Turner Broadcasting Marketing Campaign Causes Terrorism Fear And Chaos In Boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that Newsday thing is certainly making it a New York/Boston thing-how very mature of them. I think anyone who has had to deal with terrorist threats like NYC has might try a little dose of humility in such matters.

Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it?

There's nothing wrong with treating all of them as potential bombs, given the possibility that someone could create a similar bomb. I think the police commish knows better than you and anyone else.

I think people like Chertoff and Clarke have more experience in these matters than any of us do also

Boston.com

Though some residents complained that law enforcement agencies overreacted, Menino said that Michael Chertoff, US secretary of homeland security, called him yesterday morning and congratulated the city for acting responsibly.

"I'm very proud of how the public safety officials worked," Menino said in an interview, calling the massive response "seamless."

Richard A. Clarke, a former head of counterterrorism at the National Security Council, agreed.

"It looks like an overreaction in retrospect, but having been in that kind of position before, it's usually better to react than not," Clarke said during a chat with readers on Boston.com. "If you don't react and you are wrong, the results are much worse than if you react and are wrong."

That Interference company also allegedly told the guy to keep it on the downlow when it was going on rather than infrom the city about what they had done-that is blatantly wrong

According to an e-mail one friend provided to the Globe, the executive at Interference Inc. told the artist, whom the agency had hired to install the small, battery-powered light screens in Boston, to remain silent, even as dozens of police officers collected the devices and shut down highways, subway lines, and part of the Charles River.

The executive asked Peter Berdovsky to "pretty please keep everything on the dl," slang for down low, or hush-hush, according to the message Berdovsky sent to his friends . The Globe was told by two of Berdovsky's friends about the e-mail they say he sent at 1:25 p.m. Wednesday, three hours before Turner Broadcasting, an Interference client, disclosed that the scare was a marketing campaign gone awry.

A third friend later provided a copy of the e-mail.

The attorney general's office, Berdovsky's lawyers, and Turner Broadcasting would not comment on the authenticity of the e-mail, and the Globe could not immediately verify it.

"Peter was terrified at this point," one friend, Toshi Hoo, said in an interview yesterday. "He was expecting them to handle it, but they weren't handling it. They let the entire country stay on terror alert."

"That's pretty much when he started" e-mailing us, said another friend, Travis Vautour of Cleveland Circle. "He said he was respecting their wishes at first, to an extent. . . . I kind of wished that they didn't ask him to be quiet about it at first. Timing was everything, yesterday. We may have missed our chance to really bring the light on everything."

The e-mail suggests that the creators of the marketing blitz were trying to hide their involvement and doing nothing to stop the scare.

When they decided to speak out about two hours later, they called their client, the Cartoon Network, rather than alerting any of the numerous law enforcement agencies involved, further delaying notification about the marketing campaign. The network's parent company, Turner Broadcasting, issued a statement at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Mayor Menino said angrily yesterday that "if that's true, that's totally irresponsible."

look this is just plain silly... you're not changing your opinion, i'm not changing mine. it has nothing to do with any stupid friggin' new york vs. boston rivalry.

if you still think that this isn't a cover thy ass response by boston officials, and that this...

capt.gajb10402020041.suspicious_devices_gajb104.jpg

... really looks like a dangerous explosive device, well then, there's nothing i can say that will change your mind.

this is how the items were removed in atlanta...

capt.gajb10302020034.suspicious_devices_gajb103.jpg

and this is how they were removed in boston...

capt.maah10301312057.suspicious_devices_maah103.jpg

i'm sorry if i find the entire thing to be utterly ridiculous, but i do... and there is absolutely nothing the boston mayor or police commish can say to change my feelings on how stupid i feel this entire reaction is.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I explained what the commissioner said regarding why they had to keep treating them like bombs, but you just keep ignoring that.
Yep, they have to keep treating them like bombs after the fact because the Boston city government has egg all over its face and it's sad these two artist guys might get prosecuted - just to make the administration look less like buffoons.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
look this is just plain silly... you're not changing your opinion, i'm not changing mine. it has nothing to do with any stupid friggin' new york vs. boston rivalry.

Yes it is silly, but you keep harping on it :shrug: and YOU are the one who first suggested some sort of Boston vs NY thing, and of course I explained to you what my honest reason was for bringing up NY. That is your usual mo around here anyway. If you think however that that Newsday article (just for one example) had nothing to do with Boston vs NY, I politely suggest you can think again. Like I said, one would think that NYC would have some humility regarding the issue of terrorism. I could say more about the attitude of some New Yorkers as displayed by silliness like that, and other silliness, but then again unfortunately I can't here..

Frankly I don't care if they're covering their asses, I still think they did the right thing.

Nothing wrong with a little NYC vs Boston rivalry...it's fun to follow!....they're both bloody amazing cities...I'd go Boston over NYC anyday though....

I find this whole lil' angry LED light guy thing pretty hard to take seriously?? A terrorist threat? That innocuous little device??/

Just some more facts..

Boston Herald

It wasn’t the blinking “Mooninites” that had the Boston Police Department running at Code Red Wednesday.

Quite the contrary, what kept the cops on edge for a few hours were the two packages that didn’t blink . . . the ones that looked just like pipe bombs, rather than SpongeBob SquarePants.

According to Boston police Commissioner Ed Davis, the phony pipe bomb discovered inside Tufts-New England Medical Center at 1 p.m. Wednesday was accompanied by a security guard’s description of “an agitated white male” fleeing the hospital saying, “God is warning you that today is going to be a sad day.”

As fate would have it, this no-nonsense bomb call surfaced in the middle of a coordinated hoax. And it was immediately followed by another call for a “pipe bomb” device tucked under the Longfellow and BU bridges.

Until those guerrilla marketeers at Turner Broadcasting finally owned up to their Mooninite shenanigans late Wednesday afternoon, Davis said that the chorus of law enforcement agencies had no choice but to assume that gag devices had been systematically planted all over town as a distraction for “real” ones that had also been placed.

In other words, the police weren’t quite as punk’d as all those “Aqua Teen Hunger Force” hipsters out there in the blogosphere would lead you to believe. It wasn’t those LEDs tacked onto all those circuit boards that police worried about, as much that guy with no light on upstairs, running away from what looked a helluva lot like a pipe bomb.

“Had we simply found these cartoon characters stuck here and there,” Davis said yesterday, “I can assure you this thing would have been tamped down in pretty short order.

“But what troubled us was the discovery of those other two devices that looked very real indeed. And it wasn’t until the people from Turner took responsibility for what they had done, that we could think about the coincidence of what had taken place.”

By the way that pipe bomb info didn't just come out now to cover anyone's asses, just more details. He (Davis) mentioned it the very same day at a press conference.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Just some more facts..

Facts?

If it the city of Boston was shut down due to the pipe bomb-like finding under these bridges, WHY is it that they are charging the two advertising company employees? They are not responsible for the pipe bomb scare in the hospital, are they?

It sounds like a cover-up for an over-reaction.

The lite-brite devices are nice, but they are still missing components of an IED needed to make it dangerous - something I would hope the Boston Police would realize before over recting like this.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Yes it is silly, but you keep harping on it :shrug: and YOU are the one who first suggested some sort of Boston vs NY thing, and of course I explained to you what my honest reason was for bringing up NY. That is your usual mo around here anyway. If you think however that that Newsday article (just for one example) had nothing to do with Boston vs NY, I politely suggest you can think again. Like I said, one would think that NYC would have some humility regarding the issue of terrorism. I could say more about the attitude of some New Yorkers as displayed by silliness like that, and other silliness, but then again unfortunately I can't here..

give it the fuck up. shit. my usual mo around here? get over yourself... if you think i honestly care enough to make issues of your post just because you made them then i really don't know what to tell ya.

ask hewson about my big boston vs. ny rivalry... about how we got together IN boston and about how i had nothing but great things to say about the city. and how i can't wait to go back to boston this summer? how'd ya like a picture of me wearing a god damned tom brady jersey? shit... it seems that you're the one who's harping over some idiotic statements that i made 3 fucking years ago that i've appologized for a million times. why is it that there are a bunch of other people IN THIS THREAD who agree with what i'm saying yet you only seem to be arguing with MY posts? who's harping on who?

and yes... i'm the one who first mentioned the boston vs. new york rivalry... to say how this has absolutely nothing to do with a petty stupid juvinile sports rivalry, because i didn't want my comments to be misinterpreted. i wouldn't bring a stupid, insignificant bullshit rivalry in a silly little game into a semi-serious issue.

fuck... i give up. perhaps the weapons of mass destruction bush was looking for could have been more easily found if he had invaded toys r' us.

Last edited:
I think this topic has run its course, no need for folks to keep butting heads here to no avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom