Trump General Discussion IV: Unpresidented! Very sad! - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2017, 03:47 AM   #881
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
dabiggestu2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The edge of the known universe
Posts: 3,470
Local Time: 09:45 PM
Wow! Day one has brought so much craziness! At this rate I don't see this administration lasting 50 days let alone a single full term! I cant wqit to see what day 2 brings! I am sure it will be another disaster! Well done trump! Thanks for the entertainment!
__________________

dabiggestu2fan is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 04:01 AM   #882
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,370
Local Time: 08:15 AM
Do you have a full stop key on your keyboard?
__________________

Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 04:15 AM   #883
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
dabiggestu2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The edge of the known universe
Posts: 3,470
Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Do you have a full stop key on your keyboard?
Lol I sure like to use explanation marks as I just re read my comment. Yes full stop is fully working I think haha.
dabiggestu2fan is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 05:12 AM   #884
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,729
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
FYM became a Liberal Echo Chamber somewhere in the late 2000's. Honest debate between Conservative and Liberals (and there were some GREAT ones) gave way to FULL RETARD. No wonder this once engaging forum (that actually changed my my mind more than once) now seems like piece a tumbleweed on the plain...

The next 4 to 8 years (and most likely beyond) will be difficult for many of you. And if you study history - probably worse than you currently fear. Sad. Perhaps you should have been tolerant...the irony...
Wait, Trump got elected because the FYM section of Interference wasn't tolerant enough to let Conservatives just make their point and get away with it? Damn, this forum is powerful in a scary way!
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #885
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,724
Local Time: 03:45 PM
Yeah, from what I remember, many of the conservatives who left this place did so mainly because they started getting trolly with their posts and the conversations delved into personal attacks and stuff like that. If a member of this board knows we have LGBT posters here, for instance, and starts going on about how sinful and horrible gay marriage is, they shouldn't exactly be surprised when those gay people, as well as those who support same-sex rights, get upset at their comments. Same goes for people who say that anyone who isn't Christian, or who's pro-choice (I remember a LOT of abortion debates on here in the past that got awfully personal and upsetting), or whatever, are to blame for the downfall of our nation.

There were indeed conservatives here that I had wonderful debates with that I could name right off the top of my head, because they never made things personal, or got trolly with their comments. That sort of behavior is what's led to a lot of people (on both sides-there's a lot of liberal posters I remember who don't seem to be posting here anymore, either) to leave. Their political affiliation had little, if anything, to do with it.

(Case in point: saying this forum went "full retard" probably won't help endear people to your argument. I agree we've had some debates here lately get way out of hand with the insults and so forth, but there's better ways to make that point.)
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #886
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,729
Local Time: 10:45 PM
So unfair, can't even hide the evidence that he's dyslexic.

"Donald Trump just deleted a tweet. Now that he's president, that might not be legal."

https://mic.com/articles/166245/dona...ves#.79NgkWz8n


And welcome to your new educator-in-chief!


Of course it was all due to some inept staff member...
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #887
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,471
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
FYM became a Liberal Echo Chamber somewhere in the late 2000's. Honest debate between Conservative and Liberals (and there were some GREAT ones) gave way to FULL RETARD. No wonder this once engaging forum (that actually changed my my mind more than once) now seems like piece a tumbleweed on the plain...

The next 4 to 8 years (and most likely beyond) will be difficult for many of you. And if you study history - probably worse than you currently fear. Sad. Perhaps you should have been tolerant...the irony...



Could you not use that slur, please?
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #888
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Could you not use that slur, please?
Seriously.

The most interesting thing on this forum for the next 4 years will be seeing how long each of the Trump supporters can lie to themselves. Some will crack earlier than others.
anitram is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #889
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,729
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Finally hard-working American men can beat their wives with impunity again!

Quote:
These grants are small but crucial countermeasures in a system that’s built to cast doubt on survivors of sexual and intimate-partner violence. Without these programs, states and communities will be less able to help women who’ve been victimized rebuild their lives and hold their perpetrators accountable. Read this list of the grants the Trump administration wants to cut, and see if any of them sounds like a waste of funding.
Source:
Trump's planned elimination of violence against women grants is pure cruelty.
And the mentioned list:
https://www.justice.gov/ovw/page/file/914131/download
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #890
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,672
Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Yeah, from what I remember, many of the conservatives who left this place did so mainly because they started getting trolly with their posts and the conversations delved into personal attacks and stuff like that. If a member of this board knows we have LGBT posters here, for instance, and starts going on about how sinful and horrible gay marriage is, they shouldn't exactly be surprised when those gay people, as well as those who support same-sex rights, get upset at their comments. Same goes for people who say that anyone who isn't Christian, or who's pro-choice (I remember a LOT of abortion debates on here in the past that got awfully personal and upsetting), or whatever, are to blame for the downfall of our nation.

There were indeed conservatives here that I had wonderful debates with that I could name right off the top of my head, because they never made things personal, or got trolly with their comments. That sort of behavior is what's led to a lot of people (on both sides-there's a lot of liberal posters I remember who don't seem to be posting here anymore, either) to leave. Their political affiliation had little, if anything, to do with it.

(Case in point: saying this forum went "full retard" probably won't help endear people to your argument. I agree we've had some debates here lately get way out of hand with the insults and so forth, but there's better ways to make that point.)
And the posters who were more conservative like myself and Headache couldn't deal with the direction the Republican party was going, either. (though I have only ever registered with any party in order to participate in primaries, and have found it difficult at any point to find myself voting for a particular Republican, I do realize that I have many Conservative viewpoints. It's why I always try to stress that I don't have much to do with either political party, because they're both petty divorced from the political spectrum they're meant to represent at this point). Obviously I can't speak to Headache's reasons, but I am sure he and I are not the only two.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #891
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,471
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Raise your hand if you think Trumpets would have quietly accepted a Hillary victory and resolved to move on and support the new commander in chief. I mean, after he spent the final weeks of the campaign saying that if he lost it would only be because the system was "fixed."
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #892
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Raise your hand if you think Trumpets would have quietly accepted a Hillary victory and resolved to move on and support the new commander in chief. I mean, after he spent the final weeks of the campaign saying that if he lost it would only be because the system was "fixed."
I think all we need to do is look back at the 8 years of the Obama presidency for the sort of "respect" Republicans afford a president they lost to.
anitram is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #893
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,724
Local Time: 03:45 PM
Yeah, I very clearly remember reading about militia groups planning armed protests in D.C. if Hillary had won. The Trump supporters definitely would not have gone quietly into the night if the situation had been reversed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
And the posters who were more conservative like myself and Headache couldn't deal with the direction the Republican party was going, either. (though I have only ever registered with any party in order to participate in primaries, and have found it difficult at any point to find myself voting for a particular Republican, I do realize that I have many Conservative viewpoints. It's why I always try to stress that I don't have much to do with either political party, because they're both petty divorced from the political spectrum they're meant to represent at this point). Obviously I can't speak to Headache's reasons, but I am sure he and I are not the only two.
And that's precisely why I find it funny when the Trump supporters in these threads have complained about being alone in a room full of liberals/progressives. They seem to have completely missed Headache's constant mentions of the fact that he was a Republican, and you've noted your conservative views as well.

Trump supporters keep forgetting that it isn't just liberals/Democrats who can't stand Trump. There's plenty of people from their own party who are just as embarrassed that he's running our country, too.

But then again, the Republican leaders and politicians who criticized Trump throughout this campaign were dismissed as "part of the establishment" by the Trump supporters here, so... In their eyes, there's no valid reasons whatsoever to be against Trump. It's all just people who are being sour grapes and establishment individuals who just "don't understand" the frustrations of the people.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #894
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
FYM became a Liberal Echo Chamber somewhere in the late 2000's. Honest debate between Conservative and Liberals (and there were some GREAT ones) gave way to FULL RETARD. No wonder this once engaging forum (that actually changed my my mind more than once) now seems like piece a tumbleweed on the plain...

The next 4 to 8 years (and most likely beyond) will be difficult for many of you. And if you study history - probably worse than you currently fear. Sad. Perhaps you should have been tolerant...the irony...

If you find any of these honest conservatives that are capable of debate send them this way. Please.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is online now  
Old 01-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #895
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,729
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
We should also listen closely to those commentators raised under authoritarian regimes. They note that leaders in that mould often spread falsehoods, or at least try to make facts seems hazy and unknowable. If a chunk of the population are not sure what’s true and what’s not, their willingness to fight back is weakened. They are more likely to greet each new and deteriorating development with a shrug of confusion: “Who knows?”

More darkly still, the authoritarian regards telling the population lies to be a test of strength. The Trump White House will now watch closely to see who repeats Spicer’s lies without protest and who objects. Among the media, the former will be rewarded and the latter punished.

But it’s even more basic than that. Authoritarian strongmen crave control. If they can control what you believe – even make you believe that black is white and night is day – then their power over you is total. Not for nothing did George Orwell’s 1984 have the omnipotent Party persuade Winston Smith that if a Party official said he was holding up five fingers, then he really was holding up five – even if Smith could only see four

When a press secretary tells you a crowd reached all the way to the Washington Monument, even when every witness and photograph says otherwise, this tells you what game the Trump administration intends to play. Note the way Spicer took no questions and described the reception given to Trump by those CIA employees as “ecstatic”. This is a style of press briefing that is less Washington than Pyongyang.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-our-own-eyes

It seems paradoxical, but with more means to establish evidence it also becomes more easy to blatantly lie and get away with it. The Assad regime has always been famous for that, Putin uses it to perfection, Erdogan has adopted it and now Trump is about to follow in their footsteps.
Call everything into question, tell a lie and stick with it, and make people question what they see.
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #896
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 04:45 PM
"alternative facts"
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 01-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #897
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
FYM became a Liberal Echo Chamber somewhere in the late 2000's. Honest debate between Conservative and Liberals (and there were some GREAT ones) gave way to FULL RETARD. No wonder this once engaging forum (that actually changed my my mind more than once) now seems like piece a tumbleweed on the plain...

The next 4 to 8 years (and most likely beyond) will be difficult for many of you. And if you study history - probably worse than you currently fear. Sad. Perhaps you should have been tolerant...the irony...

I also have a few liberal friends(outside this forum) and we have discussed this shutting down of any discussion. by those calling themselves liberals. We all agree their (my friends) liberalism is more in line with classic liberalism. We can actually discuss and exchange ideas and even agree on issues every now and then. Not so with some who think of themselves liberals today.

I think what we see now in some people is not liberalism in play, but the radical left.

The left does not discuss, they slander and accuse. They do not seek compromise, they seek utter compliance.

Thoughts?
the iron horse is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #898
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,729
Local Time: 10:45 PM
You make a point when you say "some people", you negate that point when you follow with "the left". Define "the left", then you can talk about that subgroup in general terms. But otherwise "the left" is too broad a term.

Same goes the other way. People on the right aisle resort to slander and accusing just the same. Just take the women's march as example. People spending minutes and paragraphs explaining what exactly it is about, only to hear the latest buzzwords such as "snowflake", or that they are whining their candidate lost getting thrown at them.

Seeking utter compliance is not exclusive to either side.

I'd further argue there's a difference in the level of argument you engage based on whether it's online or face to face, and whether you have known each other or not.
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #899
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I also have a few liberal friends(outside this forum) and we have discussed this shutting down of any discussion. by those calling themselves liberals. We all agree their (my friends) liberalism is more in line with classic liberalism. We can actually discuss and exchange ideas and even agree on issues every now and then. Not so with some who think of themselves liberals today.

I think what we see now in some people is not liberalism in play, but the radical left.

The left does not discuss, they slander and accuse. They do not seek compromise, they seek utter compliance.

Thoughts?
I'm all for compromise.

I'm all for working together.

I do actually agree that both sides are guilty for failing to compromise.

This... this is different.

You can not compromise with an administration who ignore facts.

You can't compromise with people who spew radical conspiracy theories like "pizza gate" or, on the left, the 9/11 truthers.

You can't compromise science.

There are theories and ideas. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong.

Facts are facts. There are no "alternative facts.". There are only facts.

I readily welcome a time where we can get back to actually discussing things that are debatable, as opposed to trying to argue against fact.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 01-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #900
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Trump General Discussion IV: Unpresidented! Very sad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I also have a few liberal friends(outside this forum) and we have discussed this shutting down of any discussion. by those calling themselves liberals. We all agree that their liberalism is more in line with classic liberalism. We can actually discuss and exchange ideas and even agree on issues every now and then.



I think what we see now in some people is not liberalism in play, but the radical left.

The left does not discuss, they slander and accuse. They do not seek compromise, they seek utter compliance.



Thoughts?

And do your friends ever say it's the pot calling the kettle black?

Republicans have done nothing but obfuscate and slander for 8 years. You're liking and sharing sources that still call Obama a Muslim.

I find it curious that you believe you "discuss". Just recently you posted about 2 stories that were not true. One was very easy to disprove and the other was disproved by a bipartisan investigation years ago. Instead of admitting you were wrong or apologizing for posting false information, you threw a small tantrum accusing me of walking a party line and then threw in climate change for the heck of it even though it had absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

Is this what you call discussion or compromise? If so then I want no part of conservative "discussion".

If you are ever truly ready, then please let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

BVS is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×