U.S. President: "Born in the USA" or "Comin' to America"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
In light of the recent discussion in another thread about whether or not a certain beguiling Irish rock star should be allowed to be our President (it started off jokingly, but I wonder if some people aren't serious ;)), I decided to start this thread.

My fellow Americans (and international Interferencers too, if your country has such laws), do you think our President and Vice-President should have to be native citizens, or should naturalized citizens be permissible as well? I'm not sure if I have a position on this yet, and I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.

no

aren't there enough US-born citizens in the country already to choose from? sorry, Schwarzenegger will have to settle for being Governor (in all seriousness, the laws that have been put in place are there for legitimate reasons)

Article II, Section 1.5 of the U.S. Constitution stipulates three qualifications for elegibility:

- must be at least 35 years old
- must be a natural-born citizen
- must be a resident for at least 14 years

(I believe that a felon is disqualified as well, but that's a different discussion.)

The first qualification is intended to help ensure that the President is mature enough to fill the office.

The second and third qualifications are to help ensure that this singularly important office is not filled by somebody whose primary interests lie in an another country.

Certainly, the qualifications don't perfectly ensure what is intended; the case can easily be made that the lying, lecherous crap-weasel that was President between the elder Bush and his son was not mature enough for the job. And, as John Walker Lindh demonstrated, not every natural-born citizen is faithful to his country. But they DO make a minimum effort to ensure that the electoral college doesn't make a tremendous mistake. And at the same time, the requirements do not disqualify a large number of people.

I believe the benefits of FURTHER loosening the requirements to those born abroad and those under age 35 do not outweigh the risks.

I say, keep the rules as they are.

yeah, as much as i would like to see a few international people at least be able to run for president, i know there's a few i wouldn't like to see in office, and if the rules weren't there, i'm sure they'd be there - in the oval office, behind the desk.

KhanadaRhodes said:
yeah, as much as i would like to see a few international people at least be able to run for president, i know there's a few i wouldn't like to see in office, and if the rules weren't there, i'm sure they'd be there - in the oval office, behind the desk.

Fortunately, there are no such restrictions on presidential interns, so while only some of us can aspire to be behind the desk in the Oval Office, anyone can be under the desk.

it doesn't really matter where you from but what person are you , i'm a legal immigrant in the u.s . so what , skills and true feelings that's what matter , this country goes cause of that stuff . it's unique

Achtung Bubba said:

Fortunately, there are no such restrictions on presidential interns, so while only some of us can aspire to be behind the desk in the Oval Office, anyone can be under the desk.

Achtung Bubba said:
the case can easily be made that the lying, lecherous crap-weasel that was President between the elder Bush and his son

anyone can be under the desk

What? Is my statement inaccurate? Must the President only get hummers from native-born interns?

Bubba,

What?s up with you? Why the obsession with Bill Clinton?s penis?

It is very bizarre. Are you well?

Your posts alternate between flag waving and penis waving.

Have you considered counseling? Perhaps penis aversion therapy would help.

Hi Bias said:
Bubba,

What?s up with you? Why the obsession with Bill Clinton?s penis?

It is very bizarre. Are you well?

Your posts alternate between flag waving and penis waving.

Have you considered counseling? Perhaps penis aversion therapy would help.

So two or three comments within this single thread indicate an obsession with Bill Clinton's penis? And these few posts are equivalent to my NUMEROUS "flag-waving" posts? And the hundreds of posts about religion count for nothing?

"It is very bizarre." No, your inability to count is bizarre - depending, naturally, on the definition of "is."

At any rate, I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

And we all know what interns do with cigars.

By the way...

This marks your 12th post on this forum... and the third involving me:

Here's the first, and the the second.

TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT of your posts have either mentioned me or been a reply to one of my posts.

So, who's the obsessive one?

Let it go, Hi Bias. Beyond the fact that these internet relationships rarely work, I am spoken for - and I'm very much out of your league.

ah don't worry everyone , Achtung bubba is just going nuts and psycho about third episode of Star Wars to come , that's all . :evil: :evil:

While I do agree that a US President should be a citizen of the country, I don't think that being born on foreign soil should disqualify you from getting elected. Example: Madeline Albright. She was born overseas, yet lived the majority of her life on US soil. She's more or less a citizen of the US, yet because of a technicality she's denied the right.

People like Bono, who have jumped all over the globe are not included in this group of people that I speak of. Bono is more in touch with the people of Ireland and his interests lie elsewhere instead of in America. I think he'd do fine in the role, but for every good-hearted political leader there are dozens who would take the role and shove it up our asses.

With these factors in mind I'd prefer seeing a the second requirment thrown out. That's the one dealing the natural born citizen rule. I would then suggest lengthing the 3rd rule: "must be a resident for 14 years" to about 25 years. This would allow foriegn-born residents the oppurtunity to be elected, while keeping the status of the office at a higher level than say, governor or congressman, etc.

Achtung Bubba said:

lying, lecherous crap-weasel

Did you get this from the Shakespearean Insult Server? (I think I remember asking you this before...)

Achtung Bubba said:

So's two o' dree comments widin dis raple dread indicate an obsession wid Bill Clinton's penis? And dese few posts is equivalent t'my NUMEROUS "flag-wavin'" posts? And da damn hundreds uh posts about religion count fo' nodin'? "It be very bizarre." No, yo' inability t'count be bizarre - dependin', naturally, on de definishun uh "is." At any rate, ah' dink youse barkin' down de wrong tree. As Freud said, sometimes some cigar be plum a cigar. Ah be baaad... And we all know whut interns do wid cigars. So, who's de obsessive one? Let it go, 'Sup, dude Bias. Beyond da damn fact dat dese internet relashunships rarely wo'k, ah' am rapped fo' - and I'm real much out uh yo' league.

U2002revolution! said:
i think a U.S. pres. should be U.S. naturally born :)lol:, that sounded weird but you know what i mean)
Yep, no C-sections!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom