U.S. Congressman Earl Hilliard (Democrat-Alabama) Was Voted Out Of Office Last Night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
He is blaming it on the Jews.

I think the candidate who beat him in the Democratic Primary (Artur Davis) will be much better for the district and the state as a whole. There is no Republican running for the seat and the Libertarian candidate is about as likely to win as deathbear is likely to vote for Salome.

~U2Alabama

kobeyashi:

Ignore z edge; I do not live in Congressman Hilliard's district. I live a few miles away from it.

The reason the Repubicans do not have a candidate in it is because it is a strongly Democratic district. Just as my suburban district (that of Bono's friend, Congressman Spencer Bachus, Republican-Alabama) never has a Democratic candidate as it is a Republican stronghold.

See, ever since Reconstruction and more recently the Civil Rights movement, the federal government has sought to secure representation for minority precincts (and rightfully so, I might add). Since Congressional seats are proportional to population (rather than state-wide like Senate seats) it makes sense to carve out Congressional seats to ensure a minority representative from the Alabama delegation.

Every 10 years, these districts are reconsidered to reflect the changes in the census. Up until 1992, Alabama had not sent an African-American to Congress since Reconstruction! There was ONE district representing the Birmingham and Tuscaloosa area, and a wealthy but liberal Jewish Congressman represented the combined district. The census of 1990 reflected trememdnous growth of Birmingham's suburbs AND considerable growth in rural Central and West Alabama, which were predominatly African-American. it made sense to draw in districts which could represent both groups seperately. Well, it worked, and we got Hilliard and Bachus (the former Congressman remained in Bachus's district but was defeated by him in 1992).

So, in a nutshell, that's "why" it seems like a one party district.

~U2Alabama

I saw that on the news last night as I was working out at the gym. It sounded like a rather acrimonious race. I was hoping you'd elaborate on the situation as I know very little to nothing about Alabama politics.

Back
Top Bottom