Trump General Discussion VI - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #541
The Fly

Local Time: 10:41 PM
I did read something that made sense to me and was a bit reassuring. The writer stated that Trump has already made America great again, but not for the reasons you might think. The reason why he's made America great again is that we should have been marching awhile back: when the bankers were bailed out, when we lost our 401k's, when Flint happened. We are belatedly waking up to a national crisis, and we are perhaps a better country for this awakening.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #542
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFox View Post
Let's all be clear with these O'Reilly Trump comments. Trump is dismissing Putin being a killer, Putin murders political opponents. Trump is shrugging this Off!
Supporting these sorts of figures has always been a staple of US foreign policy, why would it be any different now?

Old 02-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #543
Blue Crack Addict

exactly. putin is exactly the kind of wannabe autocrat the usa has supported everywhere on earth since world war 2 ended. this is not all that new, really.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #544
Blue Crack Addict

Let's talk about Erdogan, for instance.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #545
Refugee

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Ok, it's taken me days to catch up with this thread but I finally have.
Hello bloodysunday. Thanks for explaining your Trump vote. I appreciate the insight.
As BVS has repeated this isn't a gun thread but I want to take you up on a comment made days ago re NZ gun control. Yes, you can own a gun here. With a license. However you can't carry in public places. Cops don't carry. Yes there is gun crime, yes there are massacres. I know of one 20 years ago. Perhaps there have been more since then I've forgotten about.
What you're doing is incredibly conceited. To imply any alternative to the current situation (and your oft-repeated background checks) is terrible is, well, bonkers. To imply what exists in NZ, Australia and other countries is an overreaction is also bonkers. I have zero fear, zero, of gun crime in NZ. That's nit an exaggeration. Zero fear.
I also have zero fear of being eaten by a lion escaped from a zoo. Though I guess it could happen...

Re Trump, my beef is simply priorities. I abhor hatred. Bullying. People being disadvantaged because of race, gender etc. The march towards irradiating such behaviour is more important to me than the things you seem to have voted for Trump for.
Simply put, you have prioritized Trump's slogans as being more important than basic human rights.

Which, no matter how calmly you speak or how measured you write, makes me think very poorly of you.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:44 AM   #546
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
We would absolutely love for you to come to Canada
hehe thanks i do love Canada, have lots of family there, and visited many years ago as a kid... my son's long-term plan is to move there, so maybe we should just follow him over there anyway haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
there is a big and vibrant french community here in toronto. i'm sure in quebec, even more so. you'd be very welcome here, cass.
that's so lovely! two of our local towns have cultural/education connections with Quebec, and my daughter's university has a student exchange with Quebec, so she is hoping to apply for that in a couple of years... it is so tempting - will really have to look into it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
If you have a job offer in Canada it's not that difficult to get in. Otherwise it's the points system, but the wait is longer if no job offer in hand.
thanks anitram! i worry we might be a bit too old (mid 40s/early 50s) if we went via the points system... but work wise, i work freelance, have an established client base and can work pretty much anywhere as long as i have an internet connection... i will look into self-employment over there - surely can't be as bad as it is in France lol... the thought of a big move, upping sticks and starting again, is pretty daunting though - have done it a fair few times, and finally feels like "home" here, but if the extreme right kick off here, i'm not sure we could stay... so definitely something to think about...
Old 02-06-2017, 01:46 AM   #547
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by headache in a suitcase View Post

#figurehead
wtf?!
Old 02-06-2017, 04:35 AM   #548
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
I enjoy sleeping in. The 9th Circuit is a bit of an outlier in its judicial activism. Onto SCOTUS we go.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Judicial activism. That's an interesting phrasing.
You are sliding into legitimising outright authoritarianism so quickly, you don't even realize it. But you wouldn't be the first to have done so. Countless examples exist, some contemporary, some past. And it works every time again, because too many people are thinking "Not in this time" or "Not in this country", or "Well, he is perfectly right with what he is doing here." And here, and here, and here, and here... until all these single things which seemed so righteous reveal themselves as truly awful not only for those who opposed from the beginning, but also those who initially supported it.

What a lovely fella'

Quote:
The Post piece—which notes that the Trump administration has decided not to appoint a deputy secretary of state for management, giving the sole remaining deputy an enormous amount of influence over both policy and management issues—observes that Abrams was forced to plead guilty to deliberately misleading Congress regarding his nefarious role in the Iran-contra scandal.

As assistant secretary of state for human rights, Abrams sought to ensure that General Efraín Ríos Montt, Guatemala’s then-dictator, could carry out “acts of genocide”—those are the legally binding words of Guatemala’s United Nations–backed Commission for Historical Clarification—against the indigenous people in the Ixil region of the department of Quiché, without any pesky interference from human-rights organizations, much less the US government.

As the mass killings were taking place, Abrams fought in Congress for military aid to Ríos Montt’s bloody regime. He credited the murderous dictator with having “brought considerable progress” on human-rights issues. Abrams even went so far as to insist that “the amount of killing of innocent civilians is being reduced step by step” before demanding that Congress provide the regime with advanced arms because its alleged “progress need[ed] to be rewarded and encouraged.”

Promoted to assistant secretary of state for inter-American affairs, Abrams repeatedly denounced the continued protests by organizations seeking to call attention to the mass murders of both Ríos Montt and the no less bloodthirsty President Vinicio Cerezo Arévalo, who came to power fewer than three years later. In one village during the latter’s reign, “the army herded the entire population into the courthouse, raped the women, beheaded the men, and took the children outside to smash them to death against rocks,” according to Inevitable Revolutions, Walter LaFeber’s classic history of the United States in Central America. At the time, a leader of the Guatemalan Mutual Support Group (an organization of mothers of the disappeared), her brother, and her 3-year-old son were found dead in their wrecked car. Abrams not only supported the nonsensical official explanation (there was “no evidence indicating other than that the deaths were due to an accident”), he also denounced a spokeswoman for the group who demanded an investigation, insisting that she had “no right to call herself a human rights worker.” When The New York Times published an op-ed challenging the official State Department count of the mass murders under way—by a woman who had witnessed a death-squad-style assassination in broad daylight in Guatemala City without ever seeing it mentioned in the press—Abrams lied outright in a letter to the editor, even citing an imaginary story in a nonexistent newspaper to insist that the man’s murder had, in fact, been reported.
https://www.thenation.com/article/an...king-diplomat/
Old 02-06-2017, 05:03 AM   #549
War Child

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Let's talk about Erdogan, for instance.
That one is more of an alliance for mutual benefit. He may be a killer but as long as he says he supports our foreign policy we are OK with him.

Kinda funny the way our politics works with other countries. Turkey is one of those I just don't get sometimes.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:10 AM   #550
War Child

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Ok, it's taken me days to catch up with this thread but I finally have.
Hello bloodysunday. Thanks for explaining your Trump vote. I appreciate the insight.
As BVS has repeated this isn't a gun thread but I want to take you up on a comment made days ago re NZ gun control. Yes, you can own a gun here. With a license. However you can't carry in public places. Cops don't carry. Yes there is gun crime, yes there are massacres. I know of one 20 years ago. Perhaps there have been more since then I've forgotten about.
What you're doing is incredibly conceited. To imply any alternative to the current situation (and your oft-repeated background checks) is terrible is, well, bonkers. To imply what exists in NZ, Australia and other countries is an overreaction is also bonkers. I have zero fear, zero, of gun crime in NZ. That's nit an exaggeration. Zero fear.
I also have zero fear of being eaten by a lion escaped from a zoo. Though I guess it could happen...

Re Trump, my beef is simply priorities. I abhor hatred. Bullying. People being disadvantaged because of race, gender etc. The march towards irradiating such behaviour is more important to me than the things you seem to have voted for Trump for.
Simply put, you have prioritized Trump's slogans as being more important than basic human rights.

Which, no matter how calmly you speak or how measured you write, makes me think very poorly of you.
Kiwi with respect you can think whatever you want of me. That is your opinion. Ironically enough I have another friend who is former NZDF and has a massive gun collection and shoots quite regularly. I've been made fully aware of the laws in NZ and the costs involved......While better than Australia they are still insane.....Still better though. I want to get away from the gun control topic because this isn't the place for it. It came up because I feel the 2nd is important and Trump had a pro 2nd platform unlike Hillary so it was one of the reasons I voted for him.

I've stated why I voted for Trump but I have no problem voting against him in 2020 if he doesn't do a good job. Its a shaky start but he has done some good things as well.

In regards to the judge blocking the order I have a feeling we will see a lot of this because it was part of President Obama's game plan to stack the deck of the lower courts with liberal judges. They would have gone to the Supreme Court but well....That ain't gonna happen now.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:32 AM   #551
45:33

Local Time: 02:41 PM
What really fucking disappoints me about people like Oregoropa is I really thought they had actual principles. I really thought these conservatives were, even if I didn't agree with them, still just that: conservatives.

I may not have agreed with David Cameron, but I think he epitomised what a modern conservative should be: humble, willing to admit when he was wrong, open to new ideas: "I don't support gay marriage in spite of being a conservative, I support gay marriage because I am a conservative".

But so many of them have shown themselves for what they really are: nationalist populists who have a flimsy excuse ready when they're asked if, and why, they support Trump's actions and quotes.

I am very obviously a bleeding heart leftie, but I always did have a begrudging respect for conservatives who were principled. Not prone to or moved by childish hype. At least they are true to themselves.

But nearly every single one of them is now just a Trump echo, acting like schoolgirls when a cute new boy starts at school, falling over themselves to praise Trump, to use his phrases.

I thought you guys had your principles. It's really fucking sad to learn that's not the case. You all put up a facade and as soon as Trump came along we learned who you really are.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #552
Blue Crack Addict

I'd like it if you responded to my posts on the previous page, bloodysunday. I like a good, intellectual debate.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #553
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodysunday972 View Post

In regards to the judge blocking the order I have a feeling we will see a lot of this because it was part of President Obama's game plan to stack the deck of the lower courts with liberal judges. They would have gone to the Supreme Court but well....That ain't gonna happen now.

Nice try. It was a Bush appointed judge.

But don't let facts get in the way, it's obvious you're going to do anything to justify and normalize this administration. Pathetic.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:15 AM   #554
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent vega View Post
judicial activism. That's an interesting phrasing.

You are sliding into legitimising outright authoritarianism so quickly, you don't even realize it. But you wouldn't be the first to have done so. Countless examples exist, some contemporary, some past. And it works every time again, because too many people are thinking "not in this time" or "not in this country", or "well, he is perfectly right with what he is doing here." and here, and here, and here, and here... Until all these single things which seemed so righteous reveal themselves as truly awful not only for those who opposed from the beginning, but also those who initially supported it.

this
Old 02-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #555
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Trump General Discussion VI

I've noticed recently the disturbing lengths Trump supporters are going to to normalize and legitimize his behavior and Bannon's agenda.

We've seen in here a rewriting of everything Orwellian so that it can't apply to the right. Then I saw recently they are blaming Google for rewriting the definition of fascism to include 'far right' in its meaning. They're completely redefining the political spectrum. And now we are seeing people who's educational extent of the law is having watched an episode of Law & Order attacking the legislative branch as a whole.

It's scary. I think for some they've just fallen in line, others I think may see it on a subconscious level, and others have always wanted this.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #556
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
We've seen in here a rewriting of everything Orwellian so that it can't apply to the right.
Speaking of Orwell. This is a very good read:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-orwell-huxley
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 02-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #557
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

If I don't like it, it's fake:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5925.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	11081
Old 02-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #558
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
Speaking of Orwell. This is a very good read:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-orwell-huxley

Excellent.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #559
you are what you is

Quote:
If I don't like it, it's fake:

Attachment 11081
Come on BVS
Bow to your all-knowing leader
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 02-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #560
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I've noticed recently the disturbing lengths Trump supporters are going to to normalize and legitimize his behavior and Bannon's agenda.

We've seen in here a rewriting of everything Orwellian so that it can't apply to the right. Then I saw recently they are blaming Google for rewriting the definition of fascism to include 'far right' in its meaning. They're completely redefining the political spectrum. And now we are seeing people who's educational extent of the law is having watched an episode of Law & Order attacking the legislative branch as a whole.

It's scary. I think for some they've just fallen in line, others I think may see it on a subconscious level, and others have always wanted this.
It feels like there's been a clear further drift to the right, with a normalisation of political stances that wouldn't have been as 'open' in the fairly recent past.