U.S, France find common ground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I knew it was a matter of time before this sort of thing happened. The people who announced the death of the U.S.-France alliance remind me a little bit of that quote attributed to Freud that "rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated".

France Calls for Suspension of Iraqi Sanctions

Updated 1:12 PM ET April 22, 2003

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - In a surprise move, France on Tuesday backed an immediate suspension of U.N. sanctions against Iraq, even before U.N. weapons inspectors had certified the country had no more weapons of mass destruction.

But France's U.N. ambassador, Jean-Marc de la Sabliere, said the U.N. oil-for-food program, which collects Iraq's oil revenues, should be kept under U.N. control for the time being but adjusted to Iraq's current needs.

In the main, he said, financial and trade sanctions needed to be suspended to enable the country to get back on its feet.

De la Sabliere's position, disclosed in closed Security Council consultations and then told to reporters, came closer to that of the United States than Russia. Both France and Russia had opposed the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

"We could suspend the sanctions and adjust the oil-for-food (program) with an idea of its phasing out," de la Sabliere said. A final lifting of sanctions would depend on a report by weapons inspectors, he added.

The council met to hear a report from chief U.N. weapons inspector Hans Blix, who said his teams were ready to return to Iraq within two weeks, if necessary, to verify any remaining dangerous weapons the U.S. military has found.

Russia's U.N. Ambassador Sergei Lavrov made it clear that Security Council resolutions tie the lifting or suspension of sanctions to verification by inspectors that Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction, known by diplomats as WMDs.

"We are not at all opposing lifting of sanctions. What we are insisting on is that Security Council resolutions must be implemented," Lavrov told reporters.

"We all want to know that there are no WMDs in Iraq, and the only way to verify it is to have inspectors in Iraq and to see for themselves and to report back to the Security Council. As soon as they deliver their report the sanctions could be lifted," he said.

But the United States is cool to Blix, who will retire on June 1, and instead is recruiting former U.N. inspectors from the United States, Britain and Australia to verify any discovery of banned weapons.

The Bush administration argues the sanctions system, first imposed after Iraq's troops invaded Kuwait in 1990, was set up to restrain a government that no longer exists.

well those are good points across the board.

i know the us feels they should have a say as to the nationality of the inspectors they send in, but i strongly recommend that if they are to be trusted, they should send in representatives from a number of countries - including perhaps germany and france.

I am chiking as I say this. I think France is right. If we truly believe that Resolution 1441 gave us the authority to take action in Iraq, then we are still working through the UN. If we want to continue to show that we are working through the UN we should allow inspectors to work in conjuntion with our troops. It would definitely help us to have outside verification that we did not plant them ect. The longer the UN is not allowed in, the longer it seems we have to set Iraq up.

Just one persons humble opinion.

Unfortunately, the USA does not want to reconcile just yet. From the BBC Website :

US signals action against France

American Secretary of State Colin Powell has said France will suffer consequences for having opposed the US over the war with Iraq.
He said the US would be reviewing all aspects of its relations with France in light of its decision to veto any UN Security Council resolution authorising war against Iraq.

Details of Mr Powell's comments to an American TV programme emerged after France's UN ambassador - in an unexpected move - proposed the immediate suspension of sanctions against Iraq.

Washington has been pressing for sanctions to be lifted now that US-led forces have ousted Saddam Hussein.

Responding to Mr Powell's remarks, French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin said France would continue to defend international law.

Out in the cold

"It's over and we have to take a look at the relationship," Mr Powell said of ties with France, according to a transcript of an interview on the Charlie Rose Show provided by the state department.

"We have to look at all aspects of our relationship with France in light of this."

Asked if there were consequences for having opposed the US, Mr Powell replied "yes" but did not elaborate.

Senior US officials are reported to have debated tough measures against France at a high-level meeting on Monday.

One US official was quoted as saying: "They are trying to find ways to create alternative mechanisms for dealing with the French - or rather without them - and not just at Nato, but more broadly."

US diplomats had earlier welcomed France's initiative on sanctions, described by the BBC's UN correspondent Greg Barrow as a significant shift in its position.

The UN embargo was imposed in August 1990, shortly after Iraq invaded Kuwait, and dismantling it will pave the way for Iraq to sell oil to help pay for post-war reconstruction.

The sanctions and subsequent war have devastated Iraq's economy and infrastructure.

Last week, the US president called for sanctions to be lifted quickly.

US 'looking forward'

The French ambassador, Jean-Marc de la Sabliere, said the sanctions issue was linked by past Security Council resolutions to a certification of Iraqi disarmament.

"So meanwhile, we could suspend the sanctions and adjust the oil-for-food [programme] with an idea of its phasing out," he told reporters, following a briefing by UN chief weapons inspector Hans Blix.

Under the oil-for-food programme - launched in December 1996, suspended on the eve of war but now resumed - the UN manages the use of funds generated by limited Iraqi oil sales to pay for imports of humanitarian goods.

The weapons inspectors were withdrawn from Iraq shortly before the US and UK launched the war to oust Saddam Hussein - a war condemned by France, Germany and Russia.

France has previously insisted that UN inspectors alone had the authority to hunt for weapons of mass destruction (WMD).

But on Tuesday, Mr de la Sabliere spoke of the need for new arrangements so that UN inspectors could work alongside US forces to finish the job of certifying whether Iraq is free of banned weapons.

US ambassador John Negroponte reacted coolly, saying the US and UK had assumed responsibility for disarming Iraq.

And White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said: "We are looking forward, not backwards."

Since the war the US has deployed its own teams to look for banned weapons, which it cited as the key reason for launching war, but so far there are no reports of any being found.

Many nations on the Security Council say UN inspectors should be the ones to verify any new discoveries, and on Tuesday Mr Blix presented a case for sending his teams back to Iraq.

It seems like you do get punished for not agreeing with the USA. And suddenly UN resolutions are not relevant anymore... :|

C ya!

Marty

Dreadsox said:
I am chiking as I say this. I think France is right. If we truly believe that Resolution 1441 gave us the authority to take action in Iraq, then we are still working through the UN. If we want to continue to show that we are working through the UN we should allow inspectors to work in conjuntion with our troops. It would definitely help us to have outside verification that we did not plant them ect. The longer the UN is not allowed in, the longer it seems we have to set Iraq up.

Good point Dreadsox, but i'm affraid the US governemnt knew exactly that they violated UN rules and they don't give a *** about the UN, if the UN says yes it's nice, but the current government never respected the United Nations

Klaus

I totally agree with you(may be a first) except for the "chiking" part, but the I believe the US has contradicted itself quite a bit with their actions in the last year of so. None of this surprises me.

I totally agree with you(may be a first) except for the "chiking" part, but I believe the US has contradicted itself quite a bit with their actions in the last year of so. None of this surprises me.

Popmartijn said:
Unfortunately, the USA does not want to reconcile just yet.
It seems like you do get punished for not agreeing with the USA. And suddenly UN resolutions are not relevant anymore... :|

C ya!

Marty

I saw this on my ISP's headlines. I don't like this at all. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :scream: :scream:

Dreadsox said:

It might be just your opinion, Dreadsox, but I agree with you. :) I think that there is so much mistrust of the United States right now (and we can debate forever whether that's misplaced or justified mistrust, but it clearly does exist) that if they were to find chemical/biological weapons, many people would be extremely suspicious of them. In any case, the UN wanted use of UN inspectors, not US inspectors so if the US is still claiming its attack on Iraq was justified under the UN, then surely it needs to abide by what the UN demanded, which is UN weapons inspectors.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

I think that there is so much mistrust of the United States right now (and we can debate forever whether that's misplaced or justified mistrust, but it clearly does exist)

This is why I wish to heck U.S. officials would stop making belligerent remarks about France to the press. :mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :scream: :scream:

i love it how the rest of the world is supposed to do as the bad dog says, unless they want to get bit in the ass.

which reminds me, i should be writing a ballad about a bad dog right about now...

Back
Top Bottom