Trump General Discussion VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
canada has always accepted refugees. i have lifelong friends from kosovo and rwanda. i've said it many times how great refugees and immigrants in general are for canada.

but i still can't wrap my head around canada taking in refugees from the united states. it was always a joke before and after every presidential election (if x wins i'm moving to canada!) but now people are freezing nearly to death, losing limbs and walking for days in waist-deep snow for exactly that reason. it's not funny anymore.

Doesn't Canada have a program to inhabit the northern provinces by offering incentives to immigrants and the like?

I can't remember where I read this but I know it exists.

That kind of polarization may be exactly what some members of the White House want. High-ranking members of the current administration — most notably its chief strategist, Steve Bannon — have publicly espoused apocalyptic theories of history that center on a forthcoming clash between Western countries and the Muslim world, a conflict that many of them seem to perceive as both inevitable and desirable.

There are striking parallels between Bannon’s worldview and the perspective of terrorist groups like the Islamic State, which see the world divided in similarly binary terms — hence their reported enthusiasm for the executive order that Bannon helped author.
[...]
ISIS attacks have been deliberately calibrated to shock and offend the sensibilities of Western publics, a strategy that the group openly refers to as “eliminating the grayzone” of coexistence between societies.
[...]
Where President Obama sought to calm public fears in the aftermath of ISIS attacks, Trump and his administration will undoubtedly seek to inflame them for political gain. It’s only a matter of time before such an attack occurs, and Trump’s reaction could have consequences that quickly spiral out of control

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/11...oser-to-their-common-goal-civilizational-war/

And who does also espouse the idea of a civilisational war between Christians and Muslims? Erik Prince, founder of Blackwater and brother of Betsy DeVos.

you guys should follow Louise Mensch on twitter - it's like reading a crime novel in the making...

haha fuck that, the less time spent even thinking about that woman the better. and what the hell is that new American accent she insists on using? just embarrassing. :doh:

haha yeah i had a wtf moment too! she seems to have turned all investigative journalist now, and is convinced Trump will be impeached soon - i've just been scanning thru but she seems to be getting credit for exposing Russian links

i take it with a truckload of salt but it's a fascinating way of wasting some time haha

yeah it's crazy! i was like, Louise Mensch? tory MP turned super sleuth? wtf?! :lol:

This entire absurd notion of trying to understand these people and meeting them halfway is totally outside the plot.

Indeed. Democrats will win by turning out the vote, not by convincing people who think voting for Trump is a reasonable choice--reason has no sway on them.

Poor Sweden first it was that horrible attack then this! Trump told me it's a real problem, thus it is a real problem.

Conversation

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Give the public a break - The FAKE NEWS media is trying to say that large scale immigration in Sweden is working out just beautifully. NOT!

Doesn't Canada have a program to inhabit the northern provinces by offering incentives to immigrants and the like?

I can't remember where I read this but I know it exists.

you get tax breaks if you work north of the 60th parallel, and there are certain remote areas designated by the government where they actually pay (taken off your income tax) a daily allowance of something like 35-40 bucks. but you have to be working and these places are usually too remote and cold for them to have year-round populations so most of the people who benefit from that are miners and oil rig workers from down south who fly in for a month or two at a time and never leave the company camp.

the people who live there need the allowance because the cost of basic goods is absolutely insane due to how remote everything is. up there even a can of pepsi can cost over 10 bucks. there aren't many jobs in the towns themselves and extremely few of the residents can afford to go south to get the kinds of qualifications they'd need to work those oil and mining jobs. so for the people who actually live there it's a subsidy, rather than an incentive. basically, if they didn't get it they'd either starve or have to move south as a whole and leave their cultural homeland (the vast majority of northern permanent residents are inuit).

i doubt there's much incentive for immigrants to move permanently up there right now. there wouldn't be many jobs for them and they're needed in more populous parts of canada anyways. although i did read a story that said they may need to start offering those incentives to get people living up there as the ice melts and more resources and shipping lanes become accessible, but i can't imagine what they could offer that wouldn't bankrupt the government and would actually get people to want to move there and stay there.

The leader of the world lives on a completely different one.

It's only a matter of time before something bad happens, and when it does, and if Trump is still in charge things will get nastier than we have ever seen.

We don't even have a fully staffed government, which one could argue that it shows we can be more efficient, but it's also scary that we may not have the enough ears and eyes on the ground to protect us from threats.

poor sweden first it was that horrible attack then this! Trump told me it's a real problem, thus it is a real problem.

Conversation

donald j. Trump‏ @realdonaldtrump

give the public a break - the fake news media is trying to say that large scale immigration in sweden is working out just beautifully. Not!

IMG_5985.JPG

jeesus how embarrassing - can he not see he's making a fool out of himself?

No, he's incapable. His ego accompanied by the inability for shame makes him completely self unaware.

I'm more concerned about his supporters, how do they still not see it? I'm concerned over the high volume of mental illness in this country.

Yep! Pretty crazy and embarrassing. Trump has no clue what so ever what he is doing in the USA let alone about how other governments work! In Sweden just like in many other countries immigration works quite well. Here in Canada we rely on immigrants for many things. They are a very important part of our country and I am sure the same can be said about Sweden and the USA. Trump should just butt out of other people's bussiness, he is not running Sweden. Anyway the more he embarrasses himself and the USA I hope the more people see through his wild tactics and the faster they can get rid of him. I give him 2 years until the next elections in which I hope to God that the democrats regain control and impeach his sorry butt! Until then, I don't think impeachment is possible with a GOP majority.

Why is Bono praising Mike Pence for his work on AIDS? Did Pence not actively facilitate an HIV outbreak in Indiana? What the fuck is going on?

Why is Bono praising Mike Pence for his work on AIDS? Did Pence not actively facilitate an HIV outbreak in Indiana? What the fuck is going on?
He didn't

https://youtu.be/71AVNPrSUsQ

He acknowledges that Pence voted twice for a foreign AIDS bill, and that it was appreciated.

I'm not sure where this "praise" narrative came from.

Why is he going after Sweden again on Twitter today?! It's bonkers! It looks like he's trying to save face after his ridiculous speech but at the same time insulting an ally again (see Australia). What a joke of a man.

The leader of the world lives on a completely different one.

Nah. I think that Angela Merkel is perfectly aware what's going on on Planet Earth.

It's only a matter of time before something bad happens, and when it does, and if Trump is still in charge things will get nastier than we have ever seen.

Problematic issue is that Trump has already been covering himself should something bad happen, with his pre-emptive shifting of blame to the judicial branch (and the fake news press).

I saw a striking comment in my timeline about that tweet:
[TWEET]833471618001170433[/TWEET]
http://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/833471618001170433

So much for a strong leader...

Last edited:
Why is he going after Sweden again on Twitter today?! It's bonkers! It looks like he's trying to save face after his ridiculous speech but at the same time insulting an ally again (see Australia). What a joke of a man.

The joke will be on trump when in history he will be viewed as the absolute worst president in history! If Nixon was still alive, he would be loving this right about now. And bush probably loves this too, he looks like a superstar now compared to trump. But as to your question, who the hell knows why he is going after Sweden.. Again he should stick to minding his own bussiness, he is not the president of Sweden. I don't even think trump knows why he is doing what he is doing.

He didn't

https://youtu.be/71AVNPrSUsQ

He acknowledges that Pence voted twice for a foreign AIDS bill, and that it was appreciated.

I'm not sure where this "praise" narrative came from.
Again, I reiterate, my frustration was with him speaking positively about Pence i/r/t AIDS at all. Propping him up because he signed two pieces of paper, but ignored his home state's suffering so he could look strong on the war on drugs is pathetic and evil. And again, I know Bono has to so certain things to get where he needs to for what's important to him, but hundreds of people contracted HIV here and Pence let them.
genuinely confused - did Pence start the HIV outbreak but then try to fix it? what's the story?

How Mike Pence used Obamacare to halt Indiana's HIV outbreak - POLITICO
One of the main issues is that he got rid of the clean needle exchange in Indiana, and low and behold, soon afterwards, we had an HIV epidemic that Pence wasn't even acknowledging his role for a while there.

This is a time line from huffpo. They also point to a defunding of planned parenthood, and therefore the one HIV testing center in the County as part of the problem.

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57f53b9be4b002a7312022ef/amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom