Trump General Discussion V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to decide if all the conservatives I know were actually as level-headed as I thought they were, or if they were always huge arseholes just waiting for someone like Trump to normalise their true, heretofore unspoken wants.

I am trying to decide if all the conservatives I know were actually as level-headed as I thought they were, or if they were always huge arseholes just waiting for someone like Trump to normalise their true, heretofore unspoken wants.

Neither. They're probably average folks and they adhere to sports team politics.

is it wrong to unfriend the few vocal Trump supporters on my Facebook? well, it's too late, i have done so - my tolerance levels are very low right now, and i don't want to see that kind of thing in my "bubble"

i feel this has gone beyond simple politics, and is a human issue

do you think there were Hitler supporters who supported his economic policies, but just turned a blind eye to genocide? because, i'm wondering, how low can these people go?

So whitehouse.gov has removed any mention of the third branch of government from its website. When I first saw reports of this, I thought for sure this was fear-mongering or rehashing a bad source, but nope, I went to the website, and sure enough, under Our Government, where it used to start with Executive Branch, Legislative Branch and Judicial Branch, now it only lists the executive and legislative.

Just a minor oversight, I'm sure.

I think - think - he just has a shitty web team that didn't know how to get ready to edit it for his Supreme Court nominee without disabling the page outright. I put nothing past this administration at this point, of course, but my guess is that page is back live shortly after he announces the nominee tomorrow night.

How ignorant can Trumps Twitter get?! What an embarrassment for the country that he is president! Meanwhile the official. POTUS account is retreating the nonsense WTF?!
It looks like he's losing it even more on Twitter.

Blaming Delta computers and Senator Schumer's tears for the mess at airports is one of the most stupidest things I've ever heard of. How will his protesters react to a tweet of his that actually tells the truth?

Blaming Delta computers and Senator Schumer's tears for the mess at airports is one of the most stupidest things I've ever heard of. How will his protesters react to a tweet of his that actually tells the truth?
He just can't take the slightest criticism or protest. The protests need to be kept up and with increased intensity, he'll fold at some point.

A new American tradition is to wake up, check Twitter, and find out what crazy statement has been made by its leader.

is it wrong to unfriend the few vocal Trump supporters on my Facebook? well, it's too late, i have done so - my tolerance levels are very low right now, and i don't want to see that kind of thing in my "bubble"

do you think there were Hitler supporters who supported his economic policies, but just turned a blind eye to genocide? because, i'm wondering, how low can these people go?

nah, i've been doing that since he won the republican nomination.

unless you're family or a very close friend, if you stated support for trump, you got the ol' boot. thankfully the members of my family who i know voted for him don't really post on facebook, and the one close friend who i know did... well... i just do my best to stay civil.

Neither. They're probably average folks and they adhere to sports team politics.
Sometimes, but it's definitely not fair to blanket all conservatives in with a Republicans, or any kind of blanket statement of that kind.

And before anyone calls me a hypocrite because I've said such things about all people who voted for Trump, that's another conversation in my mind.
https://mic.com/articles/166845/the...mpiled-by-the-obama-administration#.Aby2ECm9B

That's actually true. As a German citizen, I could normally enter the US for up to three months requiring no visa. But because I've been to Iraq in the past five years, I now need to obtain a visa. That policy came under Obama. I wasn't aware that the countries were exactly the same as which are now banned. It was an ill-advised response to terror acts. If it was in order to appease people on the right, or because he genuinely thought that was a reasonable thing to do, I don't know.

However, I'm a bit tired of the intellectual laziness of evaluating each action and decision by Trump as if they were made in complete isolation of each other. Context is key, and in politics this holds true as well. You look at the person Trump and his history, you look at the people he surrounds himself with and their history (where Bannon features prominently), and you look at all the decisions he has made and how he has justified them in the past, or how a person like Bannon has promoted these very ideas through his medium over the years.

It's all too popular a tactic by his supporters to try and focus the debate on each topic individually, which should be challenged thoroughly.

Let me illustrate by a prominent example from Germany's history: Defendents of Hitler would like to say, "But he built the Autobahn system!" While it's true that he pushed forward the plans and turned them into reality, you cannot ignore the context and his underlying strategy. The decision to build the Autobahn in isolation can be well explained. But to ignore that he had them built in preparation of the conquest of Europe, and ignoring all other policies of his is trying to rewrite history.

(Disclaimer: This purely serves as an example. I don't want to open up the "Is Trump fascist, and if so, who does he most closely resemble?" debate again.)
They're two very different acts, though, but I appreciate the insight.

He just can't take the slightest criticism or protest. The protests need to be kept up and with increased intensity, he'll fold at some point.

i don't see him folding.

it will take impeachment to get rid of him - which will take bipartisan support. he hasn't done enough to erode enough GOP congresspersons yet. i feel that he will, but it won't be over issues like this - it'll be when his failed economic policies and potential trade wars start to negatively effect large corporations.

surely there's enough in the emoluments clause violations to start looking into hearings already - but without at least some GOP support it'll go absolutely nowhere.

The GOP can't stand him right now, but no one wants to say anything publicly until it's clear that he won't just steamroll people. The Muslim Ban was done without consulting anyone outside of his inner circle, and plenty of people in government are pissed about it.

I Unfriended a few! I couldn't stand their constant praising of trump on Facebook! Or the fact they would attack me when I posted something negative about trump. Fuck it!

Last edited:
The GOP can't stand him right now, but no one wants to say anything publicly until it's clear that he won't just steamroll people. The Muslim Ban was done without consulting anyone outside of his inner circle, and plenty of people in government are pissed about it.

they won't do anything until it's clear they won't upset their constituents at home, because most of these people are complete cowards.

that's the big one - and again comes to economics, not Muslim bans - as the hardcore trump base is probably just hunky dory with these actions (as we've seen here).

there is, of course, the 25th amendment... but it would be hard to prove mental illness. he'd have to do something so over the top as to remove all doubt. like, say, repeat any of the things he said about the use of nuclear weapons during the campaign.

I also find it disgusting after reading an article about the Quebec mosque shootings then seeing the comments about it, most commenters were blaming Muslims about the shooting. And a few even were saying that they deserved it! Some were blaming our PM for letting refugees in! Totally disgusting!

Last edited:
Pat Toomey just got re-elected and has stopped going to all public appearances in PA. He's allowed all of his phone numbers to be inaccessible as the voicemail boxes all go full. It'll be four years before he has to give a single shit about his constituents.

Also, did we talk about how Trump is afraid of stairs?

nah, i've been doing that since he won the republican nomination.

unless you're family or a very close friend, if you stated support for trump, you got the ol' boot. thankfully the members of my family who i know voted for him don't really post on facebook, and the one close friend who i know did... well... i just do my best to stay civil.

I Unfriended a few! I couldn't stand their constant praising of trump on Facebook! Or the fact they would attack me when I posted something negative about trump. Fuck it!

thanks! :heart:

this has been difficult since the run-up to Brexit, close family members so been a very difficult decision... weird thing is i never found them to be quite so offensive (difficult, yes, but manageable) until they joined Facebook and started sharing extreme right wing/racist stuff, and now other family members (born again bible bashing christians) are showing themselves to be Trump supporters, which is hilarious as we are a family of immigrants...

I have a Facebook account, but I barely ever pop in there, so I've thankfully been able to avoid any Trump supporter stuff there. I know a few of my relatives are Trump supporters, and I've heard their opinions already when we had family gatherings within the past year. That's all the more I need to hear.

Do we know if the White House has condemned the terrorist attack against Muslims in their place of worship in Quebec?

Do we know if the White House has condemned the terrorist attack against Muslims in their place of worship in Quebec?

I saw many stupid tweets from trump today attacking delta etc etc, not ONE single tweet expressing condolences or anything! But come on this is trump, to express condolences is to admit that there is hatred against Muslims mostly caused by him! This guy is a fucking pig! Sorry I didn't mean to insult pigs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom