our Lives, to give up on piano sooner because I'm tone deaf and hated it all along, to ignore my academic counsellor who told me to go into science because people with BAs can't find jobs, not to hide my ambition, and to eat as many carbs as I can now before the years start catching up with me.

My 14-year-old self would be really happy about my professional accomplishments, would be pleased that I spent a lot of time travelling because it's always been a passion of mine, and would tell me to guard myself a little less closely with some people.

I knew what I wanted to do then, I knew how to get it, and now I have to continue aiming to get it.

Apart from a faux pas where I confused volts with amps I can't think of any dramatic advice to give to myself as whatever age halfway me is.

To my 11.5 year old self:

"Don't ever cave into peer pressure. Don't ever try to change any part of who you are just to fit in with certain people at school. Any friend that puts requirements('right' clothes, 'right' music, etc etc) on your friendship is not a friend. All of the kids around you, even the most confident-sounding ones, are just as insecure as you and just as much in search of their identity as you are. And of all the people you know in elementary school, middle school, and high school, you will never see or hear from most of them ever again once you finish high school. So, just be yourself. There is no such thing as cool. When people say that they want to be cool, they just mean they want to feel accepted, and comfortable in their own skin. The only way to truly do that is to figure out who YOU are, and not who other people THINK you should be. And that is the absolute truth.

Appreciate the trips you and your family take to Turkey, and understand how lucky you are that because your mother is Turkish, you get to go there every few years. You will end up cherishing the experiences you have there.

You have an innocence that I wish I still had. Don't ever take it for granted.

Don't worry about Y2K. It won't be any big deal.

In the summer of 2001, take time to really appreciate the relative innocence of the world around you. Something is going to happen in September that will change everything. I'm not going to tell you what it is, but there's no sense in you trying to process it in your 11 year old mind, much less in you worrying about it for the next six years. Just...appreciate the relative innocence of the world around you. The lack of paranoia.

Your mother is going to start teaching two brothers around your age soon. Make sure you start talking to them. They're going to be your best friends for a long time.

In about two years, you're going to think that the Quad City DJs are good. It is of utmost importance that you understand that they are really, really, really not. It will be a short-lived interest, so just...just try not to tell anyone about it while it's happening. And I know you're going to think 'I Believe I Can Fly' is a great song. It's not great. It's not awful either, but the guy that sings it is going to be a laughingstock a decade from now.

Your mother is going to ask you very soon if she can sell your teenage mutant ninja turtle toys. Don't let her. The shop that she sells them to goes out of business in the very near future and you never know what happened to your stuff except for the small amount of it you get back. So keep it all.

And always wear sunscreen. When you go to Turkey on your 2007 trip, you are going to stupidly sit in the sun for four hours without sunscreen on your first full day there, and you are going to get the SHIT burned out of you. You will barely be able to walk or use your hands for the following two days. So trust me on the sunscreen.

Read more.

Understand that the world is made of shades of gray, and that people who think in black and white are ignorant. Understand that love and understanding and thoughtfulness are some of the most powerful things a human being can offer."

To my 23 year old self:

"Dude...you haven't gotten laid yet? Why not? Because you're waiting for the right woman? Gotcha.

You seem like a good person. You definitely still have some of the same issues I'm dealing with now, maybe you always will, but I'm glad to know I turned out ok.

The fact that I eventually do grow my hair long makes me happy.

What? This internet thing I'm just now starting to get interested in? It's going to be a huge part of my life? Wow. Sweet.

Let's face it, I'm 11. My mind isn't even close to being developed enough to adequately form a substantial opinion on a 23 year old. All I know is, you're pretty cool. That's all I can say."

namkcuR said:
Don't worry about Y2K. It won't be any big deal.

In the summer of 2001, take time to really appreciate the relative innocence of the world around you. Something is going to happen in September that will change everything. I'm not going to tell you what it is, but there's no sense in you trying to process it in your 11 year old mind, much less in you worrying about it for the next six years. Just...appreciate the relative innocence of the world around you. The lack of paranoia.

Ooh. Good ones :up:. Didn't think of mentioning that stuff.

namkcuR said:
In about two years, you're going to think that the Quad City DJs are good. It is of utmost importance that you understand that they are really, really, really not. It will be a short-lived interest, so just...just try not to tell anyone about it while it's happening. And I know you're going to think 'I Believe I Can Fly' is a great song. It's not great. It's not awful either, but the guy that sings it is going to be a laughingstock a decade from now.

:lol: :applaud:. Loved this part!

U2democrat, this was indeed an excellent idea for a thread. I'm loving the responses here.

Angela

my 30 year old self to my 15 year old self:

it's all going to get better. yes, high school sucks right now, and the sneaking suspicion you have that you're going to look back on all of this and laugh is absolutely spot-on, but there's also nothing you can do about it. playing the game -- by which i mean doing the assignments you're given, not the assignments you wish you were given -- is not by definition selling out to either yourself or to whatever you think the establishment is. just get it done, and don't take it so seriously, it will actually be a lot easier. and keep working like mad in swim practice, and watch what you eat -- you know that if you were 10lbs lighter you'd be looking at your Junior National cuts in about 2 years. and stop treating every practice like a drama. just get in in do it. don't think so much. and don't worry so much, especially about how you can't get enthusiastic about wanting to hook up with, let alone date, any girl in school. trust me, it will all make way too much sense, but don't worry yourself with all that junk right now. and make an effort to be with your friends as much as you can, and lighten up when they dig at you -- that's just what 15 year old boys do, and believe it or not, those four guys across the table are going to mean so much to you when you're older and you're all in each other's weddings. speaking of which ... well, just relax. it's only high school, and you're only you, which is a great thing to be. no need to be anything more than who you are. it's all going to work out. just keep plugging away, pounce on all opportunities, and if it feels wrong, it is wrong. so don't do it. and be safe. don't do stupid things like see how fast the car can go or do 10 vodka shots at a party and always, always use a condom. yes, you will have sex one day. but be patient. it will be that much better in ... well, i won't tell you just how long, but it will be like the biggest, most refreshing glass of water you've ever had. and nothing will be the same after. and not in a Molly Ringwald coming-of-age kind of way. i mean you'll still be the same, but everyone will treat you differently.

my 15 year old self to my 30 year old self:

wow. i had no idea. i mean i did, but not really. how do you handle that? it seems like such a big deal. do people ignore you? treat you differently? i dont know if i could ever do that, i think i could just live with it and maybe get myself something on the side, but it just seems so ... embarassing or something. what? you say people don't care? that people actually like you more now because you're far more real and honest and open and approachable and i'm actually guarded and defense? well, i'll take your word for it. on another note, i'm so happy you've seen so muhc of europe and even lived there (why didn't you stay longer), and there's a very bright future of travel ahead of you. and you make TV! that sounds so cool, and come on, what else would you rather be doing until 11pm on a semi-regular basis? come on man, you're writing for a living! and people watch your shows! that's way better than being a lawyer (now that you've told me what it is lawyers actually do all day). i'm also quite pleased with your shoes and your taste in denim, and i like that we actually are as cautiously arty as we thought we were. and this Memphis guy makes sense for us, kind of different than we expected, but after getting to know him, he's seems like a total keeper. and it's also a relief to know that i'll actually be doing the things i was thinking about doing when i was alone late at night and ... well, let's not get too graphic. just make sure you watch what you eat and continue to work out, and be aware of the alcohol. it does seem to lubricate nearly all your work and social functions, which is kind of how the world works, but just be careful.

oh, and you really need to get your own place.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom