Trump General Discussion III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Now that my holiday weekend is done, let's do this.

Moonlit,

You often bring this talking point up.

Where do you get your news? TV/websites/radio?

I get my news from local and state newspapers, as well as USA Today and Associated Press articles I see online. I've also occasionally caught CBS and ABC's evening news broadcasts before the local news at six. And sometimes if I'm in the car or the radio's on where I'm working, I'll hear news updates on the hour there. I also sometimes read Time and Newsweek, as well as various other news-related magazines (I know I've read a bit of National Review on occasion, too).

I don't watch any of the major three news networks with any sort of regularity. I've caught bits and pieces of them from time to time, sure, but usually that only happens if one of those networks is on when I'm out at a restaurant or in a waiting area for some kind of appointment of some kind. I don't watch them regularly not so much because of bias one way or another, but because I'm just not big on the way they try and fill airtime between big news stories, or CNN's weird fascination with all their graphics, or the "Let's go to Twitter to see what you have to say!" stuff (I don't know if they still do that with the Twitter thing now, but I've seen it in the past and it bugs me. If I want to know what people on Twitter think, I'll go on Twitter myself, thanks).

Also, in my area, I'm most likely to encounter Fox News when I'm in some public place. CNN would be second in that list. Honestly, though, I really don't even need to go look at conservative-leaning media to hear what people on that side of the aisle think. I can just go to my own relatives or people in this area to hear that.

In this day and age people can pick their media like going through a Chinese Restaurant Menu. This from column A, this from column B, and this from column C.

My sister did this on the extreme liberal side, and Trump became an absolute monster in her mind. It was magnified to the nth degree

Yes, you're right that many people cater their media to their specific worldview. Something which I feel is a problem on many levels.

But Trump himself did a hell of a lot to shape people's negative view of him. All he has to do is open his mouth or post something on Twitter and that's enough to let people get an idea of what he's like. I don't need to hear the outrage of some pundit on a media outlet to know that a guy who has no problem mocking and insulting women's looks on social media and in public speeches, for example, is probably going to be an asshole across the board.

I will say this, though, I think the media didn't quite figure out how to handle talking about Trump's BS in a proper and professional way sometimes. To Trump, there was no such thing as bad press, and he reveled in the attention the media gave him, no matter how negative it was. I think they had every right to call him out on his crap, especially the longer his campaign ran and the harder it was to treat it like the joke it should've been from the get-go. But I don't know that they really figured out how to make that balance work.

Course, even if they had done their job and reported on his lies and insults and nasty rhetoric the way a responsible journalist should, I really don't know that it would've mattered, unfortunately, because, as you said, people pick and choose their media outlets nowadays. Most of the people who liked and supported Trump probably wouldn't have listened to anything the more critical journalists said anyway (I've seen comments from Trump supporters online who've turned on Megyn Kelly due to her criticism of him). Trump supporters were in their own little bubble just as much as non-Trump supporters were, so sadly, any attempts to warn people of just how crappy a candidate Trump was would've been nothing more than preaching to the choir.

I chose to watch FNC, used an app called "63red" that ingested Historical Conservative Outlets, from time to time read articles outside of my Trump-Comfort zone. Just to see the opposition viewpoint. Watched a bit of CNN and Morning Joe clips.

The best thing was to watch the rallies-debates of Trump and Clinton unfiltered.

That is how I chose my information. I tried not to have full tunnelvision. Not accusing you of that.

If you want to understand what you might be missing, I'd recommend watching Fox News from 5-7 pm on a weeknight. 5-6 pm is The Five. 6-7 is Special Report with Brett Baier. It is not full on Trump worship. In fact you have several prominent Trump skeptics . . . George Will, Charles Krauthammer, Juan Williams

I'm familiar with the criticism George Will and Charles Krauthammer have made, both of Trump and of some aspects of the conservative worldview in general in recent years. I appreciate their attempts to call out some of the nonsense in their party-from what I've read, I think sometimes their reasons for being opposed to him run counter to my reasons, but still, any attempt to not be in lockstep, to allow for some criticism within a party, is always a good and necessary thing.

I may also check out the time periods of Fox News that you note sometime, see what they have to say. I believe Shepherd Smith has been known to be among the more critical set, too, sometimes, has he not? I too definitely try to look at other viewpoints-it's one of the many reasons I've never blocked anyone on here.

I also appreciate your respectful tone in your post here. That said, I'd still like to hear your thoughts on the questions I raised in my post:

-Why is Obama seen as an elitist among conservatives, but Trump, who has multiple properties and mansions, actual gold-plated items, and the like, is not considered an elitist?

-Do you agree there are some issues with racism, sexism, and homophobia within the Republican Party? If so, how do you think those issues should be addressed, both by politicians who are looking to gain voters and by people who use those issues to decide who to vote for or not vote for? If not, why do you not believe those are issues (or rather, why do you think those issues aren't as big of a concern to people as many on the left claim)?

-Do you agree that people like Bill Ayers and Reverend Wright were detrimental to Obama back when he ran in 2008 due to whatever association they had with him, regardless of how big or small that association was? If so, why shouldn't the same concern be afforded to David Duke and the KKK's support of Trump, or people who are in Trump's cabinet, such as Bannon, or Pence, who, let's remember, supports conversion therapy for gay people?

If and when you have a moment, I'd really like to hear your answers.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, definitely agreed on that. I just don't know that they really knew sometimes how to make it clear he was a monster, or they treated him like the joke they thought he was until it was practically too late. We've talked before about how the guy had so many scandals and stupid shit come out of his mouth to where it became treated as, "Oh, hey, look at this newest dumb thing Trump did/said this week" and I think sometimes the media didn't seem to know how to keep up, or didn't have as much opportunity to explore each new dumb thing in depth.

That, and we've seen the deep aversion some have to any and all "mainstream media", the assumption that all mainstream media is automatically pushing a "liberal agenda" when really, many issues have less to do with a liberal/conservative divide and more to do with just sharing, y'know, basic facts. The legalization of same-sex marriage, for example, was treated as pushing a "liberal agenda" in some people's eyes, because apparently letting people have civil rights is a "liberal agenda" now. And any criticism of Trump is people being "mean" to him, or not respecting him as our next president, or the result of "whiny liberals not getting over it/overreacting", instead of being seen as holding any validity. Like you said, all we have to do is go to Trump's own Twitter account to show how much of a creep he can be.

As for the whole issue of bias that's come up in recent pages, speaking on a general level, I have no problem with a media outlet having and expressing a conservative viewpoint on an issue. I may not agree with the viewpoint, but I'll hear them out all the same. But there's a vast difference between simply holding a conservative viewpoint and denying/dismissing basic facts, and some media outlets do not seem to know the difference between the two. For instance, somebody can go on their political website or go on their news program and express a pro-life attitude. But if they start talking about Planned Parenthood supposedly selling baby parts or whatever that dumb attempt at a scandal was that some "undercover investigators" tried to drum up, well...that's not news. That's flat out lying and making shit up. And it does a serious disservice to any valid arguments the pro-life side would have.

/end rambling tangent.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with the criticism George Will and Charles Krauthammer have made, both of Trump and of some aspects of the conservative worldview in general in recent years. I appreciate their attempts to call out some of the nonsense in their party-from what I've read, I think sometimes their reasons for being opposed to him run counter to my reasons, but still, any attempt to not be in lockstep, to allow for some criticism within a party, is always a good and necessary thing.

:up::up:

Fascinating map tool. Basically gives you the power to move counties to different states and change the outcomes of the 2012 or 2016 Elections. It can cut both ways electorally. Recalculates new state populations, Electoral votes. Basically you can gerrymander the whole United States.

As a Geography Nut I have been waiting for a site like this my whole internet life.

Redraw the States

He's going to take credit for EVERY single good thing that happens from here on out and blame every single bad thing on everyone else.

Economy takes an uptick before he does a thing.

Trump: "Thank you, I told you, I have the greatest mind.

Economy dips after his first executive order.

Trump: "The Mexicans are to blame for this. The media won't cover it fairly. Sad."

Another company that was never moving its factory, hires 10 people.

Trump: "I made this yuge deal, saved 1000 of great jobs. Now people will be able to afford Trumpcare."

Climate change wipes out Florida.

Trump: "Someone's causing the hurricanes. I don't know, but a lot of real smart people are talking, and they're saying it's the Mexicans. I mean I love taco bowls, but someone's destroying this planet."

That's pretty much how I picture the first week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

View attachment 11029

We should all thank our new king for making Christmas great again.

He truly is a nutcase. A pure narcissist. Unfortunately, a lot of people didn't see that and now they may lose their health insurance and then some.

And the white supremacist groups have their own plans too ifTrump doesn't deliver...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ump-white-supremacy-backlash?CMP=share_btn_tw

I smell a lot of turmoil and violence in America's future, more than there is now. And I think Trump wants to see that happen so he can step in, somehow fix it (to some extent) and come across as the hero. The question will be how many people will buy that.

So much for Christmas being about Jesus. At least he admits it's about shopping.

Where are the outraged Christian Republicans?

So much for Christmas being about Jesus. At least he admits it's about shopping.

Where are the outraged Christian Republicans?

Can you even imagine what they would say if the black president had said anything even remotely similar to that?

It's going to be 4 years of the purest hypocrisy, of the likes we've never seen.

Polls!

SECTIONS
Tweet
email
NEXT ARTICLE
Nearly 50% of Trump fans believe Clinton's involved in pedophilia
BY CHRIS SOMMERFELDT
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Updated: Wednesday, December 28, 2016, 4:45 AM

Nearly half of all Donald Trump voters believe a widely debunked conspiracy theory claiming that Hillary Clinton is involved in a child sex ring run out of a popular Washington, D.C. pizzeria, a recent poll suggests.

The Economist/YouGov poll released Tuesday shows that a staggering 46% of Trump voters believe the so-called “Pizzagate” conspiracy, which began circulating on obscure sites like 4chan and Reddit ahead of Election Day before spurring controversy on Twitter and Facebook.

No, he was thanking the responsible party:
618px-Donald_Duck.svg.png

We elected an evil David Brent

I don't understand the logic that leads people to making comments like "well i don't think he'll really get rid of X." Those excuses get thrown around on anything from the wall, to healthcare, to the Muslim registry, to debate on appointing a supreme court justice looking to overturn marriage equality, etc. The fact that politicians make promises they can't keep while campaigning is a reality of any election, but it normally comes in the form of a positive reason to vote for someone. Like if you voted Obama based solely off him saying he was going to shut down Guantanamo Bay. Politician says something + you want that thing = it doesn't happen. That equation makes sense under the guise of politicians promise things they don't always deliver on vs voting based on them. Politician says something + "well I don't really want that and he doesn't really mean it despite it being the general GOP position on the issue and a thing he just said he'd do" = shock that the very thing may actually happen? I mean, supposedly it's a thing that the victims of con men and scam artists refuse to believe it when they've been taken advantage of.

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
Doing my best to disregard the many inflammatory President O statements and roadblocks.Thought it was going to be a smooth transition - NOT!
9:07 AM - 28 Dec 2016

The president-elect is making NOT joke's on Twitter. I give him this, he knows his audience. I'm surprised he didn't do it in meme form.

The president-elect is making NOT joke's on Twitter. I give him this, he knows his audience. I'm surprised he didn't do it in meme form.

So does this mean 1994 (or thereabouts, i'm not exactly sure what year it was where not jokes were considered the pinnacle of humor, but i'd say 94 is the general ballpark) is when America was last great?

i'm waiting with baited breath for the day he quotes the illustrious Pee Wee Herman and tells a troll that he knows they are but what is he.

That "i've been here so long i remember" thread reminds me. I remember when headache was a republican! ;) it's also a good thing that for some reason I remember his AIM handle, since we'll be reverting back to a time when America was great I may need it as a means of communication again.

Last edited:
How many of these supposed "roadblocks" are actually "The Trump team has no fucking clue what they're doing"?

So does this mean 1994 (or thereabouts, i'm not exactly sure what year it was where not jokes were considered the pinnacle of humor, but i'd say 94 is the general ballpark) is when America was last great?

I'm just trying to figure out how Republicans can sit there and talk about how America is the greatest, bestest country in the whole wide world while simultaneously saying and supporting the idea that it needs to be made great again. How does that work?

Also, can somebody please, for the love of God, take Trump's Twitter away from him permanently? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom