Trump General Discussion V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its funny how before Trump was the nominee, he was blasted by Republicans for things like this ban. Including Mike Pence who tweeted in fall 2015 that "Calls to ban all Muslims from entering US are illegal and unconstitutional."

Politics as usual. They're scared if they oppose Trump now that he won, that they'll lose his voters in their next elections. To be fair, Democrats do the same thing. I get the political game...but some issues like this one really stand out.

As a side note, people are suddenly looking back at Bush with more fondness. Despite the awful Iraq war, people are realizing at least he was a steady hand so to speak.

Last edited:
It's not just Bush. That was just recent history. It's been a very long time since this nation has seen a really loose trigger like this, who is playing totally out of bounds.

In fact, just hours after Donald Trump was sworn in as president, the White House website touted a misleading crime statistic. On a page entitled "Standing Up For Our Law Enforcement Community," the White House bemoaned the "dangerous anti-police atmosphere in America" and that "killings have risen by 50 percent" in Washington, D.C.

There were 135 homicides in the nation's capital — a 17 percent decrease from the previous year, according to D.C. metro data from 2016. In a statement to VICE News, the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department also pointed out that violent crime overall dropped by 10 percent last year.

It's possible that the Trump administration mistakenly cited an old statistic — in 2015, murders increased by approximately 50 percent from the previous year. That year, however, was an outlier in a steady two-decade decline in violent crime in the district. Regardless, the White House website was amended Wednesday morning to say instead that "killings have risen by 50 percent in the past four years."

"I can't think of a time in my adult life where the White House puts something out and you start with wondering if there's any truthful basis for it," said Philip Stinson, a professor of criminology at Bowling Green State University who has collected extensive data about police misconduct. "It's bizarre that the facts don't matter, science doesn't matter, and good data doesn't matter. There seems to be a very cavalier attitude [in the White House] for the purpose of creating confusion."

Other statistics cited by the White House fail to tell the whole truth. "In 2015, homicides increased by 17 percent in America's fifty largest cities," the same page reads. "That's the largest increase in 25 years." PolitiFact did the math, however, and determined this statement to be "mostly true." Homicides did spike in 2015, and preliminary FBI data for the first half of 2016 also reflect an increase in overall violent crime — but those figures fail to convey the broader downward trend in violence over the past two decades.

"It's very misleading to point to outliers and use them to make a point," Stinson said. "It sets a dangerous precedent, and that's what everyone's worried about."

[...]

"I don't know if you could accuse them of fudging, but there's no 'carnage' here," James Lynch, former director of the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

[...]

"We're still talking about historically low murder rates," Lynch said.

https://news.vice.com/article/the-white-house-is-already-skewing-crime-stats-to-fit-trumps-agenda

True. I mean, Bill Clinton got impeached for lying about giving a handjob which really had no effect on the country. I was young but remember what a big story that was, and it seemed so ridiculous. Were things going so well that lying about a handjob caused such hysteria? Talk about "morals" and "Character" is what led to Republicans wanting that. And now they have Trump representing them...how funny things change.

What will Trump get away with? They've already lied about numerous things, some stupid things like crowd sizes which also have no effect on the country, but its only been a week.

Trump might possibly be a danger to our country. Obama, Bushes, Clinton, Reagan weren't perfect...but by far they weren't dangerous. How can we be sure he won't start a pointless war with Iran because of his own ego?

Last edited:
If he released his Tax Returns, would we be able to see how much money he made in the past from his business in Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, etc? He doesn't care about Americans, he cares about his ego and $$$. But I think his supporters will eat this up anyway and ignore his bias towards certain countries that have padded his bank account.

As a side note I think when it comes to refugees you do need a system in place, not just to make sure they aren't linked to ISIS, but to integrate them successfully, something other countries like Germany and France have struggled with. They accepted thousands of them and didn't know how to handle it. And yes, some ISIS supporters got in, a small number. You have people who don't speak the language, will struggle to find work & money, have different beliefs, etc suddenly thrown into a whole other world so to speak. I understand you can't just plop them down, but our politicians should be thinking up a way to make it work rather than arguing all the time. Its sort of like how we have issues taking care of some of our own veterans and homeless. Nothing changes because they don't work it out.

I guess we are gonna be playing the waiting game for Iran to make the first move until Trump finally gets serious and declares an official war, or rather let Iran do it first.

A travel ban from a country where US citizens are already afraid to go doesn't sound like war to me.

Aside from Trump being a garbage person, this refugee ban makes no sense.

Anybody who is at all familiar with US immigration law, particularly as it relates to asylum seekers (those already on US soil) and refugees applying for status from camps/wherever abroad would know that it's like a million times easier to get into the US pretty much any other way than as a refugee. What terrorist would waste years sitting in squalor with starving women and children on the off chance that he gets papers down the line? Have we abandoned all common sense?

It's a racist bone he's throwing to his supporters. Disgusting too, for them all I will say the same thing I used to say to people opposing gay marriage - I hope that your live long enough to see your children ashamed of what you've done.

I'm getting genuinely concerned -- I have a fairly major trip coming up late this week that will involve travel to two Muslim countries. Not to any of the "banned" countries, but I'm genuinely concerned that my passport may make my life much more difficult.

Granted, there are much more important things to worry about. But still.

What an asshole.

I'm definitely keeping a low profile even in England (20% Muslim here in Leicester). I feel like a target because of that Orange creep.

trump is who we thought he was - a xenophobic, racist asshole.

it's the republican leadership who are the real cowards in this tragedy - mcconnell, ryan, and yes, pence - sitting around and letting it all happen so that you can get some favorable policy decisions, rather than standing up for what you know is right and stated as such during the campaign.

My sister's boyfriend works at JFK, and just sent me a text about how the secondary screening rooms are full of people who they have to deport simply because they are coming from the countries that have been banned. He's really distraught, and I feel for him, but he has to follow orders.

I also know a few people with green cards who will be traveling outside of the U.S. during the next few days, and are very, very worried about what will happen to them when they try to enter a different country or return to the States.

His supporters can defend his policies and actions all they want, but I think President Trump has no idea as to what the fuck he has done. This is only damaging the reputation of the United States, and it will only get worse if this becomes permanent for the duration of his presidency.

C3ReWexWEAAL6WQ.jpg
#totban

That's not how it works. You guys lost and now you must get back in line. Keep begging --- it will change nothing.

:eyebrow:

Unless I missed an answer back to me which can happen more easily when you are playing catch-up on free WiFi when u don't have internet at home ...
none of you Trumpets have the question I keep asking.

IF it had been Madame President Hillary Rodham Clinton up there giving her Inaugural Speech instead how many of you would have been match on DC with your guns, rifles, and semiautomatics against her that day and the day after., his h?!?!

(the anarchists who smashed and burned things up that day were vile... so you can't call me a hypocrite)

Get back in line?
If you are serious , then (sorry dieman)
stfu, Bob!

My sister's boyfriend works at JFK, and just sent me a text about how the secondary screening rooms are full of people who they have to deport simply because they are coming from the countries that have been banned. He's really distraught, and I feel for him, but he has to follow orders.

I also know a few people with green cards who will be traveling outside of the U.S. during the next few days, and are very, very worried about what will happen to them when they try to enter a different country or return to the States.

His supporters can defend his policies and actions all they want, but I think President Trump has no idea as to what the fuck he has done. This is only damaging the reputation of the United States, and it will only get worse if this becomes permanent for the duration of his presidency.

This is so disturbing (what that dumbhat has done) This kind of indisgriminate action just helps create more terrorists!

Sorry about your Sis's boyfriend

Started hearing this on NPR earlier.... reprehensible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom