Trump General Discussion V - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #241
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,537
Local Time: 12:49 PM
This should really be the thing we're all talking about right now.

__________________

LemonMelon is online now  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #242
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
If you want to keeping marching to the center every time, you're more than welcome to have 2016 repeat itself over and over again.
So the far right says we don't compromise and that's why we got here, and the "far left" says we got here because we compromised too much.

Is that about the jist of it?
__________________

BVS is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #243
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,537
Local Time: 12:49 PM
I still want to hear from our resident libertarian Trump supporters about those federal employee gag orders...

I know it's a complex issue that involves a bit of ideological bending, but I'm just curious.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #244
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,562
Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
This should really be the thing we're all talking about right now.

How much would consumer spending have to dip for the economy to collapse?
Danny Boy is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #245
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 05:49 PM
He.is.insane.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.5b411a5c4edf
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #246
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,724
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I still want to hear from our resident libertarian Trump supporters about those federal employee gag orders...

I know it's a complex issue that involves a bit of ideological bending, but I'm just curious.
I'd love to hear any of the Trump supporters here try and justify or explain any of the crap Trump's been pulling the past few days.

Seriously, is there any serious talk from anyone anywhere about trying to get him out of office? 'Cause I'll support any efforts possible. The more I hear, the more scared I become.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #247
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,215
Local Time: 03:49 PM
I hear Toronto is nice
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #248
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,370
Local Time: 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I'm not naive enough to think there is only one reason Trump won, but in my view Hillary lost that campaign the minute she decided the best counter to "Make America Great Again" was "America is already great!" The economy as a whole has rebounded, but many, many voters in swing states haven't seen the benefits of that. Income inequality is part of that, the loss of manufacturing jobs to automation is another. And she's extolling the virtues of how great America is. Is that what those voters wanted to hear? It was all they got to hear, in many cases she didn't even bother to campaign in those areas.

Democrats need to recalibrate here in the worst way, and instead all I'm seeing is "Hillary ran a great campaign and nothing could be done to defeat Trump." Which is fucking insane.

From a significant portion of the pundit class, for one. Daou, Marcotte, Eichenwald, Doyle, etc. Primarily in response to legitimate criticisms of Clinton from the left. That's where the whole "Bernie bro" thing started, if you remember.
I thought it was refreshing that she was outright admitting that she considers the left to be a greater threat than the right. I think it sums up the centre/centre-right Democrat pundit class well.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #249
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 21,974
Local Time: 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I hear Toronto is nice
we already have too many people here. you should go to halifax. it's lovely there.
DaveC is online now  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #250
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 04:49 PM
Several months ago few friends discussed their idea that Trump was playing with the press. I was having difficulty understanding why Trump would make some uncalled remark or tweet some wild remark at four in the morning.

On election day I was not convinced he was going to win. Since then I am convinced it is part of the reason he won and he going to keep at.

Trump is playing a master game of chess with the press and many of his loud detractors. It is going to be fun to watch this match. Here are parts I selected from the USA Today opinion piece. It is worth reading in its entirety.

Quotes:

In fact, Trump’s basically gaslighting them. Knowing how much they hate him, he’s constantly provoking them to go over the top. Sean Spicer’s crowd-size remarks on Saturday were all about making them seem petty and negative. (And, possibly, teeing up crowd size comparisons at this Friday’s March For Life, which the press normally ignores but which Trump will probably force them to cover).

They’re taking the bait because they think he’s dumb, and impulsive, and lacking self-control — but he’s the one causing them to act in ways that are dumb and impulsive, and demonstrate lack of self-control. As Richard Fernandez writes on Facebook, they think he’s dumb because they think he has lousy taste…

If the news media actually focused on reporting facts accurately and straightforwardly, on leaving opinion to the pundits, and on giving Trump a clearly fair shake, then Trump’s tactics wouldn’t work, and any actual dirt they found on him would do actual damage. He’s betting on the press being insufficiently mature and self-controlled to manage that. So far, his bet is paying off.

And as long as the press is mindlessly partisan and bereft of self-discipline, capitalizing on that is just good politics.

Trump is playing with the press: Glenn Reynolds
the iron horse is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #251
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,076
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Trump General Discussion V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I hear Toronto is nice

I hear rents are super cheap in Calgary right now. Now's a good time for Americans to move north and start to diversify that poor city's economy.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
digitize is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #252
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
This should really be the thing we're all talking about right now.

I can't find anywhere in the article where he actually said what that Tweet says.

Spicer is talking about the GOP tax reform proposal which would impose a border tax (while simultaneously significantly slashing corporate taxes). He is right in the sense that most other nations do impose a VAT-type tax.

Now whether their proposal would be revenue neutral (HAHAHA) or good for the economy (HA) is arguable, but it's not like a completely batshit insane idea, as far as Trump/GOP ideas go.
anitram is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #253
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I hear rents are super cheap in Calgary right now. Now's a good time for Americans to move north and start to diversify that poor city's economy.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
They are not "super cheap", they're cheaper than in recent years.

But now that we're shippin' the dirty oil south and buildin' them pipelines, watch the real estate prices rise out there again.

You should look at Prince Edward Island if you want to live somewhere beautiful and extraordinarily cheap. Sure there are like 87 feet of snow there in winter, but the summer is amazing.
anitram is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #254
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,462
Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I still want to hear from our resident libertarian Trump supporters about those federal employee gag orders...

I know it's a complex issue that involves a bit of ideological bending, but I'm just curious.

Who are you referring to? Semi-myself? digitize? Or those folks who irrationally claim to be libertarian on economics but conservative on social issues, entirely defeating the purpose of what a libertarian is?
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #255
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,537
Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Who are you referring to? Semi-myself? digitize? Or those folks who irrationally claim to be libertarian on economics but conservative on social issues, entirely defeating the purpose of what a libertarian is?

The latter.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #256
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,724
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
You should look at Prince Edward Island if you want to live somewhere beautiful and extraordinarily cheap. Sure there are like 87 feet of snow there in winter, but the summer is amazing.
Sounds like a good deal to me !
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #257
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,473
Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Several months ago few friends discussed their idea that Trump was playing with the press. I was having difficulty understanding why Trump would make some uncalled remark or tweet some wild remark at four in the morning.



On election day I was not convinced he was going to win. Since then I am convinced it is part of the reason he won and he going to keep at.



Trump is playing a master game of chess with the press and many of his loud detractors. It is going to be fun to watch this match. Here are parts I selected from the USA Today opinion piece. It is worth reading in its entirety.



Quotes:



In fact, Trump’s basically gaslighting them. Knowing how much they hate him, he’s constantly provoking them to go over the top. Sean Spicer’s crowd-size remarks on Saturday were all about making them seem petty and negative. (And, possibly, teeing up crowd size comparisons at this Friday’s March For Life, which the press normally ignores but which Trump will probably force them to cover).



They’re taking the bait because they think he’s dumb, and impulsive, and lacking self-control — but he’s the one causing them to act in ways that are dumb and impulsive, and demonstrate lack of self-control. As Richard Fernandez writes on Facebook, they think he’s dumb because they think he has lousy taste…



If the news media actually focused on reporting facts accurately and straightforwardly, on leaving opinion to the pundits, and on giving Trump a clearly fair shake, then Trump’s tactics wouldn’t work, and any actual dirt they found on him would do actual damage. He’s betting on the press being insufficiently mature and self-controlled to manage that. So far, his bet is paying off.



And as long as the press is mindlessly partisan and bereft of self-discipline, capitalizing on that is just good politics.


Trump is playing with the press: Glenn Reynolds



I agree that the strategy is to discredit the press in the eyes of his voters, so that when the press reports on his lies and failures, they have a means of dismissing them.

It's clearly working on those who want to believe.

Given that there's an entire cable network giving him talking points, plus a vast and well organized right wing media structure, I'm not quite sure you can say that "they" are "all" against him, or that it's other networks and outlets and not Fox that are "mindless and bereft of self-discipline."
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #258
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,462
Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The latter.

Well you have an answer, gag orders are a social issue
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #259
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,076
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Who are you referring to? Semi-myself? digitize? Or those folks who irrationally claim to be libertarian on economics but conservative on social issues, entirely defeating the purpose of what a libertarian is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The latter.
I was going to say, I may have libertarian leanings, but I sure as hell hope that I haven't given the impression that I'm a Trump supporter.
digitize is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #260
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 05:49 PM
Oh FFS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/was-dona...inkId=33828865
__________________

__________________

BoMac is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×