Trump General Discussion IV: Unpresidented! Very sad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She doubled down on Hillary's 'deplorable' strategy. Even more tone-deaf. Without us, you'd be stuck watching football and Mixed Martial Arts, which is not the Arts.

Hey, Meryl, most of the electorate (Men, Women, African-Americans, Hispanics, etc) love Football. Their lives revolve around team loyalty. Great job representing leftist Hollywood by bashing the true cultural-sport fabric that unites so many Americans.

Meryl Streep has probably never had a bad word spoken to her in 30 years. She is universally praised. She came down from her self-imagined Ivory Tower and made what she thought was a Streepian declaration, that would as always be widely accepted.

So poking fun at football is calling you deplorables?! That's all you got?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Um, actually Pierce Brosnan was the one who almost single-handedly ruined Mamma Mia.

#ABBAsplaining

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

What in the world are you babbling on about?

Also, Hollywood is not the only place where leftists exist.

(And saying she "came down from an ivory tower" while supporting a rich reality TV star is kind of hilarious.)

You understand that millions of people in the US love the NFL? The Super Bowl is the most watched program every year in the World?

Her statement denigrated people that watch Football.

This attitude, permeated by Hollywood, Academia, New York media intelligentsia will not help you win back PA, OH, MI, IA, WI (ironic that these are places where football is a way of life, not just something to watch on the weekend)

The "Ivory Tower" metaphor is used when somebody is completely out of touch with the 'peasant class'. Meryl Streep's performance last night proved she had no idea what goes on in middle America. Trump is a rich reality star that understood Middle America. He did not have the condescending Ivory Tower attitude.

I fully understand I will never convert any of you into a Trump supporter. From a purely political science analysis, I'm putting out a warning that the Democratic party could be in trouble if it does not find a moderating messenger before the midterm elections. While you may view Streep's stand as a noble endeavor, it was potentially toxic to the liberal brand in its execution.

Um, actually Pierce Brosnan was the one who almost single-handedly ruined Mamma Mia.

#ABBAsplaining

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

The future does not belong to those who would slander ABBA.

Yeah Brosnan was rough.

Yes, I agree with you that it's fair to roll your eyes at her comments about football and blah blah blah.

That doesn't mean Donald Trump wasn't very obviously mocking that reporter.

You understand that millions of people in the US love the NFL? The Super Bowl is the most watched program every year in the World?

Her statement denigrated people that watch Football.

This attitude, permeated by Hollywood, Academia, New York media intelligentsia will not help you win back PA, OH, MI, IA, WI (ironic that these are places where football is a way of life, not just something to watch on the weekend)

Well, I live in Iowa and I couldn't care less about football. Yes, I'm well aware it's very popular here, but I don't see how Meryl's speech was somehow insulting people who like football. My mom and sister like football, and they would've agreed with her statements. As would've my dad, and many other people I know who like football. So...

And I'm not bothered by the "Hollywood/academia/New York media" commentary, either. I really wish people would quit acting like all of us here in middle America will automatically have a knee-jerk reaction to the "liberal elite", or the people on the coasts, and must naturally disagree with or dismiss anything they have to say because "ooh, liberal commentary". Some people will, yes, but again, you DO know there are liberals who live here, too, right? And not just in the big cities, either.

The "Ivory Tower" metaphor is used when somebody is completely out of touch with the 'peasant class'. Meryl Streep's performance last night proved she had no idea what goes on in middle America. Trump is a rich reality star that understood Middle America. He did not have the condescending Ivory Tower attitude.

BS. Complete and total BS. Trump wouldn't have the first clue what people like my family go through. Not a single clue at all. I'm not saying Meryl Streep would know any better, either, but for the love of all that is good, quit acting like Trump totally gets us working class people. He's more obsessed with whining about people being mean to him on Twitter than he is focusing on preparing for his job and actually doing anything about the things he claimed he said he'd do for the working class, he was born into money, he's never had to want for anything in his life.

Seriously, I hope to god you're just pulling our legs by saying this stuff, because there is no way you can possibly say any of that with a straight face and actually mean it.

Calling it a buzzword doesn't make it untrue.

Using those arm motions while discussing someone with a motor disabiity; the results are easily predictable.

And leading into it with, "You gotta see this guy..." My interpretation is deliberate mocking.

Is Oregoropa the one that was once upon a time a libertarian? This new character is pretty tedious, can you switch to a new one, please?

Seriously, I hope to god you're just pulling our legs by saying this stuff, because there is no way you can possibly say any of that with a straight face and actually mean it.

I am saying it with a straight face. It's easy to dig ourselves into opposing ideological trench warfare. There are moments when I close my eyes and try to see things from the other side. It's a good mental exercise. (Sometimes I can more easily channel an inner-liberal thought process when under the influence. Not mocking. A certain plant popular in Colorado can allow your psyche to travel to many different perspectives)

I saw a news story for a new app that connects Hillary-Trump supporters to communicate with the hopes of creating better dialogue. Might try it out, but I have it here.

Is Oregoropa the one that was once upon a time a libertarian? This new character is pretty tedious, can you switch to a new one, please?

Never really a libertarian. Must have me mixed up with somebody else. Bob maybe, he loves Ron Paul. I'm more loose on Marijuana law/usage as my post proves.

I have a "libertarian" on another forum who supports building a wall because "we already spend tons of wasteful money so why not?"

Never mocked a disabled reported. Huge media lie. Used the same spastic motions to describe Ted Cruz and a General at the same time in the campaign.

no. wrong wrong wrong. i can't stand this, i've had this argument with others before -- he ABSOLUTELY mocked the reporter. it's amazing how easily you fall for this kind of bait. it's exactly how right wing media is designed to work.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...k-a-disabled-reporter/?utm_term=.3454179a77ee

Donald Trump Criticized for Mocking Disabled Reporter : snopes.com

Last edited:
I am saying it with a straight face. It's easy to dig ourselves into opposing ideological trench warfare. There are moments when I close my eyes and try to see things from the other side. It's a good mental exercise. (Sometimes I can more easily channel an inner-liberal thought process when under the influence. Not mocking. A certain plant popular in Colorado can allow your psyche to travel to many different perspectives)

I saw a news story for a new app that connects Hillary-Trump supporters to communicate with the hopes of creating better dialogue. Might try it out, but I have it here.

Never really a libertarian. Must have me mixed up with somebody else. Bob maybe, he loves Ron Paul. I'm more loose on Marijuana law/usage as my post proves.
All you guys look alike
#hiddenfences

Y From a purely political science analysis, I'm putting out a warning that the Democratic party could be in trouble if it does not find a moderating messenger before the midterm elections.

Thanks for the concern trolling.

It's amazing that speaking out against mockery of the disabled is now a liberal thing.

But I guess I'm not surprised.

Oregoropa, why? Why defend EVERYTHING? Trump said 'look at the guy' or something similar while doing those actions. No serious rational analysis of that would result in your conclusion.

Trump may do good things, improve America, bring back jobs etc. He may. But to believe every criticism of him is a left wing beatup is stupid.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

But to believe every criticism of him is a left wing beatup is stupid.

That's how the echo chamber works.

You'll also note that the intital response/"investigation" was done by a nominally Catholic website.

Why is that important?

Among Christians, Catholics are generally regarded as among the most committed (and well organized) to social programs to the poor -- note how city and state governments fund Catholic charities because they're often much better at these things than the government could be.

Catholics, despite a reputation for social conservativism, are also strong believers in social justice. Mocking the disabled isn't going to go over well with your average Catholic-identified voter.

So this website swoops in to explain and excuse Trump's various vulgarities. They say, "you know that reason why you think you might not vote for him? Well, it's not what you think. Here's what he really meant." And so, maybe you aren't convinced, but it plants enough of a seed of doubt so that you continue to consider voting for him.

It's how it works.

Oregoropa, why? Why defend EVERYTHING? Trump said 'look at the guy' or something similar while doing those actions. No serious rational analysis of that would result in your conclusion.

Trump may do good things, improve America, bring back jobs etc. He may. But to believe every criticism of him is a left wing beatup is stupid.

This thread is a reflection of the ideologies versus one another. Parties versus one another. If I appeared on a Cable News show opposite another poster (lets say BVS) we will engage in a tactical debate of each side. Rhetorical jousting

On the opposite side of the spectrum there are posters in here who will defend EVERYTHING on the Liberal narrative.

I'm a fan of you kiwilad, because I have seen you as a fluid poster who is generally curious about the viewpoints presented, and not in lockstep to what you post. I have acknowledged several instances where what Trump did could not be defended: Megyn Kelly post-debate tweet, poor choice in saying 'Mexican' judge.

I decided to look up the raw, unedited version of reporter moment. Just to make sure I'm not completely off my rocker and you guys are right. To be honest, I had only viewed that moment through the spectrum of the edited commercial that played non-stop in Pennsylvania. Trump says quickly "You gotta see this guy" in the context of being asked about what he said. This is the first time I saw it raw. I leave it for you to watch and judge.

Now this video has 3 instances of Trump, doing similar confusion-flailing moments, followed by the reporter moment.

Oh please. I watched your video. He far, far extended the motion in only one instance, and that was the one where he mocked the reporter.

None of this matters. None of it. He's a grown-ass man running for president and he's mocking people in a school yard bully manner. Period.

We deserve better. Period.

The whole point to this discussion, and the root of this discussion was that you normalize this behavior; you make mockery, sexism, racism, etc normalized when you have someone repetitively doing so and then gleefully elect him to the highest office. You tell your sons and daughters that it's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The problem isn't so much that he mocked a disabled reporter. It's what we would expect of Donald Trump.

The problem is more that there are now "news" "sources" designed to help people discount and discredit news they don't want to hear. Its designed for situations exactly like this where someone can not only share the content but it also makes them feel like they're smarter than "the media" -- you're smart! You see through it!

She doubled down on Hillary's 'deplorable' strategy. Even more tone-deaf. Without us, you'd be stuck watching football and Mixed Martial Arts, which is not the Arts.

Hey, Meryl, most of the electorate (Men, Women, African-Americans, Hispanics, etc) love Football. Their lives revolve around team loyalty. Great job representing leftist Hollywood by bashing the true cultural-sport fabric that unites so many Americans.

Meryl Streep has probably never had a bad word spoken to her in 30 years. She is universally praised. She came down from her self-imagined Ivory Tower and made what she thought was a Streepian declaration, that would as always be widely accepted.

Since people often accuse each other here of living in information bubbles, I'd like to point out that there is a specific corner of the internet where the only thing people appear to have taken away from the entire speech was to be outraged by her mentioning MMA like she did. People losing their minds because there are tons of fighters who aren't American, Scott Coker writing an open letter/invitation to Streep to have her come watch the Tito and Chael fight (which is going to be a tough one for a lot of actual mma fans to stomach, let alone someone outside that bubble), or writing multi-tweet essays on why jiu jitsu is "the gentle art." Because why worry about anything actually important when you can cry online about someone insulting your favorite sport? That's what people do, including the president elect!

Last edited:
Because why worry about anything actually important when you can cry online about someone insulting your favorite sport? That's what people do, including the president elect!

Exactly.

Like I said before, our president-elect has far more important things he should be currently doing with his time than whining on Twitter about Meryl Streep's speech. Do Trump supporters just not give a shit that he's apparently not that interested in doing the job that they fought so hard to make sure he'd get, or...what?

The problem is more that there are now "news" "sources" designed to help people discount and discredit news they don't want to hear. Its designed for situations exactly like this where someone can not only share the content but it also makes them feel like they're smarter than "the media" -- you're smart! You see through it!

I'm assuming you mean the "media" that told us . . .

- George W. Bush skirted Air National Guard physicals and duties, via fake documents that CBS and Dan Rather chose to air as an October Surprise in 2004

- I saw dead bodies floating outside my hotel in New Orleans. My helicopter was getting shot at going into Iraq. Musings of the trusted lead Anchorman of a major network.

- The Benghazi attack was a spontaneous reaction to a Youtube video.

- They will continue to promote 'Hands Up, Don't Shoot' narrative even after it was proven to be false based upon the injury to the officer.

Maybe your precious media has always been the Wild West of truths and half-truths, it was just hidden behind the curtain. Sorry, that more information available to the public makes you uncomfortable.

Exactly.

Like I said before, our president-elect has far more important things he should be currently doing with his time than whining on Twitter about Meryl Streep's speech. Do Trump supporters just not give a shit that he's apparently not that interested in doing the job that they fought so hard to make sure he'd get, or...what?

Yeah, i don't get it. But I do know from my weird mma bubble sample size, that bitching about her speech crosses both sides of the political aisle. We're fucked.

Yeah, i don't get it. But I do know from my weird mma bubble sample size, that bitching about her speech crosses both sides of the political aisle. We're fucked.

Well, that settles it, there is nothing any of us can do about it.

America will be great again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom