Trump Part VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a thing that said the senate repubs are saying they're not going to vote on this bill but introduce their own legislation ... so this will change in some ways?

Yes. Some major things to consider:

1. Senate Republicans have seemed much more protective of the Medicaid expansion. They may be less willing to back the eventual cuts in the House bill. GOP can only afford to lose 3 votes, so this is not insignificant.
2. Because of Budget Reconciliation, parts of the House Bill may be ruled out of order. Reconciliation is supposed to only affect budgetary policy, so any long-term (10+ years) policy changes may be ruled out of order. Anything ruled out of order will be cut from the Bill and would require 60 votes. Decisions can't be made since the new House bill has no CBO score (groans), so this could take a few weeks before any decisions are made. This is a wild card; I don't know what will get cut.
3. Let's be real: the GOP is not losing the Senate next year. This could either make them more bold or make them more deliberate and want to take their time to "get it right." I really don't know, but I think they recognize that their actions will affect how competitive the House will be next year. If they want to hold both majorities, it's in their best interest to not pass anything.

The House Bill is DOA in the Senate. The margin of error in the Senate is a lot lower than in the House. I don't know if anything will pass because of the Reconciliation X-Factor and what impact that'll have on any kind of Conference Committee (I doubt the HFC will accept whatever the Senate produces like House Dems did with ACA). If something becomes law, I think it only touches the individual insurance market. So many of the newly insured are because of the Medicaid expansion that it would be political suicide to cut it. I don't want to see anything happen to pre-existing condition protection, but enough local markets are in rough shape that I don't know what'll happen.

Last edited:
On that note, I've been wondering-is he planning on making any visits anytime soon to the areas that have been hit hard by tornado outbreaks or nasty flooding recently? Does he even know that that's a thing presidents do?

Especially considering some of the places that have been hit are in middle America. Given all the talk we've heard about how much middle America apparently loved Trump and all that sort of thing, I would think he'd want to show his support for them during a hard time, no?

So yeah. It'll be interesting to see if and how he handles that.

Wow, you're right, ML! Hadn't even thought of that. If I can't send money, at least I send prayers to hard hit areas. A few years back something bad happened to the Joplin, Missouri area. I had passed through on a Greyhound bus decades earlier. Even something small like hat and more feel more connected to those people.

But a US President does go to some of the worst disasters at some point, and then at times they announce when (so far) when he plans to visit, ie 'the president will visit _____, once local officials determine it is safe to do so' etc.

(Sometimes it feels like a pure photo op. There was one particular W Bush visit.....)

Last edited:
Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gjeischfueuwjsbfngossjxjerhskzncfeh

This post brought to you by my dad watching Fox News wand providing running commentary.

I love him and he put in a garbage disposal for me this week, but I have to go away the two hours I allow him to watch Fox News.

Sitting outside with my coffee, despite it being damp and cold out.

That is all. As you were.

:hug: I guess the when it gets warm & sunny again, the pale population comes out and sun burned hasn't happened yet?

The Democrats are joyful on the House floor because they think this bill passing is good for their chances in the next election. Because people's health is a pawn for BOTH parties.

Fuck the Democratic Party, man.

Under such distressing & disgusting actions as this Repu(gent)b HCA actions as this it's temping to then cast your anger over all Democrats but 1) here are still some damn good Democrats out there (and no one's perfect), 2) I'm sure there were some that weren't cheering, or cheering less so understanding the Awfulness of this bill but maybe going along , then voicing their distress to their colleagues later in private.

This bill is fucking terrifying. We'll hopefully see The Senate introduce heir own, or be a very long "ping pong" match (reconciliation after reconciliation) where it (original bill) will go down in flames. Perhaps nothing will ultimately get through. Or in the meantime the moderate-ish Republicans will get even more flamed by their constituents that they'll have reconsider appeasing the =cough= "Freedom Caucus" =gak= .

Last edited:
*ding, ding, ding*

Remember this name...
Rep (Repub) Raul Labrador giving a speech today sez-

"Nobody dies from not having access to health care".

dear lord
:scream:

The audience did go into an uproar of disgust.

Just saw that.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah. He can go fuck himself.

Continuing on that note, there's this:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/house-rep...ngry-over-165707769--abc-news-topstories.html

Remember when the Republicans were going on about "death panels" and the whole "they want to kill your grandma!" BS back when Obamacare was being created?

Looking at some of the comments in the link above, all I can say is, oh, the irony...

Yeah, I remember that :|

As well as the selfish ones who don't want any of "their money" going to help others, the sick, the "lazy" etc

There by the grace of god, luck, random chances etc go them :|

Taxes are what we pay for a civilized society

Now let's close more of those loop holes for Corporations, and billionaires!

BTW I sometimes get nanoseconds confused when i see you, or media mention your Iowa rep ?Steve King, as we have a Repub Rep Peter King out on Long Island (NYS) who's often in our local , sometimes national news.
Until u mentioned your State s guy PK is the only Rep with that last name that I knew of.

Last edited:
was so relieved i cried like a fool haha fucking love my adopted country :heart:

my Frenchie friends have been texting me telling me we can stay hahaha :heart:

so proud of France! today, i was out in the arse-end of nowhere doing a riding clinic with a load of Frenchie ladies and they'd all gone out extra early to get their votes in - everyone was voting Macron to block Le Pen regardless of their views, same as all my closest friends - i can't put into words how much i fucking love these people!

There's still a lot of work to do, but far-right, nationalist populist movements have won only once in the popular vote over the last couple of years – and that is Brexit, of course.

we will fight that battle tomorrow - tonight i am going to get very very drunk :D

Thank you France. You joined together to keep a female Trump from wrecking havoc on Europe.

Not ideal choices but it was never even a choice.

Shame we couldn't figure it out

Glad that Le Pen lost comfortably - a small win in the end though. Macron's conduct and general program is utter depressing shite however.

Thank you France. You joined together to keep a female Trump from wrecking havoc on Europe.

Not ideal choices but it was never even a choice.

Shame we couldn't figure it out

Why do you people always do this? It's as if the only way you can look at foreign politics is by applying US comparisons to election candidates. It's never so simple!

Not to mention that Le Pen has been around for longer than Trump has in their respective political sphere, and is an extension of her father who has been around for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom