Trump General Discussion VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have a passport that belonged to my grandmother. It has an travel stamp from Germany with a big nazi eagle as part of the stamp. She went to visit family in POLAND 9 months before Germany invaded. I've shown that to friends and some get extremely negative.

Why would you keep that?!

Because its my families history. My grandmother was an aid for General Sikorki who was part of the Exiled Polish govt who Britain set up in the UK after Poland fell. I tell them should I discard it because of what is in it?

Its the same thing as say a violent video game. Its aimed at a certain age group. I was in school when Columbine happened and my anger at the conservatives over blaming music and video games is something that stuck with me a lot in my younger life.

The Django dolls were something again only meant for collectors. If you don't want to buy them that's fine. Now you say why shouldn't someone be offended by those? What about the movie itself? You don't see anyone screaming OMG that is racist! About the movie do you? I'm not sure how much of a movie fan you are but do you remember the exploitation films of the 70's? Shaft, Coffee etc etc?

Heck they even made films like the Black Gestapo....The point is they were supposed to be out there and racy but no one ever thought they were more than they were and those kind of films influenced directors like Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez.

I've never seen a Nazi collectors set but yes I can see that being offensive. That is a far cry from a series of figures of characters from a movie. I am not Jewish but I am Polish and my family has seen the horror of the Nazi's. My grandmother hated the Communists more because the Nazi's were taken care of in the end.....The communists were not and they did some horrible things to the Poles under Soviet rule.

Looking forward to our conservatives here explaining that one away.
I dont' remember why I clicked this in Multi-quote. Edit forthcoming. They won't explain it, they'll just deflect with Benghazi.
Trump giving speech at the National Prayer Breakfast, so far all he's talked about is the Apprentice and how the ratings have gone down since Schwarzenegger took over and it's been a disaster. Now he wants people to pray for Arnold. Very awkward, like one person clapping.

My God.
This is incredibly offensive to me as a Christian. No sarcasm or joking, I'm terribly angry right now.

I'm sad that he didn't respond as cheekily as he did the first time Trump lashed out at him.
(I don't know why such a thing exists but ok)
In general I have always found the prayer breakfast to be a very wonderful, healing and uniting force. Trump took a huge dump on it today and I'm so disappointed.
Remember something Obama had poison pills in his administration too. Van Jones was one of them. As far as foreign policy goes Ill look into that one I haven't heard much about that mission.

Clinton has ruined peoples lives over the years because they crossed her.....Do you really believe she wouldn't have done the same?
Just once an answer without deflecting onto an irrelevant party would be WONDERFUL. TALK ABOUT TRUMP. I don't care about your opinion on what someone else is. It's irrelevant and a non-answer. Let's think critically here, people.

Well I'm here. :D I think Trumps order was half cocked and should have been approached differently. The Syrian problem is very complex in the sense that what is the best way to separate the good from the bad? I think both sides need to come together with a solution. You can't have free flow without vetting but you can't be so restrictive you are denying a better way of life.

Oh and Kuwait has just issued travel, immigrant bans from seven majority Muslim countries so its not just America.
Being an immigrant and being a refugee are wildly different things.

Just once an answer without deflecting onto an irrelevant party would be WONDERFUL. TALK ABOUT TRUMP. I don't care about your opinion on what someone else is. It's irrelevant and a non-answer. Let's think critically here, people.

If you don't care about my opinion on Trump why would you care about my opinion on Trump? Unless you want me to somehow agree with you?

I think Trump was not the best choice for the time.....But maybe he was the candidate we needed. Look there is a lot about him I don't like. I don't like his brashness sometimes and I think he should tone it down. His talk about his dick during the debates was :huh::ohmy:

That being said I think the man does care about America but he's not a politician and that is both his strongest and weakest point. The truth is there are checks and balances to keep in check. They did it with Obama and they will do it with Trump.

The left can't always scream SKY IS FALLING! Every time the man does something you don't like. Same as the right couldn't do it with Obama.

The not my president chants are hilarious in one aspect......You may not have voted for him but he is in fact your president.

Well I have a passport that belonged to my grandmother. It has an travel stamp from Germany with a big nazi eagle as part of the stamp. She went to visit family in POLAND 9 months before Germany invaded. I've shown that to friends and some get extremely negative.

Why would you keep that?!

Because its my families history. My grandmother was an aid for General Sikorki who was part of the Exiled Polish govt who Britain set up in the UK after Poland fell. I tell them should I discard it because of what is in it?
Um, what?! Did you just try and make a comparison between an actual piece of family history and a doll?! If so this isn't going to go to well if you can't see the difference.
The Django dolls were something again only meant for collectors. If you don't want to buy them that's fine. Now you say why shouldn't someone be offended by those? What about the movie itself? You don't see anyone screaming OMG that is racist! About the movie do you? I'm not sure how much of a movie fan you are but do you remember the exploitation films of the 70's? Shaft, Coffee etc etc?

I never said, "why shouldn't someone be offended". I said what gives you the right to tell someone else "they shouldn't be offended" two entirely different things. The fact that you can't even pause and try maybe to put yourself in someone else' shoes for a second tells me a lot.

I think the film and the action figure are two entirely different things. Movie about the holocaust has merit, action figures of those wiped out in the holocaust to put on your shelf and collect like they're Barbies, completely tasteless.
I've never seen a Nazi collectors set but yes I can see that being offensive. That is a far cry from a series of figures of characters from a movie. I am not Jewish but I am Polish and my family has seen the horror of the Nazi's. My grandmother hated the Communists more because the Nazi's were taken care of in the end.....The communists were not and they did some horrible things to the Poles under Soviet rule.
This speaks volumes.

If you don't care about my opinion on Trump why would you care about my opinion on Trump? Unless you want me to somehow agree with you?

I think Trump was not the best choice for the time.....But maybe he was the candidate we needed. Look there is a lot about him I don't like. I don't like his brashness sometimes and I think he should tone it down. His talk about his dick during the debates was :huh::ohmy:

That being said I think the man does care about America but he's not a politician and that is both his strongest and weakest point. The truth is there are checks and balances to keep in check. They did it with Obama and they will do it with Trump.

Going to assume that first sentence is meant to say something other than Trump as the first option and answer under that assumption: I don't care what you think about Obama or Hillary when the question is about Trump. You're deflecting and not answering straight up how you feel about particular actions of TRUMP's. I want to know how you feel about him sending a Navy SEAL to their death. I don't want to hear about Obama's drone strikes or Benghazi. The question was about THIS event. It's just as bad if someone had pointed out that Obama's drone strikes may have sucked, but hey look, IRAQ! I don't' excuse it on either side.

What is it about trump that we need? Him being brash? Him insulting Arnold at the PRAYER breakfast? Him insulting the leaders of our allies? Lifting the sanctions on Russia? Bankrupting us to build an impossible wall? What is it exactly we needed because if it was, "oh he's not PC." I don't really see how that has anything to do with running a country. Especially a country that was more or less succeeding up until this point. As for the checks and balances, when Trump fires someone for telling him no, I find it hard to swallow that there will be much checking in place from the Rep-controlled Congress.

If you think Trump cares about anyone but Trump, I'd invite you to do a bit more research into what he's done in the past. Headache's link to the article about the USFL would be a great start.

This speaks volumes.[/QUOTE]

What speaks volumes that my family has fought both fascists and communists? I am very proud of that.

Actually yes I will make the comparison because it doesn't matter what the object was because someone associated it with something bad and it might offend them they want it destroyed.

Lets say it was a German doll my grandfather brought back from serving in Europe or a Luger pistol with waffen marks on it he pulled off a Nazi officer. It might offend someone but its still family history.

On the figures if you don't like it don't buy them......If you recall the figures because they symbolize fictional characters in an actual historical time it still doesn't mean the history gets washed away.

The left can't always scream SKY IS FALLING! Every time the man does something you don't like. Same as the right couldn't do it with Obama.

The not my president chants are hilarious in one aspect......You may not have voted for him but he is in fact your president.

It's not about anyone wanting you to agree with them. It's just poor debating, and it's tiresome.

When I go shopping for a car I want to hear about THIS car, not what the other cars can't do, or where the other cars underwhelm.

Deflection is a sign of not feeling confident in your choice. We've heard all about Obama and Hillary, they are no longer president or running for president. The ONLY time you can bring up Obama or Hillary is if there is an apples to apples comparison and you know with certainty that I or one of us let that issue slide and we didn't with Trump. If you see someone being hypocritical, then it's ok to bring up the past. If not you're just trying not to answer the real question.

What speaks volumes that my family has fought both fascists and communists? I am very proud of that.

NO :banghead: It speaks volumes because you can see where one is offensive, because you can personally speak to the horrors of the Nazis, but you can't see where the other might be offensive because you can't personally relate to the horrors of slavery.

Going to assume that first sentence is meant to say something other than Trump as the first option and answer under that assumption: I don't care what you think about Obama or Hillary when the question is about Trump. You're deflecting and not answering straight up how you feel about particular actions of TRUMP's. I want to know how you feel about him sending a Navy SEAL to their death. I don't want to hear about Obama's drone strikes or Benghazi. The question was about THIS event. It's just as bad if someone had pointed out that Obama's drone strikes may have sucked, but hey look, IRAQ! I don't' excuse it on either side.

What is it about trump that we need? Him being brash? Him insulting Arnold at the PRAYER breakfast? Him insulting the leaders of our allies? Lifting the sanctions on Russia? Bankrupting us to build an impossible wall? What is it exactly we needed because if it was, "oh he's not PC." I don't really see how that has anything to do with running a country. Especially a country that was more or less succeeding up until this point. As for the checks and balances, when Trump fires someone for telling him no, I find it hard to swallow that there will be much checking in place from the Rep-controlled Congress.

If you think Trump cares about anyone but Trump, I'd invite you to do a bit more research into what he's done in the past. Headache's link to the article about the USFL would be a great start.

A. Federal funds are already there for the wall. I already said my view on border security and how it should be handled.

Arnold had insulted him during the election but Trump should have been the bigger man.

I feel the same way I feel about any president who sends men on a mission where they may not come back....Its not to be taken lightly. Do you remember Somalia? Those men and women will go and some may not come back and that is the ultimate sacrifice they pay. How many good soldiers have died because the intelligence wasn't right? I can name quite a few under different presidents both GOP and DNC so don't give me that line. It never makes it right but Trump did do something right he went and met the plane with that soldiers body in it. At the same time pissing the media off because he goes away for a little bit.....The **** business of theirs what he does?

You know of some other presidents who were brash and are now thought of in a positive way? Teddy Roosevelt for one.

You want to know what I think about Trump? I think he is brash. I think he is not a polished politician but I don't want him to be! I want someone who while not perfect wants to do right by the American people. Trump is that person. I know I will not agree with him on everything but I know there are some things I will. The left has to stop being petulant little children and realize we are in this together....Some say Trump wants to burn it all down....I believe because the Democrats lost they want to burn it down.

NO :banghead: It speaks volumes because you can see where one is offensive, because you can personally speak to the horrors of the Nazis, but you can't see where the other might be offensive because you can't personally relate to the horrors of slavery.

That is very close minded.....I can relate to the horrors of slavery.....My mother spent a good part of her life in Africa under colonialism I might add. My point is simply yes it references a not so particularly wonderful part in history but it doesn't mean we should ignore it.

If you don't like it DON'T BUY THE BLOODY THING! There are some things in the market that bother me. I don't like the idea of Walmart selling BLM shirts but I don't go screaming to Bentonville saying "THESE ARE OFFENSIVE YOU NEED TO STOP SELLING THEM!"

I just don't buy them.

A. Federal funds are already there for the wall. I already said my view on border security and how it should be handled.

Arnold had insulted him during the election but Trump should have been the bigger man.

Trump is that person. I know I will not agree with him on everything but I know there are some things I will. The left has to stop being petulant little children and realize we are in this together....Some say Trump wants to burn it all down....I believe because the Democrats lost they want to burn it down.

We just have billions sitting around for a border wall? Billions upon billions upon billions? Can you back that up? Because this is the first I've EVER heard of such a thing.

This is the problem. He's the president. People will talk badly about him. It comes with the territory. If he can't deal with that, how can he deal with other world leaders? We've already seen how he's handled Australia and Mexico. The prayer breakfast of all places, I still can't get over it.

What's something he's done so far that you agree with?

That is very close minded.....I can relate to the horrors of slavery.....My mother spent a good part of her life in Africa under colonialism I might add. My point is simply yes it references a not so particularly wonderful part in history but it doesn't mean we should ignore it.

It's not close minded, it's what you are telling me; you're telling me one you can see being offensive but not the other. It's pure hypocrisy.

And it's not asking anyone to ignore that part of history, quite the opposite, it's saying don't minimize it by making collectable action figures of slaves, slave owners, or Holocaust victims. If you can't see that, then I don't know what else to say.

Federal funds for a wall :lmao: you mean it's just been sitting there all this time? Why hasn't anyone built this motherfucker yet then?!

You want to know what I think about Trump? I think he is brash. I think he is not a polished politician but I don't want him to be! I want someone who while not perfect wants to do right by the American people. Trump is that person. I know I will not agree with him on everything but I know there are some things I will. The left has to stop being petulant little children and realize we are in this together....Some say Trump wants to burn it all down....I believe because the Democrats lost they want to burn it down.

What? The Democrats are essentially rolling over for Trump - or at the very least being accommodating.

Trump only wants to do what's right for himself and himself only.

Rolling back penalties for not having health insurance which was part of Obamacare.

Leaving policies in place put in by Obama to protect the LGBT community
Appointing GENERAL MATHIS to Sec of Defense.

An order instructing agencies that whenever they introduce a regulation, they must first abolish two others. (There are a lot of regulations which are ill thought and idiotic)

An order to lengthen the ban on administration officials working as lobbyists. There is now a 5 year-ban on officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government, and a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

He needs to stop being so thin skinned I agree with you

It's not about anyone wanting you to agree with them. It's just poor debating, and it's tiresome.

When I go shopping for a car I want to hear about THIS car, not what the other cars can't do, or where the other cars underwhelm.

Deflection is a sign of not feeling confident in your choice. We've heard all about Obama and Hillary, they are no longer president or running for president. The ONLY time you can bring up Obama or Hillary is if there is an apples to apples comparison and you know with certainty that I or one of us let that issue slide and we didn't with Trump. If you see someone being hypocritical, then it's ok to bring up the past. If not you're just trying not to answer the real question.

The man has been in office less than a month what would you like me to say? He's done some things I think are good and some are bad. Get back to me with the same question once he's been in a little while. :hug:

Rolling back penalties for not having health insurance which was part of Obamacare.

Leaving policies in place put in by Obama to protect the LGBT community
Appointing GENERAL MATHIS to Sec of Defense.

An order instructing agencies that whenever they introduce a regulation, they must first abolish two others. (There are a lot of regulations which are ill thought and idiotic)

An order to lengthen the ban on administration officials working as lobbyists. There is now a 5 year-ban on officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government, and a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

He needs to stop being so thin skinned I agree with you

1) Fair enough, though the penalties exist for any other kind of no-brainer insurance. Otherwise, people will just continue to go around uninsured and when there's something life-threatening that comes up, it'll be on them, now, I guess. Too bad we don't have a better system.

2) So you mean not doing anything? Don't give him credit for something Obama did, come on.

3) I'd be OK with this if he hadn't broken the rules in order to do it. Or had the rules broken for him, but so much for those checks and balances, right?

3) Don't you think this is a little simple? Like...this is one of those things that sounds obvious on paper, but then it's put into action and suddenly you realize that, hey, these regulations exist for a reason and now I just have to delete two of them? EVERY TIME?

4) We're in agreement on this one. But I want to go further and get rid of the lobbying altogether. Publically funded elections are what this country needs. Not a guy who shoots off his mouth when he feels like it.

5) He needs to grow up is more like it. Still can't believe a grown child is now the president. Absurd.

They have funds in place for border security as well as other funding as part of the federal budget....Is the wall not part of border security?
Again, where are you getting the idea that we're sitting on tens of billions of dollars....Now it just sounds like you're assuming something you want to be true.

Do you have any idea how much the wall will take to build?!

Do you?

BVS I've said repeatedly I think the wall is the wrong approach. I didn't vote for Trump based on the wall. I still think its not the best approach and my view is below.

Strengthen border security.
Hire more BPA. Train them and stand behind them 100%
Strictly enforce the laws in place now.
Put money into newer technology to enforce the laws.
Stop being beholden to MEXICO.....The illegal problem is just as much theirs as it is ours.....Yet we are the ones forced to deal with it while the Mexican govt washes their hands of it...

Do you?

BVS I've said repeatedly I think the wall is the wrong approach. I didn't vote for Trump based on the wall. I still think its not the best approach and my view is below.

Stop being beholden to MEXICO.....The illegal problem is just as much theirs as it is ours.....Yet we are the ones forced to deal with it while the Mexican govt washes their hands of it...
Meanwhile, Trump is still talking about the wall.

That's not what you voted for when you voted for trump, so why did you vote for Trump when you knew that was his plan? He never suggested anything other than a wall.

Do you?

I can agree with you on some of these points. You're right, the wall is a disastrous idea.

1) Fair enough, though the penalties exist for any other kind of no-brainer insurance. Otherwise, people will just continue to go around uninsured and when there's something life-threatening that comes up, it'll be on them, now, I guess. Too bad we don't have a better system.

2) So you mean not doing anything? Don't give him credit for something Obama did, come on. He could have reversed it......Remember that and I am sure some feel he should and they are idiots.

3) I'd be OK with this if he hadn't broken the rules in order to do it. Or had the rules broken for him, but so much for those checks and balances, right?
Did you forget the Republicans are simply using the tools the Democrats put in place when they were in power but now its taboo?

3) Don't you think this is a little simple? Like...this is one of those things that sounds obvious on paper, but then it's put into action and suddenly you realize that, hey, these regulations exist for a reason and now I just have to delete two of them? EVERY TIME?
If you knew anything about how the ATF operates you would sing a different tune believe me.

4) We're in agreement on this one. But I want to go further and get rid of the lobbying altogether. Publically funded elections are what this country needs. Not a guy who shoots off his mouth when he feels like it.
LOL politicians shooting off at the mouth is part of election history.....That is nothing new.....But I know what you mean.

5) He needs to grow up is more like it. Still can't believe a grown child is now the president. Absurd.

See we agree on some things. Not all but some.

Meanwhile, Trump is still talking about the wall.

That's not what you voted for when you voted for trump, so why did you vote for Trump when you knew that was his plan? He never suggested anything other than a wall.

Candidates promise the moon and free ice cream for everyone. It doesn't mean they can deliver on it.

If I was in favor of the wall I would use technology in place already and build around that. Why put new stuff in when you have things already in place? Just strengthen what is there.

Candidates promise the moon and free ice cream for everyone. It doesn't mean they can deliver on it.

If I was in favor of the wall I would use technology in place already and build around that. Why put new stuff in when you have things already in place? Just strengthen what is there.
He's certainly damn intent on trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom