U2: At the End of the World, again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
So, i was reading Bill Flanagan's book recently and i was suprised at a few things.
U2 was embarking on a huge world tour, Bush's America was involved in fighting a war in Iraq, the middle-east was torn, and Bono was often calling the white house....has anything really changed?

Yeah, the times have changed. Bono now goes inside the White House to meet the President and his Administration members, goes to Congress to lobby, and has a plethora of awards and honors for community service and humanitarian work. ZooTV was an artistic effort, a tour de force for U2, and now Bono has his humanitarian work going for him as well.

ok, i know that bono can now go inside the white house, bono no more dresses up like "gigantic" rock in the form of the devil...but really has much changed? Recession, high gas prices, wars in the middle-east, genocide in an African country, the wars beemed into our lives via television....nothing has changed (please don't mention small changes like Arseno Hall is no longer the cool late-night host)

I remember when my peers who sigh in history classes and ask, "Why do we have to learn this? These people are dead." To which my teachers often responded, "We study history so that we can learn from the mistakes of the past." While I love history, I must say that my teachers were completely wrong. No amount of history studying has ever resulting in humans not doing the same thing over and over again. The British empire certainly didn't learn anything from the collapse of the roman empire. And, it certainly can be argued that America does not seem to have learned anything from the british either. Eventually, like Rome and Britain, America will become over-extended and experience a fall.

Back
Top Bottom