Trump General Discussion V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally fake. Easy way to get followers is to just lure some liberals in with fake news.
Just wondering, why have you got a Coldplay song and album in your favourite U2 song and album section in your profile?

I firmly believe every single one of those accounts are fake.

I imagine the EPA one was real. That's about it. Nothing shocks me about a rogue environmentalist who is mad that the orange man barred them from communicating.

But there's not some "underground Trump resistance."

Serious question. Is Trump trolling with Finding Dory? Or is it just coincidence he chooses a family movie about family reunions across continents..
Cause if he's trolling, and I'm inclined to believe he is, then that's a whole new level of nasty.

So whitehouse.gov has removed any mention of the third branch of government from its website. When I first saw reports of this, I thought for sure this was fear-mongering or rehashing a bad source, but nope, I went to the website, and sure enough, under Our Government, where it used to start with Executive Branch, Legislative Branch and Judicial Branch, now it only lists the executive and legislative.

Just a minor oversight, I'm sure.

If enough people are angry enough and make enough sacrifices, then surely.
That's where these protests might lead. If the protest numbers rise and people stop work to protest, effecting the economy, then congress will surely need to act.
I suspect as long as the protests are 'free time' movements they won't care.

I also wonder what it will take for countries like mine to act. Sanctions, embargoes etc. Will our economy fail? To a point. It'll certainly suffer. But that's what Trump seems to be banking on - no one will fuck with the US cause the US is so big and powerful, especially as a market.
But if little countries accepted the hit and stood up for their beliefs...

What's the judicial branch?

Are we worried because it means they will just run the show with nothing to hold them accountable? Is that what 'judicial branch' was?

What's the judicial branch?

Are we worried because it means they will just run the show with nothing to hold them accountable? Is that what 'judicial branch' was?

There are three branches of government -- the executive (POTUS), Congress (House + Senate) and SCOTUS (at present 8 justices). They all serve as "checks and balances" on each other. SCOTUS has the power to overturn laws passed by Congress and signed by the president is they find them unconstitutional (great example: Defense of Marriage Act, which Bill Clinton hoped SCOTUS would overturn even though he signed the law in 1996).

The branch is also comprised of state and circuit courts, and cases have to go through those before they will be heard by SCOTUS. It's an entire branch of government that makes certain laws are not in violation of the Consirution, which changes As society progresses (i.e., racist school segregation).

i hate bringing U2 discussion into FYM... but if there's any truth to this "foreigners will be asked for their social media, cell phone contacts, etc" bullshit... i mean honestly, would you still come here and be subjected to that nonsense? i know i wouldn't.

The risk for a foreigner visiting the US to be asked just that has been exisiting for a number of years now. But I think those cases have been rare, thus far.
However, if the likelihood vastly increases, it will make a lot of people feel uncomfortable about visiting a "leader of the free world" kind of country that is more restrictive than Iran or China.

We just need to figure out what's going on. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it in 120 days.

And in the next Executive Order: "I order the world to stop spinning until we have figured out what the hell is going on with this global warming (which to me is just a Chinese hoax)."

Meet Joseph Francis Dunford Jr., the amateur who had to make way for Bannon on the Security Council:

Joseph Francis Dunford Jr. (born December 8, 1955) is a United States Marine Corps general. He is currently the 19th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.[2] He was also the 36th Commandant of the Marine Corps. Dunford is the first Marine Corps officer to serve in four different four-star positions; the others include commander of the International Security Assistance Force and United States Forces-Afghanistan from February 2013 until August 2014,[3] and as the 32nd Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps from October 23, 2010, to December 15, 2012. He has also commanded several units, including the 5th Marine Regiment during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. As Chairman, Dunford is the highest-ranking military officer in the United States Armed Forces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Dunford

How, though, did the Trump administration choose these seven Muslim-majority countries? The truth is it didn't: The countries were chosen during Barack Obama's presidency.

According to the draft copy of Trump's executive order, the countries whose citizens are barred entirely from entering the United States is based on a bill that Obama signed into law in December 2015.

Obama signed the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act as part of an omnibus spending bill. The legislation restricted access to the Visa Waiver Program, which allows citizens from 38 countries who are visiting the United States for less than 90 days to enter without a visa.

https://mic.com/articles/166845/the...mpiled-by-the-obama-administration#.Aby2ECm9B

That's actually true. As a German citizen, I could normally enter the US for up to three months requiring no visa. But because I've been to Iraq in the past five years, I now need to obtain a visa. That policy came under Obama. I wasn't aware that the countries were exactly the same as which are now banned. It was an ill-advised response to terror acts. If it was in order to appease people on the right, or because he genuinely thought that was a reasonable thing to do, I don't know.

However, I'm a bit tired of the intellectual laziness of evaluating each action and decision by Trump as if they were made in complete isolation of each other. Context is key, and in politics this holds true as well. You look at the person Trump and his history, you look at the people he surrounds himself with and their history (where Bannon features prominently), and you look at all the decisions he has made and how he has justified them in the past, or how a person like Bannon has promoted these very ideas through his medium over the years.

It's all too popular a tactic by his supporters to try and focus the debate on each topic individually, which should be challenged thoroughly.

Let me illustrate by a prominent example from Germany's history: Defendents of Hitler would like to say, "But he built the Autobahn system!" While it's true that he pushed forward the plans and turned them into reality, you cannot ignore the context and his underlying strategy. The decision to build the Autobahn in isolation can be well explained. But to ignore that he had them built in preparation of the conquest of Europe, and ignoring all other policies of his is trying to rewrite history.

(Disclaimer: This purely serves as an example. I don't want to open up the "Is Trump fascist, and if so, who does he most closely resemble?" debate again.)

Serious question. Is Trump trolling with Finding Dory? Or is it just coincidence he chooses a family movie about family reunions across continents..
Cause if he's trolling, and I'm inclined to believe he is, then that's a whole new level of nasty.

Is he smart enough to do that?

i believe he is a game player, like to sow confusion and mess with people on a huge scale - Putin also uses the same tactics, i believe he has an adviser from an avant garde theatre background, can't remember his name, but uses divide and rule, one moment actually supporting protesters, to fuck with their heads - check out the BBC documentary Hypernormalization if you can...

i wouldn't be surprised if some of these fake accounts were actually an elaborate game to reel people in - nearly got me going haha

Last edited:
So whitehouse.gov has removed any mention of the third branch of government from its website. When I first saw reports of this, I thought for sure this was fear-mongering or rehashing a bad source, but nope, I went to the website, and sure enough, under Our Government, where it used to start with Executive Branch, Legislative Branch and Judicial Branch, now it only lists the executive and legislative.

Just a minor oversight, I'm sure.

I guess we're leaving it up to the states :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom