U2dem's breaktime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 43 year old self to my 21.5 year old self:

If they are touring go see U2 now. You know you want to see them. Do it now. Trust me, they are going to be huge very soon and the crowds will be too big for you. Yes, I know no one you know likes them. Go on your own. Drive to a different city. Just do it.

Buy Heyday & Starfish (the latter in a few years) by a band called The Church. They will mean even more to you and have a larger impact on your life than U2 does. Hard to believe now, but true. If you can see them live, do it -- but there will be other opportunities. If you ever get the chance to see the Go-Betweens or Jack Frost however, don't wait. Do it right away.

Once you get past your goth stage don't wear makeup. It just makes you look older and frumpy. I didn't plan on living this long, but I have, so take better care of yourself. When you get hired at GE sign up for the PPO health insurance plan -- it will save you about $1200 on your wrist. Oh btw, don't get the cortisone shot -- you had a bad reaction. Don't get too worked up about issues at work -- it doesn't really matter in the end. Remember that hospital emergency rooms are open all the time. They do not close on Sundays you idiot! :rolleyes:

My 21.5 year old self to my 43 year old self:

um yeah. Guess I should take better care of myself. (43 yo: don't give me any lip, you little shit. :grumpy: ) Hmm...should have made the top part of the tattoo a bit larger so it was more clear, but overall it's good. You haven't worked a "real" job in over 11 years? Cool!!! ...how much you make isn't so cool though. Still, this is soooo great!! :yes:

Aha! Now I see why you said the Church would have a great impact on us. I was worried for a bit with that name that we'd gone all holy roller. I just couldn't see that ever being my thing. I like the paintings...bright, sometimes bizarre. Neat little gig you have there. Now if you just put as much effort into your own work....

Not living in the country anymore, eh? That's interesting -- didn't see that coming. You don't seem overjoyed about it. Do I want to know what happened to the horses? Awww...a Blue Heeler! I love those! :yes: Happy to see cats too.

Not really what I expected. Some excellent developments, some rather discouraging.

Ha! :wink: I dunno really ... I guess I would of told my 19 year old self that I shouldn't get on that plane to come home from my first o/s trip to Ireland and just stayed there.. LOL! Basically I would of told her that apart from all the travelling that I was going to do, be prepared for your 20's to SUCK!! I think I'd just like to give her a hug and say just do whatever your heart desires and don't worry what other people think .. it would of save so much energy spent on feeling lost and confused!

I think I would of told her also to lock my younger sister in her room until she was 30, so she wouldn't have to go through so much heartache :(

I think my 19 year old self would be pretty pleased with my progress ... especially with finding a job that I actually LIKE and makes sense to me! She's a little concerned that I worry still .. but happy that I've still retained my impulsive streak & love of travel and going to concerts :) She's a bit weird-ed out that I'll be turning 40 next year ... but tells me to stop buying stuff and start saving so I can have a big birthday party in Dublin, so it won't seem so bad :wink:

I'm 25, so I'm talking to my 12.5 year old self. That was basically the age where a lot of problems started for me, so I guess I'd tell myself that everything really is gonna be okay, and I shouldn't be so hard on myself. That's probably all I'd need to say.

34 year old self to 17 year old self: Make more girlfriends and fewer boyfriends. That thing that's haunting you... let it go. You are hot! Moisturize. Mom is not the devil. Keep practicing the piano.

17 year old self to 34 year old self: So you actually did what you set out to do, eh? Cool. Your/our husband's hot! Only one kid, why? Where's Michele? I like the fact that you're still kinda goofy. But don't let all the shit get you down.

What an awesome thread!

To my 10 year old self: Australia really won't be that bad, but make more of a conscious effort not to lose your Kiwi accent. You become fond of it by the time you're 14 but by then it's already fading. And don't slip so quickly into Aussie slang your family thinks is cool but really sounds quite stupid. Ultimately, life sucks a hell of a lot more than you think it does, so try to enjoy things now. Maybe learn to ride a bike. Next year will be rough. Buy some books you like and don't be afraid to read them at uncool moments like morning tea and lunchtime at school. It would be a smart move that keeps you happier. Oh, and I know this seems blindingly obvious now, but avoid that Christianity thing. Your current attitude towards religion is the ideal one. Why deviate when you'll return to it anyway?

10 year old self to me: You're too fucking lazy. Use that brain and imagination on something useful. Achieve something like you keep saying you will. Seriously, I become you? Fuck off.

Me now to my half self: Keep that goth hair going for a few years yet, you've got years to look "normal". Shag that bloke at uni, you'll only keep wondering. Don't worry about uni actually, life doesn't go to plan and it's not a disaster, stuff happens. Don't lose that passion for music.

Half self to me now: Whaddya mean you stopped wearing eyeliner? You could exercise a bit more. Don't let anxiety about the future get you down, you coped then, you'll cope now. Glad to see you haven't lost your passions and become boringly middle class. So you really don't have the maternal gene then? And the hair colour's a bit dull in comparison!

This is a great thread!

me to me at 12.5

don't be scared of the headmistress, she was broken hearted, lonely and an alcoholic
hug your mum more, she missed you more then you'd ever know at boarding school
don't do homework... what a waste of time, no one ever checks it and that lie you were told that if you get suspended you won't go to uni was fake. You should have snuck out with everyone else!

12.5 to me
wow, you err, got a bit unfit. Go back and start swimming again, remember how much you loved it. Shut up about your fear of flying, remember how much you loved it?!
Don't spend times worrying about things, they'll sort themselves out. Scaring yourself is fruitless.
Sexy boyfriend! well done :wink:

To my 14 year old self: Those zits you have...well, it'll get better, but you'll still have them pop up from time to time. Yeah, it sucks. Don't worry about women, you'll get yours in a few years. Plus, they're not worth the trouble. Trust me, don't get into anything serious.

To my 28 year old self: You look exactly like me, with less zits. At least your not as skin and bones anymore.

coemgen said:
Wow. This is a great question for me to ask myself because I turn 30 next month. It's been haunting me, and challenging me.

It´s not bad at all. You´ll love the thrties once you get used to being old.

To my 17 y.o. self

Go see more girls and try to get Tamara and Selina to.. don´t be so shy. Your life has many good and bad adventures for you, especially in your twenties. Prepare to rough it. And don´t miss the chances you get.

To my 33 y.o. self

Hey, you should smoke less, you should not lose your wonderful positive spirituality and you should care more about yourself, not so much about the troubles of others. Ok you got a good job and are full of things to do. It´s good that you love your parents and friends, but what will you do with all the love you wanted to give when sometimes you´re so full of hate?

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

It´s not bad at all. You´ll love the thrties once you get used to being old.

:lol: True that.

To my 17 year old self:

Spend more time with the people who live in the dorm and less time with the people who live in the "village." The people in the dorm are way cooler and you might actually get a real girlfriend. Stop being "in love" with those girls you're in love with right now. I mean it! Just get over it./Slaps 17 yr old/. Now. You're wasting valuable time mooning over them. Don't worry so much. Have more fun. All those songs you love now? You'll still love them in 17 years! Oh and one very vital thing. Don't tell everyone you're the Joker at the end of your senior year. Let em wonder.

To my 34 year old self:

Wow, you like U2? Enough to travel to Japan to see them in concert? I thought I hated U2! I liked the dreads! I wish you could have kept them longer. I can't believe you actually got married! I feel like I"m never gonna have a date (I know, I know I'm wasting too much time on the wrong girls. You told me already :rolleyes: )You're pretty cool and living a much more exciting life than I expected. Keep writing! As much as you love it, you should have finished that novel by now!

Back
Top Bottom