Trump General Discussion V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hope the Adminstration has thought about pro sports, very important to some of us :shifty:

NBA reached out to State Department in wake of President Trump’s immigration ban | ProBasketballTalk

The NBA’s primary concern was simple: If Deng or Maker traveled to Toronto for a game, or went to Africa as part of the NBA’s Basketball Without Borders program next summer, could they re-enter the country?

Deng came to this country at the age of five from the Sudan and has British citizenship, Maker played his high school ball in the USA and Canada and carries an Australian passport. Because of those facts their situation may be different from others trying to enter the country, but the NBA understandably wanted clarification.

We are already considering cancelling our trip to California in March.

We both have very highly privileged jobs and there is no way they can have any information from my personal or work cell phone. If this passes, we're not going to the US so long as Trump is president and this is in existence.

Enjoy being the pariah of the world, Oregoropa and bobsaget and all the rest of you.

NO PLEASE DON'T DO IT. This country needs you to be here! We won't survive without your highly privileged vacation money.
I've now realized the enormous mistake that I made voting for this guy. I'm so sorry.

NO PLEASE DON'T DO IT. This country needs you to be here! We won't survive without your highly privileged vacation money.
I've now realized the enormous mistake that I made voting for this guy. I'm so sorry.

You're not funny.

And you're ignorant if you don't acknowledge how an individual's decision might be indicative of setbacks to tourism industries nationwide.

been wondering about the Joshua Tree Tour with all this - how long before they get closed down if they do anything provocative? (if they don't boycott the US that is)

They're documented Christians (three of them anyway), so theoretically they should be fine.

Plus, they're white and rich. Anti-Irish immigration bans are so last century.

Wow just wow! You may not care about other people or tourism but facts are facts! Tourism is a big part of the economy to the states and I can assure you many more people outside of the USA are thinking of not visiting the USA myself included (atleast until trump is out). If you haven't heard that will hurt your economy!

been wondering about the Joshua Tree Tour with all this - how long before they get closed down if they do anything provocative? (if they don't boycott the US that is)

i hate bringing U2 discussion into FYM... but if there's any truth to this "foreigners will be asked for their social media, cell phone contacts, etc" bullshit... i mean honestly, would you still come here and be subjected to that nonsense? i know i wouldn't.

And if it is true that visitors may be required to hand their cell phones and social media info to costumes that is a clear invasion of privacy and you bet I will not step foot into the USA. And living only 15 minute drive from the USA I visit a lot and many of my vacations are to the USA! Which is a shame because I love the USA but if this is what will be required to get in, I want no part of it.

i hate bringing U2 discussion into FYM... but if there's any truth to this "foreigners will be asked for their social media, cell phone contacts, etc" bullshit... i mean honestly, would you still come here and be subjected to that nonsense? i know i wouldn't.
Exactly! You typed that as I was typing my last comment. I will never go there if I am forced to give my cell phone and social media info to team trump.

And if it is true that visitors may be required to hand their cell phones and social media info to costumes that is a clear invasion of privacy and you bet I will not step foot into the USA. And living only 15 minute drive from the USA I visit a lot and many of my vacations are to the USA! Which is a shame because I love the USA but if this is what will be required to get in, I want no part of it.

this exactly. i live less than 2 hours from the border and visit the states at least a couple times every year for various reasons. no way i'm crossing the border even once if this rule is put in place. i'll go to europe or mexico for vacation instead.

The direct contribution of Travel & Tourism to GDP was US$458.0bn (2.6% of total GDP) in 2014, and is forecast to rise by 3.0% in 2015, and to rise by 3.8% pa, from 2015-2025, to US$684.6bn (3.0% of total GDP) in 2025.

a moderate to major decline in international tourism to the United States would be roughly equivalent to a small recession.

after 9/11, when tourism suffered, the government had to issue $15 billion dollars in loans to keep the airline industry from going under, which would have put hundreds of thousands of people out of work.

but hey... who cares. we're making america great again. we'll be winning so much, nobody will notice.

Yeah, man! Let's make sure white, educated, "privileged" people stay far away from our country! Who needs em? The factory's gonna be coming back from China any day now and then we'll all be rich, just like Trump said!

Fuck school! Maga!

a moderate to major decline in international tourism to the United States would be roughly equivalent to a small recession.

after 9/11, when tourism suffered, the government had to issue $15 billion dollars in loans to keep the airline industry from going under, which would have put hundreds of thousands of people out of work.

but hey... who cares. we're making america great again. we'll be winning so much, nobody will notice.

And I'm sure that losing hundreds of billions of dollars in revenue from the tourism industry would go along swimmingly with a 20% import tax to pay for a $20 billion border wall, combined with an economic war against China. The numbers all add up so well!

I have to say that I also made a conscious decision a few weeks ago not to go to the US this year. I'll be seeing the U2 Joshua Tree 30 tour in Canada. I'm not even attempting to visit the US, not with all that's going on currently. And though still anecdotal, a friend of mine who has visited the US at least once every year for the past 20+ years has vowed not to visit as long as Trump is in power. As I said, this is just anecdotal and I'm not suggesting the two of us signal a clear trend. But people do skip the US with Trump doing all these things.

man, i'm so sick of everything being trump trump trump.

s9B1uaN.jpg

And I'm sure that losing hundreds of billions of dollars in revenue from the tourism industry would go along swimmingly with a 20% import tax to pay for a $20 billion border wall, combined with an economic war against China. The numbers all add up so well!

"A 120-day suspension of the U.S. refugee program and a 90-day ban on travel to the United States by citizens of Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen"

....leading to hundreds of billions in overall tourism losses is quite pessimistic. Almost beyond speculation.

If and when we have government agents scrubbing every visitor's mobile and social media history, maybe you'll have something with those kind of numbers :shrug:

Michael Moore @MMFlint
From President Trump to Donald Dump. Vegas oddsmakers place 4 to 1 odds it'll take only six months.

Ha, does anyone think this could actually happen that quickly? Would President Pence, a past conversion therapy supporter, be better?

If he is impeached by a GOP led congress, which I don't think will happen but you never know, I wonder if that would anger Trump voters into turning against them. They likely wouldn't turn democrat though (well, some might in certain states), I'm not sure what they'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom