U.S. Feds: Remove These Foods/Drinks from all Schools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canadiens1160 said:
The problem of childhood obesity should be attacked at the community level, whether its investment in more wide-ranging after school sports programs, alternative gym classes providing non-competitive physical activity, and pushing good nutrition onto neglectful parents.
Well, schools are 'the community level,' or at least one arena of it. But how would you enforce something like 'pushing good nutrition onto neglectful parents'? I agree that what kids have access to during school hours is only one part of the picture and not a particularly large part at that, but I also don't see where it's harmful, and to a limited extent I do think it could help. While home-based habits are unquestionably a larger influence, still, making a habit of spending your pocket money--and setting aside whether that's how your parents, whose money it probably is, intended you to spend it--on 'a la carte' fast-food items or vending machine chips-and-cookie combos while at school can slide into longterm regular cravings for those foods, even if your parents ARE diligent about limiting those things to occasional treats at home. It's not a question of not realizing that that way of eating "isn't very good for you"--we all know perfectly well that it isn't, but just like with smoking, once you let unwise eating habits get established during a phase of bad judgment (and, again as with smoking, that's much likelier to happen before your twenties than it is later in life), it can be very difficult to get out of them.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think high school students should be given the credit and responsibility to police their own food choices-they can easily get to a store nearby their school and get junk anyway if they have a car or their friends do.

Exactly.

I think at the elementary and middle school levels, kids would abuse the selling of soda (I know I would have), when they don't really understand the consequences.

In high school, we do.

If soda was sold, I'd buy it occassionally.

If schools are going to cut junk food and remove vending machines or not allow soda, I would assume that at the same time they are going to increase PE in their curriculum, otherwise it would seem pretty hypocritical...

What states require PE? I know PA does, and I think we watched a video in health once that said it's one of the few left that requires it.

I think schools just don't have the money anymore for PE-it seems even the wealthy communities would rather spend the money on other things. It does seem hypocritical.

Well, from what I know, many schools cancelled PE in order to put that funding into funding for the standardized testing that has recently been emphasized.

In summary, kids are becoming less healthy and more academically average.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think schools just don't have the money anymore for PE-it seems even the wealthy communities would rather spend the money on other things. It does seem hypocritical.

I honestly remember dozens of times in elementary school where the teacher would "punish" the class for misbehaving by cancelling gym that week. There's a bright idea.

phillyfan26 said:
Well, from what I know, many schools cancelled PE in order to put that funding into funding for the standardized testing that has recently been emphasized.

In summary, kids are becoming less healthy and more academically average.

No fat child left behind...:|

My understanding is that it's at least as much a time question (ever-expanding academic curriculum requirements, 'elective squeeze') as it is a funding question. We'd really need someone who's up-to-the-minute on nationwide legislative and policy implementation trends in this regard though, and I'm not sure we have that in here...?

New York Times, October 20, 2007
The percentage of districts that require elementary schools to teach physical education increased, to 93% last year from 83% in 2000. But just 4% of elementary schools, 8% of middle schools and 2% of high schools provided physical education each school day, as is recommended by the disease control agency. One-fifth of schools did not require physical education at all.

USA Today, August 23, 2006
Government research shows that the percentage of high school students enrolled in daily physical education decreased from about 42% in 1991 to 33% in 2005. Most states introduced legislation this year and in 2005 to toughen up PE requirements.

To figure out whether higher PE time requirements are effective, economist John Cawley of Cornell University and colleagues analyzed data on 37,000 teens in grades nine through 12 from government surveys in 1999, 2001 and 2003. The economists did calculations on students' height, weight and amount of time in gym classes and compared the data with states' PE requirements. They found that when states required an extra year of PE for high school students, which is roughly 200 more minutes a week of physical education:
• Male students said they spent another 7.6 minutes a week exercising or playing sports in gym class.
• Female students spent an extra eight minutes and six seconds a week doing exercise in PE.

There may be several reasons for this small increase in time, Cawley says. "Some schools are ignoring the laws and not meeting the state requirements." And some teachers are not keeping children moving during class time, he says. His research also showed that the amount of time states required for physical education classes didn't seem to have an effect on teens' weight or risk of obesity.

He says another study showed that 26% of schools in the country fail to comply with state regulations for PE, and research on elementary school students in a county in Texas showed that the children did moderate to vigorous activity for 3.4 minutes of a 40-minute class. About two-thirds of class time was spent in sedentary activity; one-quarter of the time was spent doing minimal activity. "The real risk here is that states may increase the time requirements, think they've addressed the problem of childhood obesity and may move on to other priorities," says Cawley, whose paper is in the fall issue of Education Next.
PTA.org, undated
Judith Young, executive director of National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE), the nation's largest organization for physical education teachers, maintains that schools cut gym classes for lack of funding, but more often cuts result from time constraints that develop with the addition of new curriculum. "Standards-based reform has been detrimental to physical education," said Young.

Young said it troubles her to see gym classes eliminated, especially when physical education curriculum is getting better. Historically, she explained, physical education programs did a poor job of promoting life-long physical activity, and focused almost exclusively on a handful of competitive sports, such as basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball, and baseball. According to a November 2000 report to the president from the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Secretary of Education, kids need to be taught less competitive activities—such as bicycling, running, and swimming—because they're more likely to carry these activities into their adult lives.

As gym classes get elbowed out of the curriculum in favor of other subjects, recess, in many school districts, is also in jeopardy. An estimated 40% of U.S. school districts either have eliminated recess or are considering eliminating it, said Rhonda Clements, president for the American Association of the Child's Right to Play. Some school districts cite safety and supervision issues as reasons for eliminating recess, explained Clements. But more likely, she said, recess is chucked in favor of an expanded curriculum.

I'm not sure how the spread of requirements from one state to the next varies with education level (elementary, middle, high). Also, I suppose a generalized requirement to "have" PE isn't necessarily the same as specifying how much time needs to be devoted to it, what kinds of activities satisfy the requirement etc.

It's a little hard to compare this to regulating what's available to eat in schools, though--for obvious reasons, providing a lunch period is an absolute non-negotiable in a way that providing an organized exercise period isn't.

I'm not sure that regular PE classes at the high school level were ever particularly common. But then again, the average high school student 30 years ago was probably getting more exercise outside of school than today's.

phillyfan26 said:
What states require PE? I know PA does, and I think we watched a video in health once that said it's one of the few left that requires it.

No idea, I went to a private school so at least from experience I am disconnected as far as state standards. PE was a requirement for me, including high school and college. Yes, I was required to take three phys ed classes in order to graduate college (I took weight lifting, dance I and dance II). In elementary school and middle school I think we had PE 1-3 times a week. During recess, we were required to be outside unless it was too rainy or the windchill got below -20F (which happened maybe once or twice ever).

The problem, to me, is that PE is a drag on GPA. If it wasn't required, I wouldn't be taking it right now, because it's a lower credit course since it's available to everyone. It hurts my GPA by being there. With everyone so college-minded, no one in their right mind would take PE voluntarily, when you could be taking an elective with more value, or (in most cases) no elective at all.

phillyfan26 said:
The problem, to me, is that PE is a drag on GPA. If it wasn't required, I wouldn't be taking it right now, because it's a lower credit course since it's available to everyone. It hurts my GPA by being there. With everyone so college-minded, no one in their right mind would take PE voluntarily, when you could be taking an elective with more value, or (in most cases) no elective at all.

The notion of phys ed. counting towards or hurting a GPA is ludacrous. It should be pass fail, and a requirement for everybody. Simple as that.

randhail said:

The notion of phys ed. counting towards or hurting a GPA is ludacrous. It should be pass fail, and a requirement for everybody. Simple as that.

I agree. But then I felt the same way about a number of other requirements.

We were required to take PE in 9th and 10th grade but after that it was optional. I can't even imagine the university requiring it and I've never heard of that anywhere in this country, except in obvious PE education programs or related disciplines. I think if we were forced into a PE class at that point, there would have been a revolt. I surely wasn't going to PAY substantial amounts of money for a PE class at an undergrad level, nevermind more than 1.

How many of you have gym memberships fully covered by employers?

anitram said:
How many of you have gym memberships fully covered by employers?
As university faculty I'm eligible for reduced-rate membership at our campus athletic facilities; it's a couple hundred bucks per year (free for students).

In general, I think gym memberships "fully covered" by employers are very rare in the US; there are probably a small number of large corporations that offer it as a benefit, though.

I get a fully paid membership at a gym of my choice (from a list of 4 - all very good or high end) through the firm, but then this is also a taxable benefit which I will have to claim.

I know a few firms around here have also started giving out allowances in lieu of gym memberships, so that employees who would prefer to do something like yoga or rock climbing or buy a road bike can do so as well.

yolland said:

As university faculty I'm eligible for reduced-rate membership at our campus athletic facilities; it's a couple hundred bucks per year (free for students).

Ditto, but it's totally free for me (FTE staff). Right now I don't go because we are rebuilding our athletic facility. The weight room and gym are open, but you'd have to go before the buttcrack of dawn to get on the equipment without pre-signing up for it. If I'm still around when the new facility opens, I will use it.

We also have a program called Health By Choice that faculty and staff can do through our health insurance. This year I get $100 cash back just for getting my annual exam and tests, doing agility with my dog, and walking my dogs. We recently hired a "Director of Campus Wellness" who has developed programs for faculty and staff, not just students. For example, before Thanksgiving we could do this thing where we get weighed and put $10 in a pot. If you weigh the same after new year's, you get $10 back. If you weigh less, you get more; if you weigh more, you get less. We also have a "pedometer challenge" where you always wear a pedometer and are on a team with other faculty and staff. My boss wants me on his team b/c I walk dogs and often walk home from work, lol.

yolland said:
Dread can correct me if I'm wrong here, but actually, I think it's the case that as of now, 90%+ of the country's school districts DO have Phys Ed requirements--it's more that they're poorly enforced, and with the expansion of the academic curriculum in recent years, schools have found it harder and harder to make time for gym classes.

Yeah, hopefully we can get some clarification on exact numbers of how many places still require gym class and whatnot. But what you say is right-I definitely agree that that's part of the problem.

yolland said:
I think better nutrition and better exercise are complementary goals, though, and I doubt that many people who support restricting junk food in schools are opposed in principle to increasing PE time. Adressing one doesn't cancel out the importance of addressing the other.

I fully agree with you on this-if I came off saying different in my post, I apologize, should've clarified that better.

yolland said:
The difference is that when you're an adult monitoring your own diet, or a parent monitoring your child's diet, the entire budget for that food is coming out of your own individual pocket, and the effort of putting it on the table is yours alone as well. You can, of course, expand that to your children's school lunches by having them bring their own--and to judge from the article at least, the proposed legislation would have no effect on what home-packed lunches might include. But traditionally, it's been seen as both valuable and necessary for schools themselves to offer prepared meals to students--not for the purpose of establishing an in-school 'marketplace' where students can buy whatever they feel like eating, but to help ensure their nourishment, especially for children whose parents might be on tight food budgets, or negligent about providing meals themselves. It's a function of the school in its capacity as provider of social goods, drawing on funds supplied by the total community it serves.

This is true. And I have no problem with making sure the prepared foods are as healthy as possible. Hardened rolls, expired milk, finding cockroaches in the cafeteria...and people wonder why I tried to avoid the prepared lunches as much as possible at my school.

I just feel that taking away the vending machines and things of that nature isn't really any better a solution to the problem.

yolland said:
I do agree that the most important influences are those that come from home. If parents are routinely letting their kids eat junk food and sit around on their butts all day when not in school, then for schools to ban sales of junk food and require more PE is unlikely to adequately lay the foundation for a lifetime of good eating and exercise habits. But again, I don't think that's a good reason for schools to not prioritize what's in the longterm best interests of public health--whether that takes the form of promoting better nutrition, or promoting more exercise; and whether every individual student and parent are happy about it or not.

Prioritizing things is fine, and the more education kids get about being healthy, the better. Just that, again, I don't see how flat out banning junk food will help the problem. Basically, Canadiens1160 said everything much better than I did.

And yes, parents need to do their job. Chocolate as part of a diet plan for adults really isn't any healthier, but too many adults are so willing to buy into that sort of thing, and then they turn around and tell their kids junk food is bad, and it doesn't make any sense.

MrsSpringsteen said:
If schools can ban hugging I don't see why banning certain foods and soda is over the line either. Hugs are much healthier.

I think hug bans are just as ludicrous as banning certain foods and drinks. I'm not getting this new idea where it's suddenly a bad thing if you give a friend a quick hug at school...:scratch:.

That's interesting about those who can't stand regular pop now. About the only diet pop I can handle is diet Dr. Pepper, and really, if you're addicted to diet pop, I can't imagine that's a whole lot better an alternative to the regular drink. What kills me is the caffiene-free diet drinks. So...you're basically drinking colored water, then? Yum.

Also, amen to randhail-keep gym a pass/fail subject only. Yes.

Angela

Childhood obesity is a problem. When I was in school, we drank milk. Milk is my favorite drink. I like Coke, but I wasn't allowed to drink that when I was a kid because of the caffeine.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Also, amen to randhail-keep gym a pass/fail subject only. Yes.

I agree, although our high school and college gym/PE requirements were more than just exercise. We had to look at studies on health and nutrition, safety, etc and were tested on that. The actual physical stuff pretty much WAS pass/fail. You show up and play/work out, you get the points. I don't have a problem with the other parts being graded though. For example, when you are learning first aid or CPR, you really DO have to know it correctly!

I don't know-on the other hand I don't want young girls afraid to eat junk food once in a while because they'll get "fat" like Jennifer Love Hewitt is in her bikini. That is seriously messed up.

SPARTANBURG, South Carolina (CNN) — Fred Thompson wants the government to keep its hands off your dinner plate.

That's what he told a questioner Tuesday in South Carolina, anyway.

Standing about 15 feet away from a mouth-watering steam tray buffet loaded with fried chicken, creamed corn and macaroni and cheese at Wade's Southern Cooking in Spartanburg, Thompson dismissed the idea that preventative care and wellness education should be central features of a government's health care system.

"I'm telling you, I don’t think that it’s the primary responsibility of the federal government to tell you what to eat," Thompson said to applause when asked if his health care plan included any details on preventative care, a priority for Democratic candidates.

"The fact of the matter is we got an awful lot of knowledge,” said the former Tennessee senator. “Sometimes we don’t have a whole lot of will power, and I don’t know of any government program that's going to instill that."

Thompson, ever a fan of small government, said healthy living should be the responsibilities of families first.

"We shouldn’t be looking at the federal government in Washington first and working our way down, it ought to be just the other way around. With that, or whether you're talking about education, there's some things the federal government can't do," said Thompson.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't know-on the other hand I don't want young girls afraid to eat junk food once in a while because they'll get "fat" like Jennifer Love Hewitt is in her bikini. That is seriously messed up.

That was such a ridiculous statement by that magazine.
And the next day they are probably writing an article bemoaning how the pressure on teenagers with today's "beauty standards" is causing a rise in bulimia and anorexia. :mad:

She really has a wonderful body and what some people define as "fat around the hips" is just terrible.

Vincent Vega said:

That was such a ridiculous statement by that magazine.
And the next day they are probably writing an article bemoaning how the pressure on teenagers with today's "beauty standards" is causing a rise in bulimia and anorexia. :mad:

She really has a wonderful body and what some people define as "fat around the hips" is just terrible.

Nice comments :) thank you. It doesn't just affect teenage girls either, speaking for myself only it affects me and I am not a teenager. At least I don't have to have my body scrutinized and picked apart and made fun of online and in magazines. I could never deal with that. She was on the beach with her boyfriend celebrating her engagement.

If we are going to emphasize this "no junk food" with kids, we also need to foster and maintain a proper attitude about weight and body image from a very early age. It must be kept in a certain perspective.

"Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

By the way, I hate diet pop . Tastes like crap."

Diet drinks are like crack cocaine, drink one and you wanna another.
The body is never satisfied.

And if you have the time to search diet drinks and artificial sweetners...you may find some reasons why we have this obesity problem today.

On every media I heard a story today on America's obesity problem they stated that it began in the late 70s. That is the same time that soda companies and a host of other food companies switched from pure cane sugar (a more expensive item at the time) to high fructose corn syrup.

HFTCS is still cheaper than dirt and is in many food products, including some those healthy granola bars.

I think HFTCS and the lack of physical activity are the two major reasons why we have this problem.

the iron horse said:

Diet drinks are like crack cocaine, drink one and you wanna another.
The body is never satisfied.

Not me, I've only had one diet drink and that was enough for me...

the iron horse said:

And if you have the time to search diet drinks and artificial sweetners...you may find some reasons why we have this obesity problem today.

So diet drinks cause obesity?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Not me, I've only had one diet drink and that was enough for me...

Ditto.

I did see something in the Yahoo! headlines about diet drinks possibly being unhealthy for you or something like that-I didn't get a chance to read the article, though. But I'll go see if I can find it and post it here.

And totally agreed on what MrsSpringsteen said, too. There needs to be a happy medium. Being extremely overweight is not healthy, but neither is being extremely thin. I don't think Jennifer Love Hewitt is "fat" at ALL-quite the contrary, I think she looks just fine, and anyone who does think she's "fat" needs their eyes checked, I'd say.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom