Trump General Discussion V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All foreign visitors may be asked for social media info and cell phone contacts.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/825706570453487616

Say goodbye to the US tourist trade!

We are already considering cancelling our trip to California in March.

We both have very highly privileged jobs and there is no way they can have any information from my personal or work cell phone. If this passes, we're not going to the US so long as Trump is president and this is in existence.

Enjoy being the pariah of the world, Oregoropa and bobsaget and all the rest of you.

Should I really be boycotting Uber? I don't want to get caught up in anything hasty, but it sounds like they were trying to profit off the taxi shutdown?

ehhhh i'm not sure... the whole point of Uber is that the drivers are, essentially, independent contractors and able to make their own decisions on what/when/where they go.

and for a few hours, they wouldn't let anyone on the AirTrain unless they had a valid ticket. so suspending surge pricing actually helped protesters.

the CEO did accept an invite to Trump's business council, but he's also come out against the ban and said that any drivers stuck overseas will be compensated.

so i'd say no, or at the very least, not yet.

We are already considering cancelling our trip to California in March.

We both have very highly privileged jobs and there is no way they can have any information from my personal or work cell phone. If this passes, we're not going to the US so long as Trump is president and this is in existence.

Enjoy being the pariah of the world, Oregoropa and bobsaget and all the rest of you.

I'd really love to see them try and respond to this post.

I'm so sorry you have to be caught up in this bullshit.

I'd really love to see them try and respond to this post.

I'm so sorry you have to be caught up in this bullshit.
It's quite obvious that the endgame of Trump and his administration is to shut America off to the world.

All foreign visitors may be asked for social media info and cell phone contacts.

i mean... i know it'll hurt us in the short term, but as long as these actions continue, those outside the US need to stop doing business with the US where possible.

foreign artists need to not play here.

american businesses overseas should be boycotted.

a message must be sent - if you want isolation, you'll get isolation.

ehhhh i'm not sure... the whole point of Uber is that the drivers are, essentially, independent contractors and able to make their own decisions on what/when/where they go.

and for a few hours, they wouldn't let anyone on the AirTrain unless they had a valid ticket. so suspending surge pricing actually helped protesters.

the CEO did accept an invite to Trump's business council, but he's also come out against the ban and said that any drivers stuck overseas will be compensated.

so i'd say no, or at the very least, not yet.
Cool, thanks.

This is the post shared in my Indivisble group:

Friends please DEACTIVATE and #DeleteUBER from your phones! Use Lyft! Most drivers simultaneously use both apps & just take nearest alert. It will not hurt drivers. It will hurt Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, who is supporting Trump and a member of his economic advisory team. TODAY THE NYC YELLOW CABS HELD A 1HR STRIKE at JFK in solidarity w/protests against Trump's Muslim Ban. And UBER BROKE THE STRIKE! It lowered prices to make MORE MONEY! They've claimed dropping the surge rate was to help protestors get to the rally. In fact, it was the opposite - cars stopped going to the airport and those already at the airport got all the customers because they were suddenly cheaper than the livery drivers.
This boycott is THE strongest tool we have to rattle Trump right now, because he fears the importance of silicon $. While Dems are playing softball, we must play hardball.
You are voting with your dollars! Don't support companies that support racism!
Below are the instructions to deactivate your account. You will still have copies of all your receipts in your email for taxes, etc.

My wife and I will be attending a Stop the Ban rally here in town this afternoon. I've only ever been to one protest prior to this (stop the Dakota access pipeline, though I wanted to attend the women's march in town but had family obligations), but the way things are going, I'm going to become a regular attendee. I've also placed the numbers for my state representatives in my contacts, as they're going to be hearing from me quite a lot.

Congratulations, Trump and Republicans, you've made things bad enough that an introvert who hates crowds and talking to strangers on the phone is now joining in. Honestly, I consider it a moral imperative at this point.

Yea I don't know about that one. If Uber kept going and kept surge pricing on, they'd be bashed for that.

Ultimately it's the driver's decision what to do, and the drivers in NYC tend to work for both Uber and Lyft, and are required to have livery licenses, meaning many of them are also in the taxi drivers union and broke their own boycott.

It's hard to figure out the hysteria from the reality these days.

Is the suggestion that Uber should have suspended service in solidarity with the taxi drivers? Because otherwise they would naturally profit by having one of their competitors out of the picture, whether they intended to or not.

I honestly don't see a reason to boycott Uber just because of political ties or if they lowered their prices during the protest. Here they have offered free or discounted rides when the taxi drivers blocked our highways in protest of the company, and when there's any other type of emergency - shootings in public places, weather, etc. People need to take a chill pill. It's just a method of transportation to help those that need to get from Point A to Point B in places where it may be limited. Why does everything have to be associated with politics?

Last edited:
Speaking of books...

ab261f31e18964a93cf86a54fbb83afc.jpg

Reading is fun

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The administration will likely frame this policy as a means to find links to jihadists or sympathizers.

But, as we all know, there's no way anyone would abuse this to search for, say, anti-Trump posts on a U2 message board and use that against them.

As a foreigner living here, this is so troubling. I haven't had that happen to me in China or other authoritarian countries.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Not everyone is in disagreement.

Australia’s foreign affairs minister, Julie Bishop, said the government would continue to work closely with the Trump administration to implement “strong border policies”. She said: “We share a common view on many issues so we will continue to work very closely with the Trump administration,” adding: “The very best days of the Australia-US relationship lie ahead.”

Well, based on my twitter feed alone, I'd be barred from re-entry.

Also, good to see Rudy Giuliani confirm this is a Muslim ban. These people disgust me.

Lol me too! Based on my Facebook rants I wouldn't be allowed into the USA! Maybe I'll reconsider my trip to Oregon in August to catch the total solar eclipse. I wouldn't want to be detained at the border by the dear leader trump!

Steve Bannon is now on the national security team. Not sure why...maybe Trump wants someone on there whose been married as many times as he has? Someone crazier?

News segments on Sky News showing a UK family travelling next week to Disney world then on a cruise. They now can't go as the mother has Iranian parents although she has been in the UK for 30 years and is a UK citizen. How is this even possible or sane?!

Let's try and be more nuanced than the anti-Hillary brigade yelling "lock her up!"

If they are willing to lock Hillary up because of a few lost emails than shouldn't trump be locked up for say discriminating against Muslims, being unconstitutional, promoting hate and racism, dividing the country, putting the country in danger, destroying the country's reputation, picking fights with the media, putting out blatant lies, deleting data and pages and many more things? Let's be real here, if trumpsters feel the need to lock her up over a few emails than I have the right to feel that we should lock him up for what I believe is much much more dangerous behaviour! I am sorry if it offended you for me to say lock him up but it's the way I feel.

Last edited:
If they are willing to lock Hillary up because of a few lost emails than shouldn't trump be locked up for say discriminating against Muslims, being unconstitutional, promoting hate and racism, dividing the country, putting the country in danger, destroying the country's reputation, picking fights with the media, putting out blatant lies, deleting data and pages and many more things? Let's be real here, if trumpsters feel the need to lock her up over a few emails than I have the right to feel that we should lock him up for what I believe is much much more dangerous behaviour! I am sorry if it offended you for me to say lock him up but it's the way I feel.
A wise man once said that we mustn't become a monster in order to defeat a monster.

i mean... i know it'll hurt us in the short term, but as long as these actions continue, those outside the US need to stop doing business with the US where possible.

foreign artists need to not play here.

american businesses overseas should be boycotted.

a message must be sent - if you want isolation, you'll get isolation.

been wondering about the Joshua Tree Tour with all this - how long before they get closed down if they do anything provocative? (if they don't boycott the US that is)

been wondering about the Joshua Tree Tour with all this - how long before they get closed down if they do anything provocative? (if they don't boycott the US that is)
"U2 are inciting violence against the government and aren't allowed to tour in the US".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom