U2Bama's Vegetarian Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Rono:
Yes, maybe you can translate " kistkalveren " for me.
Yes, calves raised in veal crates. I also get uncomfortable associations when I hear the word "veal".
frown.gif

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
actually, all that's done to produce veal is to reduce the intake of iron, it has nothing to do with putting them in a small box (which, actually would be counter-productive because the animal would in all likelihood be very unhealthy, but that's just speculation on my part, of course)
I wish that were true, but you're wrong. Try doing a search on "veal crates" on any search engine, or look here: http://www.peta.org/mc/facts/fsveg4.html

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
We should declare war on the "evil" animals that everyone hates anyway. We could go on a big hunt and eat a lot of snakes, badgers, gators, sharks, and big hairy tarantulas.
I agree wholeheartedly! And there's this big mean dog down the street, that I have my eye on! *sharpening meat cleaver*

"Their muscles ache for freedom and exercise. They long for maternal care."

Their muscles ache for freedom?? Did this information come from calf interviews? It's statements like this (along with their ridiculous "milk sucks" campaign) that keep PETA from swaying my opinion on things. If they would present the facts in a reasonable manner, I would probably agree with them once in a while. But as it stands, I'm so skeptical of everything they say.

If you're interested in reading about this topic from a more science-based source, check out: http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/

or for veal issues in particular: http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/pubs/97issues.htm#Issue14

[This message has been edited by Spiral_Staircase (edited 12-12-2001).]

Thanks Spiral, for the links.

I think you should read the veal one. You can read things like US guidelines a individyal stall should be 24 x65 inch but the industry recomends 26/30 x 72 inch. the calf can stand or lie in natural, sternal positions and can take several steps forwart and backward.

I think this is all about a optimal production in a unhealty situation.

Just read it yourself.

I LOVE veal, veal is truly a gorgeous and delicious meat - but I haven't eaten it in three years because it IS immoral the way they treat them. No, I won't give a long rant about how their 'muscles ache for freedom', its a simple scientific explanation - they are contained in small spaces and kept from moving around so that their tissue and flesh is maintained in a softer texture, hence they're so yummy. Its as bad as battery chickens, if not worse.

Ant.

Since no thread is complete without a Simpsons snippet:

(at the Itchy and Scratchy Land diner)

Bart: I'll have a Brain Burger with extra pus, please.
Marge: Bart!
Homer: Eyeball stew.
Marge: Homer! We just got here and already I'm mortified beyond belief by your embarrassing behavior.
Bart: I was just ordering a cheeseburger, Mom. They have violent names for everything here.
Marge: Oh, I see. All right...hmm...I'll have the Baby Guts.
Waiter: Lady, you disgust me. Eew.
Lisa: Mom, that's veal.

Originally posted by speedracer:
Since no thread is complete without a Simpsons snippet:

(at the Itchy and Scratchy Land diner)

Bart: I'll have a Brain Burger with extra pus, please.
Marge: Bart!
Homer: Eyeball stew.
Marge: Homer! We just got here and already I'm mortified beyond belief by your embarrassing behavior.
Bart: I was just ordering a cheeseburger, Mom. They have violent names for everything here.
Marge: Oh, I see. All right...hmm...I'll have the Baby Guts.
Waiter: Lady, you disgust me. Eew.
Lisa: Mom, that's veal.

LOL!
So, what's your point?

Ant.

Sorry about the PETA link. I didn't have time to search for a more unbiased one, and yes, I do think they're a bunch of tossers in many ways, but I know you're all capable of finding the relevant info yourselves.

Back
Top Bottom