Trump General Discussion IV: Unpresidented! Very sad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, it's not appropriate, but that certainly looks like satire to me.

Hm, I've seen enough of it from various people to believe it's sincere.

I'm not too comfortable with the criticism of Trump not serving in a war (especially when it's framed a particular way) and these "at least Germany had the guts to invade Russia" takes which have been aired on SNL.

To be fair, librulz aren't the only ones throwing around Nazi comparisons carelessly:

[TWEET]819164172781060096[/TWEET]

Dude may not be Hitler, but he is fucking pathetic.

Certainly not Hitler and even if he was the way the government is set up, there is no way that the USA or the world would allow trump to do what hitler did. He would be impeached/thrown out before that could happen. But what makes trump very dangerous is his big ego and his mouth and his habbit of throwing temper tantrums on Twitter! The danger of him is that he could say the wrong thing to the wrong crazy dude in high power in another nation and start a bad nasty war. Also he is dangerous in the sense that he could alienate the USA from the rest of the world! A hitler certainly not but a loose canon and a dbag, most certainly.

So what do the Trumpists here think of "alternative facts"? Or are you guys all too eager to excuse blatant lying?

It reminded me of a banner that's prominent at demonstrations against increased surveillance: "1984 was not supposed to be an instruction manual".

Doublespeak certainly features prominently with the new administration.

Hm, I've seen enough of it from various people to believe it's sincere.

I'm not too comfortable with the criticism of Trump not serving in a war (especially when it's framed a particular way) and these "at least Germany had the guts to invade Russia" takes which have been aired on SNL.

No clue, just seemed very tongue in cheek.

And yes, the criticism of not serving in war (or serving in the armed forces, or the boost for having done so, for any president or politician, is obnoxious. There's almost this type of blueprint of becoming a politician, and it starts with minimum service after graduation.

Trump is not Hitler and is not a Nazi. If Trump is anything he's a Totalitarian. I can easily see the administration turning the country into a Totalitarian State using the guise of patriotism. This "alternative facts" nonsense is straight out of Orwell. As for Trump not serving in the military.
That doesn't mean anything to me. It doesn't equate into how well or capable someone is in running the country. Another day. I wonder what insanity will come out of Trump today.

I think that they have to stop engaging these people.

If Kellyanne Conway and Priebus and Spicer or whoever are going to go on these shows and flat out lie, they need to be told that they will not be brought back. The interview ends at "alternative facts" and you're shown the door.

Believe me, they want and need the media coverage (despite their constant whining) more than the media needs them. Watch that "relationship" improve quickly.

I think that they have to stop engaging these people.

If Kellyanne Conway and Priebus and Spicer or whoever are going to go on these shows and flat out lie, they need to be told that they will not be brought back. The interview ends at "alternative facts" and you're shown the door.

Believe me, they want and need the media coverage (despite their constant whining) more than the media needs them. Watch that "relationship" improve quickly.
I think it was right of CNN and Fox to both call them out on their shit. They're setting their own precedent.

Also CNN wouldn't even show the presser live.

It's fun to laugh about "alternative facts" for a day or so, but we shouldn't let these people hanged language. Let's use real words and call them "lies" and pointnout that KAC and Trump and Speicer lie.

They are lying liars who lie, and people who believe them are fools.

Language matters.

I've said this like a bazillion times and each time I've been told that's turning a blind eye.

He thrives on attention and hysteria.

I think that before he was elected it was a different story because many (and certainly most decent) people believed that if everybody had a good sense of how disgusting of a person he was, he'd never be elected. Well, everyone was wrong.

Now they need to cut off his lifeline (media). If they have to cover him on occasion, that's one thing. There is no need whatsoever to have Kellyanne on any show.

Irony Is Dead #1:

Mitch McConnell whining about the democrats blocking Trump's picks.

Irony Is Dead #2:

[TWEET]823284663997210624[/TWEET]

When asked about irony, POTUS said "I don't know, we have a maid to do that. Best creases you've ever seen. The sharpest creases."

It's fun to laugh about "alternative facts" for a day or so, but we shouldn't let these people hanged language. Let's use real words and call them "lies" and pointnout that KAC and Trump and Speicer lie.

They are lying liars who lie, and people who believe them are fools.

Language matters.
Exactly. CNN has the right approach labelling them lies over and over again.

3-5million illegal votes! Once again he's spouting nonsense. This guy can't last can he? If he does he's going to do some serious damage somewhere.

Idiots who don't know what they are doing:

The reality is simple and brutal. Reinstating the global gag rule will not reduce abortions. Sub-Saharan Africa, for instance, had higher abortion rates after George W. Bush reinstated the gag rule, because it reduced women’s access to contraception and caused more unwanted pregnancies, which women then chose to terminate.

http://www.vox.com/identities/2017/1/23/14356582/trump-global-gag-rule-abortion

To further illustrate: The NGO I'm working with is, among other things, providing treatment to survivors of ISIS in Iraq. Both medical and psychological. We are just about to partner with an American provider of counselling for torture survivors. This will be funded by USAID. That program just entails a tiny portion of the work we do, but the global gag rule stipulates that by receiving any US funds, your entire organisation is banned from discussing abortion in any way.

And now we have the following situation: If a girl or woman who became pregnant from one of the ISIS idiots wants to terminate the pregnancy, we cannot discuss it with her anymore. We cannot publically advocate for a woman's access to abortion, either; a problem for many survivors because abortions ar illegal in the country, but they are not willing to live on if they have to take the baby to term.

Now, we are not dependent on this project. But many other organisations are. More info on the global gag rule and its ramifications here: PAI - Gag Rule

Cori, find me an Alyssa Edwards gif for "you lie you lie you never lied so damn much" or whatever that line was. Thx.

he is so stupid - that is exactly what he has achieved by pulling out (re. China)

if he wants the US to be an island, the rest of the world will just carry on without him LOL

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-and-indonesia-joining-tpp-after-us-pulls-out

The Australian government will push ahead for a Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal without the United States and is open to Indonesia, China and others seeking to join the agreement.

The Australian trade minister, Steven Ciobo, made the call for countries to push ahead with a so-called TPP 12-minus-one agreement now that the US president, Donald Trump, has signed an order that the US will not join the deal.

On Monday evening, the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, reportedly confirmed Australia’s commitment to the TPP in a phone conversation with Japan’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe.

At a media conference on Tuesday, Turnbull said there was no question that the US pulling out was a “big loss” for the TPP. Asked if TPP countries should push for China to join, Turnbull said there was “potential” for it do so.

“It is possible that US policy could change over time on this, as it has done on other trade deals,” he said, noting that Congress and the secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, were in favour of the TPP.

“There is also the opportunity for the TPP to proceed without the United States.”

Analysis What is the TPP and is it over? The Guardian briefing
Donald Trump says US will leave Trans-Pacific Partnership on his first day as president. What does it mean for a trade deal that took seven years to build?
Read more
On Tuesday Ciobo told ABC’s AM that a TPP with the US “can’t go ahead unless the US was to change its mind” but Japan, Australia and others wanted to hold on to the gains negotiated so far under the deal.

He said Australia had had talks with Canada, Mexico, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Chile and Peru to salvage the deal without US involvement.

Advertisement

Asked about China joining in the US’s stead, Ciobo said the original architecture enabled other countries to join.

“Certainly I know Indonesia has expressed a possible interest and there would be scope for China, if we’re able to reformulate it, to be a TPP 12 minus one [country] ... [and] for countries like Indonesia or China, or indeed other countries, to consider joining.”

Last edited:
i guess TPP must have been one of the facts they "disagreed with" :lol:

aside from the obvious plug for his company half-way thru, i thought this was an interesting article

https://shift.newco.co/https-medium...of-an-era-but-the-end-72a86833f0a3#.do9m3d193

Why Trump’s Inauguration is Not the Beginning of an Era — but the End
“We are suffering just now from a bad attack of economic pessimism. It is common to hear people say that the epoch of enormous economic progress which characterized the 19th century is over; that the rapid improvement in the standard of life is now going to slow down — at any rate in Great Britain; that a decline in prosperity is more likely than an improvement in the decade which lies ahead of us.
I believe that this is a wildly mistaken interpretation of what is happening to us. We are suffering, not from the rheumatics of old age, but from the growing-pains of over-rapid changes, from the painfulness of readjustment between one economic period and another… John Maynard Keynes, Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren (1930)”

The Brexit vote in England and then the election of Donald Trump, those two unexpected but consequential convulsions, are going to bring some big changes, many to be feared, but others to be welcomed. To my mind, both were driven by fear of the future and “a wildly mistaken interpretation of what is happening to us.” Both are going to make for some near-term chaos, but in the end I actually think they are going to accelerate changes that finally need to come.
I did not see Trump coming. I was one of those who could not believe that the America I knew, a country of decent, common-sense people, could elect a person like him. I was despondent on election night and disoriented for weeks. I’ve spent the last couple months listening, reading, thinking, and staying open to what is really happening, and what now needs to be done. On the eve of his inauguration, here’s my positive reframe of what I think is really going on:
Trump Begins The End
Trump is a symptom of something much bigger and more fundamental going on in the world. So are the people behind Brexit in Great Britain. They are not driving the change, they are reacting to the change. They are not showing the way forward, they are making desperate attempts to cling to the past, a past that is gone forever.
The world is in the relatively early stages of an almost inevitable transition to what can be best understood as a new 21st-century civilization. Relatively early — meaning roughly one-third of the way through. And almost inevitable — meaning it can be derailed if we make some catastrophic political choices.
There are three fundamentally different characteristics of this civilization: One, it will be run totally on digital technologies, smarter and smarter, more and more interconnected computers. Two, it will be totally global and operate on a planetary scale. And three, it will have to be sustainable, in its energy usage and its impact on the planet.
All three of these shifts are well underway and can be tracked and explained by pointing to investments, the morphing of the advanced economy, the positioning of leading companies, and just following what innovative people are doing. In many ways, these developments are happening despite what governments do. Governments can make things better, and accelerate changes, or slow down changes, but they can’t stop them at this macro level.
That said, politics can really screw things up. Changes of this magnitude can be very scary. New digital technologies allow totally new ways to do almost everything so they are very disruptive to old industries. The newest developments arriving just now are especially scary — self-driving cars, advanced robots, artificial intelligence. The globalization of everything is unleashing floods of cheap goods as well as waves of migrants.
It’s easy for politicians to whip up public fears against these changes and rally people to go back to the old ways, to make America great again. This is the standard playbook for right-wing nationalism. In the 1930s, when Keynes wrote the prescient passage above, that era’s right wing took those fears and drove a good chunk of the world into fascism and a world war. Today Trump is heading down that path — but he won’t get far.
I think Trump ultimately is going to do America and the world a service by becoming the vehicle that will finally take down right-wing conservative politics for a generation or two. He is getting the entire Republican conservative establishment to buy into his regime. He is creating an administration that is blatantly all about rule by — and for — billionaires, sold out to the oil and carbon industries, and celebrating an out-of-control corporate capitalism. It will be a caricature of conservative policies. In short order he will completely and irrevocably alienate all the growing political constituencies of the 21st century: the Millennial Generation, people of color, educated professionals, women. He’ll eventually do the same for a significant number of more moderate Republicans. And does anyone out there really think Trump will do anything for the white working class that got him elected? Watch as repealing Obamacare blows up in his face.
I think the backlash will be fast and furious. And it won’t just be Trump that goes down — it will be large swaths of conservative Republicans who will be almost helpless to stop Trump or distance themselves from him. They will pay the price for creating the conditions that created him. I think the next 4 to 8 years are going to see a serious sea change in politics — to the left, not the right. The analogy is closer to what happened to the conservative Republicans coming out of the 1930s — they were out of power for the next 50 years.
A Hillary Clinton win would not have brought about that kind of political transformation. She would have ground out some progress through trench warfare and built somewhat on Obama’s legacy— but the Republicans would have locked her down worse than they did with Obama. Hillary would not have been able to finally bring down the conservative movement and its archaic ideology. The conservatives arguably brought a healthy revitalization to Western politics in the Reagan/Thatcher era. But that vitality is long gone and the movement has been running on the same old out-moded ideas for decades now. The world needs to move on.
Hillary would not have been the transformational leader that America needs right now either. We need leadership to help take the world to the next level, making the full transition to digital technologies, reshaping capitalism to rebalance massive inequalities, and making big progress on climate change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom