Trump Part VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What on earth has given them reason to believe he'd give a damn about that in the first place?

Nikki Haley further confirmed the administration is inhabiting a parallel universe:

The American envoy to the United Nations, Nikki R. Haley, described the United States on Wednesday as the “moral conscience” of the world

the United States would never close its doors to foreigners who flee persecution

Something she was undoubtedly correct on:

“The beauty of this administration is, all bets are off,” she said in response to a question. “We’re not going to look at how things were done in the past.”

I wouldn't call it beauty, though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/...prod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

The American envoy to the United Nations, Nikki R. Haley, described the United States on Wednesday as the “moral conscience” of the world

They never ever learn, do they? Incredible delusion.

Every fucking day it's something.

Get ready for a tweet storm to distract

I have a slight worry that Flynn is planning on falling on the sword, will change his tune under oath and has an agreement for a pardon if he happens to be sent to jail for anything.

Don't forget a gig at FoxNews after it's over.

This is the Ollie North playbook all over again.

So I know they are rumours and I doubt trumps over inflated ego would allow him to do that but there are rumours of trump considering resigning! This could be the best week of mylife! If I land my job and ace the interview and exams this week and trump resigns in the same week, it will be an epic week!! But again trump wouldn't resign, that's admitting he is wrong! He is incapable of ever doing that lol.
BREAKING: Trump Considering Resigning From Office? | Claps News

Well he walked out of an executive order signing ceremony without signing the executive order in order to avoid questions about Flynn, so clearly he's at his cracking point.

Still highly doubt anything is imminent, although Trump resigning in April Fool's Day would be a perfect way to complete the ultimate troll job.

I have a slight worry that Flynn is planning on falling on the sword, will change his tune under oath and has an agreement for a pardon if he happens to be sent to jail for anything.

Don't know if the president is capable of pardoning him in such a case. I feel like that in itself is a conflicting interest.

I guess the point is that even if Flynn falls on the sword and implies Trump is innocent, Flynn's actions were still beneficial to the Trump campaign. Pardoning him would quite literally be encouraging such actions, and abusing the power of the president for self gain.

Don't know if the president is capable of pardoning him in such a case. I feel like that in itself is a conflicting interest.

Yeah I would hope that isn't possible. It would be a hell of a bad precedent to set.

Are there any crimes that are unpardonable?

Yeah I would hope that isn't possible. It would be a hell of a bad precedent to set.

Are there any crimes that are unpardonable?

I'm fairly certain the president can legitimately pardon whatever he wants. I feel like it's a Supreme Court case waiting to happen, should a pardoning occur (which lawfully implies guilt I believe). So, it would depend on what Flynn says, but were he to in the future have been discovered to lie under oath, i.e. the working assumption that he's "falling on the sword" as a cover up, a presidential pardon would subsequently be sort of an implication of Trump's guilt.

Now I'm really interested in whether anything is pardonable. The accusations against Flynn border on treason and implicate a sitting president; there must be a line somewhere.

A presidential pardon may be granted at any time, however, and as when Ford pardoned Nixon, the pardoned person need not yet have been convicted or even formally charged with a crime.

[...]

It appears that a pardon can be rejected, and must be affirmatively accepted to be officially recognized by the courts. Acceptance also carries with it an admission of guilt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon#United_States

here's a fun little note i found looking this up too:

In his autobiography A Time to Heal, Ford wrote about a meeting he had with Nixon's Chief of Staff, Alexander Haig. Haig was explaining what he and Nixon's staff thought were Nixon's only options. He could try to ride out the impeachment and fight against conviction in the Senate all the way, or he could resign. His options for resigning were to delay his resignation until further along in the impeachment process, to try and settle for a censure vote in Congress, or to pardon himself and then resign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon_of_Richard_Nixon

who knows how that would have held up in court (or if it even could have been challenged?), but this definitely sounds like something trump could try once he decides he's had enough.

Last edited:
I mean, my understanding is that Flynn falling on the sword would be him saying he acted entirely on his own accord and under the instruction of nobody. Which would be a ticking time bomb were he to be pardoned -- lying under oath and eventually information appears to suggest otherwise.

He just can't let shit go. Ever.

And always quoting FoxNews for "sources" hasn't served him well

That's probably the best case for any sort of impeachment.

While it's obvious he has ties to Russian $$$, I don't know if it's illegal. It's concerning, but don't know if it's enough to throw him out.

If it's found that his campaign staff colluded with Russia to tilt the election in their favor, will there be enough evidence to tie it to Trump himself?

My fear is that the Democrats still have no way to win back the White House. No matter what candidate they choose, a sizable portion will hate him/her.

I still believe a more center/moderate candidate is the route to go. Someone like Biden. He has that "tell it like it is" aspect that did Trump well, but he's got a ton of fucking experience too.

The problem is the far left will eat him alive for being an "elite" and then damage him enough to basically go through the same shit as Clinton. The hope is that with a candidate like this, this person's campaign doesn't skip the Midwest states.

No one besides Bernie appears to be PURE enough for the progressive side of the Democrat party.

One big difference is that despite all the shit Trump talked about the other GOP, their party, etc.....once he got the nomination, they all filed in behind him.

Looks like there's a very real chance that we see the nuclear option get pulled soon re: Gorsuch.

I am honestly dumbfounded by Senate Democrats right now. They have literally ZERO leverage here. The Republicans are going to pull the nuclear option if they are forced to. This is a dumb show to appeal to a base seems to be close to start primary-ing out people, Tea Party-style. The last thing we need is the left seriously developing that sort of base.

Filibuster Gorsuch, and Gorsuch still gets confirmed, and there's nothing to stop DJT from appointing Steve Bannon to replace RBG when she passes. Don't filibuster Gorsuch, and Gorsuch gets confirmed, but there's at least a hope that some in the GOP will be reluctant to pull the nuclear option next time if DJT appoints someone truly ridiculous.

We cannot expect a left-leaning justice out of this president, especially when said justice is replacing Scalia. It's ridiculous to even try. The best we can hope for is someone intelligent and competent, and Gorsuch honestly is both of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom