Trump General Discussion VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No surprise about the role that Sessions played in revoking the protections for transgender students. Unsettling though, considering this is your Attorney General.
Interesting I thought was the role Betsy DeVos played. Sure, she gave in, but I don't see how she would have won the struggle.
And even more interesting was this linked article about her very own views and support of LGBTIQ, which pitted her against her own family: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/us/politics/betsy-devos-gay-transgender-rights.html

“She would say it’s a part of her faith,” said Mr. McNeilly, who has worked for Ms. DeVos in various capacities for two decades. “Her faith teaches her to be tolerant. And like most of America, she’s evolved.”

If only more people could get around to at least this bit.

The best part of this latest idiocy is that Betsy DeVos is another garbage person with hideous ideas, but with apparently one tolerant bone in her body. And she's already been put in her place for that. It's like a tragic comedy.

I have to say, these republican town halls and their crowds' robust defense of the ACA (i.e., "Sen Grassley, you're going to create one giant death panel by repealing Obamacare") are inspiring.

Last edited:
If you've been following the polling, the ACA now has over 50% approval which it has never had before.

I think a lot of people are experiencing buyer's remorse, likely due to ignorance.

The Republicans are choosing to ignore all of this and brand these people as paid protesters, but they do so at their own peril. The Democrats learned this lesson when they did nothing but point and laugh at the Tea Party for over a year before they got their asses handed to them in 2010.

One of my senators, Don Bacon, said, during the primaries, that he would hold regular town halls all throughout Nebraska, because "that's my job." Now that he realizes there are lots of pissed off constituents, he's changed his tune to "I have no plans to hold town halls in the coming weeks, or ever." His reason? He doesn't want to subject himself to questions over his actions He doesn't want activists from "the fringe minority" to disrupt them.

Everyone knows town halls are only for people who agree with you.

They're going to cut taxes on the wealthy and literally their plan for making the budget work is just saying it will result in more revenue than economists say is possible.

I have to say, these republican town halls and their crowds' robust defense of the ACA (i.e., "Sen Grassley, you're going to create one giant death panel by repealing Obamacare") are inspiring.

But will they vote these idiots out next time? They've been voting FOR them foe decades, in some cases. And the legislators' opinions on these issues have never been a secret.

Trump: I'm gonna replace the ACA with something soooo much better!
Voters: What's it gonna be?
Trump: slow, painful death
Voters: yaaaay!

(later)

Voters: what did he say?

A question for Americans who don't support Trump: Have you been able to maintain friendships with people who voted to take healthcare away from others?

A question for Americans who don't support Trump: Have you been able to maintain friendships with people who voted to take healthcare away from others?
We don't require voters to actually educate themselves on the issues. So can I forgive someone who made an informed decision based on soundbites? Especially those who show some regret now that they actually see this ineptitude in action? Sure. Can I forgive a friend who is a Republican and thought Trump would moderate? Fine.

But I'd be lying if I said I haven't cut myself off from some of the "true believers."

I'm not American but lived there and have a number of American friends.

I had to unfriend/unfollow a couple on Facebook as I just couldn't take it anymore. One of them was actually more irritating to me on the basis of her obsessive love of guns than the Trump love though there was that too.

Also:

Two polls released this week offer that downside to President Trump. New surveys from Quinnipiac University and McClatchy-Marist reveal that Trump — never terribly popular nationally — continues to be seen as dishonest, a poor leader and unstable.

What’s more, the U.S. is embarrassed by him.

thanks in part to a majority of independents saying that they’re embarrassed, 58 percent of the country uses that term to describe its feelings about Trump’s first month in office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...overage:homepage/story&utm_term=.fd34a47fcfbb

Last edited:
[TWEET]834862805148901377[/TWEET]

States' rights only matter when you have the opportunity to let people discriminate against minorities.

We don't require voters to actually educate themselves on the issues. So can I forgive someone who made an informed decision based on soundbites? Especially those who show some regret now that they actually see this ineptitude in action? Sure. Can I forgive a friend who is a Republican and thought Trump would moderate? Fine.

But I'd be lying if I said I haven't cut myself off from some of the "true believers."

The cousin who was terribly cruel to me after the election finally apologized last week, and was just like, "It was this whole crazy election. But you know you're family and I love you more than the world, cuz." and I'm like, yeah....that whole zany election's now past us so I'm able to just move on. They think of it as a fucking team sport and think that now that I'm over my "team" losing, it's all good. I just nodded my head and was like, 'Back atcha' and just moved on. I'm talking to her a little, but every time I do I feel sick inside.
[TWEET]834862805148901377[/TWEET]

States' rights only matter when you have the opportunity to let people discriminate against minorities.

Haha, fucking hell, the irony is pathetic.
Trump wants to expand US nuclear arsenal....

Exclusive: Trump wants to expand U.S. nuclear arsenal, make it 'top of the pack' | Reuters

WTF, the US could destroy the whole world many time over with the nuclear weapons they already have!

THIS! I've never understood what good having more nukes does. There's like, a set number of nukes you could ever need and then you literally need no more nukes because there will be no one left to use them on.

I don't really personally know anyone who voted for such things-there's my relatives who supported Trump, but I don't see them often enough and am hardly ever on Facebook enough to interact with them, so I just sigh when I hear about them supporting the GOP and move on.

But I will say that the healthcare issue, and the GOP's attitude on it, has been one of the biggest reasons I cannot respect or support them. Their attitude on it has seriously pissed me off so much. It's based on nothing but coldness and ignorance and selfishness.

And I will never forget that primary debate a number of years back, before Obamacare was officially a thing, where the moderator asked the GOP candidates on stage what should happen to people who can't afford healthcare, if they should die...and some in the crowd CHEERED at that. Given what my family had been going through at that time, that hit me especially hard and had me so fucking angry I wanted to punch my TV screen.

I just...I don't get how people can think that way. I don't get how people think it's okay for somebody to not be able to afford to go to a doctor, to just live with health issues because they don't have the money to treat them. How heartless do you have to be to think that's acceptable?

That article on the Muslim woman who worked in the White House was a good read, too. Eyeopening and heartbreaking. Especially this part:

When Trump first called for a Muslim ban, reports of hate crimes against Muslims spiked. The trend of anti-Muslim hate crimes is ongoing, as mosques are set on fire and individuals attacked––six were killed at a mosque in Canada by a self-identified Trump supporter.

Throughout 2015 and 2016, I watched with disbelief, apprehension, and anxiety, as Trump’s style of campaigning instigated fear and emboldened xenophobes, anti-Semites, and Islamophobes. While cognizant of the possibility of Trump winning, I hoped a majority of the electorate would never condone such a hateful and divisive worldview.

During the campaign last February, Obama visited a Baltimore mosque and reminded the public that “we’re one American family, and when any part of our family starts to feel separate … It’s a challenge to our values.” His words would go unheeded by his successor.

The climate in 2016 felt like it did just after 9/11. What made it worse was that this fear and hatred were being fueled by Americans in positions of power. Fifth-grade students at a local Sunday school where I volunteered shared stories of being bullied by classmates and teachers, feeling like they didn’t belong here anymore, and asked if they might get kicked out of this country if Trump won. I was almost hit by a car by a white man laughing as he drove by in a Costco parking lot, and on another occasion was followed out of the metro by a man screaming profanities: “Fuck you! Fuck Islam! Trump will send you back!”

Hey, Trump supporters? This is why what your president says matters. This is why you shouldn't brush off their xenophobic comments as "just jokes" or "Oh, they didn't really mean it." This shit has repercussions, for God's sake.

And yet, her desire to hold on to the values America stands for is inspiring, too. I hope she continues to do great work in other ways in this country.

Ct4wyKPVMAAyY_T.jpg

so look... honestly... this guy was either an AWFUL businessman, corrupt and skimming off the top like it's nobody's business, or both.

Headache- thanks for reminding me about the whole process of actually having nukes be launched... (vs "the button") but then again, I was 9 during the Cuban Missle Crisis previous to the WH - Kremlin
Hotline

Still Trump & nukes in the same sentence.... lord have mercy!

And thanks for the 25th Amendment (info) link.
-----------------

I had not seen the photos of the toppled tombstones :crack: so horrible!

And like omg pick on someone your own damn size(!!!) harassing trans kids about using their birth gender bathroom :| :(

omg... They removed this undocumented woman w a brain tumor from a hospital!?!!??!
:scream: That is So Wrong!!!!!

and that poor man who just committed suicide? :crack:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom