Trump General Discussion IV: Unpresidented! Very sad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You've been away, so maybe you don't know the new rules around here, but Oro over there now tells us when we're supposed to be worried about something, and whether or not something is racist. You just have to deal with it, that's the way things are.

After some thought you guys do have a point. I was whitesplaining. It is impossible to truly understand how it feels to look to be on the receiving end of racism. I'm sincerely saying this.

I approached the challenge of defending a broad brush painting of the Trump movement in a rhetorical style of a defense attorney. The use of a scale was a vehicle to say that certain media entities were driving certain statements up the scale. Thus making the movement more of a monster than it actually was.

Headache was the only poster to acknowledge my assertion in shorter form.

Not Racist
Ignorant
Racist

As a result of the conversation I have realized that I cannot fully say what is or isn't racist to a person.

Glad to know. With any debate or real life conversation in the future I have a new approach.

At the same point. We cannot exclude or diminish people from having an intellectual conversation on important sociological aspects of society because of their skin color and experience in life.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Jefferson Smith:The point is, sir, they're right. I'm just sitting in the Senate decorating a chair. Now, if-if I'm going to vote, I at least ought to try and study some of the bills that are coming up.

Senator Joseph Paine: The bills?

Jefferson Smith: Well, yes sir. Otherwise, I'm just a Christmas tiger, like they said.

Senator Joseph Paine: Jeff, these bills are put together by legal minds, after long study. Why, I-I-I can't understand ha-half of them myself - and I used to be a lawyer. Now, come on, forget it. When the time comes, I'll advise you how to vote.

~from the film Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

On January 29th 20016, Mr. Trump came to Washington and stuck it to the out-of-touch closed elite that acts on behalf of its own interests. The corrupt dominant elites (usually the orthodox politicians) and their camp followers (usually the rich and the intellectuals).

Trump’s speech was refreshingly unsophisticated. Unlike Obama’s speeches that railed on and on like an extended Grateful Dead song with a 40 minute jam session in between the drum solos. Trump’s speech was like a two minute Ramone’s song. He was direct and to the point. Almost half of his speech sounded like a Bernie Sander’s speech.

It rattled them. Seconds after it was over the mainstream media immediately jumped on it as crude, dark and unsophisticated speech, Chris Matthews called it Hitlerian. The Chicken Littles were all over scrambling to declare the end is near.

They still don’t get it. This is about the people.

Trump is not a Democrat or a Republican. He is not a conservative or a liberal.
He is a populist who understands that many Americans are sick and tired of the clowns in Washington. They want stuff done. They are sick of clowns trying to divide us and talking down to us. They are sick of taking most of the burden in managing the world ' hotspots and having our troops die in combat.

Now finally a president comes along and points all this garbage out and says he is going to help set a different agenda. He is going to give the power back to the we the people and work for us.

The tone in Washington is changing fast.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Jefferson Smith:The point is, sir, they're right. I'm just sitting in the Senate decorating a chair. Now, if-if I'm going to vote, I at least ought to try and study some of the bills that are coming up.

Senator Joseph Paine: The bills?

Jefferson Smith: Well, yes sir. Otherwise, I'm just a Christmas tiger, like they said.

Senator Joseph Paine: Jeff, these bills are put together by legal minds, after long study. Why, I-I-I can't understand ha-half of them myself - and I used to be a lawyer. Now, come on, forget it. When the time comes, I'll advise you how to vote.

~from the film Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

On January 29th 20016, Mr. Trump came to Washington and stuck it to the out-of-touch closed elite that acts on behalf of its own interests. The corrupt dominant elites (usually the orthodox politicians) and their camp followers (usually the rich and the intellectuals).

Trump’s speech was refreshingly unsophisticated. Unlike Obama’s speeches that railed on and on like an extended Grateful Dead song with a 40 minute jam session in between the drum solos. Trump’s speech was like a two minute Ramone’s song. He was direct and to the point. Almost half of his speech sounded like a Bernie Sander’s speech.

It rattled them. Seconds after it was over the mainstream media immediately jumped on it as crude, dark and unsophisticated speech, Chris Matthews called it Hitlerian. The Chicken Littles were all over scrambling to declare the end is near.

They still don’t get it. This is about the people.

He is a populist who understands that many Americans are sick and tired of the clowns in Washington. They want stuff done. They are sick of clowns trying to divide us and talking down to us. They are sick of taking most of the burden in managing the world ' hotspots and having our troops die in combat.

Now finally a president comes along and points all this garbage out and says he is going to help set a different agenda. He is going to give the power back to the we the people and work for us.

The tone in Washington is changing fast.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

i guess that's why you the people came out in droves to celebrate the inauguration :up:

(i'm being sarcastic btw - thought i'd clarify just in case)

Last edited:
Trump’s speech was refreshingly unsophisticated.

It's rather disgusting that lowering the bar is found refreshing, rather than having someone who makes us strive to be better.

I find your falling over yourself for this man to be the most disappointing out of all of them. For over a decade I've seen you speak to your Christian values, principles of small government, and just like that you flushed all the principles down the drain. You've now embraced a morally bankrupt, big government demagogue and made everything you've preached about since joining FYM moot. It's disappointing.

For over a decade I've seen you speak to your Christian values, principles of small government, and just like that you flushed all the principles down the drain. You've now embraced a morally bankrupt, big government demagogue and made everything you've preached about since joining FYM moot. It's disappointing.

i can't help wondering how deliberately depriving people of health cover is in keeping with their "Christian" principles

Oh no. No, no, no. NO you do NOT.

He is a Republican and he is no Liberal. Don't try to stick us with your messes.

OWN HIM.

For fuck's sake.

After some thought you guys do have a point. I was whitesplaining. It is impossible to truly understand how it feels to look to be on the receiving end of racism. I'm sincerely saying this.

I approached the challenge of defending a broad brush painting of the Trump movement in a rhetorical style of a defense attorney. The use of a scale was a vehicle to say that certain media entities were driving certain statements up the scale. Thus making the movement more of a monster than it actually was.

Not Racist
Ignorant
Racist

As a result of the conversation I have realized that I cannot fully say what is or isn't racist to a person.

Glad to know. With any debate or real life conversation in the future I have a new approach.

At the same point. We cannot exclude or diminish people from having an intellectual conversation on important sociological aspects of society because of their skin color and experience in life.

Except everything on your list fell in the ignorant or hatred section, and the "ignorant" section is still pretty racist.

Trumpets prefer an unsophisticated president as opposed to a sophisticated one like Obama! If they get a sophisticated one it's just too complicated for them to understand!

Bear in mind Obama's nuanced triangulation, while at times perfectly suited for a complicated issue did not translate into a sense of leadership the Democratic Party could hang their hats on. Couldn't be packaged into a marketable campaign for liberals running for congress.

Not that everybody out there are rubes, they just have a shorter attention span in the 21st century.

These women's marches are incredible. Crowd in DC dwarfing Trump's. All over the country & the world. Good on you, ladies, if I wasn't deathly ill and in bed the last 3 days I'd be out there too.

Bear in mind Obama's nuanced triangulation, while at times perfectly suited for a complicated issue did not translate into a sense of leadership the Democratic Party could hang their hats on. Couldn't be packaged into a marketable campaign for liberals running for congress.

Not that everybody out there are rubes, they just have a shorter attention span in the 21st century.

Everything wrong with Obama was when he acted too Republican/conservative.

These women's marches are incredible. Crowd in DC dwarfing Trump's. All over the country & the world. Good on you, ladies, if I wasn't deathly ill and in bed the last 3 days I'd be out there too.

Yes! This is a movement Trump, not your dismal vote count. These are record crowds, not that weak attendance you had yesterday.

Not Racist
Ignorant
Racist

It's a start, at least.

The turnouts for the marches around the globe (Antarctica represent!) are giving me all the feels today.

And people online whining about "coastal elites" in regards to the marches need to have several seats. Anchorage. Kentucky. St Louis. [Insert your favorite non-coastal town with a march here.]

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

250k in Chicago when organizers were expecting only 25k. This is the kind of grassroots activism that has to continue if Trump is to be effectively combated.

The crowd numbers at the inauguration were fake according to Trump ,"it looked like a million and a half people"?! WTF?! The guy is truly crazy.

Well this is a guy who ignored his own advisors suggestion to give a more unifying inauguration speech and instead chose to give a bleak inauguration speech more reflective of his own personal views.

Well this is a guy who ignored his own advisors suggestion to give a more unifying inauguration speech and instead chose to give a bleak inauguration speech more reflective of his own personal views.

To be fair ,Bannon and Miller wrote the speech.

The crowd numbers at the inauguration were fake according to Trump ,"it looked like a million and a half people"?! WTF?! The guy is truly crazy.

Welcome to fascism. The signs are too clear to ignore. OK, they might not all point exclusively to fascism, but taken as a whole:
- Ignoring the truth/creating your own
- Doing away with the arts (Entartete Kunst, anyone?)
- The promotion of right-extremism (first it was accepting their endorsement, then appointing right-extremists to the government, now it is letting them write your speeches, with all the "Amerca First" and totalitarian language)
- Big government and big business merging into one conglomerate
- Personality idolation
- Etc.

So what are we going to do about it? What can we do about it?

Welcome to fascism. The signs are too clear to ignore. OK, they might not all point exclusively to fascism, but taken as a whole:
- Ignoring the truth/creating your own
- Doing away with the arts (Entartete Kunst, anyone?)
- The promotion of right-extremism (first it was accepting their endorsement, then appointing right-extremists to the government, now it is letting them write your speeches, with all the "Amerca First" and totalitarian language)
- Big government and big business merging into one conglomerate
- Personality idolation
- Etc.

So what are we going to do about it? What can we do about it?

stop calling it fascism because it isn't.

it's trumpism. this is a new beast and we need to treat it like we have no idea what's it's going to do (because we don't) rather than try to recall images of jackboots and swastikas, because that kind of a future is obviously out of the question in america. the country is just way too big and diverse, demographically and geographically, for that. it's so easy for trumpists to laugh that off and cite godwin's law when they get called fascists that it isn't effective in the least. "fascism" is now a uselessly cartoonish label that's easily dismissed and doesn't really apply anyways, despite the similarities. this is trumpism, and it's a wholly new threat to the global order, which is what makes it so scary.

Last edited:
So in his first press conference, the new press secretary displayed photos purportedly showing Trump's crowd to be bigger than Obama's, claimed that this was the most well attended inauguration ever, called the media divisive and threatening to hold them accountable, and left without taking question.

If you are wondering, this is what authoritarianism looks like.

For liberals that couldn't bear to vote for Hillary because of emails, good job guys!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Last edited:
What's hilarious(actually scary) I'm seeing Trump minions posting 'post-truth' memes and cartoons.

This is what we're going to have to deal with moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom