Trump General Discussion IV: Unpresidented! Very sad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going to leave this here to start things off...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-most-americans-don-t-181959428.html

According to a Gallup poll released Monday, Americans have significantly less faith in Trump than they had in his predecessors. Only 44% said they are confident Trump will avoid major scandals in his Administration, 46% said they are confident in Trump’s ability to handle an international crisis, and 47% said they trust him to use military force wisely. When the same questions were asked at the start of Barack Obama’s, George W. Bush’s and Bill Clinton’s terms, roughly three-quarters of Americans said they had confidence in the newly elected President in these areas.

When compared with Gallup’s averages of confidence polling in his predecessors, Trump comes up short: he has a 32-point confidence deficit in his ability to avoid scandals in his Administration, a 29-point deficit in his ability to use military force well and a 28-point deficit in his ability to manage the Executive Branch. Most Americans (60%) believe Trump will be able to get things done with Congress, but even there he comes up far behind his predecessors — the average number of Americans with confidence in Obama, Bush and Clinton to work with Congress was 82%.

So, yeah. Considering Hillary won the popular vote by a decent amount, though, this news shouldn't be all that surprising.

The President Elect is quoting Assange and discussing intelligence briefings on his Twitter account.

#whattheeverlivingfuck

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The President Elect is quoting Assange and discussing intelligence briefings on his Twitter account.

#whattheeverlivingfuck

Siding with Assange instead of his own intelligence agencies?! If you worked for the CIA risking your life etc why would you continue to serve a president who didn't believe in you? Also, his constantly denying Russia had anything to do with the hacks makes him look as guilty as hell! What an absolute farce, I think he lacks any sort of intelligence.

I was wrong on freedom of info

It was the fairness doctrine.

Required opposing sides to be heard.

Irvine511 said:
They call this whitesplaining.

Haha. In a roundabout way you proved my point precisely. The left sets up buzzword snares and PC guilt traps to prevent an actual conversation when you approach it as a privileged identity.

Can we get a reasonable title for this thread like we have had in the past?

Trump General Discussion 4, something like that?

and a reminder like the last thread, is always a good idea

Continue, with a few reminders:

-No personal attacks
-Report offensive posts (I've been busy helping family move the last few days - an email notification when the sexism and racism showed its face again would've been nice)

Can we get a reasonable title for this thread like we have had in the past?

Trump General Discussion 4, something like that?

and a reminder like the last thread, is always a good idea

Just quoting the man that will make America Great Again :shrug:

Haha. In a roundabout way you proved my point precisely. The left sets up buzzword snares and PC guilt traps to prevent an actual conversation when you approach it as a privileged identity.

In a way I actually agree with you. I don't like the 'splanin' expressions. He has a point, but the point would have been more impactful if explained and spelled out. But on the other hand your avoidance of this issue has people hesitant about wasting their time.

"Whitesplaining" generally means that conversations about race should be centered around, and be most sensitive to the feelings of, white people and their concerns about being called racists rather than the lives in experience of being a racial minority.

Your post wasn't necessarily "wrong," but it was exactly the problem -- white people dont want to be made to feel uncomfortable about issues of race.

But on the other hand your avoidance of this issue has people hesitant about wasting their time.

I'm assuming you will continue to call my opinion and analysis . . . Avoidance . . . until it properly aligns with your opinion and analysis.

Basically we disagree on the level and prevalence of racism, xenophobia, sexism etc... of the Trump movement.

Oregoropa = Trump is a modern day Archie Bunker, conjured into popularity by an overreach of left wing policies and Politically correct culture

BVS = Trump's movement is fueled by the racist tendencies of his followers which increase and spread when he speaks leading to a scary reversal of social progress

"Whitesplaining" generally means that conversations about race should be centered around, and be most sensitive to the feelings of, white people and their concerns about being called racists rather than the lives in experience of being a racial minority.

Your post wasn't necessarily "wrong," but it was exactly the problem -- white people dont want to be made to feel uncomfortable about issues of race.

I'm guessing we should feel completely comfortable about discussing racial issues. There is a comfort for a white person if you stick to the social justice script. If you have a dissenting viewpoint or an out-of-the-box idea you become vulnerable to verbal attack. Colleges and Universities have abandoned traditional liberal values of free speech and open debate. I've been called a fuck, asshole, cunt in FYM just for having a different opinion.

I had to approach last night's 'splaining with a jurist's mindset. Probably because I was defending the viewpoint that racism can be grossly overstated in today's climate.

A climate that made it conducive for Trump to win.

I'm assuming you will continue to call my opinion and analysis . . . Avoidance . . . until it properly aligns with your opinion and analysis.

Basically we disagree on the level and prevalence of racism, xenophobia, sexism etc... of the Trump movement.

Oregoropa = Trump is a modern day Archie Bunker, conjured into popularity by an overreach of left wing policies and Politically correct culture

BVS = Trump's movement is fueled by the racist tendencies of his followers which increase and spread when he speaks leading to a scary reversal of social progress

No, I appreciate your recent engagement:up: but I can see why people would be hesitant, there's been a history of avoidance.

I would say the area between those two descriptions would probably be the most accurate.

No, I appreciate your recent engagement:up: but I can see why people would be hesitant, there's been a history of avoidance.

I would say the area between those two descriptions would probably be the most accurate.

Word :up:

I may avoid until I can give an item my full attention at a time of my choosing. It can be exhausting if you feel obligated to live in FYM.

Always good sparring.

I too appreciate Oregoropa's perspective. I know for sure that going into silos where we only listen to opinions we agree with is a dead end.
I get the argument that Republicans saw in Trump a guy who probably got it wrong a few times, got it right other times but in general is a breath of fresh air.
And I get the perspective that many on the liberal side can get so into 'issues' that they fail to see other issues. Like unemployment.
And I get that Trump said he would make it all better.
What utterly confounds me is that his policy is ridiculous. To my ignorant mind anyway. And I can't accept 50 million people voted for him because of his policy. Yet it appears it was policy, ie curbing immigration and returning lost jobs, that appears to have swung it for him in the battleground states.
Immigration I dunno, I live in NZ so my perspective is irrelevant.
But bringing back factory jobs? Cutting taxes while engaging in a massive and expensive infrastructure build? Building a solid, physical wall on the Mexican border? Banning or vetting people entering based on their religion (which, of course, does not have a skin colour, accent or passport). Did these voters really analyse these things?

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Probably because I was defending the viewpoint that racism can be grossly overstated in today's climate.

Do you understand how this statement is really problematic? Like, you get to deny the lived in experiences of others because ... why, exactly? Because you don't like it when people point out racism?

I don't understand why a white, straight, Christian male, the most privileged position in American society, gets to decide that racism is grossly overstated? I mean that with absolute seriousness - how on earth would you know? You have no way of understanding the lives of racialized individuals and the baggage they bring with them to what are seemingly innocuous situations to you.

Do you understand how this statement is really problematic? Like, you get to deny the lived in experiences of others because ... why, exactly? Because you don't like it when people point out racism?

A statement like that is only problematic because it doesn't adhere to the scripted progressive justice movement. It is true, I do not know what it is like to be a somebody in a protected class, which I gather is the new PC term for minority. Right now the progressive movement is calling balls and strikes. Setting the playing field over who is allowed to say something and who is not allowed to say something. We are not even arguing blatant hate speech. The actual word 'microagressions' fully encapsulates where we find ourselves as a society today.

I gather just upon hearing a white male saying that instances of racism can be exaggerated by the media is a microagression to some. If a certain person is not allowed to offer an over-arching analysis because of their skin color, and not the inherent uniqueness of their psyche therein lies a fundamental problem. This is where civil debate breaks down. Both sides isolate themselves. Then we end up with the most mind-boggling election match-up and post election day reactions in US History.

A statement like that is only problematic because it doesn't adhere to the scripted progressive justice movement. It is true, I do not know what it is like to be a somebody in a protected class, which I gather is the new PC term for minority. Right now the progressive movement is calling balls and strikes. Setting the playing field over who is allowed to say something and who is not allowed to say something.

It's always weird when you speak in this tongue, honestly it doesn't seem like the real you. I can't tell if you're trying to play the role or just been hanging out on Breitbart too much lately.

No, it's problematic period. When you make comments like that or how jobs "affect" people racism doesn't, that's a big part of the systematic problem. Can you not see that?

BVS - Read the rest of my post. Setting the framework.

Oregoropa said:
If a certain person is not allowed to offer an over-arching analysis because of their skin color, and not the inherent uniqueness of their psyche therein lies a fundamental problem.

Are we going to box ourselves in to the point where a let's say a brilliant white heterosexual male (not me), with a desire to help humanity, challenges a tenant of the Social Justice platform, that they cannot be taken seriously?

(Good conversation all around.)

Well, in a way you're dead on...

Norman Lear originally intended that Bunker be strongly disliked by audiences. Lear was shocked when Bunker quietly became a beloved figure to much of middle America. Lear thought that Bunker's opinions on race, sex, marriage, and religion were so wrong as to represent a parody of right-wing bigotry.[/quot e]

I don't understand why a white, straight, Christian male, the most privileged position in American society, gets to decide that racism is grossly overstated? I mean that with absolute seriousness - how on earth would you know? You have no way of understanding the lives of racialized individuals and the baggage they bring with them to what are seemingly innocuous situations to you.

While I agree with this, I also feel a society has to be very careful not to insinuate a whole bunch of people are ignorant or lack compassion because they are white. I'm a white male, and have never experienced racism. As a pathetic teenager I engaged in racism. I hate that I did that, and I hate that people's lives are still affected by their race. And they are.
But I also think society is better if I, a white male, can lift my head up and speak out if I think racism is being overplayed by some.
I'm not saying that's happening. But I get uncomfortable with the idea that my ability to speak truth in a given situation is diminished because I'm white.

While I agree with this, I also feel a society has to be very careful not to insinuate a whole bunch of people are ignorant or lack compassion because they are white. I'm a white male, and have never experienced racism. As a pathetic teenager I engaged in racism. I hate that I did that, and I hate that people's lives are still affected by their race. And they are.
But I also think society is better if I, a white male, can lift my head up and speak out if I think racism is being overplayed by some.
I'm not saying that's happening. But I get uncomfortable with the idea that my ability to speak truth in a given situation is diminished because I'm white.

:up:

I am not saying that you aren't able to participate in the conversation but to make broadly sweeping statements that racism is overstated when you AT NO POINT IN YOUR LIFE experienced it really does take a lot of chutzpah.

When people of colour talk to me about their experiences and why they still feel like they are on the outs, I listen. And I tend to be deferential to them because as a white woman I have absolutely no right to tell them that they are wrong to feel the way they do.

Word :up:

I may avoid until I can give an item my full attention at a time of my choosing. It can be exhausting if you feel obligated to live in FYM.

Always good sparring.

I'm guessing we should feel completely comfortable about discussing racial issues. There is a comfort for a white person if you stick to the social justice script. If you have a dissenting viewpoint or an out-of-the-box idea you become vulnerable to verbal attack. Colleges and Universities have abandoned traditional liberal values of free speech and open debate. I've been called a fuck, asshole, cunt in FYM just for having a different opinion.

I had to approach last night's 'splaining with a jurist's mindset. Probably because I was defending the viewpoint that racism can be grossly overstated in today's climate.

A climate that made it conducive for Trump to win.

A statement like that is only problematic because it doesn't adhere to the scripted progressive justice movement. It is true, I do not know what it is like to be a somebody in a protected class, which I gather is the new PC term for minority. Right now the progressive movement is calling balls and strikes. Setting the playing field over who is allowed to say something and who is not allowed to say something. We are not even arguing blatant hate speech. The actual word 'microagressions' fully encapsulates where we find ourselves as a society today.

I gather just upon hearing a white male saying that instances of racism can be exaggerated by the media is a microagression to some. If a certain person is not allowed to offer an over-arching analysis because of their skin color, and not the inherent uniqueness of their psyche therein lies a fundamental problem. This is where civil debate breaks down. Both sides isolate themselves. Then we end up with the most mind-boggling election match-up and post election day reactions in US History.

:up:

I am not saying that you aren't able to participate in the conversation but to make broadly sweeping statements that racism is overstated when you AT NO POINT IN YOUR LIFE experienced it really does take a lot of chutzpah.

Agree

Going back to my original long-form post in (Trump volume III) one of my big arguments was that the media tends to fuel the fire. Taking an out of context statement by a public figure and jacking it up a few notches on the racial outrage factor if that would benefit a desired political outcome.

I was basically summarizing why I took my time writing out my views which were labeled as whitesplaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom