Trump Part VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's remind ourselves that the arc of the universe bends toward justice. I believe that Trump will reap what he has sown--discord, divisiveness, and hate. America is still at heart a good and welcoming place. Keep on taking back our country!
He's gotten away with being a piece of shit for 70 years.

Very quiet in here! Is this the calm before the storm?

there's such a shitstorm going on out there right now it's difficult to post/comment on everything - it's like they're trying some kind of "shock and awe" approach - intense and fecking insane...

"I was with the artillery supporting the division that took Dachau; I arrived there the day after it was taken, when bulldozers were making pyramids of human bodies outside the camp. What I saw there has haunted me ever since. Because the law is my profession, I've always wondered about the judges throughout Germany who sentenced men to jail for picking pockets at a time when their own government was jerking gold from the teeth of men murdered in gas chambers. I'm concerned about all of this because it isn't a German phenomenon; it's a human phenomenon. It can happen here, because there has been no change and there has been no progress and there has been no increase of understanding on the part of men for their fellow man. What worries me deeply, and I have seen it exemplified in this case, is that we in America are in great danger of slowly evolving into a proto-fascist state. It will be a different kind of fascist state from the one of the Germans evolved; theirs grew out of depression and promised bread and work, while ours, curiously enough, seems to be emerging from prosperity. But in the final analysis, it's based on power and on the inability to put human goals and human conscience above the dictates of the state.

Its origins can be traced in the tremendous war machine we've built since 1945, the "military-industrial complex" that Eisenhower vainly warned us about, which now dominates every aspect of our life. The power of the states and Congress has gradually been abandoned to the Executive Department, because of war conditions; and we've seen the creation of an arrogant, swollen bureaucratic complex totally unfettered by the checks and balances of the Constitution. In a very real and terrifying sense, our Government is the CIA and the Pentagon, with Congress reduced to a debating society.

Of course, you can't spot this trend to fascism by casually looking around. You can't look for such familiar signs as the swastika, because they won't be there. We won't build Dachaus and Auschwitzes; the clever manipulation of the mass media is creating a concentration camp of the mind that promises to be far more effective in keeping the populace in line. We're not going to wake up one morning and suddenly find ourselves in gray uniforms goose-stepping off to work. But this isn't the test. The test is: What happens to the individual who dissents? In Nazi Germany, he was physically destroyed; here, the process is more subtle, but the end results can be the same.

I've learned enough about the machinations of the CIA in the past year to know that this is no longer the dreamworld America I once believed in. The imperatives of the population explosion, which almost inevitably will lessen our belief in the sanctity of the individual human life, combined with the awesome power of the CIA and the defense establishment, seem destined to seal the fate of the America I knew as a child and bring us into a new Orwellian world where the citizen exists for the state and where raw power justifies any and every immoral act.

I've always had a kind of knee-jerk trust in my Government's basic integrity, whatever political blunders it may make. But I've come to realize that in Washington, deceiving and manipulating the public are viewed by some as the natural prerogatives of office. Huey Long once said, "Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism." I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."

Jim Garrison, 1967.

i am so embarrassed i defended this guy years back... horrible to see him sucking up to Trump - i reckon he's hoping for a pardon when the Ecuadorian embassy kick him out...

i read earlier that the Pussy Riot singer met him a couple of years ago and believes he is Putin's puppet and is at war with the US govt...

things just keep on getting stranger and stranger...

interesting, rumours abounding on twitter that if Trump leaked this wire-tap thing, it would be an impeachable offence, obstruction of justice...

would be really fucking ironic if he's incriminated himself via a tweet :D

Recent thoughts from the oh-so-charming Steve King:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-representative-trump-should-purge-white-house-174638632.html

Representative Steve King, R-Iowa, told the New York Times on Tuesday that he believes in the existence of a “deep state” attempting to undermine President Trump’s administration.

“We are talking about the emergence of a deep state led by Barack Obama, and that is something that we should prevent,” King told the Times. “The person who understands this best is Steve Bannon, and I would think that he’s advocating to make some moves to fix it.”

The term “deep state,” which is relatively new to American politics, has been used to describe a permanent military, intelligence and law-enforcement bureaucracy manipulating government policies in secret.

King added that Trump “needs to purge the leftists within the administration that are holdovers from the Obama administration, because it appears that they are undermining his administration and his chances of success.”

Good lord, why does this idiot still have a job?

april 27, 2016: trump gives a speech at an *invitation-only* event. the tall white-haired man in this photo sitting in the front row in front of the secret service agent on the left is russian ambassador sergei kislyak.

republican-presidential-candidate-donald-trump-delivers-a-speech-his-picture-id524993066

here he is taking his seat:

former-us-secretary-of-state-james-baker-arrives-with-others-to-to-picture-id524985356

and here is jeff sessions taking his seat directly next to him (not the pinstripes, the gray bit of shoulder on the far right you can see behind the lady's back):

sen-jeff-sessions-arrives-to-hear-republican-presidential-candidate-picture-id524993068

A few minutes before he made those remarks, Mr. Trump met at a VIP reception with Russia’s ambassador to the U.S., Sergey Ivanovich Kislyak. Mr. Trump warmly greeted Mr. Kislyak and three other foreign ambassadors who came to the reception.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-goes-his-own-way-with-vladimir-putin-1463172396

But Trump, after Putin praised him, called the Russian leader “very bright” and a “strong leader.”

“I believe an easing of tensions, and improved relations with Russia — from a position of strength only — is possible, absolutely possible,” Trump said at his foreign-policy speech, in April. “Some say the Russians won’t be reasonable. I intend to find out.”

But on that same day, Trump met with Sergey Ivanovich Kislyak, Russia’s ambassador to the United States, at a VIP reception along with three other foreign ambassadors.

Putin 'Pleased' With Trump

february 22, 2017:

"How many times do I have to answer this question? Russia is a ruse. I know you have to get up and ask a question but Russia is a ruse. I have nothing to do with Russia. Haven't made a phone call to Russia in years. Don't speak to people from Russia, not that I wouldn't, I just have nobody to speak to. I spoke to Putin twice, he called me on the election, and he called me on the inauguration. [...] I have nothing to do with Russia. To the best of my knowlege, no person that I deal with does."

Donald Trump's claims his team did not contact Russia during campaign contradicted by Kremlin officials | The Independent

the smoke gets thicker every day...

there's such a shitstorm going on out there right now it's difficult to post/comment on everything - it's like they're trying some kind of "shock and awe" approach - intense and fecking insane...

Yeah just too
Many things to keep track of and its overwhelming. I am amazed that the GOP is still defending him. I would have thought that by now people would have woken up and realized what a mess this is. People will not wake up! I feel things will get much worse before something happens (if it does happen). But hey what do I know, ask me a year ago and a half ago whether trump had a chance of even being the nominee I would have told you no chance in hell, people can't be that stupid. So I really don't believe anymore that people will wake up! I lost all hope!

He just hides out in the rural parts. Most of the folk that live in Des Moines, Iowa City, or some of the "bigger" cities/towns despise him.

Damn, it all makes sense now. Just took two years after his death to hook into the Trump egg

He just hides out in the rural parts. Most of the folk that live in Des Moines, Iowa City, or some of the "bigger" cities/towns despise him.

I think there's even a Facebook group that's titled "Steve King is an Idiot" or something like that :p. I know a few people here in town who are part of that group. I've also read a lot of letters in state and local papers ranting against King, too.

But yeah, when you see how depressingly red this state went last November, it's hard to remember that sometimes.

You know, it could have been a funny inside joke and harmless

But we know that Trump was being a fucking liar and serious about discrediting the job reports in the past.

I'm doing a bit of travelling just now and got talking to a couple from the US yesterday. They seemed quite nice and I asked them what they thought about Trump. They said he was doing well so far and the media are trying to destroy him with lies. These people seemed fairly intelligent! I can't help get the feeling there's many more Trump supporters out there and it's a bit of an echo chamber in here and on TV in general. I really can't believe decent people would back this guy though!

As an American, I don't know any intelligent people who support him. There's just been too much to discredit him already, not even counting the fact that he's trying to tear down democratic institutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom