Trump General Discussion IV: Unpresidented! Very sad! - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #301
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,830
Local Time: 04:34 PM


I do believe that both Clinton & Obama brought down the deficit.
__________________

dazzledbylight is offline  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #302
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,471
Local Time: 05:34 PM
good luck with this, kids.

Trump Promises On Health Insurance Appealed To Family Struggling With Cost : Shots - Health News : NPR


i have no doubt that Obamacare premiums may have been as much a determinate of the election as much as Comey or fake news or any other reason given for the results.

but what i hear from these people is what they really want is a public option. that seems to be the only solution where everyone has access to quality insurance, and that insurance is affordable.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #303
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 05:34 PM
Oregoropa, so that you don't accuse me of just soundbytes, I'm wondering if you've taken a look at the House Republicans' tax code amendments? The alleged Mexican Wall funding is meant to come from the so-called border adjustment. I'm wondering if you actually believe that the plan, as proposed, would not add significantly to the deficit?
anitram is offline  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #304
Refugee
 
monkeyskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,638
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
good luck with this, kids.

Trump Promises On Health Insurance Appealed To Family Struggling With Cost : Shots - Health News : NPR


i have no doubt that Obamacare premiums may have been as much a determinate of the election as much as Comey or fake news or any other reason given for the results.

but what i hear from these people is what they really want is a public option. that seems to be the only solution where everyone has access to quality insurance, and that insurance is affordable.

Part of that article stood out to me:

"It's frustrating, she said, because she and her husband are relatively healthy and haven't needed that much care."

Maybe it's different in the US, but I always thought that insurance was something one purchased to help in the event of needing it, not because they had a current reason to claim? I've got car insurance but have yet to have an accident *touch wood*. And I didn't need to buy home insurance but I'm glad I did when I was burgled.

The article also says that previously, insurance was optional but only available to those with a pre-existing condition. Get sick without insurance? Tough shit. Bet you wish you had coverage now.

America's health insurance situation certainly needs an overhaul, both pre and post-ACA, but it seems that a little education for its citizens on why insurance is so important in the first place wouldn't be a bad place to start.
monkeyskin is offline  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #305
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Do you miss the good old days when the press just fainted in the presence of POTUS? This guy is an embarrassment to journalists everywhere.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Yeah I voted for him, and I would do it again. He's a bull in a China Shop, and the China Shop is our government which has descended into a cronyist morass over the past 20 years. 15 trillion in debt since 2000. It's time to break some china (no pun intended). I didn't watch the whole press conference, but I thoroughly enjoyed the parts that I did. The press has a lower trustworthy rating among the Public than the congressional favorability rating of ~15%.



CNN has truly become a joke. Proven collusion with the DNC against Bernie and Trump. If you say that is BS, then why was DWS forced to resign? That is not journalistic integrity of holding Truth to Power.



We have had 8 years of Obama bashing Fox News. Trump calls CNN 'fake news' and suddenly everybody is panicked that the 1st Amendment is on the chopping block.



Everybody take a deep breath.

FFS you have to learn to make honest and real comparisons.

I've edited this post 5 times, trying really hard to be nice; it's embarrassing that you think this is the same.




Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is online now  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #306
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,471
Local Time: 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
America's health insurance situation certainly needs an overhaul, both pre and post-ACA, but it seems that a little education for its citizens on why insurance is so important in the first place wouldn't be a bad place to start.


i think people understand why they need insurance, i think the problem has been the sticker shock of what it costs to insure unhealthy people who were previously uninsured.

also, this is fine. just fine.

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Donald Trump was met with a rousing round of applause when he exited the elevators Wednesday at Trump Tower for his first press conference in 167 days.

But that enthusiastic greeting came from supporters and members of his own staff, not the estimated hundreds of reporters who gathered to ask him questions.

Trump's family waited in the wings of the stage to his right, while senior advisers including Steve Bannon, Kellyanne Conway, Sean Spicer and Steve Mnuchin stood to the left, out of view of the cameras. A small, vocal group clustered near Trump's family by the elevators acted as cheerleaders for the President-elect for the duration of the hour-long event, laughing heartily at his jokes and responding aloud to his rhetorical questions.

When Trump asked if Russian president Vladimir Putin would have found Hillary Clinton to be a greater adversary, a few of his staffers called out "no!"

His mention of his longtime secretary, Rhona Graff, while he recalled how he set up his own test to smoke out any leakers on his staff after a meeting with U.S. intelligence officials was also met with a knowing chuckle.


This chorus of affirmation made a jarring contrast to the adversarial tone of the press conference itself. Trump refused to take questions from a reporter from CNN, which he branded "fake news," and from BuzzFeed, which he called a "failing pile of garbage."

CNN on Tuesday published a report that U.S. intelligence officials presented both Trump and President Barack Obama with a two-page document summarizing allegations that Russian operatives had "compromising personal and financial information" about the President-elect, while BuzzFeed published the 35-page dossier from which the news site said those allegations were drawn.

Most notably, applause broke out in Trump’s cheering section when he shut down the repeated efforts of CNN’s Jim Acosta to get a question in and admonished him not to be “rude.”

“No, I'm not going to give you a question,” Trump told Acosta. “I am not going to give you a question. You are fake news.”

“Mr. President-elect that is not appropriate,” Acosta interjected.


As other reporters stood up to get the President-elect’s attention, a few in Trump’s circle whooped and others clapped enthusiastically.

Because Trump's staffers and supporters were blocked by a line of reporters crowded into the packed room, it was difficult to differentiate them from members of the press. That prompted some observers on Twitter to believe that it was the assembled journalists applauding

Trump Staff Laughed, Clapped Along During Adversarial Press Conference
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:56 PM   #307
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,370
Local Time: 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I also love how the right is laughing at CNN as if the left likes them.

I blame CNN largely for where we are today. It's their 20 years of "presenting both sides" and "both sides do it" false equivocating and their running of Trump's events, speeches, interviews 24/7 for the last year that contributed to him getting elected. Appalling behaviour driven by ratings/money.

So they can go fuck right off along with the revolting Trump.
Agreed, I've never liked CNN nor channels similar to it - have felt this long before I reached my current politics. I think the US right wing is much more tied to defending Fox News than US liberals are with the likes of MSNBC or CNN.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 12:46 AM   #308
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,724
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Yeah I voted for him, and I would do it again. He's a bull in a China Shop
No, he's just a jerk. And not a jerk in the "Yeah, he's an asshole, but he gets things done" sort of way. He's just a jerk in the "bullies everyone and treats people like shit for no reason" sort of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
and the China Shop is our government which has descended into a cronyist morass over the past 20 years. 15 trillion in debt since 2000. It's time to break some china (no pun intended).
First off, I'll refer you other people's comments here about the deficit.

Second, if you honestly believe Trump is NOT going to add to our deficit, if you honestly believe he's a true "outsider" who'll fix the cronyism that runs through Washington, well, that is some serious naivete at work. He can't een keep his businesses from going under. What in the hell makes you think he's honestly going to do any better at handling the financial aspects of our government.

And third, if you and other Trump supporters really cared about trying to stop the establishment/cronyism shit, then why in the world did so many of you re-elect many of the same people to Congress? Incumbents won a lot of races last November. Explain how that's changing the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
I didn't watch the whole press conference, but I thoroughly enjoyed the parts that I did. The press has a lower trustworthy rating among the Public than the congressional favorability rating of ~15%.

CNN has truly become a joke. Proven collusion with the DNC against Bernie and Trump. If you say that is BS, then why was DWS forced to resign? That is not journalistic integrity of holding Truth to Power.
Again, you're presuming people here are CNN fans.

And yes, the press is failing with people...because they let clickbait and fake news BS run the day, and they let things that are not at all true stand on TV because of some misguided view of "letting both sides speak".

Also, you complain about CNN being in cahoots with the DNC and whatnot. Fox News is just as much of a shill for the conservative politicians and cozies up to them, too. Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee were involved with that network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
We have had 8 years of Obama bashing Fox News. Trump calls CNN 'fake news' and suddenly everybody is panicked that the 1st Amendment is on the chopping block.
One, Obama calling out Fox News for the lies they constantly spout is not "bashing" them, it's stating facts.

Two, I'm not going at Trump's press conference from a First Amendment angle. Trump calling CNN "fake news" is frankly the least of my concerns regarding his press conference. But for Trump to complain about the media telling lies is hilarious. He sure seemed to have no problem supporting anything the media said about Hillary, regardless of how untrue it is. He spent years making a big thing out of Obama not being born here, and didn't care that the news reported on it.

But now that the tables are turned on him suddenly he throws one of his usual temper tantrums, compares them to Nazi Germany, and everyone's suddenly lying and making shit up. Now that he's getting a taste of his own medicine, he can't handle it. That is hypocrisy of the highest order, and THAT is what is pissing people off.

Along with, again, the fact that he's so thin-skinned and unhinged that he can't respond to anyone in a calm, rational manner. He picks fights and whines. Anyone who wants the job of president has to learn to build a significantly thicker skin than that, because if he gets this bent out of shape at a press conference, he is not going to have a good time when a foreign leader calls him out, or when the public disagrees with something he does (which will no doubt happen on a regular basis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Everybody take a deep breath.
When Trump proves himself to be a mature human being and shows some actual understanding of and respect for the job he's about to take on, then maybe I will.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 04:13 AM   #309
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
FFS you have to learn to make honest and real comparisons.

I've edited this post 5 times, trying really hard to be nice; it's embarrassing that you think this is the same.




Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Oh Beevs, you know I love you deep down. Even if you were to insult me. You would be my choice to share a foxhole with if this were 72 years ago.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Oregoropa is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #310
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 04:34 PM
BVS was successful, as embarrassing is the absolute nicest way to put it.

There's being loyal to your party, and there's being blind. You, sir, are Steveie fucking Wonder.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 01-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #311
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
mama cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,293
Local Time: 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
mama cass is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #312
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
mama cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,293
Local Time: 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
I didn't watch the whole press conference, but I thoroughly enjoyed the parts that I did.
for real? the guy was completely illiterate and incoherent - didn't answer a single question - just random garbling
mama cass is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #313
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,471
Local Time: 05:34 PM
I'm watching Lindsay Graham and Ted Cruz complain about the UN treatment of Israel and talk about how Obama has been so terrible, our enemies don't fear us and our friends don't trust us, etc.

And it feels ok. Because they are speaking actual, understandable, appropriate language on topic about which they are informed. And you know what, they aren't talking about themselves and how great they are, just terrific, and how there are so many sick, sick people out there who are out to get them.

The difference between these two and our PEOTUS is profound, and these two are hardly a high bar. But I feel like they are using their words in appropriate, informed ways and are speaking about something other than themselves. They are wrong, but they are using a langue with which we can disagree.

The Trump team and their denial of reality and discrediting of facts are a bunch of nihilists.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #314
War Child
 
TheFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 763
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I'm watching Lindsay Graham and Ted Cruz complain about the UN treatment of Israel and talk about how Obama has been so terrible, our enemies don't fear us and our friends don't trust us, etc.

And it feels ok. Because they are speaking actual, understandable, appropriate language on topic about which they are informed. And you know what, they aren't talking about themselves and how great they are, just terrific, and how there are so many sick, sick people out there who are out to get them.

The difference between these two and our PEOTUS is profound, and these two are hardly a high bar. But I feel like they are using their words in appropriate, informed ways and are speaking about something other than themselves. They are wrong, but they are using a langue with which we can disagree.

The Trump team and their denial of reality and discrediting of facts are a bunch of nihilists.
Bring back George W, he's like a dream compared to Trump. Trump is a con artist and trying to bluff his way through being president, he clearly doesn't know what he's doing which combined with his lashing out and narcissism is a terrifying prospect. If we think it's bad so far, it's only going to get much worse.
TheFox is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #315
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 6,163
Local Time: 10:34 PM
This is a interesting read : Intelligence sources vouch for credibility of Russia dossier author https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...dossier-author
Rono is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #316
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 04:34 PM
if it insults our glorious orange leader, then it must be fake news #OrangeLivesMatter
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 01-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #317
New Yorker
 
Hollow Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,635
Local Time: 05:34 PM
Repealing Obamacare will lead to a $7 million tax cut for each of the 400 richest Americans and nothing for people making less than $200,000. And millions if the poorest will lose healthcare! That's totally fair.
Hollow Island is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #318
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 05:34 PM
anitram is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #319
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 04:34 PM
you guys are just living in the liberal echo bubble. if you'd get off your elitist high horses you'd see all the good Trump is going to do.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 01-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #320
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,471
Local Time: 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
you guys are just living in the liberal echo bubble. if you'd get off your elitist high horses you'd see all the good Trump is going to do.

do for Russia.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×